Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Anybody else having problems being ganged up by the fascists game boys?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2013 10:18:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 10:33:16 PM PDT
Waverley says:
I can't believe that amazon had my comment/reply deleted. I suspect there is a group, that will dislike your opinion if isn't in line with their train of thought or not praising their likes. They will mob or gripe about your comments until thye're deleted by the amazon admins here. If you aren't allowed to critique a product how is it suppose to become a better product for all. Every game has flaws and sc2 is no exception, but as soon as me or someone makes a comment as to how it can be made better for the public, they act as if their "sacred cow" has been attacked.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 4:52:02 AM PDT
Axle F. says:
That is why they are called fanboys. ^_^ Same thing with the fanboys that think Halo, or Call of Duty, or My Little Pony are the best things of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 4:57:56 AM PDT
Maybe it's something you said that Amazon doesn't like? I'm never 100% Clear on their posting rules to be honest.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:09:07 AM PDT
Shanghaied says:
I've never heard of Amazon deleting a post because "the fanboys didn't like it." Care describing what the post is about, or even throwing the dice and reposting it?

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:29:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 1:13:09 PM PDT
Waverley says:
I can't remember what exactly I wrote, it was in one of those one star reviews, maybe I need a memory upgrade or something ;), but I do recall it started out by correcting his grammar. Which could be a sore point for many. I wrote that he should stop pointing fingers, because he was needlessly accusing someone of being a troll for stating his opinion and I closed the reply with, sc2 is not a pure strategy game like a chess. Anyways I am over it now, was a bit unhappy that it was deleted for no good reason. Just perplexed at how things are done here, it's as if the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 10:49:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 10:49:36 AM PDT
H.Le says:
G. J. Nunez,

If you write something offensive, it will get deleted. What is considered offensive depends the number of complaints your post received and the Amazon moderator who is currently on duty and/or handled the complaints. Profanity is always a sure-bet, next up is name-calling.

I've made thousands of posts in the past 8 or 9 years, and the only time Amazon ever do anything to my (non-offensive) post is when I semi-revealed the personal identity and profession of another poster (last time I look, my post did not get deleted, but my name has been changed to "A Customer" - probably to protect personal information for everyone, which I understand - and also to protect me from possible retaliation).

Therefore, stay clean and civil and you will have nothing to worry about -- And please bear in mind that besides other haters and fanboys, nobody likes haters and fanboys.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 10:59:25 AM PDT
Waverley says:
Thanks I will try to keep that in mind, also will try to remind myself that most of the haters and fanboys are rather sensitive. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 11:56:44 AM PDT
"it as if the lunatics have taken over the asylum. "

Don't go reading the D3 reviews then :p

Or metacritic reviews for heart of the swarm as I mentioned in another thread here.

Those are the reaaaal lunatics.

"And please bear in mind that besides other haters and fanboys, nobody likes haters and fanboys"

Guess it depends on who is defining Fanboy, haters, i believe, define it as anyone who likes the game. So i guess that makes me a fanboy of Starcraft 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 1:03:16 PM PDT
H.Le says:
No, you are not a fanboy, and I have read both of your recent reviews.

To me, it's easy to differentiate -- The big difference between supporters and their counterparts (and even the detractors) versus the fanboys/haters is that the latter's reviews and comments are extremely short and always fall somewhere along the line of 'yo, game suck (body parts), (publisher/dev's name) burn in hell, burn game too, 'nough said.' vs. 'yo, game rock to high heaven, (publisher/dev's name) rule, just buy game, 'nough said.'

In other words, beside the obvious tone of voice, your noteworthy opponents will counter your facts & opinions with their own facts & opinions. On the other hand, haters and fanboys have nothing to offer; their sole motivation and purpose is to get a rise of you and other people who may be reading the post. In this case, the worst thing you can do is to response in earnest (you just got trolled). The best thing you can do is said something along the line of 'please add some substance, otherwise, next...'

