1,098 Reviews

1,080 of 1,139 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, new processor runs cooler, beautiful screen
Customer Video Review     Length:: 4:55 Mins
I had eagerly been awaiting the new Mid-2012 MacBook Pro upgrade primarily because of the move to the new Intel processor, "Ivy Bridge." The 2.9GHz Intel Core i7 dual-core processor just makes this MacBook Pro fly. And it runs much cooler than its predecessors. I had my laptop running while on my lap for a couple hours and the bottom case was...
Published on June 22, 2012 by M. Erb

2.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly unimpressive compared with new MacBook Air
I purchased the newly updated 13" MacBook Pro and the newly updated 13" MacBook Air the day they were announced at WWDC and released for sale in June 2012. (My 13" MacBook Pro is the 2.9 GHz i7 model, and my MacBook Air is factory upgraded to a 2.0 GHz i7 processor and 8GB RAM.)

After using the two machines side-by-side for a couple weeks now, I can say that...
Published on June 29, 2012 by Farb Dannon

‹ Previous | 115 16 17110 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My first use from a long time Love!, August 18, 2013
This review is from: Apple MacBook Pro MD101LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I have always wanted a MacBook Pro.....always! Its seen in movies, sitcoms, prominent important people carry and use them and they are GREAT! I have been immersed in using this computer since i got it. When i finally held it in my hands i kissed it, yes i did. This computer is not cheap and represent an achievement for me. All the above aside this machine ROCKS! Very easy to use and understand, Ready right out of the box no long drawn out processes no sir. Apple is for serious users who want to do stuff and get somewhere and this vehicle is fueled and rearing to go. I downloaded from the Mac store the iWork suits and they have been great too. Its all true the Mac manual about what it does, it just magical to me and i will forever remember this first use from a long time love. GET THIS MACHINE

5.0 out of 5 stars I will never go back to Windows. Ever, August 17, 2013
This is probably the best computer I have ever owned. I love the form factor. It's durable. It's light. It's shiny and it's pretty. Don't hesitate. Buy one for yourself. You'll see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best "standard" of a notebook, August 16, 2013
I've owned many Apple notebooks since the PowerBook G4 era, quality, performance and durability are the main reasons I still prefer Apple. Mainly bought a 15.4" MacBook Pro as my older 13" felt cramped for working with audio projects and using an external monitor often was getting tiring. With most storage products shifting to USB 3.0, I felt it was perfect timing to shop.

Key highlight of owning a Mac is the iLife suite, iPhoto is still the leader of being a great photo album/management tool with some consumer friendly editing features, iMovie is the benchmark of easy to use video editing software and GarageBand went from being an audio recording platform for everyday users to adding more teaching lessons since '09. Out of the box you have a very nice ready to go creative machine.

Hardware features:
--15.4" screen(non-high res) is still great, I prefer 16:10 displays over the squished 16:9 displays. While I'm not a fan of glossy screens the way Apple designed the glossy cover over the screen it keeps the backlight from bleeding vs makers who put a glossy coating onto the screen panel itself. Viewing angle on glossy vs non-glossy MacBook Pros is better than most notebooks on the market.

--Processor, I know my review at this point is already "old" with Haswell(4th generation Core i) based computers reaching the market, Ivy Bridge(3rd Generation Core i) Quadcore easily crunches through encoding/decoding vs dual-core.

--Graphics processor, this is the only reason you'll want a 15" MacBook Pro/Retina MacBook Pro is the nVidia graphics as it can handle running software which are GPU dependent(animation, editing software and gaming). I can admit if you plan to do light gaming, consider using Boot Camp to run Windows 7 as you're able to use the newest/better nVidia graphics drivers--Apple only updates graphics drivers with software updates or new OS releases so performance can vary.

--Bluetooth, in an era where most computers have this optional, Apple has always made this standard on their notebooks since 2004. Often I use this to sync my phone contacts/calendars/to do lists.

--USB 3.0, this was my 2nd excuse to get a new Mac. Backups and transfering large projects via USB 3.0 is much faster than past Macs with USB 2.0.

--Thunderbolt, at the moment you're either seeing PCIe expansion solutions for audio/video professionals or RAID storage products. With USB 3.0 being cheaper, I'm starting to worry this will fall into Firewire territory of only select groups of owners actually use it. Beyond highspeed, most users will use this for a 2nd monitor.

--Firewire 800, looks like this could be the last Mac with it built-in based on the direction Apple is shifting towards. I use audio interfaces with Firewire so this is important. Older Mac owners may also still use FW400/800 external hard drives.

--DVDRW Drive, some of us still use/need the drive and wasting bag space to carry one isn't ideal.

