Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Capacity: 750 GB Storage|Style: 13.3-Inch Display|Change
Price:$1,689.00+ Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 6, 2012
The Macbook Pro is the premier choice for college students. First off, I would say that 75-85% of the Mac's on my campus are Pro's, rather than the Air version.

Why?
Weight isn't as big of an issue as they make it out to be.

Performance is much much better on the Pro, especially if you install an SSD on it. (150$ish)

The Bad
I would rate the mac as a 4 star simply because not all the software I need is available to Mac's. Purchasing Parellels to run Windows fixes the problem, but that's just another added cost to the already high price. Also, it is a pain to sync up a Droid phone because Mountain Lion isn't compatible with the Droid software yet.

The Good
The good news is the resale value is so high. You can spend $1,300 on a mac, and 3 years later still get 700+. A windows version will set you back $800 or so, and constantly have to be updated, and the value after 3 years will be 300$ if your lucky. This means a great deal to me as a college student, because I want something that will last a few years, but one that will also have a high resale value. Apple software in general is much easier to use than Windows also, so it is more user friendly.

All in all, I highly recommend Mac's to college students. (Especially to Graphic design/Communications majors)
on January 5, 2013
I decided to buy a few notebooks for my nephews for Xmas. I bought this one for my 11 year old and the MacBook Air for my 9 year old. The Air is my favorite for traveling since it is under 3lbs. The Pro however may be better suited for older kids with an included CD/DVD drive and burner. Since my nephews are young, I wanted small notebooks that could take a beating and they had to be 5 star quality but not too expensive. The Apple notebooks fit the requests and the nephews could not be more happier. If you are planning on a notebook in 2013 for your child, the majority of kids want Macs and with Apple making them affordable at $1100 each, the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air are the way to go.
on March 31, 2016
I got this in 2016 for a Sister of mines and this laptop still demonstrates the capabilities of a premium device. Compared to the newer Generations it still tends to match up once you install an SSD. For the price I can't complain. Would recommend to anyone looking for a Mac laptop.
on October 3, 2015
This is a great laptop and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to buy an entry level Apple product. It is lightweight, and has great tutorials for learning the different keyboard strokes. Also, the Apple Stores have classes! There are many things I still have to learn about, but am impressed with what all it does do! I did, however, buy the Microsoft Office Suite for Mac, because I needed to get up and running after my desktop crashed and knew it might take time to adapt to the Apple versions of those products.
on November 2, 2015
I thought long and hard about which Macbook i would buy and I decided that the upgradablity of this model was a big plus. I am extremely happy with the battery life, the price, and the quick shipping. I just wish that it was capable of using the newer models cases.
on August 9, 2015
I bought this laptop under the selection "NEW." What came instead was a computer with a kid named John Schudemacher's picture in a login that was password protected. I was unable to access the computer I spent nearly a grand on. I sent it back and now am awaiting a full refund.
on December 13, 2012
Haven't really had much opportunity to work with this, but thus far it is great. Compared to the Windows 8 upgrade I just did getting this machine ready to go is a snap. Only took about an hour of time to load & upgrade everything I wanted initially. Try doing that with Windows. I am a former Windows person, but I am quickly moving to a MAC
on May 29, 2014
I'm a 52 year old who just purchased this new in box. I wanted the dvd superdrive built in, dedicated memory and "older features" as they are now called in 2014. I adore this laptop, am a former Windows user and have always hated it. THIS is wonderful, it NEVER catches a virus, has a beautiful display and is super fast. A 15" display was too big for me as I'm a smaller person and wanted to be able to take this with me without using a larger bag. It's perfect! I purchased a full body hard plastic case with rubber key cover in red and get all kinds of compliments. Macbook Air and the others just won't cut it for me as now you have to buy the super drives separately, ext. This was beautiful and ready to go 5 minutes out of the box! <3
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2012
I have been a PC user for most of my life. I used windows XP, windows Vista, and Windows 7 extensively. Most recently, I put Windows 8 on my old Dell laptop in an attempt to breathe new life into it. This plan ended when the hinge holding the screen on finally gave out. I purchased this computer from Amazon during the Black Friday sale, and got a much better deal than Apple was offering. Though the computer ships with Lion instead of the current Mountain Lion OS, the free upgrade that Amazon describes was processed and approved by Apple within about 10 minutes. The computer arrived very well packaged and in perfect condition.

