Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter for Select iPhone, iPad and iPod Models (MD826AM/A)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on November 9, 2013
I can only give this four stars because it doesn't work perfectly. It's also been noted that it's not a full 1080 P device. It actually gives slightly lower resolution than full 1080p it is 1080x900p. It costs so much because it actually has a small computer device in it, with RAM because the lightning port is only a serial port. However the resolution may be increased with future iOS updates. The problems that I have are number one the picture doesn't totally fill the screen with every app and number two it's not DRM compliant so not all media will go to the television. This Hulu app seemed to work the best but some like NFL game rewind don't work at all, you get sound with no picture on both screens. By the way I'm using this with an iPad 4 with the latest version of iOS 7.

When it's working right, the screen of the iPad has a message that it's playing on TV. When it's not working right, the image mirrors on both TV and the iPad. The picture on the TV will be letterboxed and in the shape of the actual iPad. A pleasant surprise was the ability, by using the chrome app, to reach speed2.com and watch races, displayed in the correct 16:9 ratio. Both the Max go and HBO go programs worked well while Netflix and Crackle had problems. I tried a couple different titles on Netflix and one did not work right,where it was mirrored on the iPad on the TV, but another movie worked fine and the iPad On TV message and the TV displayed the picture properly. The Amazon app didnt work at all, seemed to be related to lack of DRM. DRM stands for digital rights media and it's a requirement for hdmi cabling so that movies cannot be copied to computers. Amazon may not have the rights to stream movies to a secondary device. The Chrome browser app also did not work right, it was mirrored on the iPad and the TV. I did not try Safari maybe it works correctly. However I did watch a short video on the Chrome app browser and it worked correctly. Another short video however did not. So it seems to be hit or miss.

Pros

-when it works it's great
-you can still charge your device while using it

Con

-price
-not all apps fill screen
-not all apps work at all with it, no DRM
-reports of lag
-not full/raw 1080p, which can lead to compression artifacts
1111 comments| 241 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 5, 2013
If all you need this for is quick demo's of an app or something, it works. But I bought this to connect an iPad mini to a 1080p plasma to show a slide show of pictures. What I found though is the picture quality is only fair when it comes to detail and color. Do some research on google and you'll find that the iPad Mini and iPad 4 do not have direct video out thought the lighting connector, but rather it creates a "local-link airplay stream" which converts the data into an MPEG video stream, resulting in compressed quality and an annoying lag on the display. There is no options to change the resolution either, so you plug it in and it either works, or it doesn't. When using an iPad 3 and the 30-pin to VGA adapter, you get direct video output that looks perfect, but not with this expensive little adapter. Your better off getting an Apple TV and then an HDMI to VGA adapter. That combo works with good picture as well, but not this Lighting adapter. Stay away unless you really need it.
99 comments| 296 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2016
I needed this to connected my iPhone 6 Plus to my 2014 Honda Civic. I connected it and pressed the hdmi option and that was it. It charges my phone and will even play videos at the same time! It's great I'm excited!
on March 26, 2016
Ordering this thing gets you the newest version (MD826AM/A) and not the ZM/A version. March 2016

I cannot speak to the older version but I just received this new on from Amazon. Tested it. What some of the very low reviews claim is NOT true.

You get the HDMI feed from the phone, but it depends on the source. Low quality YouTube looks like crap on an HD set obviously but HD video looks just great.

You DO get headphone audio output (tested YouTube and Safari website played video).

I cannot talk to what a specific app on the phone does based on how they program it to behave. It's certainly thinkable a specific app could be written to only output audio via HDMI just as some apps refuse to allow playback out of the HDMI adapter. I got video audio on YouTube videos. I got audio on website (safari) played video.

So it does what I expect it to do. One star away just because it so bulky.

I'll update this review if my experience indicates a change in performance or reliability.

Additionally the audio stayed in sync with the video just fine. I was listening with headphone jack connected earbuds. Though this isn't a typical use case but a plugged in external speaker would work the same.

Again I tested with YouTube. I didn't yet test with 1080P not with a dedicated video app. If I discover an HD app or feed cannot keep audio in sync with the video I'll update the review.
review image
This is the original Apple cable that enables your Apple Lightning device to play iTunes movies on your HDMI-equipped big TV. It works perfectly and effortlessly -- I hooked my iPhone 5 up to my HDMI cable and the iPhone automatically output the movie to this cable and into the TV. This is a nice amenity for trips -- you can fit quite a few movies or TV shows on an iPhone (or late-model iPad or iPod equipped with a Lightning interface) and watch the flicks on your TV. This cable also has a second input connector so that you can attach another Lightning cable to it while it is playing a video. This allows your Apple device to charge while playing. The cable works fine without this, however, as long as your device remains charged.

I dung this cable one star due to its very high price. Many users, myself included, will not want to spring for more than one of these. But it does work perfectly. RJB.
1313 comments| 253 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2015
Product did not work at all. Packaging was legit, but not sure about the product.
on March 25, 2016
Works perfect for what I needed it for! Recently cut my cable and wifi off at home. Unlimited data on my cell phone and this adapter allows me to stream Netflix right on my TV. I can still view notifications while watching on the TV but any other activity will show on the screen. I sacrifice using my phone while I watch TV, but it's well worth the money I save on everything else monthly. A lot of reviews complain about the price point, but I suppose that's relative to its intended use.
on July 12, 2014
Does not work with Amazon Prime, as of 12 July 2014. I have an IPAD that is the latest generation (maybe 2 months old) and it runs the amazon video app to its retina display just fine, but only the soundtrack makes it to the HDMI TV.

As nearly as I can tell, this is not a hardware limitation, but rather a limitation that has been deliberately programmed in to the software. I am inclined to believe that Amazon put this limitation in place (to sell more of their tablets), but this is not a technical problem--someone, either Apple, or Amazon, or both, WANT(s) this to not work. What an absolute load of excrement. If Amazon Instant Video is your goal, save your money on this device. Perhaps the limitation will be eliminated some day, but only if enough people squawk enough, to affect the bottom-line of one or both of the companies.

As an owner of 5 Kindles, several Android devices and multiple iPad/iPods, I resent this deliberate limitation to my enjoyment of my equipment.
55 comments| 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2015
I just bought one from best buy but I'm going to return it because on Amazon is way cheaper and works the same. At best buy I spend 54 bucks at Downey landing ! No can watch movies and charge my phone at the same time ! Amazing !
on November 7, 2015
At the time of this writing, anything Showtime will not go through this adapter, even to a certified HDCP TV; instead, you get the error display shown attached.

Second, you really need some kind of bracket to hold the resulting contraption comprised of the phone, the adapter, the HDMI cord, and the power supply Lighting cord. With all wiggling around it gets during docking and undocking, it's not hard to imagine a bad connection developing, resulting in "a glitch or two," as Sheriff Ed Tom Bell put it.
review image review image