2,275 Reviews
 (1,565)

5,982 of 6,321 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars The Lines Between iPod Touch and iPhone Have Started to Blur
Having had a chance to spend a little time with a review model gives me a chance to share the experience with you a bit early (before my own arrives). I'll take you hands-on with the new model, plus I'll share from my past two years of iPod touch ownership altogether, especially for those who haven't yet owned (or been owned by) one of these mobile gems.

I've...
Published on September 7, 2010 by Scott Showalter

1,781 of 2,042 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Great display but terrible rear camera
My wife and I have the 3rd generation iPod Touch and are very happy with them. The one thing that I have been missing/wanting is having a built in camera. I recently saw the photos taken by a friend's iPhone and was blown away by how good they were. Almost all reviews have said the iPhone built in 5MP camera is excellent. Like many others I watched Steve Jobs present the...
Published on September 1, 2010 by J. Austin

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Good Upgrade From The 3rd Generation, September 20, 2010
This review is from: Apple iPod touch 32GB Black MC544L/A (4th Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Unlike many of the early reviews on the 4th Generation iPod Touch, I am reviewing from an owners point of view, as I've had my new Touch for approximately 1 week. Coming from the 3rd Generation, I've got to say it's well worth the upgrade.

The video camera takes fantastic videos. Transferring the videos from the phone to the computer is a breeze, and the video looks OUTSTANDING. I compare the video picture to that of the Creative Vado HD, which I also own, and I say that the picture from the iTouch is better than that of the Vado. Both shoot video in 720p.

Many people have also complained about the camera's .7MP lens, and unless you're blowing up your pictures and printing them off, I think the picture quality if pretty good. When pictures are transferred to your computer, they look good. They don't look as good as pictures taken with my Canon DSLR T1i, but they are almost as good as my wife's iPhone 4g camera pictures. I fact, I can hardly tell the difference when 2 of the same pictures are taken and both transferred to the computer. However, it might be a little different if I had the pictures printed. The iPhone picture quality would probably be better. But just loaded on the computer, I really can't tell that much of a difference.

Retina Display is fantastic if you compare this version Touch to the previous generation. The Retina Display on the iPhone 4g does seem to be a bit better, but I'm really not complaining because I'm not going to be comparing my Touch to the iPhone on a frequent basis.

In conclusion, I think this generation iPod Touch is a WINNER and certainly worth a 5 star review given everything that it does. Sure, it would be great if 3g was added for more versatile internet connections, and a better camera would really be nice. But for what this iPod Touch has to offer, it offers it well, and certainly worthy of 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars If it ain't the real deal, it'll do til the real deal gets here., November 23, 2010
First off, let me say that I still haven't gotten over the fact that I now have in my pocket a device that is so much more capable and powerful than the home computer I grew up with. Really it's almost misleading calling this thing an iPod because it does so much more than play music. This is a pocket computer and a mighty fine one at that.

Apple gets a lot of things right here. I'm blown away by its quickness. By the time you've gotten it out of sleep mode, it's already connected to wifi ready to go. It's unbelievably intuitive navigating around in and out of different apps. And these apps! I know it's their seemingly lame marketing slogan, but there really is an app for just about everything and a good chunk of them are free.

I'm also impressed with the games it has. Thus far I've purchased Angry Birds, Cut The Rope and Baseball Superstars, all superb games. If I had bought these on the DS, I would've spent anywhere from $60-$105. On the iPod, I spent $5. And these games are better than a lot of stuff on the DS. If only Nintendo made games for the iPod...

I think the hardware is also really solid. The retina display is as good as advertised. The small screen on the iPod is less of an issue because everything is so sharp. Reading text has yet to present a problem for me. Sure, it has a somewhat narrow viewing angle, but I only notice it when I'm looking for it. The camera is also better than some reviews on here would have you believe. I haven't taken any stills yet, but the video camera is more than serviceable. Battery life is also pretty good, if you're smart about it. I always turn my wifi off when I'm not using it and close out of apps when I'm done with them. I've been averaging about 10 hours per charge.

