Customer Discussions > Apollo 13 [HD DVD] forum

Apollo 13 on Blu-ray, finally

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2010 9:25:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2010 9:26:43 AM PST
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm excited that this is finally coming out on Blu-ray. I had this on laserdisc, then SD-DVD, and also HD-DVD (still have it actually, and my obsolete player too). The picture quality of the HD-DVD is definately better than the DVD, but it's not 5 star. I'm assuming this Blu-ray will be the same video transfer of the HD-DVD, which has 4 star video in my opinion. It looks like the audio will be DTS-HD, according to Hidefdigest dot com. The HD-DVD has Dolby Digital Plus sound so I'm looking forward to hearing the difference with the lossless audio on this Blu-ray. I'm also excited to be owning this on a format that's not obsolete.

Posted on Feb 22, 2010 10:28:26 AM PST
Yes, a classic. Hoping for "From the Earth to the Moon" on BR too.

For any Apollo era fans, I recommend collectspace.com

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2010 2:24:02 AM PDT
i had this on dvd as a gift from my dad the dvd's have long been lost and the case is missing/distroyed. im psyked to see the difference once this blu-ray meets my ps3. and i for got to menchen this is my all time favorit movie

Posted on Apr 9, 2010 10:56:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 9, 2010 10:56:53 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 10, 2010 9:37:41 AM PDT
Subtitles for this release are as follows:

"English SDH, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Italian, Bulgarian, Czech, Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Romanian, Slovenian"

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3031/apollo13.html

Posted on Apr 12, 2010 6:44:50 AM PDT
C. Calderon says:
Same here, I have the dvd and the hd-dvd. It looks like this BR disc is coming with a couple of additional extras that are not available on previous editions. And as a Apollo era fan, I'll get this edition also.

Posted on Apr 14, 2010 3:44:41 PM PDT
K. Caldwell says:
so has anyone yet purchased and played the Blu-ray yet? I'm hearing it takes too long to load.

Posted on Apr 14, 2010 4:32:44 PM PDT
I bought it today, and yes it does take a while for the movie to begin playing. Usually when I disable the internet connection when playing Blu-ray discs with BD-Live, they load faster. I haven't done that with this movie yet, but I will soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2010 7:30:23 PM PDT
K. Caldwell says:
I just bought mine today as well ; ) I'm attending the Apollo 13 lecture down at the Air and Sapce Museum tomorow - I'm SO excited!! I haven't played it yet, I'll do that this weekend. so when you say 'yes, it does take a while' is it like 10 to 15 min or does it just feel that long? thanks for your reply.

Posted on Apr 14, 2010 9:10:19 PM PDT
Your experience may differ, depending on your player make and model, your internet connection (if you have one connected to your player) and the size and make of memory you have connected to your player. I have a Panasonic DMP-BD65 with a 1MB Sandisk SD card and Earthlink DSL (I don't know my connection speed off hand).

From the time I insert the disc to when the movie actually starts playing is approximately 6 minutes. I also have Terminator 2 on Blu-ray and it takes the same time. The BD-Live content on these discs is the reason for this. Also note that all BD discs that contain BD Live content will not resume playback from where you left off after you press the stop button - they all will start at the beginning of the disc, no matter what make or model of player you own. Make sure you press pause on these discs.

Posted on Apr 15, 2010 11:45:58 AM PDT
K. Caldwell says:
ok - I opened the disc and was surprised there was only one disc. perhaps that's why it takes longer than those with multiple discs. thanks for you feedback. regardless - I'm so excited.

Posted on Apr 15, 2010 2:48:57 PM PDT
its a duel layer blu-ray and load in about the same time as a singel layer blu-ray with bd-live. i like that its one disc lol less things to louse. like other have stated load times as player and internet dependent. i have a ps3 so most of my bly-ray's are nice and snappy with there load times.

Posted on Apr 15, 2010 3:18:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2010 3:20:21 PM PDT
And to think the actors went through 500-600 dives (of approx 30-40 seconds a pop) in the vomit comet to film the
scenes to get real weightlessness, is just amazing.

I actually own an Apollo 13 beta cloth mission patch from Lovell's PPK (that was on the
mission) and it's one of my prized possessions.

