4.0 out of 5 stars Compare & Contrast
Published on March 16, 2012 by M. Gerrish

1.0 out of 5 stars won't download issue
I am unable to download the magazine. The app tells me I don't have enough space. But I have lots of space.
Published on May 28, 2012 by Atticus Daniel

4.0 out of 5 stars Compare & Contrast, March 16, 2012
This review is from: Bon Appetit Magazine (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
I subscribed to Bon Appetit for Kindle Fire. Opened the Newsstand each month to find the new issue automatically available. As with other digital magazines, you peruse in 'page' view, then switch to 'text' view when an article catches your fancy. Crisp, clear, with all the same stories just as they appear in the physical magazine. Not a perfect thing, the digital magazine, but nice.

But the Bon Appetit digital-app version is something else entirely. I have both the digital newsstand and digital-app versions of the April 2012 issue (sticky buns!), and all the same stories and articles are offered.

The digital-app version is not a direct, scan-like copy of the magazine, though. It is equally beautiful, but far more photo-centric with interactivity.

Video that might be included in an issue is not dependent on WiFi for viewing once the magazine is on your Fire. In this particular issue, I definitely learned something from the video in a way I probably would have missed if it hadn't been included. Also, instead of swiping through to find the recipe as one would with the virtual or physical magazine, there are small pop-ups on the photos with sidebar info, and links to take you directly to the recipe. From there you might choose the option of viewing the recipe in step-by-step form. You can easily save or share recipes, too, if you're a fan of "clipping" recipes.

And the photos are gorgeous, as we've come to expect from Bon Appetit. It's the way all digital magazines should (and will) operate. As a bonus, it doesn't cost any more than the original magazine.

What I don't like? Not a big deal, but the magazine presents as an app on the front screen rather than appearing in the Fire Newsstand. When the new issue arrives, it downloads into your Fire (as with the digital magazine), but it is a heavier load than the original digital version and takes time to download. It also takes time for the magazine to open when you're itching to browse. Not an unreasonable amount of time, but not instant-on, either. Finally, if you keep all your books, music, maybe video and movies on the Kindle Fire, you might encounter a space problem. I don't, so it wasn't a problem to load this magazine. When I'm done with it, I'll remove it from the Fire, but it will continue to be available for me at Amazon for future reference and I'll continue to enjoy the clippings I saved.

Previously, I simply breezed through the physical and digital Bon Appetit. Now I return to the issue repeatedly to enjoy, be actively engaged in and spurred into imagination by it. Love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice app with great features, February 22, 2012
This review is from: Bon Appetit Magazine (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
I'm mainly adding this review to sort of counter the other unhelpful ones written by people who are probably having some sort of technical difficulty. The app works great on my Fire, and really enhances the magazine. I love the interactive features - additional photos, step-by-step instructions, supplementary details and trivia; it all just makes the magazine feel a little bit more in-depth than the static version. There are some moments of sluggishness, but nothing overly serious; clicking on an icon might result in a brief wait while the feature loads, but overall it feels fairly smooth.

If you like BA, and moreover, if you like reading the Kindle version on your Fire anyway, the interactive app is definitely worth a try.

1.0 out of 5 stars won't download issue, May 28, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Review, April 18, 2013
This review is from: Bon Appetit Magazine (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
The bon appetit app will not recognize my password as many times as I have tried. It has worked all of two times of all of the many times I have tried to log in. This is totally useless!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Downloaded April 32, 2012, December 14, 2013
I love this App and pay the subscription fee. = 5 stars

Unfortunately, I recently upgraded to the new Kindle Fire HDX. The app is not available for the HDX, the money paid does not allow access to the digital magazine, previously paid for content is not in the cloud and there seems to be no way to cancel the subscription. - Minus 4 Stars

If you will be upgrading your device soon, avoid the app. Wait to subscribe to the magazine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Free to print subscribers!, March 10, 2012
This review is from: Bon Appetit Magazine (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
When browsing on my Kindle Fire for apps it isn't clear that this app does allows free Kindle viewing for those of us that already have a print subscriptions.

Only negative, download the current issue (~273 Meg) seen to go very slow. I estimate it took 10 minutes. Very nice looking on the Fire once downloaded.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whats the big idea!?, April 11, 2012
This review is from: Bon Appetit Magazine (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
I subscribedto bon appetit before it was an app. so I have previous issues... but they didn't transfer when I oppened this app.. that kinds sucks. but I also noticed that it does take some time... like a few minutes to download and install... I haven't even got to open an actual issue.... still waiting...

*****UPDATE*****
Literally right after i pressed send, my issue finished installing. It is AWESOME! It is better in this app.. it pops the recipes out into a different page, and you even have step by step instructions shown 1 at a time. Which will be perfect when i try stuff out! :D I dont have to scroll in to read the text, everything is in perfect view. I also enjoyed how interactive it became! scrolling, and pressing, and pop-outs... nice! :D I changed my review from a 3 to a 4. Because i would like to enjoy my past issues in this light.. but oh well.. AWESOME! I like it!

1.0 out of 5 stars required update AWFUL, December 9, 2013
This review is from: Bon Appetit Magazine (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
Worked fine. Loved magazine. Told I had to update app: apparently so I could buy on line from the issue. Now half the recipes don't open. Must find out how to cancel subscription. Ugh.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't log in. Piece of CRAP!!!!!, November 10, 2013
L J. "LJ" (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bon Appetit Magazine (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
Ordered from Bon Appetit and then got program from newstand on kindle. tried to enter subscription number and it sat attempting to get to editor page( Conde Nast) for 10 minutes. Finally hit home to try again and now all I get is a blank page when I hit Current Subscriber button again. What a piece of crap and I am cancelling my subscription.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!, June 13, 2013
This review is from: Bon Appetit Magazine (Kindle Tablet Edition) (App)
From the beautiful photographs to the tips (I changed coffe brands because of their taste tests) it is a delight. I am not a gourmet cook, but even I find recipes I can cook. Inspiring!

Rate and Discover Movies