Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch Laptop (OLD VERSION)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 2, 2010
This is an able computer, but the so called value additions that make this model $300 more expensive than the standard Macbook Pro 13 are hardly worth it. If you're thinking about buying this version of the 13 inch Macbook Pro, please consider taking a look at the standard Apple MacBook Pro MC374LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop.

The only difference between this $1499 MBP 13 and the $1199 MBP 13 are processor speed and hard drive space - this MBP 13 has a 2.66ghz processor and 320 gb hard drive while the standard MBP 13 has a 2.4 ghz processor and 250 gb hard drive.

So you're paying $300 more (20% of the cost of the $1499 MBP 13 or 25% of the cost of the standard $1199 MBP 13) and getting only 70 gb more hard drive space and a processor faster by 266 mhz (Approximately 10%). Whether that's worth a $300 price difference over the standard MPB 13 is questionable.

Everything else is IDENTICAL in both MPB 13's - Superdrive, backlit keyboard, multi-touch trackpad, screen (1280 x 800 resolution Glossy LED backlit screen), iSight camera, Nvidia Geforce 320m integrated graphics, speakers, amount of ram (4gb - good for multitasking),number of ports(1 Firewire 800 port,2 USB 2.0 ports), SD Card slot, wireless capabilities (802.11n specification; 802.11a/b/g compatible, Bluetooth 2.1 and Gigabit Ethernet -10/100/1000). THE SAME EVERYTHING.

The software included is also the same - OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and the iLife 09 suite of content creation tools. A 1 year warranty on parts and 90 day telephone technical support is also standard on both models

Let's consider a situation where you choose to buy the standard MBP 13 instead of this model. You'd save $300.

You could then put it towards purchasing a 500 gb hard drive (for approximately $80 on Amazon) and install it yourself. That's a bigger hard drive than the one included in this $1499 model. The installation instructions are included in the MBP 13 manual and it doesn't void the warranty. You'll need a Philips #00 screwdriver. Installation videos are also available online.

You'd also have $220 left with which,(if you decide to) you could buy Applecare or Squaretrade and protect your machine for 2 more years after the first year limited warranty runs out.

If you're interested in using your money optimally, do consider the standard Apple MacBook Pro MC374LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop It's 99% identical in terms of hardware and capability in comparison to this $1499 MBP 13 and is in all aspects, a much better value for money buy.

Hope this helps!
2828 comments|165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I mentioned it in the video portion of the review, but the first step to purchasing a Mac is to determine if you are ready to make the leap from the world of the PCs. Personally, for my day-to-day use (and creating video reviews for Amazon.com) I love using Macs. They are very intuitive - and importantly- they always seem to work. Rarely do programs randomly close down or does the computer just completely freeze.

Now that is out of the way - why should you consider the 2.66GhZ MacBook Pro? Is it really worth the extra cost versus the Apple MacBook Pro MC374LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop and the Apple MacBook Pro MC374LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop? For me the answer was a (pretty) easy, yes. I love the increased speed in Video editing provided by the 4G of RAM (compared to the 2G on the standard Macbook) and the 2.66GHz Processor.

A run down of the things I like about this model

- The display is awesome - the LED screen is very crisp and uses less power.
- Firewire port -
- SD card reader - it comes in more handy than you might expect
- 10 hours of battery life
- The 4G of Ram helps with video processor and other memory intensive activities
- Super Fast... programs open almost instantly.
- I was able to load all of my old programs using Time Machine
- Aluminum frame - I had some issues with the plastic on our previous Macbook
- Very lightweight
- The wireless N card seems to work much faster than the N card on our older Mac ...in truth, it seems like it help to expand the range of the router Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (Simultaneous Dual-Band) (MC340LL/A)
- I really do like the backlit keyboard - I know it seems like a minor thing, but we really do like it.
- I do recommend purchasing the Apple Care. It is expensive but Apple customer service can not be matched.

