4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey, Elegant, Energy Efficient Charger
I'm going to compare this charger to the less expensive Sanyo Eneloop 2 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries w/ Charger which I've also purchased. The Apple charger comes with 4 more batteries, so the total cost of the Sanyo system with 6 batteries is about a third less than the Apple charger.

I've read on Engadget that the batteries are the same,...
Published on August 20, 2010 by Glenn R. Howes

It looks good, it's small, and uses Apple's interchangeable connector module.

Published 15 months ago by dantelectro

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey, Elegant, Energy Efficient Charger, August 20, 2010
This review is from: Apple Battery Charger (Personal Computers)

I've read on Engadget that the batteries are the same, just with different labels. Apple is not in the business of designing and manufacturing AA batteries, they have someone else do it for them to their specifications. So the difference is in the charger.

The Apple charger is outwardly much nicer looking--it is an Apple product after all--and more importantly much less bulky. The Sanyo charger takes up a lot of room and will not fit nicely on a power strip. The Apple charger has the added bonus of using a standard Apple plug module, so I could attach a long cord or an international plug should I go outside the United States. It is a simple and elegant object.

As for gains in power efficiency. I do not believe the Sanyo charger is particularly inefficient. I've attached it to my Kill-A-Watt and once the battery is charged, the device shuts off its light--just like the Apple charger--and goes into a mode which uses so little energy my reader displays it as zero Watts. The Apple charger might well use less, it's just such a small amount you are unlikely to notice; it would certainly take a long time to make up the cost difference.

Be warned that because of the chemistry of NiMH batteries, these are not 1.5V batteries and will never appear to be 100% charged in the OS X Bluetooth menu. They aren't defective, just different from non-rechargeable batteries. Also, when you first get your Apple charger, 2 of the batteries ship inside the charger; take them out and make sure they are properly oriented before attempting to top them off.

So, I would say this is a hard call. The Apple charger is smaller, matches my other Apple gear, has a more flexible plug, and if need be, could be serviced at your local Genius Bar; whereas if the Sanyo failed, I'd probably toss it. On the other hand it is noticeably more expensive. Either way, it's great to use rechargeable batteries on my cordless desktop devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great design and performance!, June 18, 2011
T. Tom (SF Bay Area, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 4:21 Mins

Please watch my video review where I demonstrate this product as well as compare it to the Sanyo Eneloop charger.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it for the charger., August 24, 2010
This review is from: Apple Battery Charger (Personal Computers)
Non-Apple battery chargers will cost you less. But none of them are as compact as the Apple one. Besides, who can resist a $29 Apple gizmo? Read on for more details on why I replaced my battery charger with the Apple one.

I already had a bunch of rechargeable batteries which I charged using the loud clunky Duracell charger that came with the Duracell kit. The Duracell charger makes a loud fan noise while charging and the power brick is as large as the charger. My plan was to charge a bunch of batteries and have them ready to go. But for some reason unless the batteries have just been charged they always show about a 60% charge after they sit around. The way my Apple Magic Mouse goes through batteries I needed some rechargeable batteries ready to go but I didn't want the Duracell clunker sitting around my desk. So now I have a nice looking little Apple battery charger. Yeah.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Tiny charger, September 6, 2010
This review is from: Apple Battery Charger (Personal Computers)
the real advantage for Apple batteries is charger (for travel), otherwise Eneloop from Sanyo is best for price. I got Eneloop from Costco for $26, pack of 8 AA and 4 it includes charger and C/D covers to use these on those devices works great on toys.

I am using Apple batteries with IMAC's mouse, KB and Trackpad, so far so good. I have to see if it really last as Apple says.

My Eneloops are more than a year old and working great, all other Rechargeable batteris (3-4 years old are garbage in comparison to these new rechargeable, I need to recycle them).