The only problem I have with the iPod Touch is that it relies a little too much on a computer. Yesterday I upgraded to iOS 4.2 and I had to connect the iPod to iTunes in order to do so. It would be so much nicer and easier to just download the update directly to the iPod and not have to deal with a computer at all. Also, I have a season pass for The Walking Dead and I can't just get the episodes directly to my iPod, I have to connect to iTunes. Annoying. I know the device has been making progress in being a stand alone device, but there's definitely still room for improvement.

In short, the iPod Touch is a magical device. I'm sure when I can afford the monthly charges for an iPhone or a Droid this device will be somewhat redundant, but until then, I can't imagine being without it.

EDIT 9/5/12: Just a couple additional notes. iOS 5 fixed my one big problem I had with the iPod Touch and made it a very standalone device. It's been as great as I figured I thought it would. In all, the iPod Touch has been my constant companion for almost two years now, as I thought it would be. But if you're in the market, just wait for the iPod Touch 5. It's long overdue for an update.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great replacement to another great item, November 24, 2010
Right when the ipod touch first came out, I bought one. It was a great device, and held up very well, but it eventually died from being taken apart so many times, dropped so many times, etc. After about 1 month of no ipod, I realized I needed to get a new one. So I held out until the 4th gen came out, because I wanted the A4 chip and the camera.

Music: it's an ipod, next to Zune, it's one of the best!

Video: One of the best portable video devices in my opinion.

Camera: well, it's not the best. Of course Apple wouldn't put in the best camera in the first generation to have a camera. It is very good quality for the thinness of the mp4 player. Even though the rear facing camera is only .9 MP, it takes very decent shots. Even if you don't have the most steady of hands, you can still take a good picture with the ipod. The only downfall is that lighting can be an issue (but bad coloring can easily be fixed with one of the many apps or even with photoshop on the computer. The video quality is great for the device! You may be wondering why the videos can be good, but pictures aren't; basically, consider the pictures to be single clips from a video. When the clips flow together, it's beautiful, but when it's just one, it may not be the best.
If you want to take professional shots, don't buy this for the camera. But if you want to have a good camera for quick pics, and upload them to facebook, this camera will work fine for you. The images are great quality on the ipod screen, blown up to a computer monitor, they are a bit grainy. But facebook sizes them at a happy medium.

FaceTime: An awesome feature and a hug selling feature of the 4th gen. But it's not something you'll use every day. I've had a few FaceTime calls, and while they are very good quality, it's just as easy for me to open up skype on the computer and call someone. BUT, having a front facing camera is very nice. Especially if you want to take a picture with all your friends.

A4: the A4 chip is the same thing that's in the iphone 4. Extremely fast!!!! I've come from a 1st gen ipod touch (which was still running 3.2.3). Switching to an A4 chip running 4.1 was a night and day difference. Apps load really fast, and web browsing is very good for a mobile device.

Retina Display: the quality of the screen is amazing. Very sharp images, bold colors, and easy to look at for long periods of time.

Design: I personally like having the lock button on the top right (not the top left as it used to be). The dimensions of the 4th gen are different from past models. It's a little taller, a little narrower, a little thinner. In other words, it's great to hold but don't expect your old case to fit it. They have also made the volume buttons independent (the 2nd and 3rd gen had a single toggle button for volume).

Of course, the apps won't disappoint you. And all the features you get out of the box are more than enough to make the device worth it.

Over all, if you're in the market for an MP4 player, this is the way to go. If you want a gaming device with mobile e-mail, this is the way to go. If you want a quick shot pocket camera, there are better options, but you won't regret this purchase (not with all the others stuff you get with it!!!)

I bought the 32gig. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller. My previous ipod was an 8gig, and I filled that up very quickly. 32gigs actually gives you 27gigs of free space. When you add in music, movies, pictures, all the apps, and don't forget having free space for pictures and videos you take, it all adds up very fast. I would highly recommend buying through Amazon. It saves you $10-$20 compared to in stores, and the only thing you'll get out of buying from Apple, is the ability to have your name or what ever on the back. Personally, I would never do that again. It's a nice touch when it's a gift, but it makes resale nearly impossible. Let's face it, in 3 years, Apple will have a better device out and we'll all be selling out 4th gens. It's a modern piece of technology, so it won't last forever, so why spend extra to personalize it? Most people buy cases anyway, that's enough personalization for me. Might as well save yourself some money and buy on Amazon :)

4.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend this product!!!!!!!, April 24, 2011
I cannot say enough good things about this product.

