The sleek new Apple TV is small in size but big on entertainment. Rent from the largest selection of HD movies or rent TV shows in HD, commercial free. Stream directly from the huge catalog of Netflix titles. Watch your favorite YouTube videos. And enjoy music and photos from your home computer on your home theater system. All you need is a single HDMI cable to set it up.
Stream HD movies and TV shows from iTunes plus content from Netflix, YouTube, Flickr and MobileMe (see larger image
With the Apple TV, you can rent thousands of commercial free, high-definition TV episodes for just 99¢ per episode. Once you rent an episode, you have 30 days to press Play, then it's yours for the next 48 hours. You can also rent over 7,000 movies with over 3,400 available in HD--and most new releases are available the same day they're released on DVD. The Apple TV also connects to your home computer (either Mac or Windows PC), and you'll be able to stream all your purchased music, TV shows, movies as well as podcasts and photo slideshows from your computer directly to your HDTV via the Apple TV.
Featuring ultra-fast Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (as well as a wired Ethernet connection) and an internal power supply, and the Apple TV offers silent, cool, very low power operation in an enclosure that's less than four inches square--80 percent smaller than the previous generation. Control the Apple TV using the included seven-button aluminum Apple Remote, or use your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and the Remote app--a free download from the iTunes App Store.
Coming Soon: Airplay
With Airplay functionality, you'll be able to wirelessly stream music and video stored on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad to your HDTV via the Apple TV. Airplay will be available to mobile devices running the iOS 4.2 (to be released soon).
- All-new design that's small, quiet, and cool.
- Rent from the largest selection of HD movies.
- Rent commercial-free HD TV shows.
- Stream from the huge Netflix catalog of movies and TV shows (available to Netflix subscribers in the U.S.).
- Browse and play YouTube videos, watch HD podcasts, and listen to Internet radio.
- Access online Flickr photos and MobileMe galleries.
- Enjoy all the photos, music, and videos on your computer on the best TV and speakers in the house.
- Turn your photos into a stunning HD slideshow.
- Stream everything you watch over 802.11n Wi-Fi.
- Simple setup with a single HDMI cable for both audio and video.
Set-up is quick and easy with a single HDMI cable connection (see larger image
- System requirements:
- AirPort Extreme, Wi-Fi 802.11b, g, or n wireless network (wireless video streaming requires 802.11g or 802.11n) or 10/100BASE-T Ethernet network
- iTunes Store account for renting movies and TV shows
- Netflix account for streaming Netflix content
- For streaming media from a Mac or PC: iTunes 10 or later; iTunes Store account for Home Sharing
- Video formats:
- H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
- MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
- Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
- Audio formats:
- HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through
- TV compatibility: High-definition TVs with HDMI and capable of 720p 60/50Hz,2 including popular models from these manufacturers: Hitachi, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, NEC, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, Vizio, Westinghouse
- Wireless: 802.11n Wi-Fi (a/b/g compatible); 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
- Ports: 1 HDMI; 1 optical audio; 1 Fast Ethernet; IR receiver; microUSB (for service and support)
- Dimensions: 3.9-by-3.9-by-0.9-inches
- Weight: 0.6-pounds
- Power: Built-in 6-watt universal power supply
What's in the Box
Apple TV, aluminum Apple Remote, power cord, documentation
Optional Accessories and Related Products
Apple designs Apple TV and iTunes to work together in a completely integrated system. And only the AppleCare Protection Plan provides one-stop service and support from Apple experts, so most issues can be resolved in a single call. Extend the complimentary service and support on your Apple TV to two years from the original Apple TV purchase date. With the AppleCare Protection Plan for Apple TV, you can be sure that your entertainment will play on and on. That's because it covers both your Apple TV and iTunes--whether you use a Mac or a PC.
One stop for technical support
- Direct access to Apple experts
- Global repair coverage (subject to certain restrictions)
- Mail-in repair: Mail in your Apple TV using a prepaid shipping box provided by Apple2
- Carry-in repair: Take your Apple TV to an Apple Retail Store or other Apple Authorized Service Provider
- Use with a Mac or PC
Apple hardware coverage
- Your Apple TV
- AirPort Express Base Station, AirPort Extreme Base Station, or Time Capsule3
- Included Apple Remote and power cord
Software support included
- Connecting to AirPort networks
- Renting and buying shows from the iTunes Store
- Accessing photos on your computer