Hi All,

True to my gadget envy, I acquired one of these dual band extreme base stations to see if they held up to the hype. Sure enough, Apple has improved an old mediocre product with a new more powerful hardware engine and improved software abilities.

Features:
802.11 A/B/G/N DUAL Band radios at 2.4ghz and 5ghz simultaneously.
Gigabit...
Published on March 20, 2009 by Tarunc

3.0 out of 5 stars A Question of Value and Capability
Published on July 21, 2009 by TJS

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple nails it with this dual band router - A/B/G/N - and Guest Access!, March 20, 2009
Tarunc (Hillsborough, NJ) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Apple AirPort Extreme Dual-band Base Station MB763LL/A [OLD VERSION] (Personal Computers)
Hi All,

Features:
802.11 A/B/G/N DUAL Band radios at 2.4ghz and 5ghz simultaneously.
Gigabit Ethernet ports 1x Wan and 3x Lan.
Guest wireless network.
Disk sharing via USB connected drive.
Access to shared disk via MobileMe (apple mobile me subscribers on os x).

The box comes with the router, the power cord, software cd, and documentation....limited documentation.

Time to test.

Setup: Setup of an apple base station is unlike any other in that you cannot access the setup portal via your web browser. You must install the Apple Airport utility (both mac and windows) in order to set the router up. The software is built very well and provides the typical ease of use known to MAC users. You simply walk through a setup wizard and define simple options for your internet connection, your wireless network, etc, etc. NOTE: When setting up your wireless networks you are able to hit the options button so that you can define a 5ghz network as well (example, main wireless network called wifi, the 5ghz is called wifi (5ghz)). Very easy to setup and get going. You are also able to easily define a SECURED (wpa/wpa2) guest wireless network....which simply means that if you have a visitor they can use wi-fi but not get to any of the computers on your home network. Very Secure....and a great feature to boot.

I was using the old Apple Base Station and kept switching between it and a d-link wireless n router.... I got one of these primarily due to dual band and guest access.

Yes, there are other routers out there that can do this for a bit of a lower cost...but the elegance of the Apple Airport Utility make this a router that can be setup without too much hassle. The software will also identify problems in the setup and have you correct them before it uploads them to the router. These abilities alone make this a router for the non-geeks to be able to setup a robust networking environment at home.

Wireless: As I mentioned before, I am comparing this to an older model apple base station that was single band and worked in the N range. Also compared this against a D-Link DIR-655 which is a 2.4ghz Wireless N router. The section on speed below will detail my wireless experience.

Speed: I have Comcast cable modem service which gives me about 15-25mbps down and 2mbps up....I live in an area where there are probably 5-10 subscribers...so my speed is generally GREAT and never experiences a slow down. The first thing I do when I play with a new router is do a speed test....the new base station is comparable to the others and gets the same exact download/upload speeds over ethernet. There is one exception....using the wireless on this unit yielded BETTER results then the older model and the d-link. Normally when doing a speed test over wireless I get about 12-15mbps and 2mbps up....with this router I was able to successfully hit the 20mbps mark and 2mbps UP. WIN WIN!!!! So I figured that this may be an anomaly and thus proceeded to test a download from Microsoft - a 3.4gb file - which normally downloads anywhere between 900kpbs and 1.2mbps. Surprise.....with the new base station I stayed at 1.3mbps and it did not hiccup even once. The same was true when downloading via a wireless connection, albeit the speed was 1.0mbps....faster then I have ever gotten before. WIN WIN again!

Disk Sharing - Not much to be said here...I attached a Western Digital USB hard drive 320gb and shared it. You simply go into the Airport Utility software and setup sharing of the hard drive and define which password should be used. You can either use the password for the router or setup a separate password to use with Disk Sharing. Speed is dependent upon wired or wireless. I tested while transferring 3 files...one was 2mb one was 100mb and one was a 2.5gb file. The two mb file of course went over before I could blink...the 100mb transferred over in about 3-4 minutes...the 2.5gb took about 15 minutes. The first transfer test was with ETHERNET connectivity. I did the same tests over wireless and found that the times doubled...naturally since wireless is a bit slower I expected that and had no issue with the times.

Mobile-Me - I have not tested the mobile me features just yet but will be testing them in the days ahead and post my results here.

