5.0 out of 5 stars What a pleasant surprise!
Published 8 months ago by B. C. Dunlap

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent product but with significant flaws.
Pros: Records well, low price, compact size, battery life is amazing. So far storage is good, I have 8 40-50 minute lectures.

Published 3 months ago by Ryan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a pleasant surprise!, May 12, 2014
B. C. Dunlap (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anybest PRO 8GB LCD 40hr Battery Life PCM Digital stereo recorder USB Voice Recorder Pen with Sensitive Voice activated function (Electronics)
In a world where we order electronic devices and we don't quite get what we wanted (see my reviews about nice Samsung LCD computer screens which shipped with only VGA[?!?!] cables...cost me +$100 across four monitors to get them hooked up correctly), I have to say this device, the "Anybest PRO 8GB LCD 40hr Battery Life PCM Digital stereo recorder USB Voice Recorder Pen with Sensitive Voice activated function", was a pleasant surprise.

1) The price is very right. When shopping for this category of item with particular personal needs in mind, I could have very easily dropped 2x-8x the money I just did on this puppy. I almost did just that due to uncertainty about the manufacturer, but decided to spin the wheel on this device, instead.

2) Accessories for miles. Everything I could imagine needing is included. In fact, there's stuff included that I cannot imagine ever needing (i.e. interfaces with RJ-11 telephone cabling). None of it is very high quality stuff - i.e. the earbuds are not something I would volunteer to use on a daily basis. Then again, the low-end Sony earbuds I like to use cost about the same as this entire device package. They function. You get an external mic (3.5mm). You get some earbuds (3.5mm). You get a double male-ended 3.5mm cable. You get a [mini, not "micro") USB to full sized USB cord. You also, as I mentioned, get some RJ-11 telephone interface accessories.

3) Setup is easy. The menus are only confusing because you are overthinking them. You enter Menu (settings) Mode (by holding down the 4-directional main button for about two "Mississippis"). You cycle through your options - LEFT/RIGHT on the 4-directional to choose different settings within a given option, SINGLE CLICK on the 4-directional to move to the next set of options. Rinse and repeat. When you're done, you hit the Play/Pause (middle button, below) to SAVE your settings. The only part that was mildly confusing was when I wanted to set the input to be LINE-IN, as opposed to MICROPHONE. That choice was not set aside - it was among the "Quality" options (HQ/SP/LP and "Line In"). The erase/file options are pretty worthless to me because I'll manage the files from my computer...the device shows up like a "thumb drive" when you connect it to your computer via USB. Voice Activated Recording ("VOR") is settable to off/on. Your playback settings (repeat, random, etc...) are settable for .MP3/recording playback if that's your thing. The LED (light while recording) is settable (on/off). There is something called "SENSE" after the LED setting that is configurable to either "HI" or "LO". I don't know what that is. I chose "HI".

The vast variety of accessories renders this device eminently usable right out of the box. I played some .MP3s that I copied to it. I did trials of recording with and without the external mic...all good. I tried all sorts of stuff except the RJ-11 telephone gear. My coup de grace was freaking my wife out, across the house, by calling her cell phone and, then, playing back the recording of it. My Samsung Galaxy S4's 3.5mm external headphone/speaker jack --> the device's 3.5mm external microphone jack (via the double ended male cable provided), with the device set to "LINE IN" mode? Outstanding! Be warned, however: that little setup can get you into legal trouble, so don't be a moron. I can picture using it, though, to extract voicemails and save them off to my computer. That would be handy occasionally.

Dings on the device, none of which really matter to me:

1) The sticker with the button labels on the front was peeling right out of the box. That took a drop of glue to fix.
2) The instruction book isn't going to win a Pulitzer Prize, but it gets the job done. Their English is way better than my Chinese.
3) Somebody else mentioned a .PDF instruction booklet that could be found on the drive. I didn't find that.
4) Tiny device (featuring all of the heft of a Bic cigarette lighter), so some of the LED labels that pop up are, yes, VERY TINY. I'm having that sort of problem more globally, though...methinks it may be time to score a set of reading glasses.
5) The timestamps on the files written are defaulting to 12/31/1999. (Oh, what a night!) Assuming you want to keep them, when you move/copy your audio files to your PC via USB, do yourself a favor and include a date (and time, if you like) stamp in the FILENAME. I say this as a guy who does computer data for a living - do not rely on file timestamps to keep your stuff organized. There are all sorts of ways those timestamps can get reset/changed. So, yeah, rename your stuff to something like "20140512_Econ101Lecture.MP3" or whatever as you copy/move them. You'll thank yourself later. Alternately (or, in addition), if file system date/timestamps are that important to you, you can use whatever the equivalent of the UNIX "Touch" command is for your operating system...there are tons of [free] open-source options that will update file date/timestamps to whatever you like. Keep your files organized, people! As for the root cause of this error? I dunno. It appears the BIOS ships reset with no discernible way to configure it. Meh. Maybe you can experiment with mashing/holding-in various buttons and see if you can gain access to the BIOS/setup mode. Let me know if you succeed. (**)
6) I am suspect of the physical slider-style buttons for Off/On and Record. They work fine, but, I my experience, switches like that can go bad. I'll withhold judgment on those, for now, but if you use the device a lot, those sliders may become loose and/or inoperable over time. I'll let you know if mine do and adjust the review, accordingly, if need be.

