5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Graphics Workstation
Published on October 18, 2012 by Kort

3.0 out of 5 stars Computer dying on arrival, dead within minutes
Published 23 months ago by Dutton Peabody, Editor

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Graphics Workstation, October 18, 2012
This review is from: Apple Mac Pro MD770LL/A Desktop (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
In October 2012 I purchased a Mac Pro MD770LL/A from Amazon through a work account. It boasts a 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor, an ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics card, and a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HD. I'd hoped to hold out until they upgraded the product line again, but current news puts that at somewhere in 2013. My previous Apple Power Mac G5 motherboard failed recently, and since it was my primary work computer, I couldn't put off upgrading any longer. I don't do much if any video editing, so didn't see the need to get the 6 core or dual processor models. Budget was a consideration as well -- Mac Pros aren't cheap. I'm primarily a graphic designer who uses Adobe Photoshop and the rest of the Creative Suite (CS6) to get my varied print and web projects done; along with QuarkXpress for page layout and Office for the Mac. For these needs this Mac Pro is more than up to the task.

My old 24" Cinema Display was still working, but since it is about 8 years old and uses the old ADC connector, I didn't think it was worth purchasing the $300+ adapter for it. There are several 3rd party monitors that looked good and were cheaper or close to $1K, but I decided to go with Mac again, and bought the 27" Cinema Display. While its glossiness can be distracting, I keep my office dark so that isn't really an issue. I've read other's thoughts on the pros and cons of glossy displays, and if a user is not on a laptop that is exposed to a variety of environments, then it actually is the better display for clarity, color depth and reading text. So far I have to concur. At 2560x1440 pixel resolution, details are a bit smaller than what I've been used to, but I'm adjusting and really like the extra screen real-estate. Its brightness is highly adjustable from 'almost can't see' to 'nearly blown-out', so glare can be compensated for in that way as well. In any event, it plays very nicely with the Mac Pro, though I wish the connection cords were longer.

Getting back to the Mac Pro. Initial boot-up was easy and the set-up process simple. The interior design of this computer is even more impressive than that of the G5, and I thought that one had the best configuration I'd ever seen in a desktop. Opening the Mac Pro is just as easy as before and they did away with the clear air flow shield and removable fan. Components are laid out more intuitively and EVERYTHING is modular. The 4 hard drive bays are very accessible and RAM was very easy to install. I installed a 4 card 16GB Kingston kit and am pleased with it's performance. It is also ECC so I don't have to worry about cosmic rays corrupting my memory. ;'] I also purchased a second WD Caviar Black 1 TB HD as a back-up, and installed the 2 hard drives from my old Power Mac as well. I've encounter no problems with any of them and the installations were easy. It runs quieter than the G5 Power Mac and has extra ports on the front. If I wanted to install a second optical drive, there is a bay for that. SDDs and a second graphics cards are also an option, though I don't personally require them, yet.

I'm still feeling things out, but so far I'm VERY impressed with the Mac Pro. It is FAST -- I'd say a good 3-4x more responsive than my G5 from everything from startup to browser speed and everything else. It came with OSX 10.7 (Lion) installed, but offered a free upgrade to OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion), which I took advantage of. I installed all of the updates and after more than a week's use, everything appears to be very responsive and stable. OSX is one of the primary reasons people buy Apple Macs, and Mountain Lion is pretty slick. I've yet to encounter a application or system crash. On my old 10.4.1.1 system, that happened *at least* once a week. I'm now using Adobe Creative Suite CS6, QuarkXPress 9.2.1.1 and Office for Mac 2011. No complaints thus far. Browser speeds are excellent too. I had been primarily using Firefox on my old system, but Safari is great on this one so I may stick with it. I did download Firefox and Chrome, and both are speedy on this computer as well. The Apple Magic Mouse is a revelation. I don't think I can ever go back to using a regular mouse again.

All-in-all, I would recommend the Mac Pro to a graphics professional who is comfortable using OSX. There is a price premium for the hardware, but I think it's worth it if you want to use OSX and desire a very solid, efficient workstation. It is missing some features like Blu-Ray, USB 3, Thunderbolt and card readers, but for me that is mostly a non-issue. If you NEED to upgrade before the next generation of Mac Pros are available, then I would say don't hesitate. If you can wait, then wait. If you don't want or need OSX, then consider the many fine Windows workstation alternatives. Otherwise, the Mac Pro is hard to beat!

~ Kort

4.0 out of 5 stars From iMac to Mac Pro, December 2, 2012
Just bought myself a new 2012 Mac Pro today. I haven't received it yet and will update this review and the rating once I get it and then after a year.

The reason I wanted to post a review already is to explain why I chose the Mac Pro over the iMac.

This new Mac Pro is my fifth Apple computer. My current Mac is an iMac 24inches Intel Core 2 Duo. Before that, I had a G4 tower, with a Motorola chip.

