Customer Discussions > Flags of Our Fathers forum

Any opposition to reviews?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 14, 2006 1:50:46 PM PDT
All the reviews shown hwere were glowing! Doesn't anyone agree with me that the book was boring; too consumed with minute detail; Author seemed to want to insert every tidbit of information he had found. Anyone agree?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2006 4:34:54 PM PDT
Karen says:
no, this book was not boring, if japanese were shooting at you, the details would matter. These men gave their lifes so you could live in a free world. James Bradley did insert the details because they mattered, like what harlon said when he was killed, it matters because those details touch people. If the book said "yeah they took Iwo Jima and they died" it does not serve justice to the men whos blood was mixed in the dirt on that little island.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2006 4:35:39 PM PDT
Karen says:
no, this book was not boring, if japanese were shooting at you, the details would matter. These men gave their lifes so you could live in a free world. James Bradley did insert the details because they mattered, like what harlon said when he was killed, it matters because those details touch people. If the book said "yeah they took Iwo Jima and they died" it does not serve justice to the men whos blood was mixed in the dirt on that little island.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2006 7:33:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2006 7:34:38 PM PST
JB says:
If you were bored like Ethel above, then read For Love of Pete by Penelope Dyan, the story of the 5th Marine Divison and the kid who played the taps there on that mountain. It's based on what actually happened there--nothing made up about the basics of what happened. Plus she weaves a delightful story into the mix that is nothing but interesting; and she tops it off with a wonderful trinute to those who died on Iwo Jima by listing the known dead of Iwo at the end of her book! Facinating! Some tales need a woman to tell them in order to get beyond the basics of the kill.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2007 7:39:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2007 7:45:59 PM PDT
K. Loh says:
Yes, this is a good book. I agree. However, it's certainly not one of those books that you must read before you die. The authors, consciously or not, used quite many lines beatifying John Bradley. Granted, if Mr. Bradley was not a great person, his son James would not have gone through the great troubles to research and initiate the writing of this book. However, this slight favor of one of the six flagraisers really throws the book off balance in certain sections. I'd really like to see and learn more about the personal demons of Ira Hayes and Rene Gagnon.

In addition, there seems to be a contradiction on how John Bradley handled the flagraising event in his family. While in the early pages, he is said to be almost silent about the event, the later part of the story reveals otherwise.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2008 11:44:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2008 12:11:11 PM PDT
Elizabeth~ says:
I have to say I agree with K. Loh in that Bradley seems to be contradictory on several points which concern his father's 'silence'. As the book progresses, I find many times that this simply isn't true - by his own account. Additionally, I find it disgusting that Mr. Bradley chose to visit th island and then piss on it! I'm sure your modest father would be very proud of you and your brother. And I am bothered by the constant dragging through the mud of Ira, Rene & his wife, while we learned all about the authors accomplishments as 6 or 7 times being class President.....are you not sure how many times youheld that honor or what?

Without taking any glory or valor away from the marines, by James Bradley's account, there were no other branches of the US military at work during this time.

And finally, who the heck edited this story? And where exactly do these numbers come from?? factual? not from what I can see.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2010 10:38:57 AM PDT
Are you the Ethel Dedering who was librarian at Wahoo Public Schools in 1955?
reply to maribergman@windstream.net
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Aug 14, 2006
Latest post:  Aug 3, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Flags of Our Fathers
Flags of Our Fathers by Ron Powers (Hardcover - May 2, 2000)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (792)