4.0 out of 5 stars How to clean your mouse ball
Many of the reviews are negative because the mouse "stops working in one direction" or some similar symptom. Most of the time this is due to dirt getting onto the sensors.
Here's how to clean it. Forget the alcohol. Forget removing the ball.
Get a clean sheet of white printer paper.
Turn your mouse off, then turn it upside-down.
Place the mouse on...
Published on December 13, 2010 by Jerry I

2.0 out of 5 stars Would be 5 stars except for the scroll ball
Published on November 8, 2007 by Stratman

2.0 out of 5 stars Would be 5 stars except for the scroll ball, November 8, 2007
Stratman "Don" (Germantown, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Bluetooth Wireless Mighty Mouse (Personal Computers)
This is a great mouse in every way save one: the scroll ball has a limited life for all practical purposes. Once it gets dirty (and just like the old pre-optical ball mice, the scroll ball, made of hard rubber, eventually gets dirty), the scroll bar becomes unreliable and then, eventually, useless. Apple's recommended cleaning techniques are ineffective; they might work for 30 minutes or so, but that's it. Though I'm a diehard Mac guy, I'm replacing this with something from Logitech or Microsoft. Too bad, because the design is very elegant and effective in every other respect.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to clean your mouse ball, December 13, 2010
Jerry I (Voorhees, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Bluetooth Wireless Mighty Mouse (Personal Computers)
Here's how to clean it. Forget the alcohol. Forget removing the ball.
Get a clean sheet of white printer paper.
Turn your mouse off, then turn it upside-down.
Place the mouse on the paper (upside-down) so that only the ball is touching the paper.
Using FIRM pressure, roll the mouse in all directions on the paper - in circles, in lines. After a bit of time, you should see little black specs on the paper, if your mouse was dirty.
Roll the mouse this way for about a full minute.
Now turn it back on and try it. It should work like new.
Do this every time your mouse starts acting up.

I used one of these for years, and was constantly frustrated until I found this solution. I now use the Magic Mouse, for which there are no issues relative to the ball, but it has its own issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars Could be great, but ... is not., April 26, 2008
This review is from: Apple Bluetooth Wireless Mighty Mouse (Personal Computers)
It's great at the beginning, but sooner or later, the scroll-down function will literally die. There is no non-destructive way to clean the ball to restore its function.

2.0 out of 5 stars not great if you right click a lot, January 15, 2007
This review is from: Apple Bluetooth Wireless Mighty Mouse (Personal Computers)
While for folks who have lived in Appleland for a long time - this might look like a big improvement; coming from windows, I was underwhelmed.

I just moved from Windows to a Mac and am still in the habit of right-clicking a lot. That was one big reason why I bought this mouse instead of using what came along with my iMac. Unfortunately, it misreads a lot of my clicks.

It seems, hardware wise there is only one button on this mouse and the software is supposed to guess (I imagine based on where you press) if its a right click or left click.

This may be very elegant looks-wise but the software is not nearly as ideal as the hardware would be. It considers too many of my left clicks as right clicks and vice versa.

2 stars for good compatibility with all mac products and nice looks but I wont recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hope the Energizer Bunny visits you often!, January 11, 2007
This review is from: Apple Bluetooth Wireless Mighty Mouse (Personal Computers)
Simple and clean design yet packed with many cool features, all of which really do work great. It has a nice feel to it, the scrolling works great, it's awesome to use with Dashboard and of course, it's wireless! The ONLY thing I hate about this mouse is replacing the batteries every two weeks. My advice, shut it off when you're not using it or you'll go crazy with all the battery replacements! Other than that, you'll dig it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Concept, but Needs Improvement, December 27, 2006
This review is from: Apple Bluetooth Wireless Mighty Mouse (Personal Computers)
I purchased the mighty mouse and gave it a try for about 5 days now. The design of the mouse is very creative, however, it could use improvement.

PROS :

1) You can't beat bluetooth, and the battery life on this mouse is excellent.

2) It looks slick! Apple has the right idea and a good concept, but it could use some major improvement.

CONS :

1) When right clicking, it tends to stick or not work at times.

2) The tracking speed will need to be set to the highest level if you are running your video in high resolution, such as 1680x1050. Even at the highest setting, I found myself constantly picking up the mouse to reposition it on the mouse pad. I have tried both standard and "special" laser mouse pads with the same results.

3) If you have large hands, hang it up. After 4-5 days of using this mouse, I gave it a chance, but tonight I ran out to storage and dug out my old logitech wireless. In my opinion, the mighty mouse is too thin, and with large hands your mousing hand tends to start cramping up frequently.

4) The side buttons take quite a bit of pressure to activate - to the point that they feel useless. The side buttons should be sensitive enough where as the user shouldn't have to consciously think about using them. As it is, having to apply the pressure typically makes you look at the mouse, then at the screen, then at the mouse to see if something happened - you feel out of control.

