Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Anybody injure themselves with this workout?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2009 11:44:38 PM PDT
taylordd says:
I've been doing this for a month now 4 days a week.
I've had really bad stomach pain, i wonder if its because im working my body too much? I'm in shape. The move she does with plank and you twist your abs is hard to do.Also my knees hurt a little from jumping.
Great workout though

Posted on Apr 7, 2009 8:28:07 PM PDT
I have been doing the 30 day Shred for 8 weeks now, I went down a size I love it but my knee hurts. I'm afraid it will get bad and I won't be able to work out anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2009 9:24:29 PM PDT
taylordd says:
I did the 30 day shred as well , after some time my right knee got swollen badly, I had to take 1 week off from working out. Its better now but I take it easy with the jumping.

I feel the jumping puts alot of strain on the knees, with this workout as well, i do feel something weird in my knees at times. if your knees hurt take a break until they get better.

Posted on Apr 10, 2009 11:28:25 AM PDT
I think you can get a great workout with no jumping. I had healthy knees but after a week of 30 Day Shred, I was having twinges of pain at night in my right knee. Now I'm modifying all the cardio, eliminating all jumping. Instead of jumping jacks and jump rope, I'm doing: standing cross shoulder-to-knee crunches, cross punches while walking in place. My heart rate still climbs and I'm getting a great workout. Hoping the knee pain subsides. I just started the modifications yesterday.

Posted on Apr 11, 2009 3:46:01 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 13, 2009 7:24:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2009 7:29:19 PM PDT
Liz says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 16, 2009 9:18:03 PM PDT
Liz, there's no need on this board for ad hominem insults. Does this help anyone or just make you feel smug? I'm overweight, having just had a baby, by about 15 pounds. My knee pain is the direct result of the many jumping moves in this DVD and you will find that it is a common comment in the reviews. This is not whining. It is helpful to others doing the 30 Day Shred who, like me, wish to find a way to continue. Also, it is helpful to others who want to know if anyone else has had similar experiences.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2009 9:58:05 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 3, 2011 10:47:51 AM PST]

Posted on Apr 18, 2009 1:46:40 PM PDT
I just don't get the misplaced animosity. Weird.
On a healthier note (psychologically and physically), for those of you who are using this forum for positive and logical purposes, doing the cardio portions on a rebounder is a great idea posted by another user. I just tried it at it's a really good solution. You won't be doing the exact same moves as Jillian, but you will still be keeping that heart rate up and that's the most important thing. Also, be sure when you are squatting to keep your weight in your heel. That will take a lot of the pressure off the front of the knee. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2009 4:51:43 PM PDT
Kathy says:
Hi Liz,
Please do not put everybody who has bad knees on weight issues. I am 54 years old and not overweight, never have been, and yet I still have knee problems. Perhaps it is from all of the aerobic activity I have done in the past. For a lot of older people the knees will hurt - that is why there are so many knee replacement surgeries. Please be kind to those of us of us who do experience pain. One never knows what can happen to them - a sore shouder, a fractured hip (Biggest Loser Contestant Laura), sore knees, etc. Kindness goes a long way as my Mother will say.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2009 4:55:04 PM PDT
Kathy says:
Thanks for the suggestion - I have bad knees as well.

Posted on Apr 20, 2009 4:57:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2009 5:01:44 PM PDT
taylordd says:
I'm the one who started this topic and I'm 30 years old, 5'5, 122 pounds now and in shape. I never had children either. My biggest problem is the mountain climber exercise, it seemed to affect my stomach, where I had some type of pain, also the scissor jumps do put a strain on my knees, along with with the other jumps, so its just not older or overweight people affected. If you check my other reviews u can see I have no bias, i think Liz you are wrong to make such an insulting post.
Anyway I've been doing this plus no more trouble zones for almost 2 months now.. I feel its very effective.. back in september i weighed 160 lbs, cause i was inactive.. I have to say this is the first time i have ever exercised in a routine for so long with jillian, i started with the shred. I think its because i saw results quickly and i like how my muscles feel- i never had them before... the gym is just not for me, i can never make it there but i can force myself to workout at home.

Posted on Apr 20, 2009 8:36:42 PM PDT
I'm on my 3rd week of Shred and I can't believe how much better it is than my hour long gym routine that I thought was so good. I'm really seeing and feeling a difference already and it's exciting. Happycat, how do you feel about modifying the routine? I used to be one of those people who wanted to do everything to the letter, but now I've loosened up. Are you modding the moves that cause you pain? Does that make you feel like you're missing out on maximizing the routine?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2009 1:37:42 PM PDT
taylordd says:
Elizabeth, yes i have modified the mountain climber, for some reason it affects my stomach, so i just do the modified version from the shred. The scissor jumps, i have stopped doing and just do squats, some of the other jumps i cant do a whole segment and do squats as well but i do feel im missing out but i dont want to injure myself, but then again when i try to do everything i get discouraged and stop working out altogether so i think modifying is good...

But yeah jillian is great, i never thought it was possible to get such a great workout from home dvds.

Posted on Apr 22, 2009 1:33:32 PM PDT
Having a baby is what behooved me to explore workout DVD's and I'm very surprised at how great this is. My biggest issue, besides some knee pain, is jumping after having a baby. If you ever have a baby, don't forgo kegel exercises. I have some incontinence issues now (9 lb baby!!) and it makes the jumping uncomfortable if you know what I mean! So sometimes I have to run in place on the rebounder. I hope it gets better :( I cannot do the mountain climbers either.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2009 3:02:15 PM PDT
taylordd says:
I can imagine how could it be after having a 9 pound baby, has to be hard..Those scissor jumps are hard on my knees, also my lower back..maybe my form is not good. But the mountain climbers i just do like the mod version on the shred. I also have a problem with the twisting plank- hard my back as well.

