5.0 out of 5 stars Fall in love with your iPod all over again
(EDIT: While I stand by my five-star rating of these headphones and still love them, they are NOT good for use while exercising. Energetic jostling like that will probably dislodge them, and if not, the subtle feedback from the cable bouncing around will affect the quality of the sound. If your intent is to find something for the gym or running, I'd advise you to look...
Published on March 17, 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars The opposite of good headphones.
My experience:

I wanted new earbud headphones so I sat down at the computer to do some research. I have always liked the look of these apple earbuds, and I read with some trepidation all the negative reviews. But then I read the few glowingly positive reviews, the ones with the expicit instructions about how to insert the earbuds, and I thought, "Sure, I can...
Published on February 26, 2007 by Thomas C. Perya

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 440 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars No way, November 20, 2004
Jonathan (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Earbuds for All iPod Models and Digital Audio Players (White with Gray Earbuds) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I don't know if I have "irregularly shaped" ear canals or simply ear canals that don't match the size of the ear buds Apple makes. I do know that I've tried jamming these things into my ears every which way and the sound is wreteched. I've followed all of the advice here and these things still don't do it. Obviously some people adore them, which is great. I agree that you should try them before you purchase them. If it takes you under two seconds to get them on and sounding good, do it. If not, forget it.

2.0 out of 5 stars slip, sliding away..., September 30, 2005
While they deliver a fine stream of music, these headphones should not be bought by anyone planning on using them while running. They will fall out. And then slip out. And slide out. And, finally, fall out again. Really. In fact, I think my arms got a better work out trying to keep them in then my legs

Yes, these headphones arrive with 3 different ear piece sizes -- but they all fell out (some less frequently than others). Now, if you're planning on riding a plane, a subway, a train, a bus, or the like, these will be super fine. But not a horse. (A cow would be fine.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Earphones...if used properly, July 6, 2004
By A Customer
I found the Apple In ear headphones far superior to the stock iPod earphones. I have own in-ear earphones in the past and in many cases the user is at fault when if doesn't sound to par. Of course people typically blame the product. Typical complaints are:
1. It doesn't sound loud but rather tiny
2. They don't have any bass
3 They don't have any depth
How you wear them will made or break you opinion of these products. Unforunately, apple dropped the ball on providing instructions on how to properly wear the earphones so if you follow these instructions below, I assure you they WILL sound much better than the stock earphones. Credit goes to iPodlounge.com
---FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS FOR BEST PERFORMANCE OF YOUR EARPHONES--
An acoustic seal is the target of all isolation earphones. When an acoustic seal is achieved, sound projected into your ears by earbuds cannot escape and is channeled directly toward your eardrums, while disturbing external noise has no way of getting in. Acoustic seals are air-tight, so when you've got it right, you can feel the difference: pulling gently on an acoustically-sealed earbud will create a gentle tugging sensation inside your ear canal.
There is a knack to getting the earplug inserted deep enough in the ear canal to achieve a good seal.
As with noise suppression earplugs, you have to open up the ear canal by pulling upwards and outwards on the fleshy outer part of your ear (the Scapha).
The easiest way is to reach over the top of your head with your opposite hand, gripping your outer ear just above the mid-point, and pull upwards and outwards while inserting the earplug into your ear.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like these, but...., March 21, 2006
B. Berg (Long Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The idea of upgrading the earphones on your iPod is an excellent one. The cheap ones that are included with an iPod do not do much to enhance listening pleasure. They just kind of make noise.

The sound quality out of these Apple iPod Earbuds is very good. Not excellent, but very good and a good value for $39. Others have gone in to much more detail on this topic, so we will move on.

The down side really is the fit. Even with the three sizes of adapters to choose from, I could only get the buds to stay in one of my ears, and that was only if I held still. The other ear simply popped it out within 15 seconds of installation. None of the ear pulling or contorting changed this inevitable result. Earbuds have to be inserted in to the ear canal to sound good, otherwise they sound worse than the basic iPod ear buds. Overall, sound quality- 4 stars, fit 2 stars.

