5.0 out of 5 stars Visually stunning and powerful
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:50 Mins
Published on December 21, 2012 by MexiCan

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't forget, Apple Care + USB Superdrive = $248
The recent iMac (late 2012) is something of a bold move for Apple. Dropping the internal optical drive and gluing the screen in place (as if it were an iPad) are not obvious changes , but you will notice them eventually.

I still have lots of CDs and DVDs. Not being able to use them directly in the 2012 iMac is an annoyance I could live without. Being required...
Published 22 months ago by Click

5.0 out of 5 stars Visually stunning and powerful, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Apple iMac MD095LL/A 27-Inch Desktop (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
Length:: 0:50 Mins

I ordered my 27 inch iMac, BTO 2.9 i5 w/ 1tb Fusion Drive, directly from Apple on 11/30/12 and received it on 12/17/12. Although I have only had the iMac for a short amount of time I am extremely impressed. It opens up photoshop CS6 so fast that I cannot read the credits and boots up in about 16 seconds, thanks to the Fusion drive. The 27 inch iMac also allows the ram to be upgraded very easily and I personally upgraded the ram to 24gb. As expected the design is visually stunning and thin, due to no built in optical drive. I did buy a external Apple SuperDrive and as a result I believe that the lack of a built in optical drive was worth it. The one draw back, due to the georgeous design, is learning how to stop staring at the iMac from the side. The iMac is also very quiet and does not even get warm to the touch. The new LCD screen is also a pleasure to look at. Reflections are no longer a problem and the image looks stunning.
FYI: On the 27 inch iMac the ram is easily upgraded by a rear pop out access door. If you decided to add two more ram sticks make sure you get oem comparable spec ram sticks, CL 11 PC12800s ddr3 1600 sodimm. Then simply install them into the two empty slots, 1 and 3. If you replace all the ram sticks be aware that slots 1/3 and 2/4 are paired slots.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is AMAZING!!, February 7, 2013
My 5 1/2 year old Dell PC finally bit the dust, and since my family all have Macs and rave about them, I thought I would take the plunge. Wow, am I glad I did! This thing is amazing. Gorgeous, sleek, fast, and did I say gorgeous? I bought the 27" 2.9GHz for $200 less because it was the model Amazon had in stock. I was a little afraid it would not be powerful enough for my needs, but it turns out it exceeds them. I am using it for amateur photography needs, and just basic home use and internet use. I bought an external "Apple SuperDrive" at $75, a pair of 8GB memory cards "Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Memory Modules For Mac CT2C8G3S160BM" at $85, and a "Seagate Backup Plus 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive for Mac" to back up my photos at $137. I also bought the $169 Apple warranty. Though I have been told Macs have a rep for not going bad, if they do, an Apple Tech told me the cheapest repair is $800. So, I got the warranty for peace of mind. Anyway, back on the performance of this Mac....it has more than exceeded my expectations...I am glad I saved $200 and got the 2.9 since that money helped pay for the other items.

Note that some bad reviews were over this super thin model not having a built in DVD/CD drive. What is the big deal? You can live without one, but if you do want it, just buy the Apple Super Drive for $75; it plugs into the back of the iMac via USB and is very thin and small. It sits on the iMac stand and is the same color as the stand, so just blends right in. Or if you prefer a blu-ray, there a black Samsung Bluray read/write external drive. So, adding an external player is NOT an issue. Actually, I think it is an advantage to have it as a peripheral, since dying DVD/CD drives have been an annoying problem in the past with PCs. With it being an inexpensive peripheral on this iMac, I can simply buy another down the road should it go out.

Note also that the 1TB internal Hard Drive and 8GB of memory should be PLENTY for almost all needs and I found the standard configuration to be very fast and efficient as shipped. I bought the external drive as added protection for my photos, and the extra memory because I use Photoshop and work with a lot of memory-sapping RAW images. But unless you are into photography or heavy graphics, I do not think these additions are necessary at all...and actually a waste of money.

