5.0 out of 5 stars Desktop power in an unbelievably small/light package
Published 5 months ago by BP

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price
Let me preface my review by saying, I own this machine. I am not one to write a scathing review for an Apple product just because it's an Apple product. I have an iPhone 5, an iPad Mini with Retina Display and this laptop. You can check my other reviews and see that I say plenty of good things about Apple products and accessories.

That being said, this laptop...
Published 3 months ago by Jay

5.0 out of 5 stars Desktop power in an unbelievably small/light package, November 11, 2013
BP (Imperial, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple MacBook Pro ME293LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (NEWEST VERSION) (Personal Computers)
I've been using macs for about ten years. I'm a bit on the technical side, but primarily I use my Macbook for e-mail, web browsing, word processing, photo editing, and some video editing. I also run Windows occasionally, as a virtual machine, using VMWare Fusion (like parallels). So far, this Macbook Pro (MBP) does everything I need it to do and I haven't met a limitation yet.

The good:
* Battery life is amazing at 8 hours.
* Display is incredible, pictures look like paintings on the screen. Using the Retina "more space" option, you get tons of real estate for running multiple apps. You can set up your display how you want, more space, larger text, or in between. Great options.
* i7 CPU and 8GB Memory gives you desktop power.
* Thin design, and very light considering the power inside.
* 802.11ac - the fastest wireless available if you have a router that supports it, like this: Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (ME918LL/A)

Display concerns:
Some users have had bad experiences with the displays on this generation of macbook pro retinas - bad color representation or discoloration in small areas of the display. This should't be a problem anymore, it was only discovered among the newer units when this generation was introduced. Apple used both LG and Samsung to manufacture their Retina displays. It appears from research that the LG displays have had more problems. Again, probably not a concern any longer.

Some things you should definitely know:
* The memory and solid state drive are not upgradeable. Both of these components are soldered to the main board and cannot be altered. When you order, think long term, will I need more memory or disk space in the future?
* There is no ethernet jack (RJ-45). If you want ethernet, you need to buy an adapter, like this Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. Apple did this because the RJ-45 ethernet jacks are huge, and it was preventing them from making the MacBooks thinner.
* There is no CD/DVD drive. Apple has moved away from supporting optical drives. Like the ethernet jack, the DVD/CD was a huge obstacle in making the frame on these systems smaller. If you want an Apple branded CD/DVD, you will need this Apple USB Superdrive. Keep in mind these won't support blu-ray discs, so if you want that, you'll need to buy another brand that supports blu-ray.
* On power management: If you want 8 hours of battery life, you need to let the OS manage all settings for you. If you start playing with the display brightness, display sleep time, etc, you won't get 8 hours.

Bonuses:
These systems now come with a nice bundle of Apple software for free.
* OS X Mavericks is the latest release of their operating system. It is free for any supported Mac.
* GarageBand, iMovie, and iPhoto, which used to be included in iLife, are now free to download and upgrade.
* The iWork suite: Pages, Numbers and Keynote are now free for new macs.

Remember to always check the Buyer's Guide at macrumors.com before purchasing a mac. There you will learn of any upcoming upgrades/releases that you might want to wait on before spending the cash on a new mac.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price, December 24, 2013

That being said, this laptop is not worth the asking price. No doubt, it boasts highest specs in the consumer laptop market at the moment. However, there are some critical flaws:

1) Creaking noise: As mentioned by some of the other reviewers, this laptop is full of creaks. Whether because the chassis is so thin or because the bottom cover of the laptop is not screwed in tight enough, there is enough creaking to annoy even the least OCD person. The creaking is strictly a problem of aesthetics, but when you're plunking down an equivalent of a downpayment for a car, you should expect quality befitting the price.

2) Retina-ready apps: Despite being on the market for over a year, there's still abundance of non-retina ready apps and websites that make you just want to rip your hair out. I'm working for a company that uses a JAVA Applet, and the application just looks bad every time I use it. Even Microsoft Office 2011, which supposedly is retina ready, has some elements which haven't been completely redesigned for the MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

3) Performance: Even with the new Haswell processor and the IRIS integrated GPU, there are lags present in many website (Gmail scrolling...).

4) Screen Brightness: One of the first things i've noticed with this laptop is that the brightness is well below most high-end laptops in the market. I googled to see if anyone else noticed the same thing, and sure enough, I read an article that said that the brightness in the MBPr has been reduced by as much as 20% from the MBP in the past in part due to battery life...

5) Battery Life: Which brings me to another annoyance with the MBPr: lackluster battery life. Despite the new Haswell processors sipping power, the battery life is hardly any better than the MBP 13" 2011-2012 that my sister has.

6) They keyboard has low travel. That is, when you press on a particular key, you kind of want that solid push/feel. It's a feedback that tells you, yes, you did indeed press the key. Compared to MacBook Pro Classic or even the MacBook Air, the keys on the MacBook Pro Retina doesn't push down as low. I had a hard time the first few days of using this laptop, but I've gotten used to it so I suppose it's not a huge issue.

