5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!
I purchased the newest version (Early 2013) which had the upgrade to 16GB Ram and 512GB SSD.

Published 21 months ago by Christopher Gustavus

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad QA for a 2200$ Product. LG display model problems
I bought this product back in Aug 2012. As a computer it's awesome. Fast, light, awesome display and a decent battery life (about 5 hours with mixed usage).

Published 13 months ago by My 7th apple Product

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, February 27, 2013
Christopher Gustavus (North Fond du Lac, WI, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple MacBook Pro ME665LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop with Retina Display (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)

The notebook is extremely fast. Computer seems solid, boots in 10-15 seconds from off, sleep to ready in 4-5 seconds. It opens programs in no time flat. It is not light as an air book, but still defiantly lighter than previous models. The screen is great, bright, and responsive. With heavy use I get about 5-5 1/2 hours of use on the battery.

Some peoples complaints are the new power adapter, I will agree with them, the new adapter sticks out further and gets knocked off a lot. Not having a dvd drive, not a big deal...I dont think i've used a dvd or cd in a computer in a few years! If I need to I will just have to purchase the external.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful machine., April 21, 2013
I've never owned my own laptop (sure, I've been provided company laptops before but never actually had my own), and I'd just spent a lot of money on house repairs and I felt like I needed to get myself a little something. OK, a BIG something, but I'll be damned if it wasn't worth it. This is a marvelous device. Literally within two minutes of setting it up, I got an iMessage on the laptop which contained a video of my nephew which I clicked on and it started playing. I had to check around for cameras because I felt like I was in an Apple commercial. It just works. I really have nothing else I can say about it other than if you're in the market for a laptop and you can afford it, you might as well splurge. You won't be disappointed.

There was one little annoyance, though, which I thought was a problem at first but now that I know it's normal I guess I'm OK with it, and that is when the laptop wakes up from hibernation, sometimes it takes several seconds until it will let you enter your password and start using it. For that time period it looks as if it's just locked up. After some research it turns out this is because it saves everything in memory to the hard drive and the transfer of that information back to memory when waking up can take several seconds depending on what all it has to transfer. So, no big deal, I guess.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad QA for a 2200$ Product. LG display model problems, October 15, 2013

However, I gave it a 1 start because of a problem that happens with the models that have the LG display. The wireless antenna (located adjacent to the display cable) interferes with the display. The screen flickers all the time. At the begging, it used to go away when I restart the machine so I though it was a software bug. However, it got worse and now every time I connect to 2.4Ghz wireless network it flickers. Look it up in youtube and google (rMBP screen flicker).

2 other minor issues:

- LG display ghosting problem.
- It gets hot.

My advise:
- Before you buy it, make sure you get the model with the Samsung screen not the LG model. If you get the model with the LG display return it. It will give your hard time.

- Get apple care. Aside from the display, the fan seems it's about to fail. So having an applecare will protect your investment. I contacted apple regarding the wirless antenna issues since it's a design issue and my warranty expired. However, they don't have any plans to recall the defective units even though it's a wide spread issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars [WARNING] May not be the best choice for Windows 7 users, June 3, 2013
This is a fantastic laptop -- very similar to MBA in feel but much more powerful. However, if you are a Windows 7 user via bootcamp like me, this Retina Display version may not be the best choice (ie you may want to choose the regular MacBook Pro instead). The maximum resolution of 2880 x 1800 will make everything in Windows 7 look tiny. You can try to blow the DPI resolution from 100% to 150% or even 200%, but if you do, things will not look perfect -- ie certain things will look too big, certain things too small (relatively), certain pop-up windows have cut-off images, certain programs have cut-off menus, certain browser pages will have messed-up paragraphs etc. You can try the browser view enlargement but it still is a hassle and imperfect. The best way to fix this is reducing the display resolution to 1440 x 900 (ie making the pixel count a uniform half of the maximum). Now everything will look perfectly aligned in perfect proportions but now you are defeating the whole purpose of having bought the gorgeous 2880 x 1800 Retina Display (and paid 3 times normal laptop for that). If you reduce the resolution anywhere from the maximum of 2880 x 1800, you will see the screen dull, fuzzy and smeared -- much more so than laptops with originally lower maximum resolutions.

As for Windows 8, I have not tried and I do not know. I would appreciate if someone who did let me know if it would work at 2880 x 1800 without the need to blow up the DPI resolution. If so, I will switch to Windows 8.