Hardware: The Macbook pro's physical form is wonderful. Not only is it beautiful, but it feels really solid. Screen is bright and gorgeous. Trackpad is nothing short of dazzling when compared to competing Windows systems. Wake up time is very short. Sound from concealed speakers perfectly adequate for normal listening.

Software: Though I was excited to try Mac, I was a little apprehensive. I have been a PC person for many years and feel really comfortable navigating Windows to accomplish tasks. Not only is Mac different, but Mac programs (in my experience) typically expect you to think in a slightly different way when trying to figure out how to do something new. I was a bit worried that I would experience some frustration. My fears, however, were unfounded. The system is amazingly intuitive, and, after a short learning curve, you begin to feel like Mac is a big improvement over Windows 7, and that Windows 8 is an unsuccessful attempt to recreate Mac successes. For example, I feel like the new Start screen is analogous to the Launchpad, but more cluttered and a bit clunky. Anyway, the transition is not difficult, and the experience trumps Windows easily.

WHY THE MACBOOK PRO, WHY NOT THE AIR? I did consider purchasing the Air instead of the Pro. I was attracted to the all flash architecture of the air. Solid state drives don't wear out, even after 5+ years of operation. Also, lugging around a heavy computer just in case I need it is a peeve of mine, with the result that I often don't have my computer when I need it. The Pro is by no means a heavy computer, but the Air is remarkably light. I don't really believe I would have ever missed the optical drive, as I still have a desktop that I can use to burn CDs/DVDs and to store massive files that would overwhelm the relatively small solid state storage of the Air. Why, then, did I get the Pro? Longevity for one. I expect a laptop to last around 5 years at this point. While the base Pro and Air have similar performance ratings, in two years I can open the bottom of the Pro and easily and cheaply upgrade the RAM. I also plan to put in a solid state drive at that time. This can all be done more cheaply than paying Apple for the upgrade right now. Also, though I understand why it may be reasonable to make the Air without an Ethernet cable, my office at the university does not have Wifi. There are no plans to expand coverage to my office and I am not permitted to expand the network on my own. This means I am restricted to ethernet connection. I realize that there are USB and Thunderbolt adapters for this, but I would need to use this adapter literally every day. In the end, I don't think it would be worth the hassle. Also, some users report issues with getting the Air to use these adapters, a situation which would be extremely negative for my work situation even on a short-term basis. In the end, these reasons led me to get the Pro over the Air, and I am highly satisfied with my decision. The relatively greater mass of the Pro is not an issue, as the computer is still highly portable, and not having to mess with the ethernet adapter is a pro that I am already grateful for.

Overall, my experience with this computer has been great. I would highly recommend the switch, and I will not be returning to the Windows platform for the foreseeable future.
55 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2014
I have been getting increasingly frustrated with my PC laptop always being slow. I've had it for 5 years, and this one replaced the one I had for over 5 years prior. I had gotten tired of always getting anti-viruses, slow speeds when I had multiple tabs open, and always trying to defragment or clean it up because it performed poorly. I've been itching for a MacBook for years, and when I got the amazon card with no interest for a year, I grabbed it. So far, I've had it for almost a month, and I love it. I really haven't used it to it's full potential yet, but I enjoy how not only is it VERY light, but I can use it for an entire day without charging it, unlike my laptop as it got older. (Near the end I couldn't have it unplugged for longer than an hour, so imagine if I wanted to move from room to room.) I hope to have an update in a few months to see how far I've come, but I have no complaints so far.