Posted on Apr 16, 2010 8:32:39 AM PDT
I have a PS3 fat version. Load times were not an issue here. From the time I put the disk in, the menu was up in less then 2 min. I really liked the fact there were no forced trailers to watch. The audio is worth a purchase. Master DTS is dreamy on this movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2010 8:43:06 AM PDT
Yes, for that very reason I'm considering the purchase of a PS3. With most other Blu-ray players, you're limited to whatever memory card you can put on it, but with the PS3 it uses the built in hard drive which can outperform any memory card or stick. I wish there was a way to connect a large hard drive to the USB port on my Panasonic player - maybe there is, I'll have to experiment with that.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2010 10:35:22 AM PDT
K. Caldwell says:
if you find a solution - please pass it along. I have the Sony BDP-S500 though.
thank you all for your feedback, much appreciated and very excited about watching it this weekend.

Posted on Apr 16, 2010 6:27:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2010 6:28:24 PM PDT
Nina says:
HELP!!! I love this film and was thrilled to order it on Blu Ray. It took a long time to load - 4 full minutes. And, the first time I loaded it went into a loop when I hit play. FINALLY got the film to begin. But, there are all these incredibly disruptive(!!!!) pop-ups (windows about the technology)! I've turned off all the extra features, but still they're appear. I actually stopped watching the movie because they so distracting. I cannot figure out how to turn them off! Anyone know?

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 16, 2010 8:16:36 PM PDT
It sounds like you selected the BD-Live feature which allows the interactive features to work while the movie is playing. Try just playing the movie from the top. If you don't hit any arrow keys and just select English and the hit enter again, the movie should just play from the top without all the BD-Live stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2010 9:12:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2010 9:42:51 PM PDT
Nina says:
Thanks! I said "no" to BD-Live the one time (of many tried) anything pertaining to it popped up. I'm guessing this is BD-Live which I've never bothered with before. No Blu-ray disc has ever defaulted to it. And, I haven't been able to turn it off. I took a picture (not sure if the link will get deleted) -
http://www.ninaco.com/images/temp/apollo%2013%20screen%20issue.jpg

That's what the movie looks like as it's playing.

Posted on Apr 16, 2010 9:52:37 PM PDT
Nina says:
Update - I went into the network menu for my Blu-ray player and set BD Live to "prohibited." Then, inserted the disc and tried again. Even with BD Live prohibited, the window is appearing.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2010 10:11:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2010 10:20:23 PM PDT
Interesting. I'm trying to get mine to show the same way. I'll play with it more and get back to you.

UPDATE: the inset picture you are seeing on certain scenes are part of the "U-Control" feature on this disc. "U-Control" can be turned on and off during the movie by pressing the red button on your remote control. I'm not sure why it is on by default in your player as it defaults to off in my player. Let me know if you are able to get it to work.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2010 5:01:56 AM PDT
Nina says:
Thanks for checking Rushead! U-Control is turned off. When it's on, there's a little "U" on the bottom of the screen. I can turn U-Control on and off using the red button, but the picture-in-picture window is there regardless of whether it's on or off.

Looks like I've either got a defective disc or the disc isn't compatible with my Samsung Blu-ray player.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2010 5:47:52 AM PDT
I have a Panasonic player and if I turn on U-Control, I can see the picture in picture at the scene you showed in your photo. If I press the red button, the picture goes away immediately. Maybe there is a newer firmware for your player that may address this.

Posted on Apr 17, 2010 5:51:21 AM PDT
Nina says:
Thanks again. I checked the firmware last night & the player is running the latest version.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2010 9:14:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2010 9:16:47 AM PDT
AVS forums is a good place for technical stuff like this. There is probably a thread there for users of your specific make and model of player. You could probably find out there if users are having the same problem with this specific movie. It's also possible that Samsung will need to address this issue in a future firmware update. Sorry for your frustration.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=149
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Apollo 13 [HD DVD] forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Feb 11, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Apollo 13 (Widescreen Edition) [VHS]
Apollo 13 (Widescreen Edition) [VHS] by Tom Hanks (VHS Tape - 2000)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (812)