Overall this is the only option for an aftermarket upgradable portable Mac. I didn't bother making notes on the memory/HDD as I cloned the HDD to a WD Black 750GB and installed 16GB of memory. Since everybody has different work/lifestyle requirements, sooner or later you'll feel the stock 4GB of memory isn't enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac 13.3 is a good buy, August 14, 2013
Great laptop. Runs real quick. Photoshop and I movie are big features. If you are into photo and movie editing a mac is a good option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, August 13, 2013
I have owned several PC laptops in the past and I gotta say none of them have even come close to competing with this incredible machine. The exterior is absolutely gorgeous. The backlit keyboard is a great feature not to mention the key spacing makes typing so natural and easy. I also like how the rear apple logo stays lit while the laptop is on. When connected to Wi-Fi the Internet runs blazing fast and the screen quality is bright and crisp. Even after comparing this model with the MacBooks with retina display the little difference I saw didn't seem worth paying several hundred dollars more. 500GB is plenty of hard drive space for my needs and later on I might upgrade to 8GB of DDR3 memory but for now I'm very happy with its performance. I know some PC fans are hesitant to switch to a different operating system but honestly it's very easy to get used to especially if you've owned other Apple products in the past (i.e. iPhones, iPods etc...) The one and only thing I would change to match that of the PC laptops is on a MacBook tapping the touch pad does not serve as a "click" on a program. That's definitely a minor complaint so don't let my nit-pickyness discourage you. Sure MacBooks are a little pricey but take my word for it the investment is well worth it. These computers last on average 5-6 years which is way better than paying a little less and buying a PC laptop that is likely to break in a year. So if you're looking for a great laptop with amazing versatility get this one. You will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, August 5, 2013
Im an apple lover, so of course I love this computer!!
Definitely worth spending the money on it.
would recommend!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of kit, July 30, 2013
This is a really nice piece of kit. Its stable, screen is great and clear and with the right adapter connects to any projector which is useful and looks really stylish when giving presentations or lectures etc. Is a must buy with iWork. Plus I found a good book on getting started and using macs Mountain Lion Macs (Computer Training)

5.0 out of 5 stars Initial problems but all around great machine, July 19, 2013
I bought my MBP 15" on Amazon to be able to put Windows 7 on it with Bootcamp, and if things went awry id still have their great return policy to fall back on. I wanted the familiar Windows OS with the hardware the MBP had to offer, but initially ran into a few problems. I'll post the problems and their solutions that I discovered in case anyone else runs into similar problems.

1. After installing the drivers for Windows, my webcam didn't work. It said that the drivers were not installed yet even after I downloaded the most recent driver package from Apple.
Solution: it turned out to be pretty simple. My previous laptop had software preinstalled that controlled the webcam and added effects to it, and I erroneously thought that since my MBP didnt have this program that the webcam wasn't working. After installing the drivers my webcam actually worked fine with Facebook chat.
2. The MBP got REALLY hot when running windows 7. This couldnt be good for the computer components, but also posed a fire risk.
Solution: while on windows I installed a program called MacFan (just google it) that after typing in a few commands in the command prompt allowed me to turn up the fan speed indefinitely to significantly cool off the laptop. While in windows the fans aren't correctly utilized according to CPU usage so you'll have to do this process upon each startup. Just search on YouTube "how to install macfan" for thorough instructions.
3. Videos on youtube while in windows do not expand fully to the screen, instead leaving black bars on the bottom and right sides.
Still haven't solved this. I'd expect adjusting the screen resolution would have an effect but I haven't tried this yet.
4. The battery life decreased from 7 hours to about 2.5 hours while on Windows.
This couldn't be solved either. It's just how windows works on the Mac. The only solution is to turn the brightness down, etc.

5. When I click an icon on the taskbar, its title flashes over it. (not the biggest deal but its annoying)
Updated my Nvidia drivers from their website and it solved minor graphics problems.

As for my actual review of the MacBook Pro, I am very satisfied. I run both windows 7 and mountain lion on it through bootcamp (helpful detailed instructions can be found on YouTube). That way I have the ability to run all my old games and programs on windows while having the Mac side to use for top notch picture and video editing, plus the App Store. I've always preferred the relative simplicity of Microsoft office 2007 for windows, so I use that.

After adjusting trackpad and click settings on the windows side, navigation is easy and fluid. The separated keyboard buttons took some adjusting to but that's not any issue. The screen is bright, clear, and rich while the backlit keyboard helps for typing in dark environments.

It's about 2 pounds lighter than my previous laptop and significantly thinner, and what I'd consider to be portable. Ill be using it at college next year and will report back on just how portable it is.

Graphics, processing, and RAM are all lightning fast and should be useful in intensive software that ill be using. The only problem I've noticed is that after partitioning the hard drive, startup takes a little longer (around 22 seconds total).

The power cord is portable and extendable, while its nice to still have the optical drive, Ethernet port, and card slot. Only having 2 USB ports so close in proximity is a minor issue with larger thumb drives, etc. but I may just purchase a separate hub.

All in all, you won't regret buying this. The higher cost will pay off well in a long computer life. Thanks for reading and feel free to ask any questions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, July 19, 2013
FAST, QUITE, AMAZING.
I am 17 and took a risk with my savings and finally bought a computer for my senior year in high school. I wanted a computer that was quite, fast, and that had overall great performance. This is it. Why not 5 stars? Well the battery lasts about 5 hours, I think when they mean 7 they mean on the darkest setting etc.... It should be up to 7 hours. Amazing comp, you won't be disappointed, cannot wait to take to college.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop, June 30, 2013
This was a present for my Grandson's Graduation. His first Apple product, He really likes it, just now getting familiar with how to properly operate it. I have several Apple products, love the products.

‹ Previous | 115 16 17110 | Next ›