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 1:07:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 1:18:29 PM PDT
Waverley says:
I am not sure you would want to be called a fanboy, I define a fanboy as someone who will accept anything that is given to them no matter how flawed. I do like sc2, well enough, but question some of the practices by their publisher and the direction the game is going. I think about how they can make it better for everyone. I also feel some of the gamers do have legitimate gripes about the game. I think you are more of a gamer, who likes games and enjoy conversing about it on the human level.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 1:15:23 PM PDT
Nice to hear someone is reading my reviews :3.

And I know what you mean mate.

@G.J.

I know what ya mean as well, and I have honestly yet to play a game that I had no even minor gripes with (though Monster Hunter IS close). In the end... I tend to have unpopular opinions and I get in trouble for em :p. Like my review for SimCity, where I actually said I liked the game, despite server issues in the beginning.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 1:24:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 1:25:30 PM PDT
Waverley says:
I know what you mean, I have read numerous reviews that do not say anything about the game. Difficulties downloading, installing from the amazon cloud library or other rubbish, mainly one star reviews and lately some are even given five stars.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 8:04:56 PM PDT
Nunez, did your review state that you weren't getting the game? Because if you state in a review that you haven't played the game or read the book or used whatever the product is, then the review will be removed by Amazon. I understand it states in the terms of service that you have to have used a product in order to write a review considered valid. If you want to declare you aren't getting the game and explain why, then discussion areas like this are the place to do it.

Your title caught my eye because it mentioned fascism. When I think of fascism and Starcraft, I think of all the people that consider Arcturus Mengsk the hero, because he is a psychopathic dictator -- the kind of leader they want. I also think of all the people on YouTube and Battle.net calling Raynor "gay" because he doesn't hate women. "Gay" is a term now used by American neo-fascists the same way their 1930s German predecessors used "Jew". In my opinion, there is far too much very real fascism in Starcraft 'fan'dom to use it to casually refer to people that don't like your opinion.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 8:57:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 9:12:51 PM PDT
Waverley says:
Mr. Spottiswood, it wasn't a review that was deleted, it was a comment(as was originally stated if you read it correctly this time round) that was reported by a few of the trolls that frequent here. I can't confirm it, but I have a strong intuition who it was(will not mention any names). Also I have purchased the game(euro and NA licenses) and expansion if you are curious. I call them fascists(not in the literal sense), but because they bully people like the brown shirts, if your comment do not conform to their ideas and opinions then they will gang up on you. I was just wondering if anyone else was being bullied in this manner and if there was a unjust pattern developing that's all. Also I wasn't aware that people are finding Artrus Mensk as a political inspiration, this is the first time I have ever heard of this odd phenomena. Not to make light of this, it does sound a bit comical and backwards. Well anyway I can assure you that I am not homophobic nor a Nazi ultra right winger, but if you are I won't hold that against you even though it is wrong I chose not to, because this is amazon starcraft forum.

Kind regards.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 11:29:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 11:35:04 PM PDT
H.Le says:
"Because if you state in a review that you haven't played the game or read the book or used whatever the product is, then the review will be removed by Amazon. I understand it states in the terms of service that you have to have used a product in order to write a review considered valid."

(What you say about the word 'gay' is very interesting and is something I did not know. I'll need to look more into that. However, I can neither comment on the personal argument nor the politics involved since I did not see the post in question.)

This is just for information regarding the quote above. Unlike many other retailers, Amazon does not restrict its Customers to having to buy the product first in order to write a review. Amazon is unique in that it lets all Customers speak freely about any featured product - unless one crosses the line. Those who actually bought the product can opt to have the "Amazon Verified Purchased" badge attached to their reviews to add more weight.

As far as the Amazon review guideline, besides the obvious ban of profanity, the minimum word count, and the fact that Amazon won't allow you to post external links in the body of the review (you can do it in the comment section), all it really boils down to is "what do you want other Customers to know about this product."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 2:04:34 AM PDT
This was a very interesting statement to read... not actually sure what to make of it as it's the first I'm hearing about it at all.

And I'm not even sure how they can call Raynor Gay in any way shape and form. He defied the entire Terran Dominion and went up against the Zerg swarm to try and rescue the Woman he loved, who happened to be trying to kill him at the same time. Also to call someone Gay because... they don't hate women... doesn't even make sense. I am Gay, and i don't hate women I just have a preference for males as my mate.

