on March 16, 2013
Ok im not a real technology geek but i do know a lot about this computer and i must say it is amazing and by the way i have the newest version that came out a week ago with retina display and it is fast and it does things no other computer can do it brakes the barrier between computer and art. this thing can do anything and i do mean anything this thing is amazing my life is more organized loving apple more than ever right now and will be for a very long time. if you are looking into other computers no that whatever you look at remember apple is 1000 times better, and this computer will do things better than any computer this thing is fast beautiful clean and sleek with a amazing screen my pictures are more beautiful than ever and this computer has a amazing editing system for pictures and almost everything else. It has a amazing key board because it is back lit with fiber optics plus the sound system is so amazing it sounds better, crisper ,and louder than any computer out there and well i guess you pay for this but it is worth it and iTunes is really the worlds best computer. this also has a amazing track pad and don't get me wrong i used to use a mouse for ever but now i use this and i will never go back it is amazing and i will never go back and yes it is worth repeating twice. All of the features in this computer are top of the line and the materials like pure aluminum casing this is truly remarkable that they could put this into a computer and i promise you will like it and apple is so responsive if you have any questions they are there for you promise. this computer is really great but here is just a suggestion get the 13 inch one because the 15 inch is a little to big and i now this because my friend has a 15 inch and they wish they got the 13 inch like me but they still love it and this is still awesome to so don't get me wrong this is a great computer to. All I haft to say is go with this computer and don't regret it because it is awesome.
on January 19, 2013
This is not my first Mac computer, and certainly will not be my last. Before I begin, I will say that I am not like a good percentage of the people that will end up writing a review on this computer - I am not an Apple fanboy. I have owned many PC computers as well, and like them too. I currently own a Lenovo laptop as well as my new MacBook Pro, and each have their own strengths and weaknesses.
To start with the strengths:
1. OSX Lion is a great performer..extremely fast and reliable. I have it installed on my iMac desktop computer as well and love it. Not to mention this comes with a free upgrade to Mountain Lion, which is very nice.
2. Screen looks great. Even though it is not the Retina display you can get on the 15.4 inch model, the screen is fantastic. Very bright and crystal clear with excellent color.
3. Quietest laptop I have ever owned. Keeps quiet even when the computer is under a heavy load.
4. First computer I have owned with USB 3.0. I bought an external hard drive when I purchased this laptop as well so I could utilize the USB 3.0. I got the hard drive yesterday and transferred all of my files from my old laptop to the new hard drive so I could put them on my MacBook. It took about 1/5th of the time it did with USB 2.0.
5. My Lenovo laptop does not have an illuminated keyboard, so the keyboard on this laptop is a big plus in my opinion. Excellent for people that like to work or surf the web while their significant other is sleeping.
6. The trackpad - can't even compare it to any trackpad I have seen on any other laptop computer.
7. Excellent battery life while being a very fast performer. It definitely has the best of both worlds. I average about 6 hours on a charge. My Lenovo (with similar graphics, processor, etc. and same use) only lasts about 4 or 5 hours on a full charge.
8. Typical Apple simplistic styling. I love the look of the Apple products. Simple and clean.
9. Many, many more...but those are the most notable ones to me.
Now, for the weaknesses.
1. The only thing I dislike about this laptop are the rubber pads found on the bottom of the computer for grip. They may get softer and more sticky as time goes by, but right now they are far from that. The pads on the bottom of my Lenovo are definitely much better and don't allow the computer to slide around while I am using the computer on a glass topped desk.
2. Price - it's a bit pricey for the performance you get, but the added perks of Mac OSX and the durability and support of Apple products makes up for it. For the same price, you can get a PC with more memory, larger hard drive, better graphics, and a faster processor, but then you remember you're running Windows 7, which isn't nearly as well built as Mac OSX.
In conclusion - this is a great laptop. Although it is a little pricey, it is well worth the extra money. So far, the only issue I have with it (rubber pads) is a very small problem that does not change how this laptop performs in any way.
If you are thinking about getting a MacBook Pro laptop but do not want to spend a huge amount of money for one, this is definitely the way to go. It may be considered the "base model" MacBook Pro, but it still an excellent computer. The size and battery life of this computer makes it excellent for people that need a laptop that is very mobile. Between work and college classes, I needed a lightweight yet durable computer and this definitely fits that criteria.
on December 24, 2012
I was looking between different combinations of Dell and Apple. I found it toughest to decide between Dell ultra books and Apple. There is nothing wrong in Dell but I preferred Apple 13.4" Display 500 GB Hard Drive, 4 GB memory and Intel Core i5 Processor (3rd gen).. This is best laptop.