I bought the G4 in 1999 and believe it or not, this Mac is still running as of today. All my Macs are turned on 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for almost all year long. I only shut them down when I go away from home for more than 3 days, which means around 3-4 times a year. They are both set up to go to sleep after 1 hour of idle time. So my G4 is now close to 14 years old (the cost is well written off by now!) and I never had one issue with it. Not a single glitch either with the RAM, the hard disk, the mother board or anything else.

As opposed to my iMac (bought in june 2006) that is a bit over 6 years old now, costed me less than the G4 but is already showing signs of malfunction. As an example, five days ago, I was using HandBrake to convert a movie and all of a sudden, it froze and gave me a blue screen... First time ever I see this on a Mac. I had to kill it by holding down the power button, but when I restarted, everything was fine. All kinds of strange bugs like that happen over the last few months.

So I decided that if the iMac dies, I will not have it fixed and based on my experience with the G4, I decided to go for the Mac Pro, hoping that it will be as reliable. You may say what's the point of keeping a computer for so long, since the technology evolves so fast. Well, based on my needs, upgrading at the pace of the technology isn't a requirement. For example, I use a flat bed Agfa scanner on my G4 to scan printed photos from many sources (newspapers, magazines, old photos, etc). It came with a software to scan photos that has so many options and gives so good results, I never found anything better since. So as long as my G4 lasts, this scanner will be my main tool to scan photos, because I cannot plug it in newer computers and it runs only on old system 9.1.

I chose the new Mac Pro with the quad-core chip, because I use Photoshop a lot to edit photos and it does not manage more than four cores anyway.

In short, I prefer to buy a computer that is a bit more expensive at the date of purchase, but which lasts and becomes cheaper with time, than one that needs to be changed after 3 years and has erratic functionning in that period of time. In that sense, I don't trust the iMac for the long run.

DEC 17, 2012
This is a first impression report, as promised in the previous section of this review.
The first thing that surprised me when I got the Mac Pro is the size of the computer. It is huge! Much bigger than the 1999 G4. Even though I knew it was going to be bigger when I looked at the dimensions, it is quite impressive when you see it for real. So be aware that it is going to take space on your desk.

Nevertheless, it was easy to get it out of the box, thanks to the two handles at each end of the computer. It is heavy, though, but that heaviness gives a feel of a computer very strongly built.

I ordered the Mac Pro with only one hard drive, because I found internal hard disks much cheaper at another store. I had to install them by myself and even though I had never done this before, the Mac Pro is so well designed inside, it is so easy to figure out how to do it that in 15 minutes, the job was done, without the need to look inside the user's guide.

Another surprise when I started the computer : none of the three hard disks were visible on the desktop. And yet, the computer started. Using Disk Utility, I realised that Mac OS was seeing them. So, what was going on?

After a lot of reading on the Internet, I learned that Mac OS 10.8 comes by default with the "Show hard disks on desktop" checkbox unchecked. You have to go to Finder/Preferences and check that box. Be aware.

Third surprise are the scroll bars in any window. By default, they show only when the mouse roll over. I found that setting quite annoying. But how do you change it? I read on the Internet that I would need to install a third party tiny application, but that is not true if you have OS X 10.8.2. Go to System Preferences/General icon and there you have a radio button to have the scroll bars always on.

First time also that I ordered a Mac with a wireless keyboard and mouse. The keyboard is so slim, so tiny, it is a joy to use. Even though it comes without a keypad and requires to get used to a new key layout, for those used to an extended keyboard, the joy of using it cancel the pain of learning a new key layout (I don't mean here the QWERTY layout, but rather the other keys. For example, on an extended keyboard, you have two separate delete keys, one for backward deleting and one for forward deleting. On this smaller wireless keyboard, there's only one delete key, which is a backward delete key, and for forward deleting, you have to press the function and backward delete keys at the same time).

Be also aware that any new Mac now comes without a system backup on DVD. Go to Apple support Web pages and look for « Reinstall OS X » and « Recovery Disk Assistant » for details.

Finally, the speed is there. Applications open almost instantly (Photoshop CS5, InDesign CS5, Word, Excel 2011). I have not made yet an extensive testing of the performance, but it is already obvious that this Mac has power.

So far, I am quite pleased with this new Mac Pro.

2013-02-26
Something weird happened today. Trying to install a Windows OS with Bootcamp, something went wrong and I needed to reboot. But the Mac Pro wouldn't restart on MacOS but rather ask for the Windows install DVD. I couldn't do that because none of the keys of the wireless keyboard would work. Nothing. So I could not open the door of the DVD drive. After several attempts, I plugged my old USB wired keyboard from the iMac, and then holding the ALT key worked just fine and I could choose the boot drive. None of the wireless devices of the Mac Pro (keyboard and mouse) worked on restart. So wireless devices don't seem very safe for emergency restart...

