on February 27, 2013
I purchased the newest version (Early 2013) which had the upgrade to 16GB Ram and 512GB SSD.

The notebook is extremely fast. Computer seems solid, boots in 10-15 seconds from off, sleep to ready in 4-5 seconds. It opens programs in no time flat. It is not light as an air book, but still defiantly lighter than previous models. The screen is great, bright, and responsive. With heavy use I get about 5-5 1/2 hours of use on the battery.

Some peoples complaints are the new power adapter, I will agree with them, the new adapter sticks out further and gets knocked off a lot. Not having a dvd drive, not a big deal...I dont think i've used a dvd or cd in a computer in a few years! If I need to I will just have to purchase the external.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 21, 2013
I've never owned my own laptop (sure, I've been provided company laptops before but never actually had my own), and I'd just spent a lot of money on house repairs and I felt like I needed to get myself a little something. OK, a BIG something, but I'll be damned if it wasn't worth it. This is a marvelous device. Literally within two minutes of setting it up, I got an iMessage on the laptop which contained a video of my nephew which I clicked on and it started playing. I had to check around for cameras because I felt like I was in an Apple commercial. It just works. I really have nothing else I can say about it other than if you're in the market for a laptop and you can afford it, you might as well splurge. You won't be disappointed.

There was one little annoyance, though, which I thought was a problem at first but now that I know it's normal I guess I'm OK with it, and that is when the laptop wakes up from hibernation, sometimes it takes several seconds until it will let you enter your password and start using it. For that time period it looks as if it's just locked up. After some research it turns out this is because it saves everything in memory to the hard drive and the transfer of that information back to memory when waking up can take several seconds depending on what all it has to transfer. So, no big deal, I guess.
on August 29, 2013
As the title reads, I purchased this product to help set up a small business and for my photography. In both goals my Macbook Pro has been a big help, but I must especially mention my photography. I was months behind in RAW processing when I got this product. Well in a matter of days after receiving my Macbook Pro I was caught up. Keep in mind I also purchased Photo Ninja for processing ($129), a Datacolor Spyder3 I purchased with a rebate ($99 at the time with rebate), and a new Logitech mouse ($50) to help in this task so extra purchases were required for me to do this.

All in all, I am pleased with this product but I am especially pleased at the price I was able to get it for on Amazon. I saved about $500 getting it on Amazon with a better protection plan too.
on October 15, 2013
I bought this product back in Aug 2012. As a computer it's awesome. Fast, light, awesome display and a decent battery life (about 5 hours with mixed usage).

However, I gave it a 1 start because of a problem that happens with the models that have the LG display. The wireless antenna (located adjacent to the display cable) interferes with the display. The screen flickers all the time. At the begging, it used to go away when I restart the machine so I though it was a software bug. However, it got worse and now every time I connect to 2.4Ghz wireless network it flickers. Look it up in youtube and google (rMBP screen flicker).

2 other minor issues:

- LG display ghosting problem.
- It gets hot.

My advise:
- Before you buy it, make sure you get the model with the Samsung screen not the LG model. If you get the model with the LG display return it. It will give your hard time.

- Get apple care. Aside from the display, the fan seems it's about to fail. So having an applecare will protect your investment. I contacted apple regarding the wirless antenna issues since it's a design issue and my warranty expired. However, they don't have any plans to recall the defective units even though it's a wide spread issue.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 3, 2013
This is a fantastic laptop -- very similar to MBA in feel but much more powerful. However, if you are a Windows 7 user via bootcamp like me, this Retina Display version may not be the best choice (ie you may want to choose the regular MacBook Pro instead). The maximum resolution of 2880 x 1800 will make everything in Windows 7 look tiny. You can try to blow the DPI resolution from 100% to 150% or even 200%, but if you do, things will not look perfect -- ie certain things will look too big, certain things too small (relatively), certain pop-up windows have cut-off images, certain programs have cut-off menus, certain browser pages will have messed-up paragraphs etc. You can try the browser view enlargement but it still is a hassle and imperfect. The best way to fix this is reducing the display resolution to 1440 x 900 (ie making the pixel count a uniform half of the maximum). Now everything will look perfectly aligned in perfect proportions but now you are defeating the whole purpose of having bought the gorgeous 2880 x 1800 Retina Display (and paid 3 times normal laptop for that). If you reduce the resolution anywhere from the maximum of 2880 x 1800, you will see the screen dull, fuzzy and smeared -- much more so than laptops with originally lower maximum resolutions.