So far I feel this router has hit perfection and will now find a permanent spot in my home...at least until something better hits.

Please do leave me comments with suggestions on the review and or any questions you may have.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Router, March 13, 2009
Steve (Cleveland, OH) - See all my reviews
Thanks to the easy setup through AirPort Utility, I was up and running within minutes. This router has rock-solid wireless connections and excellent range. Operation has been flawless, no signal drops like with some competing routers. Unlike the previous generation MB053LL/A which could only operate in one band at a time, Apple has added a 2nd radio to this new unit that allows for allows for simultaneous dual-band operation- It's like 2 routers in 1. This router allows you operate 5.0 Ghz-compatible devices on one network and 2.4 Ghz-compatible devices on the other, all from this one router. My wireless N-equipped aluminum MacBook connects to the 5.0 Ghz band and gets wireless local network speeds ranging from 200 mbps to 300 mbps. My other b/g devices connect to the slower 2.4 Ghz band. By default setup, there is one network name. When you connect to it, it will automatically join the band (2.4 Ghz or 5.0 Ghz) with the fastest connection speed that your wireless device supports. For example, a new wireless N-equipped MacBook will automatically connect via N to the 5.0 Ghz band. In addition, there is an option to assign a separate name to the 5.0 Ghz network which you can manually connect to if you so choose.

The Guest Network feature is a nice addition and certainly sets this router apart from the competition. It allows you to give Internet access only to visitors simply by setting up a separate guest network in AirPort Utility. When a user connects to the guest network, the router uses a built-in algorithm to automatically join them to the band (2.4 Ghz or 5.0 Ghz) with the fastest connection speed.

I connected a Brother HL-2140 laser printer to the usb port on the router and it worked perfectly, without having to install any print drivers.

I highly recommend this router.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Question of Value and Capability, July 21, 2009
TJS (Bay Area) - See all my reviews
My fourth Apple AirPort router, my eighth overall. In general, you get better value for your dollar from other manufacturers. And for any network scenario I've dealt with, I've spent far, far more time debugging problems with the AirPort routers than I have for the others. That may seem counter-intuitive given Apple's reputation for simplicity, but in the network arena that's been my experience. Some of the areas where Apple falls short, in my view...

Security: AirPort Extremes always reply to an outside Ping. There's nothing you can do about it, so the black hats always know your network exists. Not a great idea. Every other router I've used had a more sophisticated firewall (AirPorts only have NAT), and kept more detailed logs.

Range: Don't believe the hype about twice the range (note that the fine print on the box says it offers twice the range - compared to *Apple's* previous G-band products). In practice the range is no better than my old G-band router the AirPort replaced, and if you intend to use the less-crowded 5 MHz N-band the range will be about half of that. Maybe 30 feet around here.

Documentation: Like most things Apple, the documentation is pretty, but too insubstantial to be of much real help. I guess in the interests of trying to keep things simple Apple likes to use its own parlance rather than generally accepted WiFi terms (e.g., "closed network" is Applespeak for 'don't broadcast the SSID'), so you end up having to puzzle things out if you do happen to already know a few things about networking. In general there's inadequate discussion of the various things you really need to know to configure the product for any but the most mundane installations. You'll end up scanning the Apple discussion forums for answers, or Googling. Takes time.

Updates: AirPort software updates tend to be problematic. Always wait awhile and check the discussion forums before installing updates. There often seem to be problems with attached USB disks (I lost everything on a Seagate drive two releases ago, forums report more disk problems with the latest release), and if you're really unlucky you end up with a brick. Fortunately, it's relatively easy to downgrade to a prior release when you do have problems (if you know the secret of the Option key), but again, you've wasted time.

Router Admin. You can administer most other routers using a browser, but the AirPort requires an application called "AirPort Utility." Yet another piece of software to keep current. The Windows version is a bit different than the Mac version, a bit behind in terms of features, and seemingly somewhat less stable than the Mac version. I always use the Mac versions for updating the routers. Seems to result in fewer problems.