1. Although there is a small learning curve for Mac OS to get some hands on - but as I am familiar with Linux I am very comfortable with Mac OS... this is the only thing I see difficult with Mac Book .... and this is advantage in other sense coz you will be amazingly in a new world of OS and features...... and even if you are too restricted to MS Windows, you still can have partitions and Windows installed virtually or through boot camp... with all native speed...
2. Macs never crash... I never see any application taking too much to respond and going nasty ....
and same applications I saw going goofy on my other laptop which carries Windows with similar hardware.
3. There are no issues at all with internet security and virus attacks... I don't even have any anti-virus ...
4. If you are restricted to Word processing applications like MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, you can have MS Office on Mac just in $119... but if you are not restricted but still want this capability, Open-office can solve all your problems...
5. You can make Mac virtually same as Windows if you are Microsoft fan.... I am also Microsoft fan and doing the same....
6. Incredible display, laptop size and weight.... great battery backup...
7. accept trusted content only e.g. tools, software etc.
8. No other brand has touch pad like Mac .... you don't even need lot of keys from keyboard or mouse when you have MacBook touch pad with you
1. Cost is more as compared to other brands. Other brands can come with higher configurations in same cost.... but Mac is Mac
2. learning curve for OS and other features
3. less free stuff compared to other communities... accept programs from trusted developers only
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
on December 16, 2013
Just switched from PC to Mac. Never been happier using computer. The perfect partner for work and entertainment. Easy to use, user friendly, tremendously fqst, smooth and even beautifuly designed. The experience of using it is a pleasure in itself.
2 of 3 people found the following review helpful
on October 13, 2013
I am one of those people who had the problematic 2010 version of the MacBook Pro. The ones that overheated and died an early death. Also based on my past excellent experience with mac computers I did not purchase an extended warranty. My MacBook Pro died about a month ago and I almost did not get another one. Unfortunately I had become a mac addict because when a Mac works it works very well. My Windows based computers were always crashing, usually about every three months. The worst a Mac ever did to me was freeze up.
My new Macbook Pro arrived yesterday. I normally DO NOT write a review until after I have used an item and on a computer I wait 3 months. I am breaking that rule today because there has been some IMPORTANT CHANGES that I feel people need to know about especially those folks like me who have had a bad experience with this line of macs.
This Macbook Pro RUNS FAR COOLER than any mac I have ever owned EVEN WHEN THEY WERE NEW. This might be because of the new i5 processor. It might be because Apple re-engineered them and cured whatever it was that caused the problem. I don't know. All I know is that even my longest lasting macs always ran fairly warm and that 2010 model ran hot all the time. In my opinion this should make these new macs run far longer than the old ones especially if you get the solid state drive( I did not).
This Macbook Pro has my other Macs beat on speed even when they were new.
I will update this review and report any problems I come across. If you see no updates it's good news. One thing is for sure. With this Mac I am purchasing the extended warranty through Squaretrade. Apples warranty is too expensive and only runs 3 years. At one time they offered 5 years. The Squaretrade warranty goes up to 4 years and is about $50 cheaper.
2 of 3 people found the following review helpful
on November 8, 2012
I had never considered buying a Mac because of the high price. However, after having several other Apple devices over the years and enjoying the lack of errors and problems with the devices and the OS's, I gave it more consideration as I approached buying my very first laptop (after having over 20 years experience on desktop PC's). I saved about $300 buying it on Amazon rather than elsewhere (no sales tax, big discount and $3.99 overnight shipping with Prime). The machine is brand new and it came installed with the Mountain Lion OS.
The screen is excellent, it boots up fast. USB 3.0 is very fast. The trackpad works far better than I had anticipated. The gestures are amazing. The OS is very different than Windows, but is not hard to navigate. I store my regular 'Work in Process' documents on Dropbox, so those were a cinch to pull over. I still have to migrate my pictures and music to the machine. All of my bookmarks in Safari that I created over the years on the iPad pulled over seamlessly. The integration with my other Apple products via iCloud is outstanding.
Everything from the box, the instructions, initial setup, downloading and installing software, the navigation of the OS....it all has a consistent and polished look. Before i bought this I felt like I was getting the 'low end' laptop from Apple. After using it for a few days I am in awe of the performance and design. The screen is the perfect size and everything pops on it. It is very thin and quiet! I haven't heard a fan yet. This is money well spent. Thanks!
Update 1: I upgraded my RAM to 8 gigs and this laptop is blazing fast!!! I can't believe it had the impact that it does. If this machine continued to run just like it does now, I won't need to upgrade for years to come. I used the Crucial brand and recommended specs so I don't screw with the warranty.
