5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for my needs
purchased this shortly before traveling to Ireland, and found it very handy to use. and yes, you don't need an additional voltage converter with this to charge your iphone or ipad. i called apple and was not able to confirm this, but the kind folks at my local apple store did confirm it for me.
Published 14 months ago by Kathleen A. Gomperts

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps not the best option, for some
Published on May 18, 2010 by Jonathan Evatt

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps not the best option, for some, May 18, 2010
This review is from: Apple MB974ZM/B World Travel Adapter Kit (Electronics)
I think the price Apple charges for this kit is expensive, but I think that applies to all Apple products, so many Apple product users may not consider that an issue (as we were willing to buy the product in the first place, right?). What I think adds to that issue is that many people may only want one adapter for one region they are travelling to. Apple does not provide an option for this, and this kit may then be overkill as a solution.

The other issue I have with this kit is that it forces you to use the full power adapter directly in the socket. This can be a major inconvenience if sockets and socket space is limited. It is for this reason that for people planning to travel to multiple regions with different plug types I suggest you consider buying Incipio Technologies TK-201 The Continental Companion Cables International Adapters for Apple Block Chargers. This gives you plugs for all regions and has thin, compact cables between the adapter and the plug. This means you can take up just one socket. I think this is important when travelling as one rarely knows what the socket situation will be in hotels, friends homes, airports, cafés, etc.. In public places especially, I have found socket space is often limited (usually by other people using them).

If you need a USB power adapter for your Apple device there are many inexpensive options available. This one (USB/AC for MP3 Players - White) for instance is very inexpensive ($2.70 as I write this) and has great ratings. This kit (Apple iPod USB Travel Kit with Car Charger/ Travel Adapter/ Cable - White) is also very cheap (a few dollars), has Amazon Prime, and includes what you may find useful for keeping your USB charged devices ready to go. As far as I can tell from the photo its upports 110 to 240 v.

I was not able to determine, however, if the USB/AC charger supports 110 to 240 volt power. This USB charger does though - Universal USB Wall Charger for Apple Ipod Mp3 Shuffle Nano Video Touch Classic Iphone.

My other tip is this:
If you are planning to just travel to one location needing a different plug type, I suggest just buying a pin adapter. I use them all the time. One like this would do the trick nicely (also has Amazon Prime option).

UPDATE (Nov 2010): I notice that the Incipio Technologies TK-201 kit I recommended as an alternative to this one is currently (and often) not available here on Amazon. You can get it elsewhere on the net (you'll just have to search for it). Another option, however, is to simply get a compact pin adpater kit. One that is small and very inexpensive is Lenmar AC5 World Travel Adapter Plug Set. That way you take your existing plugs and things with you, and the pin adapter(s) for the countries you plan to visit. This is a perfectly viable option, because all your Apple power adapters (for iphone, ipod, macbook, etc.) will support 110 to 250v, so it is really just the pins you are needing to adapt.

UPDATE ( Aug 2012): It appears Incipio has ceased making the product I recommended. Sorry to see that. So my recommendation sits with a World Travel Adapter plug, such as the Lenmar one mentioned in my 2010 update above.

I trust this has been of help to you.

- Jonathan
International IT consultant for over 24 years, Author, Lecturer

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for my needs, July 22, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Made but Pricey Set of Power Connectors, March 15, 2010
This review is from: Apple MB974ZM/B World Travel Adapter Kit (Electronics)
I purchased this for use with my wife's iPhone and iPod Touch while in China. I somewhat regret this as she will be using only 2 of the included plugs i.e., China and the United States.

The plugs themselves are of impeccable quality, and appear to conform to Apple's usual high standards. This does count for something as you can often get what you pay for. However, I would recommend that only people with unusually diverse itineraries purchase this kit and instead get a general purpose adaptor for the countries you actually intend to visit as that will be much cheaper.

Things I wish were true: I wish an airplane adaptor was included. I wish the individual plugs had their countries stamped upon them instead of having to look them up in the manual--some plugs are quite similar; the Chinese plug looks identical to the U.S. plug except for round holes cut out of the prongs of the U.S. plug. I wish it were cheaper.

I don't believe the included power block will work with an iPad. An iPad has at least twice the power requirements of an iPhone. I had a short discussion at the local Genius Bar and the Genius told me that the connectors would work with the high capacity power block which ships with an iPad.