-----

Don't get me wrong, this is a powerful machine that rivals almost any other laptop in the market. I'm going to keep using it until its wheels fall off. I only want to warn potential buyers that there are issues with the laptop which you should know about before pressing that yellow Add to Cart button.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great. Faulty screen., October 28, 2013
Jim An (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
Purchased October 23, 2013 from apple.com. Delivered October 25.

Pros: Fast. Good battery life. Light. Thin.

Cons: Inconsistent display (probably doesn't matter to 90% of users). Non-upgradable hardware.

Cons (sort of): No Ethernet port, CD drive, DVI out. Wi-FI/USB DVD drive/HDMI are your only options there.

In some ways the satisfaction of any product is related to the expectations you go in with beforehand. With respect to anything in the bottom half of this computer, it satisfies or exceeds expectations.

Ergonomics
I'm not a chiclet keyboard guy myself, but that's the way all laptops basically are these days. This is as good of a chiclet keyboard as any and probably better than many.
The touchpad works great once you switch it back to normal scrolling instead of reverse scrolling. I also recommend enabling tap-to-click. The giant button that is the trackpad is a little stiff. No 10-key numpad. May be annoying for some. I personally prefer Windows keyboards, but I'm not sure how relevant that is, since I hope everyone is aware that Macs have different keyboard setups.

Speed
Fast. Everything I've done on the computer so far has been as good as instantaneous. Wi-Fi works great. I haven't felt in any situation where the higher-specced Macbook would have been noticeably better.

Battery life
As far as I can tell, lives up to everything promised. With light use (Internet, word processing, 70% brightness), you'll get a good 7-8 hours.

The problem comes with the screen. As far as I can tell, I do not have any of the ghosting problems of generations past. However, the screen is not color uniform! There is a yellow tint on the bottom left and across the right side of my screen (alternatively, there's a blue tint in the middle and upper left of my screen). It's fairly faint and not something 90% people would notice in casual use, to be honest. But I'm color sensitive (check your color sensitivity by Googling x-rite color challenge) and I notice these things and I want to edit photos and video, so color uniformity matters to me. Anyway, I'm taking it to the Apple store this weekend to see if they'll exchange it, and will report back with an update.

Update: They will not exchange it at the Apple store because I bought it online (???), so I have to wait for a replacement unit in the mail.

Update 2: Got the replacement in the mail. So far as I can tell, the color issue is gone, but the viewing angle isn't quite as good. Worth the tradeoff to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long time pc user, first mac, January 18, 2014
For the last year or so, I have been using an iphone and an ipad. I have never tried an apple computer before, I have been using pc's since about 1984 exclusively and I know them well. Decided to go with a macbook based on comparing windows 8 laptops and the mac's at the local best buy.. The mac looked and felt like a higher quality machine. I am blown away with how it works. It does take a little getting used to but I think I am a convert to the Apple way now.
The things I like best are the speed of startup and speed of getting around online. I can't think of anything that I don't like about it. Yes the price is high, but you get what you pay for.
My son is a computer geek and I can barely pry this thing out of his hands. It is his first in depth experience with an Apple computer and he is sold on them too.
I would give my highest recommendation for this computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was not an Apple guy before..., December 16, 2013
This is the best machine money can buy. Don't settle for the smaller 13 inch version. You'll lose sleep and be thinking about this computer. It's faster and just down right dominant. It's worth the extra money to shell out and get what you deserve. A quality product that will last several years than that Dell or Sony you just bought on sale over Black Friday.

5.0 out of 5 stars great computer, January 19, 2014
This is an expensive computer, but it is worth it.
15" Retina display is awesome.
Computer is very fast. Huge upgrade over my 2010 Macbook. SSD is awesome, but wish that it was larger considering the price.

Overall very satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best laptop line out there, November 5, 2013
The Macbook Pro 15" Retina line (Late 2013 Haswell model) is hands down the best laptop line out there. The computer boots up almost instantly, I can have many different apps running at once, OS X Mavericks is gorgeous (as is the Retina display), and I'm able to play games such as Diablo 3, etc. at great resolution. The design of the hardware itself is beautiful (like everything Apple does) and if you have the money to spare, you cannot go wrong with this one! Very happy with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Choice, January 1, 2014
I bought this apple macbook and it really fits my expectations. The only thing I think they could develop better is the keyboard (distance from the border, design, so on, because sometimes my shoulders become tired of trying to fit the position). But as a gear is it great!

5.0 out of 5 stars expensive but it seems to be worth it, December 26, 2013
i recently bought a new 2013 mb air and gave it to the gf for xmas. so i bought this beast. can't tell much difference from the air to this, but of course it seems to be better quality and does perform better under stress . i currently use it as a desktop, hooked to a monitor. works just like an iMac except i can take it where i need it when needed. could use another usb port but thats what extenders are for. enjoy it for all i use it for. do not play games though. I'm sure an iris processor isn't built for that much.

supports 2 monitors well though also, minus that you have to buy the thunderbolt adaptor for 12 bucks each.

it better last 6-7 years for 1800 bucks though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop, December 3, 2013
Stunning screen, fast, all day battery life and all this in a beautifull package. I am very pleased with the Macbook Pro Retina, most certenly a step up from my 13" macbook Pro.

ARRAY(0xd98ad798)