Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

There's nothing really that I can add that the other reviewers haven't made about how nice this new retina Macbook Pro is. But I will point out that you will need an external CD-ROM/DVD burner as these do not include internal drives anymore. as a Mac user who sometimes burns DVDs even today and if you're like me this is something you need to be aware of when purchasing this machine. Here are a few of your choices that are on Amazon.

This is the Samsung external DVD burner with a price of only $29 it's a good choice. Samsung SE-208AB/TSBS External DVD-Writer - Black

But if you want to stick with the Apple external DVD writer this is their SuperDrive with a price tag of $69: Apple USB Superdrive

Both of these drives will work, is just your choice if the extra $30 is worth getting the Apple Drive. Personally I would recommend dropping the extra 30 (you're already spending over $1800 on an iMac) on the Apple drive it's a slot load drive and just looks a lot cooler.

Hope this helps
on August 9, 2014
Time for some laptop love :
For work I have this Mid-2012 15" macbook pro retina, but with 16GB RAM
It is an expensive laptop, it has 16 GB of RAM, an older i7 processor, and they all come with SSD Only as storage.

It is an absolutely incredible machine. At two years old, I had one complaint - the 512GB SSD, the largest they sold at the time, wasn't big enough. I just completed a 1TB upgrade with the Transcend Jetdrive 725, and I am again 100% happy with my laptop.

I use this laptop 6-10 hours every day. It handles the usage like a champ.
I run Multiple VMs for testing and helping out clients - with 16GB ram and the SSD, these present no problem whatsoever.

It is very thin (at the cost of upgradability), and it is very light, but the unibody construction means I can pick it up by a single corner and it doesn't noticeably flex at all.

I use my laptop as hard as anyone, and I love this machine. I strongly recommend the macbook pro retina line to anyone that really uses their laptop.
on July 8, 2013
This is the computer I've always needed, I finally got this to replace my sluggish desktop PC at home before it finally dies. The difference in speed is astounding. Boot up time on the Mac from pressing the power button to get to my login screen is 13 seconds (where the old PC takes like 1.5 minutes). Most of my stuff at home centers around music, and this little MBPr does it all. Should have upgraded to this a long time ago. Yes it's spendy, but when I consider the amount of time saved waiting for the old PC to catch up, it's well worth it.

Now I can work up my arrangement sketches in GarageBand, which is included with OS X MountainLion. That alone saved me hundreds in having to purchase new DAW software. I do all my scores in Sibelius, which runs so much better on the MacBook Pro. This little Mac will keep me going for many years.

It would have been nice to have an Ethernet port, but definitely not a deal-breaker here. Sure haven't noticed any problems with screen image retention. Maybe they fixed that. All in all, a great computer. No regrets.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 11, 2013
A lot of people complain about apple being too expensive, yet if you look at any other pic laptops with these specs your looking at around the same price. The build if this computer is amazing, solid build, not that cheap plastic used in most laptops.

Performance is outstanding, within 15-20 seconds your computer is on and ready to use. Doing anything in this computer is lightning fast, quite, doesn't get as hit as other laptops. The keyboard is top notch, I love typing on this computer. The backlight is awesome even during the day.

The display, outstanding! Other manufacturers do have displays with the same res. but they don't come close to apples technology. Editing is a breeze, your photos and videos just pop. There is an issue with Some, not all LG displays but if there is an issue the warranty will take care of this.

Once you unbox this and start using it, the price will never enter your mind again.

Amazons service is 10 stars, comes boxed so the computer has 0 room to move around.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2012
this is the most incredible computer i have ever seen/owned. i bought 2 of them and could not be happier. this is the future!
on November 27, 2012
I just love it, everything is amazing. Display is perfect, flash drive is quick, great webcam, mic and speakers. Highly recommended!
on July 17, 2012
Love it! I really enjoy working on this piece of equipment. As a computer programmer who has worked on a lot of different machines, I really like this laptop, and miss it when I'm at work. It's thin, light, has a great screen, and is very user friendly.

For those of you who are considering buying a laptop, consider this piece of advice: put your money into the screen. You stare at the computer's screen for hours and hours on some days; imnsho it is the most important component on any laptop. A crappy screen will give you headaches, eye strain, and fatigue. The retina display on this unit makes it easy to work on for a full day.

EDIT: Lowered this from five to four stars because I'm getting a lot of dead pixels on the screen.
on May 4, 2013
Excelent performance, so fast, the retina display is incredible, iluminated keyboard, is the best lap that i have been used
on April 27, 2013
powerful, light weight, thin, simply best computer i ever had, its amazing, just what i needed for my constant traveling
on June 21, 2015
The computer can get VERY hot. I worked around this by downloading smcfancontrol to keep it cool when it's plugged up.