It is like having an Ipad in your pocket, or an Iphone sans the phone

I know the above statements may sound radical but they are absolutely true. The Ipod touch, Iphone, and Ipad ALL use the same apps, so this device is really like carrying around a small ipad or an Iphone because it will do abything the other devices can do except make cell calls. You can make calls over the internet but the receiver must also be online at the same time.

The Ipod touch is almost as good as an Iphone. but free wifi hotspots are much easier to find.

Since I love this device why the four stars? two reasons.

1. I despise the Itunes software that you MUST download and install on your computer before you can do anything with this device. You plug this device into a computer's USB port and it does not even show up as a device, so this means that you cannot drag and drop the files you want on the device. When I told it to search the computer for MP3 files it dutifully displayed the collection of files in Miicrosoft media player. I have not been able to find a way to get Itunes to search another directory where I have more MP3s for meditation.

2. The second thing I do not like is the propriety shaped plug on the bottom of the device. I have failing eyesight and I am concerned I will ruin the plug of break the connecting card inside the device.

What can you do with it. well you can do almopst anything a computer can do except for write long E-Mails or reviews. The reason I say this if because the on screen keyboard is small so if you have large or clumsy fingers entering text will be a pain.

I have only had this device for 36 hours and here is what I have done with mine.

a. set it up with my secure Internet router

b. downloaded the Amazon kindle app and five books. This app works flawlessly

c. downloaded the Pay Pal app and can do electronic banking on this device that fits in my pocket.

d. downloaded several podcasts and listened to them.

e. placed about 6 gigs of MP3 music on the device.

f. downloaded MMA torch which offers reviews and schedules of MMA fights and fighters.

g. downloaded the Yahoo app do I can stay up to date with the other sports

h. Downloaded the TV Guide app so I can see what is on TV, and even have several reminders set to go off 10 minutes before the show begins.

i. downloaded an app that shows me news articles so I know what is going on around the world.

j. linked the mail program with my E-Mail account, and reading messages and deleting spam is a breeze. This means my PC will have a lot more time doing nothing. because just about everything I need except for a decent keyboard fits in my pocket

k. downloaded an app where I can check on the stock market in real time as if I were in a brokerage office.

k. downloaded Weatherbug app so I can check on the present conditions and the 10 day forecase.

l. plus it has a built in GPS with maps.

I only placed 6 of my 10 gigs of music on the device because I want to save room for podcasts and other apps I need.

I WISH Apple would completely re-write the ()^%* Itunes software and make the program much more intuitave, and put a USB plug on the Ipod touch. This would make the device much easier to use (especially for people with poor eyesight).

5.0 out of 5 stars First Apple product - blown away, April 23, 2011
Just to state from the outset, I'm writing from the perspective of someone who's never been into apple products. I didn't quite know what a Touch was, until I noticed some coworkers playing around with theirs. Before then, for all I knew, it was just one of the many types of Ipod's that Apple put out, such as Shuffle, Nano, etc. I figured Touch was just another music player. I might go as far as saying that this would probably be my second favorite electronics purchase so far ever (the first would be my gps - I know, seems crazy to say that, but I can't find my way out of a paper bag sometimes and my gps saves my very sanity at times).

Every aspect of the experience of using any Application on this Touch is just awe-inspiring. The quality of interaction between you and the software, the swiping, the pinching, the intuitiveness of most software written for the iPhone/Touch is brilliance.
If you're reading this as someone who really wants an Android handheld computer but can't find one w/o a phone (basically my perspective) and you are wondering whether you should "enter the apple world", I say, Make the move if this is going to be that Apple product. You can't lose.

