4.0 out of 5 stars Performs as expected
Published on December 6, 2008 by S. A. Trost

The battery in my 2006 MacBook Pro swelled up and had to be replaced under warrantee in 2006. About a year ago, the replacement battery which I had used for 2.5 years was down to 45% of its original capacity so I bought this battery from Amazon Prime as a replacement. It seemed to work okay for about 4 months, and then strange things started to happen.

1) My...
Published on March 6, 2010 by Dr. Robert N. Goldberg

1.0 out of 5 stars Many of these batteries are DEFECTIVE -- Better to buy directly from Manufacturer, March 6, 2010
This review is from: Apple MA348LL/A 15-inch MacBook Pro Battery (Retail Packaging) (Personal Computers)

1) My computer would shut off suddenly with no warning with plenty of charge showing on the battery indicator LEDs. Resetting the PMU (following Apple's instructions) seemed to work, though I no longer got the "running on reserve power" warning but rather a shutdown at the low end of the battery charge.

2) Then after a few months the computer would only run for about 1.5 hours on a full charge. The power indicator showed 2:30 of charge, but it would go down to 0:00 in 1.5 hours and then shut down. Again I followed the documented procedure to reset the PMU -- it did not help.

3) As of December 2009, I could barely get 30 minutes out of the battery, even though the battery health monitor said it had 90% of its original capacity.

4) Finally, as of January 2010, one year after it arrived, the battery is completely DEAD. The charge status LEDs do not light up at all when the button on the battery is pressed. It is no longer recognized as being installed so the computer won't charge it, and the computer goes into hard sleep if the power cord is removed. I reinstalled my old battery and it works fine (except for having only 45% of its original capacity). But 45% on a working battery is much better than 90% of a DEFECTIVE BATTERY.

If I had bought the replacement from Apple, they would (with a little complaining) recognize it as obviously defective and replace it, as they did the defective battery that came with the computer originally.

Be aware that Amazon has no provision whatsoever for replacing defective merchandise unless it is within their return "window", which in the case of this battery is ONE MONTH. The defect started to show up 4 months after purchase. There is no place to go on this web site to complain, other than this review!

MORAL: These batteries fail after a period of months so buy them from dealers that will stand behind them, not just for a month replacement window!

4.0 out of 5 stars Performs as expected, December 6, 2008
S. A. Trost (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
I purchased this item as a replacement for 1.5 year old battery that came from the manufacturer. My previous battery had something wrong with it, in a period of 2 months, it went from 85% health, to about 40% health, and then in a period of about 2 days it dropped below 20% health. This made it so i was getting < 1 hour battery life which was unacceptable. I was at about 290 cycles when it was at 40% health, and I called apple, but they said since it's been over a year they wouldn't do anything about it (which contradicts a lot of things I've heard from other users experiencing the same issues).

At any rate, my new battery is here, popped it in, drained it, gave it a boisterous charge, and now i'm getting somewhere between 3.5 to 4 hours battery life on a full charge. I was appalled after 1 cycle though, the health dropped to 99%, but now I'm nearing 20 cycles and it's still at 99%. Works for now, hopefully this one will last the rated 300 cycles (apple says 300 cycles should have a health of 85% still).

1.0 out of 5 stars Possible quality control issues. I now own 2 defective batteries., June 19, 2009
Be aware that Apple considers batteries "consumables" and are not covered by any warranty. The warranty is tied to your MacBook Pro. If your laptop is out of warranty, so is your battery. This, sadly, is what I discovered when I called Apple tech support about my defective batteries.

I have 2: one that originally came with my laptop, and one I purchased separately for extra power on the road. Both used minimally and about 2 years old when they started having major problems holding a charge and reporting the wrong remaining charge. With one battery, at 85% remaining, the laptop would just completely and suddenly shut down.

These batteries are supposed to last up to 300 cycles, according to the specs. Mine died way before that. When not on the road, I remove the battery and run on AC power, in order to prolong the battery's lifespan (heat deteriorates the cells). One battery has had 146 charge cycles and the other has had 66, as reported by the System Profiler. The charge capacity is wildly erratic, and both show up as "Check Battery" in Profiler status.

Apple issued a battery recall on this SKU, but unfortunately, mine was not eligible for replacement. Non-recalled batteries like mine still have quality control issues, which Apple will not acknowledge.

You may be fortunate to have a good battery and not have to go through the problems I experienced. Mine are 2/2 defective, so I am frustrated at Apple's lack of support. Just something to be aware of when deciding to purchase this battery as a spare because $110 is not a small chunk of change.

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS NOT AN APPLE PRODUCT, July 11, 2011
Warning! This product is not what it appears to be. It is a knock off. IT IS NOT A GENUINE APPLE PRODUCT.

The genuine part advertises 5400mAh on first cycle; this part advertises 4595mAh.
There is no Apple logo on the inside of the housing.
The writing on the housing has font errors and poor printing of the sort Apple would never tolerate.