You could just buy this iMac without warranty, external DVD drive, extra memory, external Hard Drive and save yourself almost $500. I guarantee you will be very happy with this awesome machine as shipped and you probably will not have need of the warranty in the first 3 years anyway. These tweeks depend on your point of view and your personal needs.

Overall, I could not be happier with this iMac and highly recommend it. The display is stunning and the machine is powerful and glitch free.

P.S.
I was hesitant to purchase this from Amazon vs directly from Apple (not sure why...I guess because Apple has traditionally been the exclusive seller of their products)...but had no problems or issues at all in doing so. It shipped via UPS with signature required....arrived in two days packed in a very heavy and form-fitting outer box. It's delivery was no different from my experience buying online from Apple, with the exception that Apple usually uses FedEx. Of course, if you buy from Apple, you can configure your IMac a little bit...but adding memory from Apple is very expensive (even if you buy from Apple you should buy your memory separately and install yourself. It is very easy to do). And buying a larger internal HD is not necessary either if you get an external. The external is better anyway in that you can use Time Machine to backup your computer in case a calamity hit your desktop.

5.0 out of 5 stars My First Mac, February 7, 2013
Been using Windows all my life since XP. I have only owned my 27" iMac for a short time but I am thoroughly impressed with the computing experience Apple has put forth. Changing over to a different operating system has been a bit of an adjustment, small things like copy and paste require slightly different ways of execution but OSX has been easy and intuitive enough to navigate straight out the box.

This iMac's screen is huge which allows a lot of space for multi-tasking. It is also stunningly beautiful. I know the gamma has been factory set so that colors are rendered true to life. Glare has been cut helping to focus on the task at hand. Opening programs happens quickly and silently. I have only heard the fan once, that during the Apple test which I conducted on my own. The only other time I've experienced completely silent computing was on my laptop. I really appreciate this feature.

Web surfing using Safari with the trackpad is a great experience that Windows has no answer for. The ability to move forward and backward between pages with a few swipes to me is more intuitive and easier than with a mouse.

Apps like iMovie were a prime motivation for my purchase. The PC has no equivalent for iMovie. I've been using Sony Vegas for years. Yes, I can make transparent title bars in Sony Vegas, but a greater expense of time and effort than with iMovie, which already has templates setup for easy creation. Should I decide to move up to a more sophisticated video editor, Final Cut Pro is the standard for many a video studio.

Apple has made a machine that works exceptionally well and is very elegant to boot. It is a computer that inspires as well as allows for creation of beautiful content with minimal effort.

*****Update*****

I have had some time to use my iMac now and I'm in love with this computer. Each time I go back to my Windows 7 computer I feel like I want to kill myself because it's such an awful computing experience. I can't believe I've been using Windows for so long, now I know why Windows users are so miserable. My iMac is like experiencing a Mercedes, tasteful, smooth, elegant experience. Windows is like driving a truck, clumsy, awkward, and unrefined.

*****Update 9/27/13*****

My iMac is still running well, boots up in a hair over 15 seconds still, even though I've filled the hard drive up with about 500GB. The fusion drive works wonders. Parallels 8 boots up Windows very fast, within seconds. I'm learning about apps like Pixelmator to make my life easier and I have purchased Final Cut Pro. I believe I'm just starting to reap the fruits of being a Mac owner. Looking forward to making great videos, pictures, and slideshows with this workhorse. No machine has inspired me to use it like this one, well, maybe my iPhone, hehe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tool! Spectacular Display!, February 25, 2013
I purchased this for my fiancé to use for business and pleasure. It is a well manufactured, very responsive computing system. Not going to get into holy wars about Mac VS PC because I use both but prefer the Mac because of its under the head Mach kernal and *nix guts that I grew up with as a developer.

I like this machine for a couple of reasons,

1) The view is beautiful! you can't find a monitor on the market that could beat this without shelling out $700+.

2) In spite of the hd speed (5400), it still gets the job done. Photoshop works well, compiling etc... I'm a little greedy so It could be faster though. Just go ahead and pay for the fusion drive or if they have a pure ssd option, go for it.