BONUS(?):

I suppose in an effort to test the device before shipping, the manufacturer writes (and, presumably, reads) some files to it. So, when I got it, I found a recently dated and rather tranquil instrumental version of Simon & Garfunkel's "Scarborough Fair" in the root directory. Now, all I gotta do is build an elevator in my house so I can listen to it in a proper environment.

P.S.

(**) I played around with the buttons some. Holding down Play/Pause will "soft" shutdown the device...or, maybe, put it into a type of "hibernation" mode. It will turn it off without having to manipulate that physical on/off slider switch I mentioned. Assuming you didn't mess with the on/off slider switch, that same button (again, held down for a couple of seconds) will wake it from "hibernation". So, if you're worried about wearing out that physical on/off switch, use the method I just described, instead. You'll have to experiment if you want to determine the difference in battery charge life between the two. I mashed all the rest of the buttons alone and in different combinations (during power-up and otherwise) to see if I could get into the BIOS setup, but no dice so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Functions, Great Price, July 3, 2014
i Like the functions of this product and the price is right, the plastic has a rubber coating on it, the microphone is very sensitive (that is what i wanted), when the voice activated recording is turned on, it only records as long as there is sound and is on stand by until there is sound to record again, I gave it five stars because its overall a great product for what i need to use it for,

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little device with huge 8GB Storage, April 3, 2014
Nobody would find it,Secret recording with Sensitive Voice activated function.Really like this function. Easy to use,exactly what I wanted! Perfect for taking notes, recording anything at all! Very good microphone and sound replay!
What's more,I need a huge Storage digital recorder,this one fits me well .

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, January 31, 2014
I've used this to record a DJ set through its Line-in port going from the RECORD OUT on my DJ Mixer using an RCA to 1/8" adapter. It took a few tries to get the settings right as you MUST put the settings as LINE, any other setting will make the recordings distorted as it believes anything plugged into that port is a microphone.

The instructions are a little confusing, but I got it after a little bit of playing with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, Great Price, December 5, 2014
This is a really good quality digital recorder. I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars because it says that it's a stereo recorder. It plays out both headphone speakers, but as far as I can tell it is mono not stereo recording (one channel, not two). I was expecting it to record two separate channels. I assumed "stereo" meant that. But that aside it comes well equipped with built-in microphones, a headphone jack, a line-in jack, USB charging cable, extension cable, telephone jack (to record phone calls), ear buds, and a clip-on tie microphone. It's about the length of an iPad stylus and can easily fit in any pocket. It's definitely worth the price. Delivery was prompt, and it arrived well-packaged. An instruction booklet was also included. It may be that I just don't know how to turn on the stereo mode, but as far as I can tell it is a one channel recording device, not two. So, if you are aiming to purchase a true stereo recorder, this may not be the one for you. Other than that I am very pleased with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars For those of you who hasn't figured it out..., February 4, 2014
The owners manual is saved on the device as a pdf so you don't have to squint.
Much easier to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, November 13, 2013
Cindy Plissner (Staten Island, New York USA) - See all my reviews
Its easy to use. It has a long battery life and can hold alot. Also the sound quality is very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars This seller care about our needs, April 1, 2014
I had bought one before,The instruction is really a disaster.
The seller have updated the instruction and now it is simple and understood .The product is as good as before ,really love it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the appearance,fit my pocket perfectly, April 2, 2014
Nice shape with small compact size, Fits well in purse or pocket. Easy to use. Good voice quality. Great price. highly recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent product but with significant flaws., October 22, 2014

Cons: Forwarding or rewinding is a pain! I use this to listen to my lectures and so I have to constantly rewind or forward. However, MANY times, when I rewind it will skip to another recording. Then I have to forward all the way to the point I was originally at in the correct recording. This severely limits my efficiency. If you use this for extended recordings (50mins) like I do, then I would not buy this product.
Secondly, when I rewind and play it sometimes gets distorted. If you use earphones (which you need to because the speaker volume is very low) the distortion really hurts your ears.
If Anybest upgrades this product I would suggest putting a forward and rewind button separate from the button that selects recordings.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›