I am filing a claim asking for a return/refund or somehow make it good.

Knock off parts of this quality commonly run $40-50.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for a great price., February 16, 2008
Received this battery exactly when promised and in the condition promised. I took out my 1-year-old battery and replaced it with this one. It is an Apple battery with perfect fit and match. I charged it fully and immediately noticed the like-new battery life.

The only negative that I experienced was the adhesive from the protective plastic sheets that remains on both exterior surfaces of the battery after the sheets are pealed off. I have read about this elsewhere, so I'm not sure why this happens, but I successfully removed the adhesive residue with some isopropyl alcohol and soft towels before installing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing like 4+ hours of battery life!, April 13, 2008
This replacement battery has brought new life to my Mac on the road. After a year and a half of intensive operation and over 100 cycles on my original battery, my "electrical autonomy" was limited to an hour and a half. With the replacement battery I can now go through entire meetings without having to carry around my power supply.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Replacement!, September 23, 2008
my old, 1 year old, battery gave me hour and a half of life at best, (twas wose in vista)
this new one gives me roughly 4 hours total on a full charge! thats awesome, plus, when i check coconutBattery, it shows that this battery has 6461mAh, which is larger than apple's stock 5500mAh battery,

great price, great product

glad it only has one cycle, i just need to figure out how to keep cycles low! (last one had 380 after one year..)

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed within 3 months, July 19, 2010
Dev (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought my Mac Book Pro 3 years ago. 2.5 years later its battery failed, so I decided to buy another battery. As I love apple products and have faith in them, I bought this battery from Apple through Amazon. I was thinking about buying cheaper batteries with similar warranties, but I thought why take risk? So for I spent $119 on apple battery and as expected it worked perfectly.

As there were some bad reviews for even apple battery, I decided to wait a while before writing review and boy AM I GLAD I WAITED.

WITHIN 3 MONTHS, THE BATTERY FAILS. I was shocked. Now the good thing is apple replaced the battery for free as it comes with 1 year warranty. But now I am thinking to myself, WHY THE HELL I DIDN'T BUY THE CHEAPER ONE? I mean just like apple, those batteries also come with 1 year warranty. Would have saved a lot of money.

Oh well learn from my experience and save some money if you are also planning to purchase a new battery.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, November 2, 2011
I purchased this battery about 1 month ago. I decided to buy the battery made by apple instead of the imitation batteries I saw advertised on Amazon.

I am not very impressed with this battery. After receiving the battery, I followed the instructions on how to "condition" the battery before using; I drained the energy from the battery and then charged it for 12 hours before using.

Using CoconutBattery, after one week I could see that the battery is only using 85% of its capacity. After one month, or 22 charge cycles, I can see that the battery is only using 75% of its capacity. I get about an hour and a half from it after a full charge.

The thing that was discouraging from the start was the packaging of the battery. I don't get the feeling that this is an actual Apple product. The packaging is simply a small brown box with some padding in it. There wasn't any literature that looked like the battery came from Apple. The battery only came with a sales receipt and a sheet of paper explaining how to take care of the battery.

If this is an outsourced product, it would explain the packaging. But I can't imagine that Apple would take so much time developing its company image and then have such low standards on outsourced products. My feeling is that this is not an Apple product; that this is only an imitation battery labeled as an original Apple product, and sold as an original by the distributor. Please correct me if I am wrong!!!!

If this is a fake, it should be priced about $50 and not at $100. If it is not a fake, Apple should REALLY look into improving the batteries for their next line of laptops, and including a certificate verifying it is an actual Apple product.

The good side of this battery, it fits perfectly! No jiggling, and it doesnt stick out from the bottom.

All this being said, a battery is a battery and I don't expect this battery to last a life time. If it holds at 75% of its capacity for awhile, I will be happy. If it doesnt, I will buy the absolute cheapest-offcolor-stick out of the bottom-imitation battery next time and Apple will be out $100.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, October 17, 2009
Kevin Savetz (Blue Lake, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this battery about a year ago, to replace the original battery in my 15" MacBook Pro. It works perfectly with my Mac, fits just right, etc. But you gotta understand that these batteries don't last forever. I use my laptop on battery power every day, and after 11 months I'm starting to get annoyed with the briefness of the battery life, relative to what it originally was. Today the battery goes maybe an hour and a half or two hours before I get the Low Battery warning. Snow Leopard is warning me to "Replace Battery Soon". But that's the nature of the beast, and you need to accept it until someone comes out with a better rechargeable battery technology.

Apple menu->About this Mac->More Info->Hardware->Power will tell you about the health of your current battery. Look in the "Health Information" section. Cycle Count is the number of time it has been discharged and recharged (the cycle count on my nearing-end-of-life battery is 378. According to Apple ([...]), a properly maintained Apple notebook battery is designed to retain up to 80 percent of its original capacity after 300 full charge and discharge cycles.

So think of your battery as cheapish way to extend the life of your MacBook for a year, not forever. In another year or 1.5, you'll probably need another.