4 of 6 people found the following review helpful
on October 3, 2013
Two weeks shy of 1 year -- and thus almost out of warranty -- the logic board blew again. Counting the one this came with, this was the fourth to go down. Apple finally threw in the towel, and replaced the unit. While I appreciate this, it is something that should have been done after the first replacement failed. Apple's failure to respond appropriately cost me not only time, but a significant amount of money lost when commitments couldn't be met (backing-up work means little, I've found, when you don't have a place to recover it to. Repair turnaround on this laptop averaged a week or more.) As I see it, Apple had an identified problem (witness similar complaints across the web) and their delay in acknowledging that this problem was not "fixable" was not just inconsiderate, it was irresponsible. Apple is allegedly a premium brand -- and yet they offer not only a product with quality control issues, but just-fell-off-the-back-of-a-truck customer service.
Just had the second motherboard replacement -- and this laptop is not even a year old! Also had one power cord replacement, one track pad replacement, USB port replacement...you name it, it's blown. "Genius" (sic) techs also screwed up my data recovery -- all but the most recent hour had been backed up, but I needed it -- we tried to attached the external disk drive before they sent it in, but somehow they crossed a couple of wires and fried everything. I had to pay an outside company, recommended by the Geniuses, to do data recovery. Said company explained it was not unusual for the Geniuses to screw up in this way.
Searching the web, I see a lot of people have similar/identical problems with this model.
Obviously, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
However, if you want to take the risk, here are a few observations:
I sent for the 13.3-inch, which in retrospect is a little tight. I probably would have sized up.
I'm not crazy about the OS. It's not nearly as intuitive as they claim. And as for all the fancy finger swipes -- I just gave up and attached a mouse.
(I have been a Mac desktop user for well more than 20 years, and a sporadic Mac laptop user. Right now I'm typing this on a five year old Gateway -- it ain't a Mac...but then Macs aren't Macs anymore, either.)
4 of 6 people found the following review helpful
on September 3, 2012
This is my very first Mac and I made the switch from years of using Windows. I had been wanting a MacBook for three years before I actually had enough money to purchase one. I am a college freshman and I bought my MacBook Pro mainly for school and so far I am loving it! The screen is nice and very clean. The downside to the screen, however, is you can't see in direct sunlight (which is a problem for someone like me who likes to sit outside and do work on the plaza at my school) and it is a magnet for dust and lint. The laptop is very lightweight and portable; I rarely even notice it's in my backpack! The keys are very well lit and comfortable to type on and you don't hear the annoying click-clack that most keyboards make (a plus for someone like me who enjoys the quiet). The sound is nice and loud; I don't have any problems with hearing anything. One of my favorite things about it is that you can't hear it running. I've had this laptop for only a week now but I've had it running pretty hard with all apps open and it'll just get hot, but you can't hear the fan or computer running. This is perfect for when I'm in class taking notes because I don't get distracted or annoy others by the computer being loud and disruptive. I only have two complaints: 1) the laptop heats up pretty fast but it doesn't burn your leg or anything and 2) the battery indicator is very indecisive, meaning that the "Calculated Time Remaining..." isn't too accurate and it'll show only 4 hours left after I've completed a full charge and have my keyboard lights off and my screen at half brightness. Despite the battery life indicator, the laptop (at half screen brightness and half or less keyboard brightness) gets well over 8 hours of battery life, as advertised by Apple, which is PERFECT for me. I don't think a Mac is worth the $1000 but I do not regret spending it on this laptop one bit! Thank you, Apple, for creating a computer I can actually deal with!
on September 13, 2014
Ive had mine almost 4 years and its good till this day best computer i have ever had so far. Let me tell you i dont watch televison and ive been in bed for 3-4 years and its all use, constant netflix and youtube all day and everyday 7 days a week 8 hours a day plugged in. Ive been through one battery from all the use and wear and tear from constant streaming of video content. This thing is a beast like a timex watch never stops and smooth as can be. Fast and highly functional and programable and customizable. You can program each finger for a gesture that is the main reson i bought one for the gestures and control you get by using all of your fingers to flip through tabs and close screens. I use MAC PREFERENCES and JITOUCH download these two programs and you will have the best gesture control from your mac and the awesome trackpad. Apple makes the best laptop money can buy and the software is out of this world production quality with apple software is possible. Everyone should have a mac. Buy one you will be be sorry if you dont. Its a little expensive but its so worth it you wont need to get another one for years and years. Just get the biggest had space you can get and buy apple care if its your first mac or search online there are so many mac owners out there that you can get answers to alot of things but apple care i recoomend its also a little pricey after paying for the laptop but you have almost a year to add it for an additional two more years or three years in total so with that kind of support and hardware quality and supreme software its a wise choice to buy a mac you will save money in the long run and you can keep it because they last.
7 of 10 people found the following review helpful
on November 28, 2014
This model sells amost at the same price at Apple store, so there is no savings as the headline suggests. The 3 stars are not related product quality or features, it delivers what is promised, but they are to show that headlines should be realistic.