Well anyway im going to keep doing this and no more trouble zones,,im pretty happy that i managed to get toned before the summer.

im also making sure to eat well, i didnt eat too much and did this workout and felt dizzy during jumping jacks.

Posted on Apr 25, 2009 8:30:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2009 8:41:03 AM PDT
Since you're an avid home-exerciser, I do highly recommend getting a rebounder. (Also, this A.M. I tried working out before breakfast and I'll never try that again! Have to have some calories in me before following Ms. Jillian!) I don't find the twisting plank to be such a great ab exercise unless you do it very slowly. I asked a trainer at my gym to watch my form doing the plank twists since I wasn't "feeling it" and he instructed me to slow way down. So now I end up doing 3/4 the reps Jillian does, but can feel it working my abs now. Try slowing it down and see if that eases up your back some. Let me know, cuz I'm curious.

Posted on Apr 27, 2009 10:22:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2009 10:25:31 PM PDT
Red Panda says:
Just chiming in about knee pain. People often attribute it to high-impact workouts but it is more often a symptom of other factors such as tight lateral muscles in the thighs (in her "Fitness Fix" DVDs, Denise Beatty shows how you can loosen up those muscles with a foam roller), weak glutes and hamstrings and a lack of hip and ankle mobility. I had some knee pain a few weeks ago, but wasn't about to give up my favourite workouts so have been diligently working on those areas. Viola - no more knee pain!

Just adding that the most common reason for knee replacement surgery is advanced osteoarthritis - not Jillian Michaels DVDs!

Posted on Apr 28, 2009 3:27:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2009 3:28:19 PM PDT
Thanks for that information. I love what the foam roller does for me, but it's hard for me to remember to do it until I go to the chiro. So thanks for reminding me! My knee pain has pretty much disappeared. I think it's due to A) building strength by sticking with it and B) using rebounder for about half the cardio segments. I'd also like to add that footwear has a great impact on how your joints handle the pounding. IT Band and TFL (lateral thigh stabilizer and hip extensor) are notoriously tight areas on just about everyone and nothing works it loose like the foam roller, unless you can afford a daily massage!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2009 12:12:48 AM PDT
taylordd says:
thanks for the tip, I tried doing the twisting planks slower, doesnt do much for me. I think I'm going to just do another ab exercise instead of it. How many days off do you take from working out?, for me i have been keeping up working out 5 or 6 days a week since january, usually i will take sunday off and sometimes saturday.

Posted on Apr 29, 2009 9:16:52 AM PDT
Yeah, the planks are not as intense for me as double crunches or Jillian's favorites - bicycle crunches. Substituting makes perfect sense. I've been working out every day, no days off. I plan on doing this until May 7th just as an experiment of sorts. That will mark 30 days of consecutive circuit training. I do a minimum of 25 min. circuit w/ JM and some days I add other activities: I'll surf or hike or hit the cardio machines for 30-45 min. I also have been doing Cathe Freidriksen (sp) core max intermediate work out w/ stability ball. Abs only. I can do the whole 30 min. without stopping now. I do that 2 or 3 times a week and also (if my baby's still napping) I'll do her stretch max sequence w/ stability ball. The stretching in the JM dvd's are OK, but with the amount of physical activity I"m doing, I know I should stretch way more than 5 min. I hate stretching, so doing it w/ a dvd is essential. I love the Cathe F. approach and recommend her dvd's. Have you tried her?

Posted on Apr 29, 2009 10:19:56 PM PDT
taylordd says:
That is great that you've been keeping it up everyday, since the weather is getting warm, im going to start running again, i live in nyc and theres a bootcamp class that is 40 mins and you do workouts in the park, like climbing, etc. I think I'm going to try it. I agree about the JM stretching, it should be longer, I usually do some extra stretching when shes done. Which Cathe F dvd have you used? No i havent tried her yer. thanks.

Posted on Apr 30, 2009 8:59:12 AM PDT
I actually DVR'd the Cathe workouts from Fit TV but I plan on getting some of her DVD's. She's got a ton. I use CoreMax abs (intermediate level) and CoreMax Stretch, both use stability ball. I really love her style -sweet yet professional and strict but not at all "boot-campy", if you know what I mean. She does the entire workout with you, along with cueing and encouraging which is pretty impressive. She cues better than Jillian does, so if that's important to you, you will love her style. (sometimes I feel like JM pauses too much and doesn't use rhythm to the best advantage) Her moves are unique and fun. In the ab and stretch workouts she gets creative with the stability ball and her transitions are well choreographed and graceful, almost like floor gymnastics.

Posted on May 5, 2009 1:33:07 PM PDT
Airlock says:
I wondered what kind of substitutions I could make in place of the jumping moves. The standing mountain climbers and the 180 jumps, along with the running knee lifts and butt kicks are a killer on my sensitive legs. I get shin-splints soooooooooooooo easily so I immediately had to NOT do those moves cause I could instantly feel my shins aching. I am trying to figure out some sort of substitutions that will keep my heart rate up the same. For now I just do twisting side punches (taken from Tae Bo) or jump rope in place which is gentle enough on my legs. Any other suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2009 11:11:59 AM PDT
T says:
I got knee pain & pain in my right heel/achilles tendon after doing 30 Day Shred, but I get NO pain from doing this workout. I make sure to do this upstairs on the carpet instead of downstairs on the wood laminate. I've also tried this workout with & without shoes, and I'll definitely wear shoes for now on!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  27
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Apr 2, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about