Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on March 17, 2011
Often, exclusive bonus tracks from various sources are just leftovers which were left out for good reason. This tracks is definitely an exception. For me, it is actually a better track than a couple of the songs that did make the final cut for Embryonic.

Style-wise, it's wonderfully difficult to classify any Flaming Lips song, but I'll venture to label this one as "Psychedelic Orchestral Noise Folk". It is a track of wide dynamics, including ear-splitting bursts of distorted electronic orchestration, and lots more acoustic guitar than on most recent works. The dual acoustic guitars seem to have teleported in from Pete Townshend's early demos on the left, and from Ummagumma on the right. Starting and ending with the same distorted heartbeat as their remake of "Dark Side of The Moon", this track seems an artifact of the entire range of ideas and sounds encompassing "Christmas on Mars", "Embryonic", and beyond. There's even a subtle hint of the infamous on-stage motorcycle of their crazed youth. The lyric seems very personal, and while it makes it's own kind of impression on my psyche, I doubt I would ever understand it in the same way as Wayne, or whomever wrote it. It loops nicely and a couple of times I have caught myself listening to it a dozen or so times in a row without realizing it.

In addition to this one, there are three other Embryonic bonus tracks available through iTunes, but none of them measure up to this one. Amazon picked the best of the litter for their bonus track.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again