4.0 out of 5 stars Vocab Cards
Published on January 12, 2010 by J. Hyland

2.0 out of 5 stars Too pricey and doesn't quite deliver to expectation
Published on August 16, 2011 by Duy D. Nguyen

4.0 out of 5 stars Vocab Cards, January 12, 2010
Being someone who struggled with the Critical Reading portion on the SAT, I really needed help getting my score up. These vocabulary cards really helped and even improved my score 90 points!! They give you an easy way to help you study for SAT and just improve your general vocabulary. Each card has a picture and something clever to help you remember the definition, which really helped me out. It also has the roots of the word, which not only helps you learn that particular word, but it really gives you the advantage of trying to figure out other words. These cards make the scary SAT words so much more manageable and so many of the words do indeed show up on the test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for students studying for SATS, September 16, 2009
For any student who is trying to excel at the SATS, I strongly urge them to use this product. The cards are great. Each vocabulary card is broken down into the meaning, phonetics, the Latin origin, a pictorial, then a sentence using the word.

In addition, the words are categorized. For example, words like "discretion and decorous" are categorized into "Do the Right thing."

The SAT flashcards are great for any learner, especially multi-sensory learners. We had purchased The Princeton Review, Illustrated Word Smart Book for my older two sons who are now in college. I like the flash cards better as repetition and compliance are more palatable for your teenager. We are using this for my third son.

If your student is an auditory learner, I would suggest combining this product with the CD/tapes.

5.0 out of 5 stars SAT Fab Guide helped raise my score 340 points, March 18, 2010
My mom bought the SAT vocab words the summer after my tenth grade. I was not excited to start reviewing these words over the summer, but after a while it started to really pay off. My score went up 340 points just by increasing my vocabulary, practicing writing responses and by reviewing math problems. The FAB guide helped me further improve my SAT score through repeated practice. Jed Appelrouth's Guide makes preparing for the SAT as fun and laid back as SAT prep can be. This guide shows different strategies to get over the hurdles that the test brings, and teaches in many different ways to target however you learn. Applerouth helped me with the SAT score dramatically, and I would recommend their products and services to anybody.
Brooks

4.0 out of 5 stars Only 340 words, excessively long sentences, August 22, 2011
This review is from: Appelrouth Tutoring Services' SAT Vocabulary Flash Cards (Textbook Binding)
There are 430 cards but only 340 vocabulary cards (so minus 2 stars) + 60 roots like "cis" for incision, or decisive (so add back 1 star), then another 60 blanks for your use. The cards are big and good quality with pictures to try to help you remember the word but sometimes the pictures don't make much sense. The illustrative sentence is sometimes too long and contrived with mnemonics to help that sometimes don't really work because they are irrelevant. For the price you can buy both Princeton Review's and Barron's with 500 words each. The words are hard for the typical HS sophomore or junior so every card is worthwhile.

Each word has a pronunciation guide - which is good - not every flash card pack has that.

Check out GRE flash cards too. Vocab is vocab no matter where you get it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too pricey and doesn't quite deliver to expectation, August 16, 2011
Brought product b/c of great review despite price and b/c of the sample cards that were given. High quality of samples do not really reflect the rest of the product after I looked at the cards. The pictures at time didn't make sense in terms of connecting the word with the image so fails as a nmemonic device (although occasionally they are entertaining). The thing that annoys me most is a lack of a concise, easy to remember definitions; they sometime seems to come out of a dictionary. Brought this to help my brother study for the SAT b/c he like pictures but he ended up getting frustrated with it so we ended up using lower priced products that has worked for me. That said I don't think these cards are completely worthless. Maybe they're good as a review for people who already have a good grasp of the vocabulary (although I think it's too pricey and lower price product can deliver the same result). Bottomline: more expensive does not always mean higher quality. A caveat with my review is that I have not looked at other products that use pictures nmemonic device so I can't say this is the best or worst out there, just that this particular product didn't work for my little brother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boost Critical Reading fast!!!, December 21, 2009
These cards are great! I have been using them over the past months and my critical reading has shot up a good deal. Unlike just a book or list, these words come in practical flashcard form so it is easy to study independently and sort the words into groups of "know" and "don't know". The cards even come with dividers to help with organization. I know that vocab is not always the most fun, but these cards make learning new words as painless as possible. The cards each have the definition, roots, a sentence, and even a picture to help make vocab easy to remember. All of these cues help words stick more than a mere definition. This collection contains the most frequent hits so you really get results fast. I would recommend this product to anyone trying to boost SAT scores!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Effective Way to Prep for SAT Vocab, March 6, 2010
The Appelrouth flash cards are very useful tools if you need to learn your SAT vocab. Each card has the word, its definition, and an amusing little illustration to help you remember the word. If you are dedicated in your studies and just sit down for half an hour drilling vocab with the cards, your word inventory should expand. I was able to raise my score to a 2230 with the help of Appelrouth, so I'd say if they offer you a study tool, it's probably worth it, whatever it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vocabulary Study Aid!, February 11, 2010
Lori M. Genetti (Winter Springs, FL) - See all my reviews
We got Appelrouth Tutoring Services' Flash Cards for my homeschooler to help her prepare for the SAT. They are a great help and have been fun to practice with. My daughter is a visual learner and the drawings really helped cement the definitions. She had not had a strong vocabulary, but we noticed it improving week by week and she felt confident that she was ready for test day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SAT tool!, December 30, 2009
In a word: indispensable!

I used these cards while studying for the SAT; they were wonderful and helped a great deal. I would definitely recommend these to anyone seeking to increase their scores!

3.0 out of 5 stars Sitting at home, September 30, 2011
G. Lilly (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
I am just writing a review not on the product but on the fact that we decided to go with the ACT test instead. SAT is a mind game and ACT is more to the point. SAT is a moneymaker that keeps you buying more and more books and products. Search whether you want to go for the SAT or ACT before buying all of this stuff. They say african americans do better at the ACT.

Appelrouth Tutoring Services' SAT Vocabulary Flash Cards
Appelrouth Tutoring Services' SAT Vocabulary Flash Cards by Jed Appelrouth MS NCC (Textbook Binding - January 1, 2007)
Used & New from: $11.25