5.0 out of 5 stars You need to reach the ratchet to lower....
Published 11 months ago by Pro-gun

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty please use caution
I read all the reviews on this product seems great, just received it today. I bought it to hang up my pool table light which weighs just 13 lbs. set it up, hooked to the light and wham light slams on table. So i must be the unlucky one, it was not a gear issue a complete part failure as seen in attached picture. Guess the clamp was never squeezed properly on rope...
Published 15 months ago by Nirbush

5.0 out of 5 stars You need to reach the ratchet to lower...., February 12, 2014
Pro-gun (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apollo Horticulture GLRP18 Pair of 1/8" Adjustable Grow Light Rope Hanger w/ Improved Metal Internal Gears (Lawn & Patio)
I asked the question before purchasing so figured I'd share it in my review. The item is superb quality. To lower the grow light (or whatever you are hanging from it), you need to be able to reach the ratchet end to press the release button. Since my grow light hangs from a ceiling, I hooked the ratchet end to the grow light and the hook-only end to the ceiling hooks. I also shortened the ropes so they aren't in the way as much since they would hang below the light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ratchet hangers, January 23, 2013
These are without a doubt the best ratchet hangers in the market...the gears are all metal,the rope is thicker. And they are cheaper ...you can't beat this deal ....MUST BUY

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Rope Ratchets with Metal Gears, December 4, 2012
RWC (Here&There) - See all my reviews
I really like these rope ratchets. The metal gears make for a better positive lock after adjusting. The Hydrofarm (knock-off) and Ipower ratchets I bought both have plastic gears which can slip if you're not careful.
The Apollo ratchets seem to be better quality overall and are priced cheaper as well. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars buy these., February 19, 2013
i could hang my fat wife on these babys! all metal gears as described. best ive seen any where. boobys

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, July 4, 2013
These rope rachets work really well. Very easy to use with my lights. They also are very strong, i don't have any doubt they will hold up my lights easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, June 11, 2013
I bought 3 sets and am using all 3 with success. No lights on the floor, the mechanisms work well, and that's that.
I like them, I'm happy with my purchase, and I will update this review if anything changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yep, April 25, 2013
My lights hang and move up and down with ease.
No issues at all with them.
I am happy with the purchase for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always can find a use., June 14, 2013
I love these pulleys, they make adjusting lights very easy. At this point I wouldn't know how to function without them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty please use caution, October 31, 2013
I read all the reviews on this product seems great, just received it today. I bought it to hang up my pool table light which weighs just 13 lbs. set it up, hooked to the light and wham light slams on table. So i must be the unlucky one, it was not a gear issue a complete part failure as seen in attached picture. Guess the clamp was never squeezed properly on rope =/

[...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Now that I know the difference I would choose a different brand, October 6, 2013
Just before ordering these 1/8" rope winches I had taken delivery on a 1/4" rope ratchet that was a different brand (Carolina North 10010 1/4" Rope Ratchet with 8' Solid Braided Polypropylene Rope, 150 lbs Capacity). The 1/4" ratchet from Carolina North is very impressive for its cost, and I would rate quality as Good to Very Good. By comparison, I would rate these 1/8" ratchet as "Fair" quality. They work, but next time I would definitely buy the other brand (the 1/8" version of the Carolina North brand was not available on Amazon at time of purchase).

A little more detail: There is a note on the packaging of this item that it has been "improved" by upgrading the ratchet wheel from plastic to metal. It was hard to tell, but I *will* say that the action of this ratchet (ratcheting the load / releasing the tension) feels a bit "cheap", whereas the Carolina North item had a nice smooth feel. I am using this item for a slightly more rigorous purpose than hanging grow lights, but I wouldn't doubt that this ratchet is up to the job of holding lights up. But if you appreciate a better quality solution I think the Carolina North brand is a better product (assuming their 1/8" version is of similar quality to the 1/4" item I bought).

Either way, Happy Growing!