So that's about it. Not a bad product by any means, but not the best value in terms of time or money, either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect, July 22, 2009
V. Pham "Xodius" (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
To start, I run a mix environment. I have 1 Macbook, 1 XP PC, 1 Vista PC, 1 Ubuntu laptop, 1 HP ex470 homeserver, 1 PS3, 1 Xbox 360, and 1 Wii. This router is the third router I have ever owned. I owned two Linksys w54g before. Each time I moved, I left the router for person who stayed behind. This time, I moved in with my wife and decided to purchase the Apple Extreme because I wanted wireless N and I do like Apple products and wanted to try and see if it was worth the price.

First Impression and setup
This product, like all other Apple products was neatly packed and beautifully designed. Setup was very easy. Since I did not have an old router to migrate previous settings from, I had to start a new setup. The process was very easy and I love the ability to setup Guest Network. It probably took me 15 mins to get the router set up and my hard wired XP PC to access the internet. No problems what-so-ever. Like all the other reviews, I did not like that I had to install the utility software to setup the router however, I knew this before the purchase.

The next step was to setup the rest of my devices. Adding almost all of the other devices was a breeze.......except for the Xbox 360. I kept getting the "NAT is STRICT" message. I tried setting up a DMZ for the 360 according to some online tutorials but it still would not work. The final solution was to switch the modem to bridge mode and let the Router handle the NAT. Once I completed all the necessary setups, I kept getting drops in signals. Sometime it would be at 4 bars and sometime I would get 1 bar. My Linksys had no problems handling all of my devices out of the box so I don't understand why I have to jump through hoops to get the Apple one to work.

I also had to setup a static IP for the HP homeserver but I knew I had to do that going in because the Apple Extreme doesn't suppot UPnP [..]

Finally, I set up the shared drive through the router. That was also a hassle. Initially, I got the drive connected and every computer on the network could see it. After I rebooted my windows machine, I could not connect to the share drive. Somehow, the apple utility would not accept the "SAVED" password that I assigned it during setup. Not sure why. I reformatted the harddrive to a Mac format (It was Fat 32 before) and connected the drive and started over. Still nothing. The linux and mac notebook saw the drive just fine but none of the windows machine could. Then, out of the blue, everything started working again.

In conclusion, if you're running an Apple only network, go for it. This router rocks and is very easy to setup. If you're running a mix environment, you might want to think twice about dealing with the hassle. Xbox gamers......you will probably run into setup problems if you're try to connect wirelessly. Google it and you will see that there are plenty of people out there with the same problem. I was unaware of the connectivity problems with the 360 prior to purchasing this device. If I had know about it, I would've probably gone with the Dlink wireless N dual band router which has also gotten good reviews. I gave it 4 stars because once you get it setup, the router just work. I docked it one star because the setup was a hassle for mix environment and the problems I encountered with the network drive.

Update: It seems my shared hard drive issue is related to the new firmware 7.4.2. A lot of people reported losing connection to the hard drive once they upgraded to the new firmware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best for mixed networks, March 20, 2009
I had wrestled with other wireless routers for years the last being a D-link Now my 4th is this Apple. I have a mixed network of wired and wireless, 2 Macs, Apple TV, a Ruko, and 2 PCs. It took less than 5 min. to network each Mac, Ruko and the Apple TV. The PCs took about 6 min because Bonjour needed to loaded. Even my Asus netbook was simple. I could not believe how easy and now I have a 2 band (both bands are used by the Apple products) encrypted, 2 network system running at > 300 mbits instead of 54. It increased the reliability of the cable internet but not its speed (most cable internet is very fast but not that fast. What it does do is increase my transfer speed of photos and music between computers . I was almost disappointed I did not get to fiddle with the system just a little more. Took me five minutes this morning to add a USB hard drive. I think next I'll ad a hub and a printer or maybe more hard drives - nice choices

5.0 out of 5 stars Stable, fast, user-friendly, brilliant., June 28, 2009
H. Wu (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This product replaces a series of D-Link routers. While those worked, every one of them (most recent a MIMO Super-G model) was unstable and finicky. The latest would "forget" it's settings and have to be rebooted at least once a week, and sometimes even a couple of times a day. The last time, it even forgot how to access the web as a DHCP v. PPPoE connection, so a reboot alone did not help - we had to set up the whole thing again from scratch. D-Link support was not much help and never could explain the instability - we even tried surge suppressors and filtered power supplies.