As for Windows 8, I have not tried and I do not know. I would appreciate if someone who did let me know if it would work at 2880 x 1800 without the need to blow up the DPI resolution. If so, I will switch to Windows 8.

This is something you will not see in the beautiful world of "demos" displayed in your local Apple stores since they will only have Mac OSX on these computers. But many people use these machines for Windows as well in the real world, and in so doing the "wow" factor will be severely undermined. I just wanted to warn you, since I am already regretting my decision. Plus the regular MacBook Pro is easily expandable and upgradable; this is much harder since everything has been soldered into the motherboard including the ram and the SSD. I am now using this machine at 1440 x 900, hardly a Retina resolution. Dear Apple, if you see this, please save us the Window 7 users by giving us an update patch.

Having said all this, since the original purpose (presumably) of this machine is for OSX, I am giving it five stars.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 11, 2015
Apple replaced the logic board, wiped the computer, did a fresh instal of the OS, and also a fresh instal of all the programs during the beginning of 2015. The GeekBench scores are the highest of any of the similar computers (at least on the day of my testing). But here's what's happening. The Macbook Pro Retina has a GeForce GT 650m with Cuda Technology and it can't handle editing in Premiere Pro with Cuda Acceleration turned on. Open CL, a second form of graphic acceleration on the Macbook Pro, has nothing to be worried about.

At the Apple Store on 1-10-2015, I was told that since the logic board and the graphic cards have been replaced that there is nothing they can do and they recommend contacting Corporate. This comes after they told me to buy a new logic board and that that would solve the problem. This comes after Apple did not listen, for over a month, about the possibility that they didn't properly build a professional notebook computer.

The computer displays a black program monitor screen, at random times, when the user edits footage with Cuda Acceleration enabled. It used to lead to an entire system crash and/or a Premiere Pro crash before the operating system was completely re-installed. My solution, since I bought the computer, was to edit in Open CL... However, there is a major difference in performance between Open CL and Cuda Acceleration.

For the Macbook Pro Retina, Adobe Media Encoder render times are about 20% faster with Cuda Acceleration than Open CL. The 2013 Macbook Pro Retina appears to be able to handle Cuda Acceleration in Media Encoder, but I have had a number of issues leading to program crashes on every project before the new logic board and operating system were installed. For over a year and a half, I actually never used Cuda Acceleration. Having sent every crash report and user data to Apple over that time, I truly expected an update of some sorts and it never came.

FYI: The latest Macbook Pro Retina uses the GeForce GT 750m... This is essentially the same graphic card that performs about 10 - 20% faster due to a new "boost mode." More importantly, it actually has the exact same number of Cuda cores. Having the same number of Cuda Cores means that the Cuda Acceleration is essentially the same when exporting or viewing video. To prove a point to Apple that their 2013 Macbook Pro Retina isn't functioning properly, I bought the latest computer with the 2.5 i7, 16gb Ram, 512gb SSD and I can honestly say that the 2014 model works perfectly fine with Cuda Acceleration turned on while editing in Premiere. I can also say that a proper render test proved the 2013 and 2014 model to be the exact same.

I'm new to this whole pay $2700 for a computer that your manufacturer didn't / can't test properly, so I will be contacting Apple and speaking with Senior Advisors, their Customer Support division, and will soon speak with their Corporate branch. I'm confident that the Early 2013 Macbook Pro Retina with a 2.7 i7 16gb Ram and a 512 SSD is nearly the same at rendering video and editing video, provided the Cuda Acceleration works, as their latest 2014 Macbook Pro Retina with the 2.5 i7 processor 16gb Ram, and a 512 SSD. It's truly a great computer and a great build, minus their current inability to properly test / diagnose their computer.

Knowing that the latest graphic card in the Macbook Pro lineup is essentially the same model, I feel that Apple is not directly looking into the viability and life span of their current Macbook Pro Retina product line. They can't test for performance issues relating to their graphic cards, so why consider buying from them when the end user is actually in a position to experience up to a 20% decrease in certain professional programs.