(As a sidenote, though I tell myself it's going to be my only Apple purchase because I've been using Windows since the early 90's, so I'm a PC person, I'm becoming convinced (being a programmer) that I need to create software for this thing, so I may end up having to buy a Mac Mini at the very least, due to the requirements of the development tools for Touch/iPhone apps.)

If you are someone who doesn't like the idea of having to use iTunes, (I think it's fine, just upgrade your desktop h/w if it's slow for you) it's still worth it for the experience of making the Touch your mobile solution to music, productivity apps, games, and the Internet. (wow it's amazing to have such portable internet) I might sound a little overzealous, I'm realizing, now, because my last handheld computer was a Palm V (circa 1999), so maybe I'm in shock-mode from the difference, ... however, still.. This drastic jump for me in sophistication, does not take anything at all from my appraisal of the quality of this product.

Specific features/ways I'm benefitting from it:
- The standard way to use these, are to leave them in sleep mode, meaning.. it's just a button press, and a quick swipe, and I'm in my favorite GTD-style To-do app that I bought from the app store (2Do), checking today's tasks, or finding out if I need anything from a store I accidentally found myself at

- I can use any desktop at home or work to quickly enter a few or a bunch of tasks on a favorite online task manager, and I *don't have to* connect wires.. just do a wi-fi sync and I've got it all on the Touch

- For those few times I don't have wi-fi access, I converted some *.flv files that I created from Youtube vidoes, into mp4 format, and put them on the Touch (using a free tool you can find by searching) - You will probably prefer the Youtube App that plays it live directly from the Net of course.

- Audio or Video Podcasts (everything from technology, to philosophical/metaphysical, to other favorites) are so easily found and favorite-d from within iTunes .. and new podcasst episodes automatically get pushed to your Touch

- The Mail app that is standard on the Touch lets you configure your gmail, yahoo, and other accounts ..(add accounts in Settings first, by the way, then hit the Mail icon to get your mail)

- The facebook app that is free from app store (get the one that is officially from facebook, inc) works very nicely in compact format

- Almost forgot, the official Google app is one of my favorite free apps found on the app store..it gives you access map, searching, etc.. in compact mobile Touch format

- One of the great things about the Touch is the fact, that as one of primary Settings option in customizing it for you, it saves your current location, so you can use this as the "From" when using Google Maps, Google Places ( which I didn't know about until I started playing around it ..it's similar to that feature on some GPS's which searches for restaurants, hotels, etc. near you), and other Apps available on the App store which uses the location of your Touch as a starting point when searching

- It's kinda endless, I think I'll stop right about here.

It's safe to say, I am using my Acer netbook a lot less now

3.0 out of 5 stars You Must Use iTunes ALL TIMES! It has NO Graphical EQ!!, December 15, 2010
I love this device. Mine is 8GB version and still I haven't decided to keep it or return it. It's one of the best little machines I've ever seen. Screen quality (google its resolution, it's the best in the market), touch screen quality, processing speed are all among the best currently available.
I hate the software and all extremely limiting policies coming with it. You MUST use iTunes to get things done.
This is your first Apple product. You open the box. You enjoy the device. You turn it on. Nothing except a picture showing you must connect it to iTunes. You are confused and don't know what this exactly means. After all, you have never seen the adds talking about this issue. You google for the full manual. It clearly states: "to start using this device, you need to attach it to a computer and use iTunes". You have no iTunes. You need to download and install it. The download is a 70MB file. You think "ok no problem, I have so many crappy programs, let's install another one". You start iTunes and it says you are an alien to the "Mac Empire" and you need to identify yourself first to be allowed to use a $200 device. You are getting upset little by little. You say "ok no problem, I have so many accounts and emails that I never use, let's open another one". You start signing up for an iTune account, and ....JC it asks for your Credit Card information or alternatively you can set Apple as an authorized payee at your Paypal :) Now you are motionless...WTH? Fade out to blackness....
You come back. You have talked with friends. They are all happy members of "Mac Empire". Why not you?
(1. Yes there is No Graphic EQ to use with this MP3 Player!! If music matters for you, this is a big drawback. There are preset EQ's but no real music lovers ever intend to use them.)
(2. There are alternatives to iTunes. One is Sharepod BUT it doesn't work with 4th Gen Ipod touch. It is disgusting to work with file system on these devices. It is complete project to put a ebook on this thing if you want to read it with something other than iBooks. Apple's policy really stinks)
(3. And finally there is something in the market that may be an alternative. Archos 43 has a great screen (still not as good as this ipod) and it runs Android 2.2. You can basically do almost whatever you want on an Android tablet. It weighs 1 ounce heavier but has a 4.3" screen. For all people who are not attracted to Apple software/os policy, this may be an option.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Like iPhone, September 30, 2011
LOVE IT! I can download tons of apps, watch rented movies on an airplane, play games and use it as a phone when I have wifi connection. It works just like an iPhone when ever I have wifi connection minus the hefty monthly 3G fee. You can even get TomTom GPS attachment and use it in your car for directions.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ipod Touch 4th generation, May 4, 2011
So much hoopla and excellent reviews over these little machines for nothing. I know people are raving about it and can't wait to get one, just cannot figure out why. My mp3 player broke and I needed a replacement. Wanted the Zune as I am a musician and audio quality was the most important issue for me. Found they are not making any new ones and only updating to the new Windows7 phone.

