Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

TOP 50 REVIEWERon March 19, 2009
This is my third aluminum keyboard. The first was the wired with numeric keypad, and second the Bluetooth version.

This keyboard is smaller and lighter than the Bluetooth version because there's no battery compartment.

There are two USB2 ports underneath by the sides. To power electronic devices (e.g. cameras, iPod), it has to be plugged into a self-powered USB2 port. In case you don't know, not all USB ports on Macs are self-powered.

I like the tactile feel of the keys. Typing is faster compared to the previous white plastic keyboards. The very minor issue is sometimes I mis-type letters because my fingers hit the keys nearby -- these keys are flat and not indented to prevent slips.

The layout of the keys are exactly the same as those on the portable Macbooks. If you're a new user, you'll get used to it after sometime.

There are people complaining about the lack of numeric keypad for reasons I don't know. I don't think they have Macbooks or even PC portables because I don't hear a lot of complaints from laptop users about the lack of numeric keypad. Additionally, if you want the numeric keypad, you have that option.

This keyboard can also be used in a Windows OS environment. You have to read support documents on Apple's website for specific requirements, e.g. how to map the buttons and stuff like that.

Conclusion: This keyboard is really for Mac users whose computers have no Bluetooth, and who value table space very much (or need those extra USB2 ports).

------------

My Bluetooth keyboard had some issues so I had to use the wired version. Table space is my main priority. I bought this keyboard to replace my other wired keyboard, which still functioning perfectly well.

This keyboard is also extremely easy to clean. No more worries of things like hair, bread crumbs falling between the keys. When the keys turn yellow, just use a wet tissue to wipe and it looks brand new again.
review image review image
on December 3, 2010
Sadly, Apple has discontinued this keyboard. It has disappeared from their online store. Too bad, I really like a compact keyboard, so I can reach for the mouse more readily, and save on desk space. This was by far the best compact keyboard for Macs, so I'm buying a few now while I still can. My experience with third-party keyboards has been pretty disappointing.
on April 9, 2009
This keyboard is replacing a Microsoft Wireless keyboard.

My goals for the keyboard were: 1. save desk space (keyboard drawer) and 2. Have a wired keyboard that doesn't need batteries.

I'm very surprised by how small the keyboard is. Make no mistake: the keys are full-sized. It's exactly the same size and layout of the keyboard on my MacBook Pro, which is convenient.

I do not miss the media keys from the Microsoft keyboard, nor the numeric keypad (used, but never by need).

The keyboard is extremely solid -- there is no bounce or play from pressing down hard. This wonderful and makes typing very easy.

The noise is acceptably quiet. It's not silent, nor does it click annoyingly. Some of the bigger keys do make more noise (such as the delete key), but not so much that it matters.

The only thing I really miss from it is back lighting. I wish it had that as I've come to enjoy it on the built-in keyboard.

Highly recommended as a keyboard attached to a MacBook -- or for any machine where desk space is important.
on July 23, 2014
I was lucky enough to get this for a good deal (used of course). I don't like wireless keyboards because I use a hackintosh and booting into Windows or Mavericks requires a wired keyboard. Other than that, I enjoy small keyboards because I like to keep my desk spacious and I don't see the need for a number pad. Keys feel good and the aluminum build is something I deeply love.
on December 2, 2010
After having used wireless keyboards for years now and still have some, I went back to wired keyboards. They are more reliable. Shaking the bluetooth keyboard for example can lead to dropped connections. Batteries run out.By Murphys law, these things always happen in the worst moment and no spare batteries are around. The wired keyboard is not only more reliable and lighter, it also has two USB ports. This comes often handy especially if the computer is stowed away under the desk. An other advantage is that I use this keyboard now also for my linux boxes. For the paranoid, there is an additional advantage of wired keyboards is more security. I only wonder why apple does not offer the keyboard any more on their store. I hope it is not a sign that it will no more be produced.
on October 23, 2013
The metal construction and rubber feet give this keyboard a solid feel on the desktop. The keys move solidly with a positive, tactile feel, no wobble, and with no mechanically noisy clicking sound. The wired connection means no more dead batteries and no out of range issues. It also allows the Bluetooth to be turned off in the computer, allowing one more notch of privacy.
on March 4, 2011
Most people fuss over not being able to have the extended number keys on their keyboards. This wired keyboard is fantastic because it works well with a Wacom tablet or a big mouse pad. And the wired aspect allows me to not have to worry about running out of batteries; it also allows me to hook up a mouse to the keyboard. I'm very happy to be able to get another after Apple discontinued it.
on April 16, 2009
When I first saw the short keyboard, I thought that I would hate it. However, a couple of weeks later when i needed to buy another keyboard, I decided to get the smaller one. It's especially useful for right handed people when using applications that require alot of mouse and keyboard usage. Now my right hand only has to travel 6 inches to get to the mouse, instead of 12.

They keyboard itself is pleasant to type on and quiet. No complaints.

However, the USB ports are essentially useless for anything other than a mouse (when plugged into my macbook). I tried to plug in a sandisk flash drive, and got a low power notice. This is a real hassle. But considering this is a keyboard first, and at least the mouse works, I've swallowed that deficiency for the other pros listed above.
on June 23, 2014
This is a durable, compact, great keyboard that saves space on the desk (does anyone use the number keypad outside of as a POS terminal these days????). Can't beat it. Bit more pricey, but worth it.
on December 29, 2009
I've bought and tried a variety of compact keyboards, including the Fujitsu Happy Hacker Lite 2, Adesso, and other random ones found at Fry's. My interest in compact keyboards is the lack of the keypad, etc., which are wasted space and push the mouse needlessly far to the right. The Apple Keyboard is the best I've found so far. It's small, very thin and light, but has full width keys. Key action is positive, but light. Construction is solid, perhaps due to using an eighth inch aluminum faceplate. Noise is much less than the Fujitsu, which is solidly built but has an irritating and faulty modal system of caps locking activated through a function key.

I'm using these with Windows and FreeBSD (Unix), and most of the keys are in standard IBM PC locations. The only key obviously missing is Insert. Delete, Return, tab, Esc, capslock all work as expected and are in standard locations. I am not using any drivers or special mappings in Windows; just plugged it in. The Option key performs the Alt function in Windows and Unix. Shift keys are large. The control key is second from the left lower corner since the function key is in the lower left. That's about the main weakness, as control is more useful than function for me. A full width control key would have been more useful. I don't use the function key. The upper right power key also has no use for me. A mapping that converts the power to insert and the function to control may help, but even without those, the keyboard is fully functional for me, works well, is comfortable to use, very conservative of desk space, etc. The top row of "F" keys and escape are half height, which saves a little space, but a full height escape key in particular would be welcomed for Unix.

If the Apple Keyboard is as durable as it appears to be, this may be a permanent solution to my keyboard needs. The spartan design and careful implementation are very nice. A downside is that it's a bit pricey at about [...] bucks, but if it lasts and it works well, then it may be worth it.

Update: The control and alt/option keys are too small. For Windows and Unix use, the function and command keys are not useful. Mapping the latter to the former (using software) could be useful.