For future reference, I'd strongly urge other individuals to avoid purchasing Apple products if they offer Cuda Technology. In my opinion, Apple is an Open CL organization, at best, who is not responsibly manufacturing / producing computers that fit their organization's strengths. For a fact, they can't test their Cuda Technology and won't even attempt to address Cuda Acceleration errors for Apple owners (01-11-2015). I say this having walked out of the Apple Store on 1-10-2015 with virtually no support other than to contact Corporate.
on September 2, 2013
I've been interested in IOS development for years (I've been a software engineer for over a decade). I finally buckled down & purchased a macbook pro, even though it's incredibly expensive by my standards. I purchased my macbook pro directly from Apple, but I thought I would go ahead & leave a review here on Amazon anyway.

Here's my thoughts on this device:

Pros
-it's very thin / sleek. everything is metal
-it's so thin it can't include a DVD / Blue-Ray (I had to get a super-drive for this)
-it's minimalistic; it has no number-pad, the keyboard is centered
-the battery life is amazing (vs other laptops I have used)
-if you're coming from linux or windows, you'll be amazed at how good the sleep function is (being able to close the laptop / open it & have it back running within a few seconds is incredibly convenient).
-the wireless seems to run faster than it does on my other notebooks
-i got a time-machine time-capsule / airport extreme -- the automatic hourly / daily backups are convenient
-the retina display is amazing
-the power of this machine is amazing for an ultrabook / i.e. for such a thin device, it's amazing that you can get near-desktop power

Cons
-it's expensive, but i got apple care. only they can support the device, so i went ahead & got their support
- everything on the device including the ram / flash storage, etc is soldered / glued in place. That means you can't upgrade this device, and this also means it's very difficult to repair
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2013
I bought this to replace my Windows tower computer. I needed enough power to record audio and midi in Cubase for my music business rap for me dot com, and I also wanted portability and low noise. I ended up buying the 27" Thunderbolt monitor too when I realized it was a docking station of sorts. That is, you can plug all your peripherals into the back of it, then connect your MacBook via a single Thunderbolt cable. So I plugged an external hard drive, firewire audio card, and multiple USB devices into the back of the monitor, and then plugged the MacBook into the monitor via the Thunderbolt cable. Viola, I found myself with the most powerful desktop computer I have ever owned.

What I like about the MacBook: great display, relatively light for its size, left and right speakers on either side of the keyboard for true stereo playback, incredible power (I can run a 50 track song in Cubase with multiple plugins and only 15% of the CPU is utilized!) , SSD drive (no moving parts - hooray for SSD!) , pretty good battery life (see below), it never ever crashes, it functions as an ultra powerful desktop or laptop (two machines for the price of one, if you ask me), fantastic integration with the Thunderbolt monitor, high speed connections (Thunder, USB 3) that will keep it relevant for a good 5 years or more (great investment).

What I don't like so much: it gets HOT when downloading large files, gets hot when doing other CPU intensive tasks, the battery life is good but not great (it is good for about 5.5 hours if surfing web etc; it's only good for a few hours if you're processing audio/video, etc), the left palm rest creaks (need to return it for another one), it stops downloading (or doing anything for that matter) when you close the lid (can't set it up to just turn off the display),
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 25, 2013
This is by far the best laptop I've ever owned. A 2.7GHz quad-core processor, 16GB RAM and (I opted cheap) 256GB flash storage makes for the fastest, smoothest computing experience I've ever seen! The design is superb, materials are by far the best in any computer, and the overall package blew me away. I've had powerbooks and macbook pros, but this is a whole new level. I love all the trackpad gestures, it makes operating the laptop very intuitive and easy. The display is incredible - I can't wait to get photoshop and final cut up and running! No, it doesn't come with a CD/DVD drive and I'm glad it doesn't! Besides, you can get a usb one for pennies on the dollar now if you really need to have a physical disc (I have one lying around that I haven't used in ages). Yes, it's expensive, but I honestly don't foresee ever having to buy another laptop! I'm sure at some point I'll replace the flash memory, but maybe 6-7 years down the road, and 16GB RAM will hold me over forever!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 30, 2013
I had the 13" late 2011 MacBook Pro which I gave up to buy this. This new 15" is a pure work of art, it weighs less than my old 13" (even though it's bigger), retina display is so sharp every single letter in every font is displayed clearly. With 16GB RAM files may open by just hovering over them (well maybe not), but the speed, response and accuracy is mind-boggling, not to mention the ability to open and manage several files at the same time. It restarts in a coupla minutes, and it's a lot thinner than the old models, this 15 actually feels like a 13.

The silver look is extremely elegant and suave. Once upgraded to OS Maverick, no other laptop comes close.