3) Aesthetics, Ergonomics - They matter!! Stop pretending that they don't! The machine looks very modern and well thought out. Just think Ferrari. It looks way better than my cheap ass black dell at work.

Cons
1) Because I do like to optimize my machines periodically, I don't like the fact that in order to swap out the hard drive, I would have to do some critical surgery separating the led panel from some frame or something according to ifix.com. That is why I will keep my Mini w/ 27 inch thunderbolt display. It is not the end of the world because I like to write code and don't have time to be fixing a computer anyway. I just want it to work 99% of the time.

2) Price - I'm frugal so $1800 for a computer is a little steep. I would feel more comfortable spending maybe $800.

In reference to the people that complain about the drive being missing, I just so happen to have a drive left over from an older Macbook Air that works fine. I have not used it a single time in the month owning it. Not everybody needs a drive. I would rather have a skinny machine with no drive and attach it on demand. For those who have to have one sorry, Apple can't please everybody.

At any rate, if you enjoy Macs, you won't be disappointed by the sleek profile, crisp graphics and fairly fast cpu. I have compared it to my Mac mini with a 2.3 ghz i7 and 16 gb of ram and it is similar in response time doing common chores such as browsing and streaming video. If you are an ultra performance geek, buy a 12-core Mac Pro and run near meaningless benchmarks but for the rest of the people that have work to do (also fun), it is likely this machine will get it done.

5.0 out of 5 stars The NEW iMac!, June 19, 2013
Computer info.
3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1GB GDDR5

So the past year i've been writing an album on my ipad that I got for my birthday, but i wanted to take my writing to the next level. I wanted to get that professional sounding music.. And in order to that, I needed a high end computer that can get the job done. So I did my research for a good year or so and came to find that macs are great for people who want to make music! Not only that, It's for people who want to make movies, edit videos/photos, and just be flat out CREATIVE.

I've been using my family's windows PC ever since I was young and the main thing I don't like about it is that it's super laggy, awkward, and loud. I needed my own computer. So a couple months ago, i decided to get a job so I can save up for this machine. and now... 3 Months later, I saved up a whopping $2,400, bit the bullet, and bought it. (I got the 1TB Fusion Drive since I heard such great things about it).

All I can say is WOW. Computing Perfection.

I ordered it june 7th, and it arrived just last night! It said the estimated delivery was going to be the 18th (Yesterday) so after work i drove home, ran to the window, and just waited for the Fedex truck to come. I sat there for 3 HOURS. Just waiting. At this point is was 8:00, i lost hope for the day and decided to accept it was coming the next day, BUT! Out of no where, just as I was about to leave the couch, the truck came. My heart rate shot up and I just ran out to the truck before the delivery guy could even get out of his truck. I signed for the package and ran inside.

I cleaned out my room so the iMac would look nice with its surrounding. and THEN, I unboxed it.

I was pretty much screaming the entire time because it was so exciting. I remember lifting up the Styrofoam for the first time and seeing how incredibly thin it was. After unboxing it, I plugged this bad boy in and hit the power button. Again, WOW. It walked me through every step I needed to get my Mac setup and running smooth.

I clicked "Start using iMac". And thats when the experience really kicked in.

This computer is not only fast, responsive and fluid. It's so ridiculously simple to use.. But at the same time it is so complex! I spent hours just playing around with the settings.

I still have yet to try most of the programs, but from the programs i have already tried "Garageband, iMovie, Safari, iPhoto, and Photobooth, it's amazing!

I've never bought anything so expensive in my life, But it was completely worth every penny. I've never been more happy with a purchase I made than this one.

It's time to start writing my album:)
Thank you apple for making my first computer an amazing one!

