|Screen Size||15.4 inches|
|Screen Resolution||2880 x 1800|
|Max Screen Resolution||2880x1800 pixels|
|Processor||2 GHz Intel Core i7|
|RAM||8 GB DDR3L|
|Memory Speed||1600 MHz|
|Hard Drive||256 GB mechanical_hard_drive|
|Graphics Coprocessor||Intel Iris Graphics|
|Wireless Type||802.11 A/C|
|Number of USB 3.0 Ports||2|
|Average Battery Life (in hours)||6 hours|
Apple MacBook Pro ME293LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (OLD VERSION)
- 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz) with 6MB shared L3 cache
- 256GB PCIe-based flash storage; 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory
- 15.4-inch (diagonal) Retina display, 2880x1800 pixel Resolution; LED-backlit with IPS technology
- Intel Iris Pro Graphics ; 802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking
- Mac OS X Mavericks, Up to 8 hours of battery life
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
* Battery life is amazing at 8 hours.
* Display is incredible, pictures look like paintings on the screen. Using the Retina "more space" option, you get tons of real estate for running multiple apps. You can set up your display how you want, more space, larger text, or in between. Great options.
* i7 CPU and 8GB Memory gives you desktop power.
* Thin design, and very light considering the power inside.
* 802.11ac - the fastest wireless available if you have a router that supports it, like this: Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (ME918LL/A)
Some users have had bad experiences with the displays on this generation of macbook pro retinas - bad color representation or discoloration in small areas of the display. This should't be a problem anymore, it was only discovered among the newer units when this generation was introduced. Apple used both LG and Samsung to manufacture their Retina displays. It appears from research that the LG displays have had more problems. Again, probably not a concern any longer.
Some things you should definitely know:
* The memory and solid state drive are not intended to be upgraded. The memory is soldered to the main board and cannot be altered.Read more ›
That being said, this laptop is not worth the asking price. No doubt, it boasts highest specs in the consumer laptop market at the moment. However, there are some critical flaws:
1) Creaking noise: As mentioned by some of the other reviewers, this laptop is full of creaks. Whether because the chassis is so thin or because the bottom cover of the laptop is not screwed in tight enough, there is enough creaking to annoy even the least OCD person. The creaking is strictly a problem of aesthetics, but when you're plunking down an equivalent of a downpayment for a car, you should expect quality befitting the price.
2) Retina-ready apps: Despite being on the market for over a year, there's still abundance of non-retina ready apps and websites that make you just want to rip your hair out. I'm working for a company that uses a JAVA Applet, and the application just looks bad every time I use it. Even Microsoft Office 2011, which supposedly is retina ready, has some elements which haven't been completely redesigned for the MacBook Pro with Retina Display.
3) Performance: Even with the new Haswell processor and the IRIS integrated GPU, there are lags present in many website (Gmail scrolling...).
4) Screen Brightness: One of the first things i've noticed with this laptop is that the brightness is well below most high-end laptops in the market.Read more ›
Pros: Fast. Good battery life. Light. Thin.
Cons: Inconsistent display (probably doesn't matter to 90% of users). Non-upgradable hardware.
Cons (sort of): No Ethernet port, CD drive, DVI out. Wi-FI/USB DVD drive/HDMI are your only options there.
In some ways the satisfaction of any product is related to the expectations you go in with beforehand. With respect to anything in the bottom half of this computer, it satisfies or exceeds expectations.
I'm not a chiclet keyboard guy myself, but that's the way all laptops basically are these days. This is as good of a chiclet keyboard as any and probably better than many.
The touchpad works great once you switch it back to normal scrolling instead of reverse scrolling. I also recommend enabling tap-to-click. The giant button that is the trackpad is a little stiff. No 10-key numpad. May be annoying for some. I personally prefer Windows keyboards, but I'm not sure how relevant that is, since I hope everyone is aware that Macs have different keyboard setups.
Fast. Everything I've done on the computer so far has been as good as instantaneous. Wi-Fi works great. I haven't felt in any situation where the higher-specced Macbook would have been noticeably better.
As far as I can tell, lives up to everything promised. With light use (Internet, word processing, 70% brightness), you'll get a good 7-8 hours.
The problem comes with the screen. As far as I can tell, I do not have any of the ghosting problems of generations past. However, the screen is not color uniform!Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I was very worried ordering a refurbished MacBook. But I love it and it works great!Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
Perfect computer, every thing works perfect. Super fast shipping within 2 days arriving! Five stars!!Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
I love my Mac. I went through FIVE Windows-based PCs in THREE years. I had no choice but to go Mac and I'll never look back.Published 4 months ago by Sherry L. Burns
Great computer; definitely a better unit then my last MacBook Pro that lasted me 5 years.Published 4 months ago by Nicholas Ramsey
A great computer for my daughter at university, personally I would never buy an Apple product.Published 6 months ago by DERRY PEARCE
I've used this for 2 years now, Love this Laptop. still going strong and fast!Published 8 months ago by Sarah Maynor
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
See the Top Rated Laptops in our Laptop Reviews.