This is something you will not see in the beautiful world of "demos" displayed in your local Apple stores since they will only have Mac OSX on these computers. But many people use these machines for Windows as well in the real world, and in so doing the "wow" factor will be severely undermined. I just wanted to warn you, since I am already regretting my decision. Plus the regular MacBook Pro is easily expandable and upgradable; this is much harder since everything has been soldered into the motherboard including the ram and the SSD. I am now using this machine at 1440 x 900, hardly a Retina resolution. Dear Apple, if you see this, please save us the Window 7 users by giving us an update patch.

Having said all this, since the original purpose (presumably) of this machine is for OSX, I am giving it five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars I purchased this product to help set up a small business and for my photography., August 29, 2013
As the title reads, I purchased this product to help set up a small business and for my photography. In both goals my Macbook Pro has been a big help, but I must especially mention my photography. I was months behind in RAW processing when I got this product. Well in a matter of days after receiving my Macbook Pro I was caught up. Keep in mind I also purchased Photo Ninja for processing ($129), a Datacolor Spyder3 I purchased with a rebate ($99 at the time with rebate), and a new Logitech mouse ($50) to help in this task so extra purchases were required for me to do this.

All in all, I am pleased with this product but I am especially pleased at the price I was able to get it for on Amazon. I saved about $500 getting it on Amazon with a better protection plan too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with my mac., September 2, 2013
I've been interested in IOS development for years (I've been a software engineer for over a decade). I finally buckled down & purchased a macbook pro, even though it's incredibly expensive by my standards. I purchased my macbook pro directly from Apple, but I thought I would go ahead & leave a review here on Amazon anyway.

Here's my thoughts on this device:

Pros
-it's very thin / sleek. everything is metal
-it's so thin it can't include a DVD / Blue-Ray (I had to get a super-drive for this)
-it's minimalistic; it has no number-pad, the keyboard is centered
-the battery life is amazing (vs other laptops I have used)
-if you're coming from linux or windows, you'll be amazed at how good the sleep function is (being able to close the laptop / open it & have it back running within a few seconds is incredibly convenient).
-the wireless seems to run faster than it does on my other notebooks
-i got a time-machine time-capsule / airport extreme -- the automatic hourly / daily backups are convenient
-the retina display is amazing
-the power of this machine is amazing for an ultrabook / i.e. for such a thin device, it's amazing that you can get near-desktop power

Cons
-it's expensive, but i got apple care. only they can support the device, so i went ahead & got their support
- everything on the device including the ram / flash storage, etc is soldered / glued in place. That means you can't upgrade this device, and this also means it's very difficult to repair

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of power, August 15, 2013
I bought this to replace my Windows tower computer. I needed enough power to record audio and midi in Cubase for my music business rap for me dot com, and I also wanted portability and low noise. I ended up buying the 27" Thunderbolt monitor too when I realized it was a docking station of sorts. That is, you can plug all your peripherals into the back of it, then connect your MacBook via a single Thunderbolt cable. So I plugged an external hard drive, firewire audio card, and multiple USB devices into the back of the monitor, and then plugged the MacBook into the monitor via the Thunderbolt cable. Viola, I found myself with the most powerful desktop computer I have ever owned.

What I like about the MacBook: great display, relatively light for its size, left and right speakers on either side of the keyboard for true stereo playback, incredible power (I can run a 50 track song in Cubase with multiple plugins and only 15% of the CPU is utilized!) , SSD drive (no moving parts - hooray for SSD!) , pretty good battery life (see below), it never ever crashes, it functions as an ultra powerful desktop or laptop (two machines for the price of one, if you ask me), fantastic integration with the Thunderbolt monitor, high speed connections (Thunder, USB 3) that will keep it relevant for a good 5 years or more (great investment).

