Anyone else have a hard time paying $8 for a book their kids will read in 15 minutes?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 29, 2012 12:33:54 AM PDT
L. A. REED says:
I'll buy it because my child loves the series, but it feels like a really expensive book rental.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 6:38:16 PM PDT
A. Michaud says:
Actually, my son reads them multiple times. And, I think Amazon's price for a hard-cover book is not too bad. But for most other kids' book, I would agree, it is hard to pay for them to read once.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 7:08:04 PM PDT
L. A. REED says:
My son really loves them so I'll buy them no matter what. Convincing him that he needs to read a real chapter book, that is a bit more difficult!

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 12:05:33 PM PDT
My son too reads them several times. I can't figure out why he would like to do that, but he says it is like watching your favorite movie over and over again. SO, if he wants to read it over and over, I'll pay the price!!!!!

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 6:30:37 PM PDT
jd says:
15 minutes? Your kid is quite the speed reader! But yeah, I get it, you're exaggerating. Let's not forget, thought, that a lot of hardcover picture books are $15-$18, and there's way less reading time built into those. The way I look at it? This costs less than going to a movie and will probably last about as long. You could always get it at your local library, but you'll probably have to wait a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 6:50:04 PM PDT
L. A. REED says:
With the quantity of books that seem to come in and out of my house, it feels like he only reads them for 15 minutes! lol

If he had it his way, my son would have a LOT more. I guess it could be worse, he could want to spend it on Pokemon or some other expensive toy that would get ruined, lost and forgotten about.

Thanks everyone for the replies. :)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:22:53 AM PST
D. Zarzyckd says:
No, no, no. It took the kid two hours to read it, it took me additional two hours, we will both re-read it and talk about it for a few days. Absolutely worth it.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 8:03:52 AM PST
My three teenage boys buy these themselves with whatever gift money they recieve, or from their paychecks. They've got them on their own special shelf in their room. They've been collecting them for *years*. And I cannot tell you how many times each book has been read, over and over and over again. The only one anxiously awating this newest release is 13, the other two now too "mature". But I know for a fact that once the younger one buys and reads it, the other two will borrow it. This series, and the Rick Riordan books.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 6:55:54 AM PST
Bernadette says:
I'm very selective about the books I buy for my kids. We're huge library-users, but Wimpy Kid books are ones both my kids (ages 11 and 15) will read again and again. So they're must-haves, in my opinion.

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 5:59:39 AM PDT
I also don't like buying books my son will only read once, especially at full price, so many of our books are bought used or checked out from the library. However, this series is one of his favorites. We've bought the entire series, he's read all of them at least 3 times or more, and it continues to be a favorite.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Sep 29, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Third Wheel (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 7)
The Third Wheel (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 7) by Jeff Kinney (Hardcover - November 13, 2012)
4.6 out of 5 stars (3,904)