Since we are a Mac household (24" iMac and two MacBooks), we bit the bullet to spend extra money for this Apple router. Best decision we could have made - who cares if it cost more if the product does everything you want and does it well?

The router arrived 48 hours after the order was placed. From the moment we opened the box to the time we were on the web, less than fifteen minutes. Most of that time was just moving Ethernet cables from the old box to the Apple. The setup utility at first transferred the old D-Link settings to the Airport, but that did not work. So we just started again from scratch, and about a minute later after a reboot, we were off to the races.

It has been about a week. No crashes, no reboots, one service suspension in order to download/install a firmware upgrade (all of 2 minutes). Faster than before, and the extra Guest network is a real plus. Stronger signal than before too - five bars all over the house when compared to two at best in the further reaches with the D-Link.

The USB 2.0 connection to our HP networked color laser worked perfectly - we found the printer and it was on the network in seconds via Bonjour. We'll probably get a hub and attach a network hard drive at some point, fully confident it will work like a charm.

We got what we paid for, and would do it again without a second of hesitation. Bulletproof. Highest recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple does it again, May 13, 2009
Apple computer has a track record of providing only the best hardware, and this just keeps that record rolling. I already had the previous Airport Extreme Base Station and loved it. But, as any N router would do, it dropped to the slower G when there were G devices in my house (and there always were). So, I purchased this one and made it my access point. The other now extends my wireless to my son's room where he is connected via wifi at N speed. My television is connected via a dual-band Airport Express (also at N speed) and the iPhones in the house and the Wii all use the G speed. This was easy to set up and works great. Keeping things all Apple helps, but they just work!

5.0 out of 5 stars By Far The Best Router I Have Ever Used., April 10, 2009
Everything is great about this router. It is easy to setup, the range is excellent, the firewall is intuitive and it doesn't run too hot. This router is running on a Windows based network and I have had no comoatibility issues.

Customer service is great as well. I could not get a keyboard sharing app to run called Synergy. Everything else, including my VPN connection, was working perfectly. I called customer service, got right through was escalted to a senior tech who quickly solved my problem (it was windows firewall, Duh!)

I am a windows guy but if all Apple stuff is as good as thie router, I might be convinced to switch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Initial Impressions, July 7, 2009
UofC95 (Arlington, VA) - See all my reviews
Hello,
I wanted to toss out some initial impressions quickly before doing a detailed review. I run a mixed system (1 macbook, 3 PCs, PS3, ipod touch, iphone 3GS). Key factors for me in making my decision was 1) speed - will this be an upgrade in speed / stability from my Linksys; 2) will a USB drive work with time machine; 3) will my NAS still work fine? First, speed . . . I'm running my mac on the 5ghz band with a n wireless card . . . it's faster, but not noticeably. Second, stability . . . it's more stable, but I still can't run a full length movie streaming from my macbook to my PS3 without a few hiccups; it's better, but not perfect. Third, using a USB drive through the AE works perfectly with Time Machine. This is a huge plus for me. Fourth, my existing NAS is competely accessible on my network connected through an ethernet connection. Also, my printer works fine connected through ethernet (not occupying my USB port). The setup wasn't too onerous, but not plug and play either.
So, to sum up this is a very strong all around performer. Quite honestly it is the best all around solution for me. It would be a 5 if I noticed the upgrade in speed (both to the 5ghz band and the n technology). I hope this is helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Dual Band Airport Extreme, April 10, 2009
KOZ "Apple Fan" (Jackson, Michigan) - See all my reviews
I just upgraded my MB053LL/A, last years Airport extreme with Apple's newest Dual band Airport Extreme, and I have to say I love it. Setup was a breeze just like every Apple product I buy. My network is stronger and faster then it's ever been. I ran Last years Extreme in 802.11n only and bridged the connection to an Airport Express to have 802.11g for our iphone, ipod touch, Wii, and old dell Laptop. I would have weak signal in some areas of the house and even loose connection. Now it's super strong and I have great signal every where in the house, even outside in the back yard where I would never get it. I also have a network drive that seems to work faster on this new extreme.

I would definitively recommend this to anyone who is thinking about upgrading to a 802.11n router. This Router in my eyes is the best Dual Band Router on the market. I've dealt with a couple of competitors(D-link and Linksys) and this one is the best hands down. Apple does it again.