What I don't like so much: it gets HOT when downloading large files, gets hot when doing other CPU intensive tasks, the battery life is good but not great (it is good for about 5.5 hours if surfing web etc; it's only good for a few hours if you're processing audio/video, etc), the left palm rest creaks (need to return it for another one), it stops downloading (or doing anything for that matter) when you close the lid (can't set it up to just turn off the display),

5.0 out of 5 stars It's everything I expected and more, February 25, 2013
unclespoon (Haymarket, VA) - See all my reviews
This is by far the best laptop I've ever owned. A 2.7GHz quad-core processor, 16GB RAM and (I opted cheap) 256GB flash storage makes for the fastest, smoothest computing experience I've ever seen! The design is superb, materials are by far the best in any computer, and the overall package blew me away. I've had powerbooks and macbook pros, but this is a whole new level. I love all the trackpad gestures, it makes operating the laptop very intuitive and easy. The display is incredible - I can't wait to get photoshop and final cut up and running! No, it doesn't come with a CD/DVD drive and I'm glad it doesn't! Besides, you can get a usb one for pennies on the dollar now if you really need to have a physical disc (I have one lying around that I haven't used in ages). Yes, it's expensive, but I honestly don't foresee ever having to buy another laptop! I'm sure at some point I'll replace the flash memory, but maybe 6-7 years down the road, and 16GB RAM will hold me over forever!

1.0 out of 5 stars Much Less for Much More Money!, March 21, 2013
T.S. (California) - See all my reviews
I'm a software professional and code day-in and day-out. I need lots of screen space (in pixels!) to view lots of windows at the same time.
Having an easy-to-view high-pixel-resolution display to work with is the single most important requirement for me.
Having lots of RAM and CPU-performance is the second important requirement, as I run multiple daemons, e.g. DB servers in the background.

When I ordered my new 15" MacBook Pro Retina, I wanted to upgrade from my dual-core MacBook Pro 17".
I ordered a fully spec'ed out version with 2.8GHz CPU, max RAM, max flash drive. Not exactly a cheap purchase.
I was very much looking forward to use the 2880x1800 pixel resolution on it, because I do need the screen space
in pixels sometimes (e.g. for coding, viewing SQL data, spreadsheets, or viewing/editing photos).

First impressions:

- the MBP Retina weights about 2.0 kg, vs the 2.9 kg of the 17" MacBook Pro)
-the MBP Retina's display is extremely glossy
- the System Preferences do not allow to change the resolution to more than 1920x1200
- there is no wired ethernet port on the MacBook Pro

My take on this:

The retina display is extremely glossy - which becomes even more obvious when compared side-by-side with my old 17" MacBook.
I will try to include pictures. In office neon-lighting or with windows next to you, you will always see very prominent reflections on the glass of the display.
This is super-annoying!

The system preferences do not allow to switch to more than 1920x1200 pixel resolution -- so as far as I'm concerned, the display is effectively 1920x1200
pixels and saying it is higher resolution is simply false advertisement on behalf of Apple!

If you have use-cases where you need the real display resolution (like photo-editing or viewing, or like my use case), Apple's "scaled" resolution of 1920x1200
just does not cut it! "scaled" means "scaled down", e.g. not true resolution.

It was my mistake that I did not catch the important detail in the technical specs that the new MBP Retina does not have a wired ethernet connector.
For a high-end laptop which people probably use to do actual work, and perhaps want to quickly transfer data in and out, a wired ethernet is a must.
Apple's lack of including a wired ethernet is really annoying me, because now I'd have to use an external USB3-to-gigabit adapter, which is bulky, and
which I have to carry around with me all the time. (Note: I do not want to use the Thunderbolt port for this, because I need to drive to external 2550x1440 displays).

The new MacBook Pro Retina is about 30% / 1kg lighter than the 17" MacBook Pro and it is also thinner.
But frankly, I could not care less if the computer does not have the technical specs that I need (e.g. anti-glare, high-res display and gigabit ethernet).

IMHO Apple's obsession with slimming down the physical footprint of the MacBooks is completely mis-guided, and typical of Apple's disregard for what the customer wants.
They always seem to think they know everything and can make choices for the customer. Sorry for the ranting.
But more importantly, this obsession of slimming everything down also leads to non-replaceable parts: no replaceable battery, no replaceable/upgradable RAM,
no replaceable /upgradable flash drive. This is a trend which is directly against the consumer's interest, and this should not be supported by the consumer.
To make things worse: if something breaks, you will have to send your computer with all data on it to Apple..

Conclusion:

I will return the MBP Retina! I'd rather have an old, dual-core 17" MacBook (also 1920x1200 resolution). seriously!
Maybe I can find a used last-generation 17" MBP with quad-core cpu.

I wish somebody at Apple would come to their senses, but they seem deeply occupied with their obsession to shrink the MBP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple - enough said, September 14, 2013
I need to replace my 5 year old 15" Macbook Pro. There was only 1 choice - the new Macbook Pro.