Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on June 1, 2007
I bought this book after buying Olwen Woodier's other cookbook, Peaches and Other Juicy Fruits. Like the Peaches book, this features recipes all having to do with fruit, in this case, apples.

There are ten chapters, seven of which feature recipes.

Apple History - Some interesting facts about apples, not really needed, but I always enjoy reading through this kind of thing.

Cooking with Apples - What to buy and how to store.

Apple Breakfasts and Breads - 22 recipes for egg dishes, muffins, and other breads. Recipes include; Apple and Puff Omelette, Apple Cheddar Crepes, and Apple-Banana Bread.

Apple Drinks and Snacks - 12 recipes for different drinks, some with alcohol, and assorted snacks and appetizers. Recipes include; Apple Eggnog, Apple Cheese Spread, and Hot Fruit.

Apple Salads and Sides - 21 recipes for vegetable and fruit sides and salads. Recipes include; Stuffed Apples, Apple and Sweet Potato Puree, and Cornbread Apple Stuffing.

Apples Make the Meal - 20 recipes for soups, beef, pork, chicken, and fish entrees. Recipes include; Zucchini and Apple Soup, Grilled Tuna with Apple Chutney, and Cider-Braised Chicken.

Apple Pies and Cakes - 27 recipes, some of which are for doughs and crusts. Recipes are for the expected apple pies as well as for some more innovative dishes. Recipes include; Apple Cream Cheese Tart, Pumpkin - Apple Pie, and Applesauce Gingerbread.

Apple Desserts - 30 recipes for all desserts that are not pies or cakes. Recipes include; Apple Molasses Cookies, Maple Apple Crisp, and Apple - Cinnamon Souffle.

Preserving the Apple Harvest - Canning and freezing apples tips, as wells as 6 recipes for jams, jellies, and chutneys.

Meet the Apples - Lists and describes all of the different varieties of apples, as well as a helpful chart listing the seasons, and how the certain varieties are at freezing, eating, and used in different dishes. I believe this chapter would of done better at the begining of the book.

Overall, this is a very good, fun cookbook. I'd definatly buy it if you're interested in cooking with fruit, love apples, or just want another cookbook. The only drawback of this book is the lack of having any color photos.
on November 17, 2003
I love to add apples to recipes when cooking and this book has recipes that I wouldn't have thought to add apples to. While it has some typical apple recipes in it, be expected to find some unique dishes as well. The cookbook is easy to follow and has recommendations for which apples to use in each recipe.
on December 30, 2006
This cookbook is a treasure ! I've made nearly all the recipes included.

The apple blackberry jam is a crowd pleaser and one I've added to my " make every season list ". Try it, you'll never make plain blackberry jam again. I've purchased at least 10 of these books for gifts also. All Olwen Woodier cookbooks are easy to follow and classics. 5 stars are not enough.
on October 15, 2008
My Mom bought this book on a Vermont vacation in 1984 and it has always been one of her favorites. I grew up eating delicious apple recipes from this book and have always wanted a copy of my own. I ordered two of these paperback reprints...one for me and one for Mom as her old hardcover is falling apart. I highly recommend the Barbara Mullin's Apple Cobbler, Apple Spice Pudding, Apple Banana Bread, and the Onion Apple Stuffing recipes. A perfect cookbook for this time of year!
on April 20, 2014
I know that this probably seems too specialized of a theme for cooking but it's worth checking out. I am really having fun with this cookbook. So far, it's been a big hit with my family. I wanted to get more fruit into our diet and apples are so healthy. This is definitely a fun cookbook.
on February 15, 2014
I love apples and have been looking for new ways to prepare them. There are some great recipes in here. I've tried a few, and there are many more I want to try. Definitely recommended for apple lovers!
on August 12, 2014
One of the best apple books I've discovered. I love apples! When I was a young girl growing up in the early 50's , my Grandmother had some apple trees on her property and she and my Mother put those apples to good use. They made the best applesauce, apple dumplings (they were to die for)...deep
Dish apple pies and on and on. They really worked very hard.
I'm glad that I learned to make their wonderful pie dough...there was a time if I did not have my hands into pie dough the days were not the same. This week will be happy for me because, guess what? I'm going to be making home made apple pies.

I have found some wonderful new recipes to try and I am delighted to read about some of the history about Apple's.
My wish is that younger people today would get back to the art of pie baking.
VINE VOICEon October 22, 2013
Why a Low Five star rating? I would have enjoyed more pictures of apples and finished recipes.

This cookbook is exactly what it seems to be- a cookbook full of recipes using apples. Apple bread recipes, main dishes with apples and so on. Other reviewers have detailed out the chapters so I won't do it again.

Overall the recipes are fairly simple. They do not require exotic ingredients, but instead most everything you should have in your kitchen currently. The directions are clear and easy to follow. Everything I have made using recipes from this cookbook has turned out well.

Well worth the money.
Enjoy.
on January 5, 2012
I ordered this book last year as a result of several goodies my good friend baked. Living in the North East our apples are just fabulous and readily available. Have enjoyed the recipes and understanding the different varieties described within.
on April 8, 2012
For anyone who loves anything apple flavored and enjoys cooking and experimenting with apples and combining them with other types of tasty foods, Apple Cookbook is an absolute *must* in your recipe book collection. I've always believed that apple flavored desserts are the most satisfying, and a good deal of focus centers on many creations that you can try for yourself in your kitchen. Impress your friends and family by serving them the perfect scrumptious dish! This book covers all kinds of ground. Highly recommended.