If you need it for travel Apple batteries are great, price is fair for 6 pack and tiny charger (real plus point).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for not wasting energy, December 2, 2010
This review is from: Apple Battery Charger (Personal Computers)
If you're like me and have a few items that use up batteries fairly often, this is perfect for you. It'll charge batteries until they're full and then essentially shut off to minimize vampire draw thus saving you some money. There's a light on the charger that tells you the status, e.g. charging, full, or not on. The charger also has a magnet on it to ensure the batteries are properly seated for charging. The batteries are supposedly re-branded Eneloop NiMH batteries (includes 6 of them), that allow for a lot more charge and discharge cycles, increasing their life. I've got 1 pair in my Apple wireless keyboard, 1 pair in my Magic Mouse, and another in the charger in case one of the other two need to be replaced. They seem to last a long time as I haven't replaced my keyboard or mouse batteries since buying this in September 2010 and they're still showing about 40%.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice addition!, April 22, 2012
This review is from: Apple Battery Charger (Personal Computers)
Honestly, at first I wasn't convinced by the Apple charger. I had seen it in the Mac store nearby several times, and couldn't really figure out why you would want to even bother. Well, about a year ago this was bought for me as a gift, and since then I have been enjoying well-charged, long-lasting battery power!

PROS
- Sleek Apple design
- Comes with 6 batteries (more than enough!)
- Chargers quickly and efficiently
- Batteries hold charge well, both during use and over time
- Detachable adapter is the same as laptop charger

CONS
- Premium price

OVERALL
Honestly, I'm finding a recommendation a little difficult to word. There is no doubt that this is a quality charger, and the batteries are excellent - if the price isn't a factor for you then you will not be disappointed! It's a handy thing to have on hand, and since I only use it for mouse batteries I always have plenty to spare. If you're not an Apple fanatic and you don't need every peripheral branded, then there are better (more capacious and cheaper) chargers out there. I'm very happy that I got this as a gift, it has worked wonderfully so far, I'm just not sure I would go out and buy this for myself again if it ever dies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rebranded Sanyo Eneloop batteries, April 18, 2012
This review is from: Apple Battery Charger (Personal Computers)
These are rebranded Sanyo Eneloop batteries. Check out reviews for Eneloop batteries as well as these reviews.

[...]

You do realize that Apple doesn't manufacture its own batteries, right? Apple, like most consumer electronics companies, doesn't actually make anything. So where do Apple's new AA rechargeable NiMH batteries comes from then? We had a suspicion early on that Apple's "new" AAs were actually Eneloops, long one of our favorite brands of modern rechargeables due to their ability to maintain a 75% charge even after three years inside the kitchen utility drawer. Now our Czech friends over at Superapple seem to have confirmed this after an exhaustive teardown and analysis of Apple's little power cells. Specifically, Apple's AA batteries appear to be none other than the 1.2V Sanyo Eneloop HR-3UTG rated at 1,900mAh (minimum). While Superapple couldn't find any physical evidence linking the two, the measured performance characteristics of Apple's AA batteries matched the Eneloops perfectly. Knowing this, are you really going to spend $29 for the Apple charger and 6x AA batteries when you get 8x AA Eneloops and charger for the same price? Now mosey on past the break if you want to see a AA unrolled. Fascinating stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality · Great Design · Nice · Saver and very CHEAP!, October 16, 2013
This review is from: Apple Battery Charger (Personal Computers)
These batteries are great for use, both keyboard and mouse Mac, and also in cameras and many more things, the charge of the battery is long lasting, is economical, comes with 6 batteries recargagles, beautiful compact design, with purchase product get huge savings by not having to buy normal batteries, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, April 19, 2013
This review is from: Apple Battery Charger (Personal Computers)
Like all apple products this is a great product. The batteries already come charged so you can use them right away!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pros: look, small. Cons: overpriced, questionable reliability, April 13, 2013
This review is from: Apple Battery Charger (Personal Computers)
It looks good, it's small, and uses Apple's interchangeable connector module.

The charger curiously started acting up right one year after purchase when the warranty expired. Often it's very hard to get it to charge the batteries, the amber light is flashing and i need to remove and reinsert the batteries and also the charger a dozen times to get them working. This hasn't happened in the first year, and I'm using it the same way. The same batteries work flawlessly in the Magic Mouse.

They last 17 days in the Magic Mouse with around 10 hours of daily usage (tested for one year).

Tip: I also numbered the batteries into pairs to be able to utilize them evenly.

Apple Battery Charger