As far as the ITouch 4, the display is very nice and looks pretty. An easy machine to navigate around. Internet access is fine, nice to get my mail now and then, and it has a couple of nice apps for music. Most apps are totally useless, a lot of nonsense games, and most apps are "I'm wasting my time" apps, at least that I have found. The "find a restaurant" app is good, there are several. Stanza is a good app if you want to read some ebooks and you can upload them from your calibre collection. It is not close to a kindle but will do in a pinch. You eyes do get tired from the contrast.

The absolute worse thing is the battery life, there is none. It does not even last a day!! This is unacceptable to me and I have no idea why people have not been screaming about it. They just accept it and shrug their shoulders. I spend more time charging the thing the using it. My little mp3 player from lasted a month. And I can tell you, as long as people accept this terrible situation, it will not change.

As far as the music, well...........if you are an audiophile forget it. I have tweaked and have the best ear buds and it is just barely acceptable. There are several cheaper little mp3 players that sound so much better. The external speakers are useless. So if you want this to listen to classical music, you best keep looking. Now that they are no longer making the Zune, it is a dilemma. Needless to say I was very disappointed.

So, now I have an expensive little mail getter and will look elsewhere for something to play my music.

Speaking of mail. If you set up a pop account you are okay, but if you have Gmail or yahoo or any of the other mail clients that uses imap, it will delete all your mail in your mailbox on your computer. I know, it deleted mine and you cannot get it back unless you forward it to a different address. It works fine with the pop mail addresses. So make sure you check it out.

so overall out of 10 at least in my opinion

ebook 6
internet 7

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing device, September 24, 2010
Hazel Green (In front of my computer) - See all my reviews
The iPod Touch is such a wonderful device that i am having a hard time finding any flaws to it.

Great screen, unbeatable resolution on such a tiny device.
The device itself is very minimalist and it's super thin. AND it's BEAUTIFUL.
New hardware revision made the bottom flat again, so there is no wobbling when you put it on a flat surface.
I used to own an ipad and i was surprised to find that most apps that i bought are universal apps that also works with the ipod touch.
Both the quality and quantity of the apps in the App Store are unbeatable.
It's great for streaming video, i use Air Video to stream my video on my desktop to the ipod touch, and the app even converts non-natively supported formats like mkv on the fly.

Overall, this is an amazing device that i will recommend to all my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome update from G3!, September 3, 2010
OK, folks, this will be my first Amazon review, though I've bought countless other things from the site. My 64GB G4 is on order, and I'll update my review after I've had some time to play with it.

Whereas I agree that the rear facing camera is not what I was expecting, I have to say that the overall improvements from the previous generation are spectacular!

I would rate the previous 32GB G3 Touch at 6 stars if I could. And here's why.