Amazon makes a competing product which also contains an auto charger, the AmazonBasics Travel Adapter Kit for iPod; iPhone 3G; iPhone 3GS; iPhone 4 for about the same price. I have both, and I recommend the Apple product because of the flexibility of using the plug modules with different Apple power supplies, from MacBooks to the 2.1 Amp power supply of an iPad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with iPhone 5 as well, January 23, 2014
This review is from: Apple MB974ZM/B World Travel Adapter Kit (Electronics)
This works exactly as described, and I wanted to verify that you CAN use this with iPhone 5 if you just connect your own lightening cable. But, you do need your own lightening to USB cable, because this only comes with the 30 pin. I used this in Argentina with my iPhone 5, and it worked just like it was supposed to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Adapter Kit!, August 30, 2013
This review is from: Apple MB974ZM/B World Travel Adapter Kit (Electronics)
Took this kit with me to England and Germany along with my iPad. Each country needed a different adapter. Both were in the kit and I was able to use my iPad during the entire trip without a hitch. If you have an Apple product you are taking overseas then this is the kit to have with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked perfectly in Israel, August 27, 2013
This review is from: Apple MB974ZM/B World Travel Adapter Kit (Electronics)
The adapters worked perfectly in Israel. With the Apple products no step down converters were required. I would highly recommend this product. There may be less expensive alternatives, but these were top notch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price, December 15, 2011
This review is from: Apple MB974ZM/B World Travel Adapter Kit (Electronics)
Borrowed from a friend while on a trip to china. I did have adapters but was a little hesitant to use on my iphone our friend offered to let us borrow it if we needed to, since it was apple I figured I could not go wrong, found myself borrowing it a couple of times. Liked it so decided to order my own - a little high on price compared to some of the others on the market, but when you pay $$ for your electronics (iPhone,iPad) it's not worth the risk using others just to save a few dollars. Like other reviews it would be nice if they were labeled, but not a deal breaker. Looking forward to using on our next trip Asia in 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for apple products, July 2, 2013
Kimberly "Kimberly" (Upland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple MB974ZM/B World Travel Adapter Kit (Electronics)
We are traveling through UK, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and France, and so far this adapter has worked perfectly for our ipod5s, ipad, and notebook pros. If you buy an apple product, you can expect high quality. This is certainly no exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap, but well built, March 15, 2010
This review is from: Apple MB974ZM/B World Travel Adapter Kit (Electronics)
Although these adapters are pricier than just buying a $3-$10 generic adapter, it was nice knowing that these adapters were not going to fall off of my macbook charger. It was also nice having the USB plug that I could also connect by using the proper adapter, which is far more convenient than having to plug in my laptop so that it doesn't discharge while charging my iphone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but well made Apple adapter kit, January 1, 2014
This review is from: Apple MB974ZM/B World Travel Adapter Kit (Electronics)
We purchased this world travel adapter kit when we moved from the US over to Europe. When moving to Europe we knew that we wanted to travel quite a bit in the years we were living there including to Asia and many other destinations. As such, this kit, although pricey compared to just buying individual adapters or some other combination adapter, was the choice we made.

So why this kit versus purchasing the cheaper individual adapters (you can pick them up $5 or under usually in airports) or some multi-combination adapter plug? Apple designs a streamlined product which works very well with other Apple products. The adapters are essentially small plug fittings which easily and seamlessly slide onto a plug fitting which connects to your iphone or ipad. It is clean and once you change out the plug fitting, you would have no idea that this wasn't an original plug for that given region. The cheap individual adapters are bulky and I always fear with how cheap they are if they will really work. The multi-adapter combination plugs they sell are also too bulky. These are the type that you get in a block and just rotate of click to change the plug type. Not quite as portable as just choosing the plug fitting for the regions you would be traveling too.

The plug fittings themselves do not step up or down your voltage in any way. Apple products are already designed to convert the power this way for you once you plug in any adapter to the wall as are most higher end electronic devices.

One huge improvement would be if the region name could be indicated on the plugs. They do include a manual with each country corresponding to each plug fitting or you can search online, but it would be alot easier to just pick up the plug fitting and look at it to make your determination as to which one is correct.

Overall, I have used this with my iPhone, iPad 1, 2 and iPad mini whenever I travel and have found it very useful. The price is high, but the quality is also high. I would recommend this over other solutions.

Apple MB974ZM/B World Travel Adapter Kit