When did games stop being games?

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 10:06:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2013 11:24:27 AM PDT
C. Nichols says:
I believe your review can be deleted if you comment on another review, I think I remember reading once that was against the rules. Doesn't matter if what is said is otherwise within the rules.

However hard they try, not many people will ever be as evil as the Nazi's were. But I am sure that is a good thing...

I believe the definition of "fanboy" is a bit skewed in this thread. A fanboy is someone who blindly follows a product to feel they belong with nothing truly solid to backup their claim of devotion, and they are deeply emotionally connected to that product as well. I was introduced to this term on the original website in the 90's called Toms Hardware about computer hardware and benchmarks. When it comes to products like Diablo 3 and perhaps to a lesser extent Starcraft it takes an interesting turn. These fanboys feel as if they must turn their love of a product into hating it instead, this because the game itself goes against their blind devotion what they feel is an overall lack of quality or perhaps that it does not follow the predecessors in spirit. This makes them very bitter and angry. They then want to insult the developers (devs) and any fans who enjoy playing the game because they quote, "This game in no way resembles Diablo II or Starcraft original" and make you feel inferior or stupid because you enjoy the product. These people can't be dealt with because they respond to everything emotionally and fail to use the logic centers of the brain (I wonder if it is because they lack a logic center). Sometimes even if a fanboy makes sense in their argument, though they seldom do, their reactions to what others say against them is still emotional as if they have been provoked.

EDIT: made a mistake on what games were mentioned

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2013 11:01:12 AM PDT
H.Le says:
I am proud to state that I am deeply and emotionally connected to video game in general.

The most amusing thing is that, when it comes to long time gaming franchises, what you sometimes see is old fanboy vs. new fanboy -- And they both accuse each other of being fanboys. So, bring on the fanboys vs. fanboys war. Whether you stand with me or against me, I'll see you on the front line ;-)

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 11:28:20 AM PDT
C. Nichols says:
I love games too. All it takes to not be a fanboy is to take a step back and see it for what it really is. All it takes is to see different perspective and agree your way is not the only way and that fun in gaming can be had in many different ways. Also that Blizzard in the end just wants your money and there is nothing wrong with that. That infact, the only reason ANY games are made as a major market contender is to make money. But the designers themselves still love gaming and do their best.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2013 2:24:02 PM PDT
H.Le says:
"All it takes is to see different perspective and agree your way is not the only way and that fun in gaming can be had in many different ways."

That goes both ways right ? If yes, then the ones who are loyal to the brands are also right in their own ways. The bottom line is this: More options are always better than less options. Adding new options while removing old options is not the same thing - and will always justifiably draw some complaints.

What you are trying to preach may be admirable, but no matter how we tried to define it to fit our own views, 'fanboyism' has always existed in all type of industries (e.g. "I'll rather push a [Chevy or Ford] than drive a [Ford or Chevy]") and will be here long after Activision Blizzard - or any other company - or us for that matter - cease to exist.

My own definition of a 'fanboy' is more akin to trolling -- And that is the type of 'fanboy' that I am against. On the other hand, if someone takes the time to write a well thought out and *substantial* post or essay - or even a propaganda - either to worship or to trash a product and/or a company without resorting to insult and name-calling, then I do not consider that as a 'fanboy/hater' post -- And I am also willing to read it and give it some consideration.

Don't worry, although there will be some who do not like the new direction of SC and will voice their opinions accordingly, most have either accepted it or simply walk away (as for me, I'm waiting for the price to drop). Perhaps we have EA's latest DRM debacle and deception to thank for this; but either way, I can virtually guarantee that HotS will not see the same amount of protest as WoL, or anywhere near the same amount of D3. Otherwise, you'd have seen it already.

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 6:11:32 PM PDT
C. Nichols says:
Being a fan and being a fanboy is two different things. I am a fan myself. :)

The idea is that no type of fanboy is the right kind of fanboy. However I've never accused someone of being one myself, it never went that far. But I have seen them. I used to be an AMD fanboy but finally saw the light. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Mar 12, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Expansion Pack
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Expansion Pack by Blizzard Entertainment (Mac, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
4.4 out of 5 stars (603)