The screen is awesome.
Great battery life.
Barely noticeable in your pocket.
It's a book reader (get Stanza)
Surfs the internet
Hold my full CD Library (350 of `em)
Plays Movies
Does Email well.
Holds all of your family photos.
Reads PDF files.
Store and edit MS Office files with QuickOffice.
Does calendaring well.
Games are awesome.
Supports Telnet, RDP and VNC for my job.
Quick access to weather
Very nice Maps Calculator, Alarm Clock, et. al.

To me it seems to do just about everything!

Now comes the G4 Touch. What are you really getting with the upgrade? Well, from a hardware standpoint, I've noticed the following improvements from the G3 model....

I thought that 256MB Ram becomes 512MB, but Sysmon still reports that it has 256MB ((Rather 247MB)
ARM Cortex-A8 833 MHz (600MHz) CPU becomes 1GHz (800Mhz) with same GPU
L1 cache 64 KB (was 32KB)
480x320 screen becomes Retina 960x640
LED screen Lighting
Added 802.11n support
Gyroscope added
Front facing 640x480 camera added
Rear facing 1280x720 camera added (960x720 stills for 4:3 aspect)
Battery life increased by 33%
Microphone added
Photo exposure sensor added
Thickness reduced by 20% (1.6mm)
Weight reduced by 12% (14g)

To me, this is a rather impressive list of improvements on an already mind-numbingly cool product. Yeah, I wish the camera was 3+ Megapixels, but truthfully, I mostly just look that the photos that take, but rarely want to print them out anyway, so this is not a deal-breaker. With the G4, I'll now be able to add the following to my list of things that I can do with my iPod....

Record 720p video.
Make video calls (cool, but we'll see if I use it)
Edit my Video.
Take photographs.
Record audio without digging out my headphones. (Finally)
View photos and movies that look like photos, instead of pixels.
Use it longer before recharging.

In summary, I believe that an iPod touch is something you buy, love intensely for a year, then throw away in favor of the new model. (That is, if you can afford to do so). I'm upgrading my 32GB G3 to a 64GB G4 to hold more games and home movies, mainly. The Retina display alone would have been reason enough for me to upgrade. With the impressive list of upgrades above, it made the choice very easy for me.

I won't complain that the digital camera that's built into my high-def camcorder isn't as nice as it could have been. (But I won't begrudge anyone for doing so themselves -- this is a free country that we live in!)

ps. Maybe the G5 will have GPS.... It'd be nice to replace my Magellan and TomTom with and iPod.

*Update*
Now after having some time to play with the new iPod touch here is what I've found.

*The new form factor is very nice. Of course it's thinner, and the silver bezel around the screen is greatly reduced and it makes it look a much nicer. You do feel like you are holding and handling a redesigned and improved product.

*Surprisingly, it only has 256MB or RAM, or at least this is what the Sysmon app reports on the device.

*The Display is revolutionary. Being able to read that tiny tiny text is just amazing. Who would have thought that they could, or would, manufacture a screen that is so detailed! Photos now look like real photos! Games look wonderful and surfing is greatly enhanced by the new display. Movies look better too.

*The video cameras are a very nice addition. Tap on something on the screen to set the exposure. This sometimes works quite well, but don't expect great video in low light situations. Double tap the screen when in video mode on the back camera to change your video aspect from 4:3 to 16:9 and back.

*There is now an app button for Facetime, Camera and Game Center. I don't use the game center so I can't comment.

*The Photos app now has a camera roll where your photos and videos are saved.

*I've noticed that the device gets much warmer when you use it with the brightest screen settings.

*Overall performance is better than the 32GB G3 model. Noticably better but nothing earth shattering.

*Finally a microphone! I've taken my voice memos app out of hiding and actually intend to use it now.

*It is a bit louder than the previous model. Not much, but noticeably so.

Overall, I am very happy with my new iPod. The lack of more RAM and additional heat that it generates are the only issues that are noticable to me, and the redesign, screen and the cameras are what really help to set it apart from the previous models.

If you've never owned an iPod Touch before, now is the time to buy one. You are sure to fall in love with it. If you are thinking about upgrading to the new version, consider that the screen and the cameras are the standout new features. If you don't care so much about taking photos and video on you iPod, the retina display might just be enough to make you want to get the new model.