The new MacBook Air is up to 2.5x faster than before. It features the latest Intel Core i5 dual-core processor, high-speed Thunderbolt I/O, a backlit keyboard, and OS X Lion, the next major release of the world's most advanced desktop operating system. MacBook Air also comes standard with flash storage, so it boots up in seconds, launches apps quickly, and wakes from sleep in an instant. And a long-lasting battery powers MacBook Air for up to 5 hours and offers up to 30 days of standby time. All in a durable unibody design that's thin, light, and ready for anything.
This version of the MacBook Air (model MC968LL/A) sports a 11.6-inch high-resolution display, 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5 dual-core processor, 64 GB of flash memory storage, 2 GB of RAM, and an Intel HD Graphics 3000 integrated graphics processor (see full specifications below). It also comes with the iLife software suite, which includes the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand.
OS X Lion
Every Mac comes with OS X Lion, the latest release of the world's most advanced desktop operating system. With over 250 features including Multi-Touch gestures, Mission Control, full-screen apps, and Launchpad, OS X Lion takes the Mac further than ever.
Key OS X Lion Features
- Mission Control provides a bird's-eye view of everything running on your Mac.
- Launchpad puts all your apps front and center for easy access.
- View apps full screen and switch between them with a swipe.
- Interact with your Mac using intuitive new Multi-Touch gestures.
Flash Memory Storage
By replacing the standard spinning hard drive typically found in laptops (as well as desktop PCs) with flash memory, the MacBook Air delivers an almost instantaneous boot-up when you open the display, as well as faster application launches and snappier overall performance. Additionally, Apple has shed the enclosure that typically surrounds flash memory (usually about the same size as a standard hard drive), thus giving it a smaller footprint and helping to decrease the size of the MacBook Air.
Revolutionary Thunderbolt Technology
Developed by Intel with collaboration from Apple, high-speed Thunderbolt I/O (input/output) technology delivers an amazing 10 gigabits per second of transfer speeds in both directions. Built into the MacBook Air, the Thunderbolt port allows you to connect to new Thunderbolt-compatible peripherals as well as existing USB and FireWire peripherals using simple adapters. You'll be able to move data up to 20 times faster than with USB 2.0 and more than 12 times faster than with FireWire 800, and you can daisy-chain up to six high-speed devices without using a hub. Thunderbolt also supports DisplayPort for high resolution displays and works with existing adapters for HDMI, DVI, and VGA displays.
Glass Multi-Touch Trackpad and Backlit Keyboard
With the smooth, glass Multi-Touch trackpad, the MacBook Air makes it easy to navigate OS X Lion and your software applications. You can pinch, swipe or rotate images on the display screen with the brush of two fingers, or add more digits for a four-fingered vertical swipe to open Expose and quickly glance at all of your open windows.
In spite of its compact size, the MacBook Air has a full-size keyboard for comfortable, natural typing, and it's backlit so you can keep typing in even the dimmest light.
Integrated FaceTime Webcam
You'll be able to easily connect with friends, family, and business colleagues using the MacBook Air's FaceTime camera, which is integrated into the thin bezel above the display. And with Apple's FaceTime application, you're not limited to video chats with other Macs--you can now make video calls to iPhone and iPod touch users (Wi-Fi connection required for mobile users).
- 11.6-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with a 1366 x 768-pixel resolution
- Up to 5 hours of wireless productivity plus up to 30 days of standby time
- 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5 dual-core processor with 3 MB shared L3 cache.
- 64 GB flash memory storage
- 2 GB installed RAM (1333 MHz DDR3; supports up to 4 GB)
- Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor (with 256 MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory) for an outstanding everyday graphics experience.
- Built-in FaceTime camera for video chatting
- Wireless-N Wi-Fi wireless networking (based on 802.11n specification; 802.11a/b/g compatible)
- Bluetooth 4.0 technology for connecting with peripherals such as keyboards, mice, and cell phones.
- Two USB 2.0 ports with networking using optional Apple USB Ethernet adapter
- Thunderbolt port with support for up to 2560 x 1600-pixel resolution (compatible with Mini DisplayPort devices)
- Built-in stereo speakers along with omnidirectional microphone, headphone port
- Full-size keyboard with backlighting
- Multi-Touch trackpad for precise cursor control; supports inertial scrolling, pinch, rotate, swipe, three-finger swipe, four-finger swipe, tap, double-tap, and drag capabilities
- Dimensions: 11.8 x 7.56 x 0.68 inches (WxDxH)
- Weight: 2.38 pounds
What's in the Box
11.6-inch MacBook Air, 45W MagSafe power adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, printed and electronic documentation
Note: The MacBook Air does not come with an optical drive, however OS X Lion offers the convenient DVD or CD Sharing feature, which lets you wirelessly "borrow" the optical drive of a nearby Mac or PC. So you can install applications from a DVD or CD and have full access to an optical drive without having to carry one around. Additionally, you can connect an optional optical drive (such as the MacBook Air SuperDrive) via one of the USB ports.
- OS X Lion
Includes Mail, Address Book, iCal, the Mac App Store, iTunes, Safari, Time Machine, FaceTime, Photo Booth, Mission Control, Launchpad, AirDrop, Resume, Auto Save, Versions, Quick Look, Spotlight, QuickTime, and more.
- Lion Recovery
OS X Lion includes a built-in set of tools for repairing your Mac in the Recovery HD, a new feature that lets you repair disks or reinstall OS X Lion without a physical disc.
Limited Warranty And Service
The MacBook Air comes with 90 days of free telephone support and a 1-year limited warranty, which can be extended to 3 years with the AppleCare Protection Plan.
AppleCare Protection Plan
Because Apple makes the hardware, the operating system, and many applications, the Mac is a truly integrated system. And only the AppleCare Protection Plan gives you one-stop service and support from Apple experts, so most issues can be resolved in a single call. Extend the complimentary service and support on your Mac to 3 years from the original Mac purchase date with the AppleCare Protection Plan. You get direct telephone access to Apple experts for technical questions, and you get global repair coverage--including both parts and labor--for your Mac and select Apple peripherals.
Optional Accessories and Related Products
Apple Thunderbolt Display
Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive
Apple USB Ethernet Adapter
Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter
Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter