Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 29, 2013 8:05:52 AM PST
Britt K says:
Not sure why, but the product description for this novel has me worried for the fate of our dark-skinned protagonist. I know it's typical fodder to use phrases like "our hero's fate hangs in the balance", but the idea that Drizzt is reflecting his memories of the Companions of the Hall while his life is on the line just gives me the butterflies. Salvatore has been on a literal killing spree, though it surprised me very much that Entreri didn't bite it after Claw was destroyed. Idk, maybe I'm paranoid, but the fact that WotC is ushering in a new system and calling this event "The Sundering" just has me expecting the worst. Hopefully I'm wrong...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2013 4:11:34 PM PST
I'm a bit nervous, I admit. However, I'm choosing to gather strength from the fact that Guen is on the cover art, and hope that this isn't simply filling. There's a silver lining here, and I'm grasping it with all my might!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 1:53:54 PM PST
I think this book takes place directly before the Neverwinter series. Maybe I'm wrong.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 11:21:06 AM PDT
Britt K says:
Ok, my mind has been well and truly f***ed. Like I said to my brother and sister-in-law, "what the hell, Bob?!?!" Any thoughts? I know the product has Drizzt and Guen on the cover, so how/why/wtf, etc. I'm at a loss...

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 4:25:35 PM PDT
This has to be before Neverwinter, right? I mean... with how the last one ended... I was in tears. I had to be consoled!

I'm really freaking nervous now.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 6:15:47 PM PDT
Just finished Threshold and am dumfounded and shocked and miserable over the ending. I have read every Drizzt book and truly hope this is not the end. I am at a loss for words as to how to feel about this and truly hope that Drizzt is not dead and I will have books featuring him to look forward to for years to come.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 7:59:04 AM PDT
Britt K says:
Well I take a surprising amount of comfort in the fact that Drizzt and Guen are on the cover of this book. I just really have a hard time believing Drizzt is gone. I discussed this with my brother and my sister-in-law, the ending of the last book felt more like how Bob normally ends chapters, not how he ends books. He usually brings things to an end with more clarity, not with mystical juju, ascension into heaven stuff. I don't know, I might be grasping at straws, but I don't think he's really dead. Anyone who has played 4th ed D&D knows Epic Level Characters Don't Just Die!!!!

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 1:48:38 AM PDT
Robert says:
If I remember correctly, Salvatore mentioned that a few years ago when many of the authers got slammed with 4th Ed. and were told, "hey, this is what is happening.. deal with it" they started thinking long term planning for their characters to see some of them 100+ years into the future anyways. In a recent interview he's stated that this "Sundering" is a direct lead-up to 5th Ed. D&D and that this time they actually came to all of the authors and asked for their input on what should be happening instead of screwing them over with the massive time gap that forced a number of characters to be forced into some sort of death(or suspended animation/knocked out of time, etc). From what I get, these three books(written by 3 diff authors, about each of their own chars) will cover how 5th edition starts and what happens to Drizzt AND the Companions(alive or dead..??) due to the events that are happening. The only remark I saw to hint at something major was the fact that the "Chosen" were referenced extensively and seem to play a pivotal role in this new trilogy, and Drizzt has definitely seemed to be in the spotlight of not just one but two different goddesses, although he's never directly been called a Chosen of either.

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 6:45:16 PM PDT
There is no way that Drizzt is dead... he's too pivotal in the role of a Chosen. I just finished the "Last Threshold" and having read all of the Drizzt series was a little under-impressed at the ending. So many aspects of the last 80 pages that I just didn't love but I don't want to spoil for other readers!!

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 10:10:16 AM PDT
Wyz-Man says:
I just recall that Jaraxle told Drizzt to hang on to his new found ring and said that it was powerful indeed. That kind of foreshadowing gives me hope that it is not the end of Drizzt.

Posted on Mar 27, 2013 7:44:15 PM PDT
Salvatore called the ending to this book his "Job security." How many times before did the ending leave us restless at night? Plenty, even Bruenor's apparent death in Streams of Silver or Wulfgar's later in the series. Just like all of us knew that Jarlaxle was alive, we can be sure that him, Entreri, Guen, and of course - Drizzt - will be the three characters that will always be there. There was a lot of significance in the name of the year, and the day on which the book ended, and it will all lead up to the next series ;) Oh, also, do you remember why the Netherese were so interested in Drizzt? Well... you can say.. they had their reasons ;)

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 11:11:28 AM PDT
First, let me say that the ending to the Neverwinter series was heart-wrenching. That being said, after the reading the War of the Spider Queen and talk of a "chosen" in both series, I am of the mindset that our hero is to return and the Gods will do battle...on the physical plane, the abyss, and demonweb pits. I am holding out hope that our hero will only get bigger. I mean come on...he let us have one last conversation with everyone's favorite bodyguard...good ol Pwent.

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 11:18:52 AM PDT
Britt K says:
On the subject of Pwent, anyone interested in getting more details about his fate would do well to either buy or check out the Neverwinter graphic novel:

Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt - Neverwinter Tales (Dungeons & Dragons (Idw Hardcover))

Gives some insight into the events at the beginning of The Last Threshold...