Final Verdict- While the Macbook Pros are more expensive than comparable laptops to me it does't make much of a difference - the Macbook Pros are worth it. They work perfectly out of the box and offer great performance. I really couldn't be happier

5 Stars - No Second Thoughts on this Purchase
33 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2010
I programme a lot and use my laptop for both intensive work and sometimes for games too. It handles both supremely well - and has a very crisp screen that's easy on the eyes. I got the 256 SSD harddisk and it's bloody quick! I changed over from my IBM thinkpad basically for the ascetics of the new macs (and the fact that I found out there are two programmable mouse buttons on it!)

Battery life is around 4-5 hours with normal use I'd say. With careful and low level stuff, I think maybe 6-7 hours is possible doing reasonable things... If you do almost nothing but use a text editor with everything else off one may well get 10hrs out but I've never tried it.

I got the 13 inch because I prefer something portable and sleek, which the mbp certainly is! The only thing I have against it is that the resolution for the 13" is very low for a high end laptop these days and you can't fit as much information on one screen as I would like. Typically at work I have to plug in an external monitor (non-apple, which displays to the full capabilities of the screen without fault or hassle).

Otherwise the computer sometimes runs a little hot (though nowhere near as hot as my old ibm).

It is in summary a very good laptop - the best I've ever owned. It also helps that it's thin and gorgeous.
on June 7, 2010
This is my first Mac ever, and I absolutely love it. The only downside is the high price, but this laptop is certainly worth the price you pay. The trackpad is amazing, and the aluminum unibody is so nice. The keyboard feels so good to type on, and the backlit keys look awesome. I won't get into the software too much, but Mac OSX is so user-friendly and the programs that come on it are fantastic.
on November 12, 2014
I bought a refurbished 15" Macbook Pro from eSales Connect. The laptop shipped fast but when I turned it on, it would overheat. I really need the laptop to start a course two weeks later and to send it back to get it fixed was not in my plans. I had to do some work wih that computer.

I talked to the guy who was willing to trade me the laptop for a 13" Macbook Pro he had in the inventory. How nice is that?

I am currently typing with the 13" Macbook Pro that he sold me and it is a very well maintained machine. Everything works great and there aren't scratches on the body so this is probably the greatest buy I've had in years.
on April 28, 2016
Love apple products. I purchased used with high hopes of the "included" additional software, seller was unable to provide it after fresh install. The magsafe charger works but i poor condition.
on July 27, 2014
I still own this bought a while ago. Apple makes durable products so there's that and it is a great laptop unlike many windows products that can drive you insane. Don't worry about a learning curve switching to apple. There is really none unless you are so behind in technology that you need help. If so their customer support needs work. I never needed them so that's what you get with apple good product so you don't need their hopelessly pathetic geniuses or call center.
on February 15, 2014
I bought this and other Macbook Pros .. they are all great machines. I hardly ever have to reboot, free software updates these days. Interface takes getting used to but once you get used to it, there's no going back to Windows.
on June 26, 2014
While I am happy about receiving my first macbook pro, I am not happy about the fact that the body of this item did not match what was stated. the seller said their wasn't any body scratches which was NOT the truth. This owner also did not mention the dent on the outer casing of my macbook pro as well as the layer of plastic that is peeling off around the keyboard. I am grateful for this deal, I just wish the seller told absolute truth so when I looked at it, I wasn't disappointed. Overall this laptop is working great!
on July 27, 2013
I bought this laptop last year without researching a whole lot about it (based on a friend's recommendation). It was pretty much love at first use! I love how awesome it is to have the keyboard with a backlight. The battery life is FANTASTIC! The screen is large enough, super clear. I love how it feels to click the keys on the keyboard, they do not "crunch." It is light weight and it also doesn't make my lap hot when I use it. Like all Macs, it is easy to use and I quickly navigate between applications with multiple windows open. I am a teacher so I use several resources at the same time to develop my lesson plans. Of course as I type this I know that I bought it in 2012 and today they have a newer model and version. This one is amazing though. You won't be disappointed!