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock Solid, January 21, 2013
G. Lowrey (Tulsa, OK United States) - See all my reviews
My business depends on having a rock solid computer that will never give me trouble. This is my third MacPro. Combined with a 30" Cinema Display, the MacPro is hard to beat. True, the latest models lack some recent Apple features like Thunderbolt. However, I cannot tolerate down time, and I need easy expansion. The MacPro fills those critical requirements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great desktop best of both world, February 10, 2013
With Amazon Prime I paid additional 10$ to get next day. Did not have to pay tax! Microcenter had same item in very similar price but had to pay tax. 140$ savings!!

I am a long time software developer PC/Microsoft side. Made dual boot with windows 8. Works great, very quiet CPU. My desktop is clutter free now with only one physical machine that works as PC and Mac. Very powerful with Xeon server processor. Dual boot (instead of virtualization software) selected to save software cost and get benefit of all CPU, memory resources. CPU box is very sleek, little large (than mid tower PC), clutter free inside, no visible wires comparing to usual PC CPUs. The hard drive mounting trays are very easy to use, no wires need to put into hard drive, hard drive in tray slides into SATA power and data ports directly!

The only complain I had was Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard does not work to boot secondary OS (in my case I made Mac OS secondary). So I have to keep an additional keyboard (I used Mac keyboard came with this machine) plugged into USB port just to press "Option" button. Once OS is up I can use the Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard and mouse fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Computer dying on arrival, dead within minutes, January 1, 2013
I love my Apple gear but this is my second Mac Pro to arrive with serious problems. (My first, which I still have and use, was more than 4 years ago--it had to be replaced as well). This time the machine made a lot of odd noise (rattling) on boot. Shortly later, trying to start it, it would not even power on. I called Amazon and they suggested I call Apple. I did, and took it in to a local Apple store. They pronounced it dead and speculated a bad logic board but were not sure. They instructed me to return it to Amazon. I contacted Amazon and was issued a call ticket. Amazon accepted the return and processed a refund. Thanks Amazon!

I have not replaced the unit as yet (price went up $250 from the sale price I bought it at). I'm waiting to see if the price drops again and still using my old Mac Pro in the meantime.

I gave this product 3 stars because of the logic board failure. Otherwise it would be a 5 star as I know the product well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple is the BEST, January 31, 2013
Carol H (Arlington Heights IL) - See all my reviews
Had to upgrade my G5 Power PC mac tower because I could no longer update my software. Everything now runs on intel-based towers. My photoshop was out of date and I needed to update for work purposes. Otherwise my old tower ran great and it was 6 years old. Apple provides long-lasting, outstanding products! I received 10% off around Black Friday on this purchase and Apple products rarely go on sale. It was such a great purchase especially from Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an awesome machine., November 18, 2013
If you do power computing, be it engineering, graphics or development - this machine is the one you want. Lesser users do not like it because it is huge, solid and intimidating. I like it because it has more internal spaces for memory and storage than any laptop. It is fitted with wireless - you don't need to plug it into an ethernet to get online. Has bluetooth too, so my magic tracpad works, as does my phone sync. It comes with four usb sockets, so I use a ten socket hub with it to attach my peripherals - four printers, two copiers one fax, and a dedicated label printer, and has multiple monitor capability with DVI and mini DVI that I plug my two Amazon purchased Asus monitors into. The other selling point for me is the two optical disk drive spaces - Apple doesn't make the old type of drives any more - the supplier quit so now they fit the ubiquitous Serial-ATA drives - you can buy one they will fit for big bucks or fit an Asus drive that you can get from Amazon for $25. It fits flawlessly in five minutes, just fit the thing into the carrier and slide it home.

Any SATA drive will fit into any of the four carriers, though they are not the same length as the older versions of this machine, so you cannot just take them out of the older machine and slip them into the new one, you have to use the new version's carrier slides. This means installing a drive takes five minutes not one.. :)

So, if you need two optical drives, four 4TB hard drives and two monitors, use a bluetooth device and use wifi to connect this machine does it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, October 23, 2013
Purchased this one to replace my first generation Mac Pro because I needed to run the latest OS and latest ProTools & Logic Pro apps. Works beautifully - quiet, fast, no issues at all getting it up and running in the studio. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mac Pro Desktop get the jobs done., October 15, 2013
My new Mac Pro is the most powerful mac I have ever owned. I use my Mac for my job as a graphic designer plus so many more things like media center for my Apple TV and ITunes storage with the help of the additional drive bays which I loaded with 2 3TB hard drives. This Mac makes every day tasks simple to organize and keeps me updated with text messages and email. The best Mac I have ever owned.

5.0 out of 5 stars yep yep, November 16, 2014
As advertised, except they didn't include the USB mouse. I'm not sweating it though, that things hideous..

Apple Mac Pro MD770LL/A Desktop (OLD VERSION)
Used & New from: $1,399.00