5) After being back on my old logitech, for the last half hour, I think I'm going to part with the might mouse. I figure I could return it to Apple, but, I'll eat the shipping costs -- thus, it will likely be sold / auctioned off and let the buyer pay the shipping.

OVERALL

The mouse looks nice and battery life is great. The mouse constantly makes you feel out of control when you are trying to work -- stiff side buttons, having to pick up and place the mouse, the right click sticking and so on. For someone with large hands, or someone that is use to having precise control over a mouse (such as working with Photoshop) I don't think you are going to be comfortable at all with the mighty mouse.

Honestly, I would recommend a good logitech or even (gulp) a microsoft mouse over this model of mighty mouse. Who knows, maybe Apple will come up with an even mighty'r mouse to address the before mentioned issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy something else, January 19, 2009
This review is from: Apple Bluetooth Wireless Mighty Mouse (Personal Computers)
AFter a few months of use, the track ball started behaving badly. Needed constant cleaning. Now, cleaning doesn't help and the track ball won't scroll at all. Very poor design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice design, LOOOONG battery life, September 13, 2007
This review is from: Apple Bluetooth Wireless Mighty Mouse (Personal Computers)
I've had this mouse for over 6 months now and it's still running on the original batteries that Apple supplied. But your mileage may vary, depending on your usage. I have a Wacom tablet too, so my mousing is light.

As far as the design goes, it's very comfortable. I like the Ivory Soap bar look of it. The scroll nub on top is very useful for scrolling long web pages, but the pinchy buttons on the side are not so nice, due to the lack of force feedback. I've disabled those, as well as the scroll nub click. This is good for older people, like my dad, who aren't as dexterous and prevents accidental clicks. He can push down anywhere on the mouse and I'll click, instead of trying to remember right click or left click, on a more complicated mouse. (He'll click both buttons due to bad finger control).

There's also not a laser beam, like some cheaper optical mice. So, if you have kids, you don't have to worry about them blinding themselves.

It is also true that this mouse can run on 1 battery instead of 2! I wasn't aware until I read the Amazon description. I was skeptical, but I took out 1 battery and it's true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mighty Mouse - I love you, October 7, 2006
This review is from: Apple Bluetooth Wireless Mighty Mouse (Personal Computers)
The BlueTooth Mighty Mouse is a WONDERFUL improvement over the original Mighty Mouse and clearly, the best bluetooth mouse available ---- a direct comparison to other mouse's available -

PROS:

1. BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL MIGHTY MOUSE --- I liked the original (wired) Mighty Mouse, but many of the buttons were difficult to use --- the scroll wheel had a tight grip and the side buttons were impossible to use --- this new Mighty Mouse has a much better scroll wheel (ball) that is a lot looser and easier to use --- in addition, the side buttons are very functional, in addition to all the other buttons

2. BUTTONS ---- I can't stand mouses like the Logitech ones that are filled with so many buttons, that you basically can't help but to press the wrong button here and there --- the Mighty Mouse has an excellent set of buttons, not too many, and not too little --- best of all, they are all laid out perfectly, with software that let's you decide which button will designate what function --- the best set of buttons and layout available on any mouse!

3. LASER TRACKING ---- one reason I often do not use bluetooth mouses is because the tracking is unstable --- the mouse can't keep in line with movements --- however, I'm very pleased with this Mighty Mouse --- the tracking really does feel like a solid wired mouse, making me believe that Apple really invested a lot of good engineering into making the tracking of this mouse excellent

CONS ---

1. SOFTWARE --- the software is easy to use and setup, however, it doesn't seem to work with OS X Panther (10.3) --- so if you are not using Tiger (10.4) then you may wanna reconsider purchasing this mouse, unless Apple gives software for 10.3, but doesn't seem so?

2. HOCKEY PUCK --- personally, I miss the hockey puck mouse, from the original iMac --- but hey - I think they're more Republicans in Massachusetts than there are hockey puck mouse lovers, within this entire world --- so I guess it's personal preference

overall --- it's a great mouse and the price is reasonable

if you are big on right clicking and scrolling, then don't hesitate to buy it

LOVE AND PEACE TO YOU ALL!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good mouse - manfacturing quality problem though, April 3, 2007
This review is from: Apple Bluetooth Wireless Mighty Mouse (Personal Computers)
The mouse is great for its integration with the MacOS; the expose functions, the roller ball, etc

However, when I received mine, it periodically disconnected and randomly reconnected sometimes. I came very close to returning it.

On opening the battery cover (which is not that easy to remove), I dicsovered that the metal tab on the inside that hits the internal "on" switch was a little flat. I opened it out a bit by sticking a knife in the metal fold. This ensured that the switch was activated when the laser window was opened.

Now it's the mouse that it was meant to be... Apple has to perhaps include an extra Quality check in their manufacuring.

I love it.