Anyone used a white noise machine to drown out an annoying co-worker? I work in an office with an open seating plan (no cubes or offices, just a big room with long tables). The office is fairly small, and generally whisper-quiet.

The guy that sits across from me has a lot of annoying habits. He slurps and chomps his food. It's just the way he eats. I have to try really hard to slurp and smack my lips as loudly as he does. Recently he's been chewing gum, but his chewing "rhythm" is extremely erratic: chomp chomp CHOMP chomp... silence... CHOMP... silence... chomp CHOMP chomp. You get the idea.

He also pounds on his keys when he types. Whenever he's thinking, he constantly re-saves his work by holding down the Alt key and repeatedly slamming the F and S keys as fast as possible. This goes on for minutes at a time!

He's also one of these guys that often has a "nervous leg"... but more often than not, as he moves his leg, his clothes make a rustling sound, or his shoes squeak, or even his chair squeaks. How this doesn't bother him, I'll never know, but it certainly bothers me!

Finally, he also flips his pen in his fingers. Our office is so quiet I can hear the ink tube rattling inside the pen when he flips it. Not to mention, every few flips he drops the pen on his desk, so I hear the crash.

So... I'm wondering if this device will filter out slurping/chomping/lip-smacking, unusually loud keyboarding, rustling clothes, and a pen being dropped on a desk?
asked by Concrete Rooster on October 8, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 answers
A
There's freeware that creates white noise called "Noisy." I use it from time to time just to concentrate. I wish I could set it up in my bedroom, but all I have is a big computer in another room. It would work great in an office environment. You can set it to white noise or pink noise and adjust the volume to REAL LOUD or real soft.
DST answered on December 16, 2010
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The sleepmate would be fine on a desk. It is no bigger around than a dessert plate. The noise level can be adjusted. My pastor actually uses one just outside his
office so that when people need to talk to him confidentially, it is not overheard by others in the office area. My mom and I have both used one for yrs. When she
lived in an assisted living and later a nursing home, the sleepmate was the only way she could get any sleep.
Good luck with your loud boss and to the other person with the annoying office worker!
Shay4412 answered on April 18, 2011
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I worked in an office for many years where there were multiple people in a very small space who were always on the phone. Management purchased one machine per every two people and placed them on the floor. It was amazing how we went from the loudest department to the quietest and the employees reported stress was decreased significantly as co-worker noises were dramatically reduced. I have since purchased one for my sitting room to drown out house noises, one for elderly mom who snores, and one in my bedroom to drown out adult conversations from the little ones, and to help cover up dear hubby's snoring! We have one for travel too. Strongly recommend these for anyone looking to address office noises, home noises, travel noises etc.
D. S. GOLDER answered on June 29, 2011
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Sadly, I have almost the exact same problem in the cubicle setting where I work. Unfortunately, the Marpac Sleepmate did not drown out the slurping/chomping/lip-smacking, so I had to return it and just eat the shipping cost. The sound machine gave me a bad headache and did NOT drown out the unpleasant sounds. My pink noise CD works better, but can also hurt my ears/head after awhile. What finally has helped in the past couple weeks are nature CDs of babbling brooks, waterfalls and rain. The babbling brook one works the best -- blocks out a good amount of the yucky, annoying sounds and doesn't give me a headache, even when it's on all day.
LM answered on March 30, 2012
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Are you listening to that through earphones or can your office mates hear it?
M/M answered on May 20, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Both with and without earphones.
LM answered on May 20, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
So, I have a neighbor in cubeopolis who is a nice lady with a loud voice. I'm soft spoken, so our volumes are incompatable. Would a white noise machine help?
michelle davis answered on May 24, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My windows face a schoolyard where children have recess. They constantly screech at the top of their lungs. Will this machine help to mute the noise?
Niessie answered on March 23, 2012

A
Did this machine work for you?
Tom H Conway answered on September 9, 2012

A
It did not work for me. Could still hear my coworker smacking her gum.
LM answered on September 9, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›