If you have an questions, leave me a comment!!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PRODUCT - VERY WELL MADE, June 19, 2013
I can find no flaws in this product. I have never had a Mac before but I love this computer! It is very easy to use and has lots of tutorials to learn functions if needed. I had a little trouble with the magic mouse at first until I learned I could change the settings and right click...what a world of difference that made for a PC user. I would recommend this product to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection in a desktop !!!.Simply amazing !!!, February 15, 2013
Robert Smith (Highland,Michigan) - See all my reviews
I researched desktop computers online for many days prior to purchasing the Apple iMac 27" all in one desktop.After reading literally dozens of reviews and looking at bench tests from all the brands and models,I concluded that the iMac was the absolute best available.Many of the professional reviews such as from PC Magazine stated that this was the "very best all in one desktop" that they had ever seen.Even giving it their "editor's choice award".I had never owned an Apple product,but was quite impressed with the many glowing reviews from dozens of sources,as well as the bench test results.This iMac is not cheap,but it really is simply the best.You really do get what you pay for in this world.I received my new iMac this week,and I have been blown away by the quality of craftsmanship,the gorgeous display which is stunning,also the speed and design of the iMac.All of the great reviews were 100% accurate.The large 27" screen is stunning !!!.Bright and crisp with intense colors that pop off the screen.And lightening fast !!!.I chose the Fusion Drive as an option,and installed additional Ram memory.My iMac boots up from cold in less than 10 seconds.This latest generation iMac runs faster,cooler and more quiet than any previous iMac.The new design is gorgeous.The weight is nearly 8 pounds lighter than previous 27" iMacs.The screen has 75% less glare than previous models,with no loss to brightness or color intensity.Much has been said about the loss of the internal optical drive,I do not find this an issue.A small Apple USB Superdrive can be purchased for very little,and it sits at the base of the iMac's stand,for those who desire an optical drive.I actually consider this a plus.If the optic drive were to ever fail,I would not have to return the entire desktop for service.I also chose the Apple Care Protection Plan for 3 years of service and support.Apple has the absolute best customer support of any computer manufacturer,second to none.In conclusion,while an expensive purchase,in my opinion this all in one desktop is worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Huge Display, February 1, 2013
transcend (New York city) - See all my reviews
What's striking is the size of the display... It's freaking huge!

No dead pixels, everything is running fast (enough).

My gripes are with the peripherals. Both the keyboard and the mouse are inferior, in my opinion, to logitech's high end offerings. The keyboard is not comfortable to type with, and has no backlight (though that's not that big a deal since the monitor will illuminate brightly enough to effect KB visualization). My gripes with the mouse are the plastic-y clicking sound and battery drainage. Logitech's mice sound much more solid however, they doesn't properly support OS X, so their mice won't support the gestures that the magic mouse does (such as their touch series mice, which work great on my windows based based machines). So we're kind of stuck with their setup. The battery consumption on the mouse is significantly higher than other wireless mice I own. Further, I recommend getting a keyboard skin to keep the KB clean. Unlike laptops, the computer doesn't "breathe" through the KB, so having a skin on the KB won't be a detriment, and macbook based KB skins fit this KB perfectly.

I have been on the wait list for this product for 2 months, and received it yesterday. I'm pretty happy about it all in all. It is a looker, and will make a great hand-me-down to the family when the time comes.

The best feature is the screen, although it's something that takes a bit of getting used to.

Those people that complain about the lack of an optic drive don't mention the built-in card reader. That is enough for me and am happy to save a little having not have an optical drive installed. I'll burn a dvd once in a blue moon and all my other computers have it, and rarely use it.

I wouldn't recommend this unit however, I think the 21 inch would be more appropriate for most people, and significantly cheaper, not to mention lighter, making it somewhat more portable, however, the size of the display may fit the needs of certain customers.

For everyday computing, the 21 inch would probably be ideal and is what I recommend to friends.

Edit:
Note: After a month's use I noticed that my network speed fluctuated quite a bit. I used Wifi exclusively to connect to a home wireless N router (linksys e1500) and aside from my inconsistent internet speed, I noticed that even internal network speeds were slow (laptop, iPhone and tablet transfers to and from my iMac).

I happened to have a wireless network device (TrendNet TEW-647GA) in storage, so I took that out for some testing. It connects to the same wifi network, and uses an ethernet cable to provide connectivity to my iMac through it's ethernet port. The result was a dramatic speed increase, with consistency!