What to do if they don't fit? I returned them to Amazon for full credit (I love Amazon!) and purchased the Entymotic Research 6i earbuds. They have two choices for ear adapters- one of which is foam that will mould to any shaped ear. These sounded a bit better than the Apple earbuds, but are about twice the cost. Make sure to get the 6i, not the 6. The 6i has more bass and higher output than the 6.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, but having the same problem with the right side, April 7, 2005
T. Bennett (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased my ipod knowing that the hear buds that came with it would not reduce the sound of the Subway. So, I purchased the in-ear apple headphones after much research. After using them for a couple of weeks, the right side speaker blew and I took it back to get a new set. The quality of these headphones are phenomenal. The bass response for such a small speaker is amazing. After adjusting the silicone earpieces to fit my ears and yes you do have to jam them in your ear and wait for them to form in your ears, but after that...Great Sound.

I have not had any trouble with them coming out of my ears. But, I have had the problem with walking and picking up the cord noise. The noise reduction is good. I can wear them on the subway and not hear a thing but my music.

The only bad thing is that my right side speaker blew again after two weeks. There is not an apple store near by either so I gave them up for the Sony Fontopia's. Sound quality is worse, but easier to put in your ears and stays there.

I know Apple makes quality stuff, so I hope they find out about the speaker blowing and fix the problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good!, April 4, 2005
Jason (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
First, let me say this is about the 12th pair of earbuds I have purchased, I just tried those Phillips in ear buds that Target sells with their Ipod accessories for about 30 bucks, big mistake.

Anyway, these Apple's are great. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out that I needed the medium size. It fits great, like you may have read, they need to be all the way in for proper fit and sound, if you think they sound "tinny" they are not in all the way. I didn't have to use the upside down trick, but I did find that pulling at my ear with the opposite hand while placing these in the ear made for a better more secure fit.

I would have given 5 stars but the placement is a bit tricky. They might not work for everyone, but I wouldn't let some of the negative reviews deter you from trying these. For the price they have incredible sound. The bass response is fantasic and they sound about 200% clearer than the original earbuds.

I would recommend these!

1.0 out of 5 stars Apple, what are you doing?, May 20, 2004
By A Customer
Let me start by saying I am a HUGE Apple fan, but these "in-ear" headphones are a complete waste of money. I ordered them because I have a pair of the Sony in-ear headphones that I bought at the Apple store. I loved the Sony one's, but I wanted to get another pair so I tried the Apple headphones. Let me tell you they are terrible. My fiance and I both tried all three sizes on and they just don't stay in. I could not even get them to stay in without moving, they would just fall out of my ear. As with all Apple products the look and feel was great, and the case was amazing. But what good are earphones if they don't stay in your ear?
Pros - 1. Great case
2. Matching color
Cons - 1. Don't stay in your ear
2. Expensive
I would not recommend these to anyone, unless you have a freakishly shaped ear that can somehow accommodate these earbuds. Apple severely messed this one up. I recommend the Sony MDREX71SL Fontopia In-Ear Portable Headphones; they are WAY better.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's all true! These headphones suck, January 29, 2004
Simon Wickes (Prescott, AZ, USA) - See all my reviews
I never would have believed it, but these headphones are dreadul. Apple, you have disappointed me. $40? I picked them up at a local Apple store and when I tried them out, it sounded really trebley. Hardly any bass. After some fiddling about, I tried the set that came with the ipod and suddenly the music sounds SO much better. That is how bad these headphones are. The only way to get decent sound on these is to jam them down your ear and hold them there. Not exactly a practical solution. Apple, this should never have hit the streets, shame on you.

4.0 out of 5 stars It took awhile, but these things are pretty good..., September 19, 2004
When I first tried these out, I was appalled by the sound quality - tinny, no bass, etc. As it turned out, I wasn't inserting them properly, and I was using the wrong size tips (the buds come with three sizes). I fiddled around with the medium-sized tips for a day or so, and after awhile I figured out how to put them in so as to get a tight seal. Then I tried the small tips, and finally the large ones - that did it. Tight seal, solid fit (no falling out), and excellent bass response. You have to work a little to figure it all out (and Apple's inadequate instruction booklet doesn't help), but for $40 these things are pretty good. And I dig the carrying case and the overall design. My initial disappointment has turned into satisfaction - but as I said, it took awhile.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time or money, March 15, 2006
Ordered these because the supplied earbuds don't fit and keep falling out. There may be one person out of a billion whose ears suit the hard round buds. The new ones fit a lot better but the sound quality was very poor with a hissing sound. Did a test with the family and everyone prefered the old ones. Sent these back (amazon had the nerve to deduct $5 from the refund) and now waiting for Sennheisers px 100 in white. Also the Shure earbuds are great if you can afford the price. ipods rule but their earbuds are garbage.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 440 | Next ›