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2013 11:11:58 PM PDT
Maybe he had to die in order to continue that story.. battle between the gods in the afterlife...

Posted on May 6, 2013 7:35:17 AM PDT
Britt K says:
In case anyone wants to know the author's perspective on all of this:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/the-greater-the-risk-the-greater-the-reward-an-interview-with-r-a-salvatore/

Personally, that intereview made me feel a whole lot better...

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 11:00:55 PM PDT
There are major spoilers in a goodreads review of The Companions from May 10. It could be fake but it really does seem to mesh with what was (un)said in the barnes and noble interview. If it is true, well, I am not sure how the book could be worth a darn.

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 11:48:34 AM PDT
pxs001 says:
"In this first book of the six-book Sundering series, New York Times best-selling author R.A. Salvatore launches a major world-shaping event that will revive old favorites, introduce new complications, and move his signature hero Drizzt into a restored era of the Forgotten Realms." (rasalvatore.com)

To me, it looks like he is going to be using this event to bring the Companions back. After all, the space mielikki saved for them is what saved Drizzt and the others in Threshold and when they woke he felt its magic fade. Perhaps this in turn released the Companions back in to the world. What if the last sentence of the book is literal, and she is back in the world to hold him?

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 5:20:39 AM PDT
I'll have to re-read the ending but I thought they didn't find Drizzt's body at the end. Doesn't seem like a big stretch that being a chosen he was moved to a different plane of existance, probably Meilliki's, and the intro to the book will be about him leaving his companions behind and returning to the realms for the re-introduction of Mystra and the other gods have fallen that need to be replaced.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2013 6:49:14 AM PDT
pxs001 says:
that's true, Artemis and them can't find his body, but if i'm not mistaken Drizzt awakens on Bruenor's Climb, on Kelvin's Cairn. if he was taken to a different plane it is unlikely that it would resemble Kelvin's Cairn

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2013 9:50:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2013 9:53:10 AM PDT
Um.. is it really that hard to figure out? Meilliki held the Companions in a pocket dimension. Drizzt, Entreri & the rest fell asleep for 18 years. The 18 years allowed the Companions to be reborn and they will now be around 18 years old. Youthful, energetic and able to adventure with Drizzt once again.

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 8:34:55 AM PDT
If anyone has read the Elminster series, then you will know Mystra suffered when the Spellplague hit. Well, she has reasserted herself and seems to be once again gathering magic. I can believe that the Drizzt's love Catti Brie is returning due to Drizzt's latest love interest going off with Artemis and Mystra's re-emergence. Catti-brie became a follower of Mystra shortly before the spellplague and was highly favored. Which means Breunor could also reappear as being the favorite of the dwarf patron Dumathoin. In the last Neverwinter novel, they spoke of the gods and patrons calling their favored to their sides to fight one last battle. Well, it would seem that is taking place. Lloth has her wicked three. Meilliki has Drizzt...Mystra has Elminster, Catti-brie, and others...Dumathoin will surely make Bruenor viable again...etc. The whole Sundering is spoken of alot in Ed Greenwood books or any books mentioning the dreadful Netherese or the city of Shade. I'm excited...the forgotten realms writers have gotten together and created a world and circumstances that can deliver great content for years to come.

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 10:22:51 PM PDT
All of the comments posted here are thoughtful and insightful. I won't mind if Drizzt and Guenhwyvar are reunited with long-dead friends in an alternate reality, but what of Entreri, Dahlia, Afafrenfare, Jarlaxle, Ambergris and especially Effron,a character Salvatore has masterfully developed?! It is my hope that if we do get Bruenor, Catti-Brie, Regis, Wulfgar or whomever else back into Drizzt's mainstory that it is not at the expense of these other characters I have grown to love. I would love to see Effron's dead arm magically fixed, which would possibly fix Dahlia's major psychological issues. And Tiago Baenre, another interesting char.!

Posted on Jul 22, 2013 10:06:52 PM PDT
AMF says:
Not to be 'that guy', but look up Night of the Hunter Companions Codex on amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2013 7:14:08 AM PDT
Britt K says:
I KNOW, I just ruined it for myself before I came here, GAH!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2013 1:31:14 PM PDT
AMF says:
seriously. you should have seen me in tears for like 3 days after finishing threshold. I made a slideshow video an everything, with the song by Lighthouse, 'Storm'. I imagined it as the 'credits' if it was a movie. And did you notice how page 143 stood out? I figured he was dead and would go on an 'afterlife' journey or something similar to when he and Guen were trapped "in hell" I think it was in the Pirate King or one of that trilogy. I knew Guen saved him from Dahlia's beating, but I thought he did die on Breunors Climb. It was so emotional the way she saved him and how he had to lean against her on his knees. I told my sister "these books are either over with a beautifully written ending, or are about to get much deeper".....(at the time sundering was advertised but I figured it could be a throwaway story...) I suppose Im happy they're all back, Im just dissapointed with Amazons spoilers (i guess its a tradeoff for the low prices)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Jan 29, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Companions: The Sundering, Book I
The Companions: The Sundering, Book I by R. A. Salvatore (Hardcover - August 6, 2013)
4.6 out of 5 stars (723)