In conclusion, the wifi adapter on this iMac is garbage, or at least, desperately needs a firmware upgrade. If you will be using Wifi exclusively, as I do, you will want to invest in another solution to avoid using the built in wifi adapter. Either a usb-based wifi or a device similar to the one I'm using.
It's quite disappointing that such a high end computer would be using such a low grade wifi adapter. I don't appreciate having to resort to the solution I'm currently using, but the effects are prominently better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent machine!!!, February 3, 2013
Had an HP desktop-PC for many years but just got sick of all the constant updates and security threats. You spend so much time trying to protect your PC you don;t get the time do do what you really wanted to do. I use this new machine most of the time now and really love it.

First, I do own a MacBook Pro laptop but wanted a nice big screen desktop and this new iMac fit the bill. Its slim, looks great and has amazing performance.
- Aesthetics: Unbelievable gorgeous looks. the machine also does not weigh a lot for an all in one.
- Speed: Some of the video conversion that took a long time to run on my late 2008 MBP now run in 1/4 the time!
- Start up Time: Wow. Clocked at 10-12 seconds each and every time.
- Picture quality: Superb!
- Sound - Excellent, nice crisp booming sound.
- Mouse: Get the magic TrackPad. I have both the magic Mouse and the trackPad but find myself using the TrackPad 90% of the time.
- Software: Mountain Lion, iLife and other Apple utilities are top notch. I added MS Office 2011 and Adobe LightRoom.
- Noise: This machine is whisper quiet
- Heat build up: None! I copied over 600GB of data over several hours and the machine only got warm. I am very impressed since my MBP gets way hotter when doing the same.
- Apps Launching: Seems instantaneous. You click it and it appears immediately afterwards. I actually don't mind shutting the machine off each night with the "Restart all open apps" option in OSX. It is fast.

Cons:
- CD Drive - None, but that's not really a problem once you figure out the solutions! You can connect to any other computer on your network with a CD/DVD drive using the Remote drive. I have an old external LG DVD drive that I am using. Also, with thumb drives and cloud storage you can easily move files back and forth in a more durable manner than CD/DVDs. Apple's app store allows you to download apps. Not much of a negative.
- Only has 4 USB 3.0 connections. I would have preferred at least 6
- Price: Expensive, however with the quality products being used and feature rich OS and built-in supporting applications, you understand how this adds up.

Setup:
iMac 19" i5, 8GB with 3TB Fusion drive
Will eventually upgrade the RAM to 32GB since it is user upgradeable but haven't done so yet.

-----
March 8, 2013 update:
I recently purchased 16GB of Crucial So-DIMM RAM for Mac and installed the memory.
Initially, I had installed the pair in the open banks 2 and 4. Rebooted and the Mac gave an error sound.
I remembered that I needed to install the larger 8GB RAM in Slots 1 and 3, which required removal of the original 4GB RAM sticks.
I booted first with the 2 8GB sticks and confirmed that the Mac recognized it.
I then added the original RAM and rebooted. The iMac now register 24GB RAM!!!
1. How to install RAM:
[...]
2. RAM purchased:
Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Memory Modules For Mac CT2C8G3S160BM

5.0 out of 5 stars HOLY COW!!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS THING!!!!!, January 29, 2013
DJ (Queens Village, NY) - See all my reviews
I received my 27 inch imac upgraded with the fusion drive yesterday (01/28/13). I ordered it from another website in December and it took a while to get it but with the contraints and all, I expected that. I replaced my 2008 20 inch imac that I am giving to a family member. Let me just say going from a 20 inch to a 27 inch is eye popping!!!! It is absolutely gorgeous. I love the speed, the screen is so clear and the colors just pop out at you. I will admit, that I struggled a little bit with paying that much for a computer, but my birthday was on Christmas Day so this a gift to myself. I work hard and I deserve it. Once again, I am very pleased with this machine.

Apple iMac MD095LL/A 27-Inch Desktop (OLD VERSION)
Used & New from: $1,399.00