4.0 out of 5 stars Back to the T-Bracket, for better or worse.
Published on July 1, 2012 by DJMoody

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but shamelessly expensive.
Gee, I mean, it is an Apple product, so it works as expected. No surprise. But for 74$??? That is just crazy. I bit my tongue and bought it anyway because I need one at work and one at home. But, come on, seriously??? 74$???
Published 7 months ago by YS Sheu

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to the T-Bracket, for better or worse., July 1, 2012
This review is from: Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter (for MacBook Pro with Retina display) (Personal Computers)
When Apple first introduced the Magsafe Adapter, they had a t-shape. The thinking was, if you accidentally tripped they would come out easily without taking your laptop with them. They eventually switched to an L-Shape, which didn't come out as easily, but was much more flush. For the magsafe 2, they have gone with a thinner design, but have gone back to the t-shape. Here are the advantages and disadvantages I've found.

Advantages:
- Much easier to come out than the L-shape (good for clumsy people like me that sometimes trip over cords, plus I do a lot of work in my universities library, where people are shuffling around desks.
- It's uniform. In some cases, the L-shape could only easily be placed in a certain direction. Often this direction was toward the user (inconvenient and poor planning on the designer of these case's part). With the t-shape, it it removes this inconsistency and makes placement universal.
- No more USB peripheral getting stuck. In magsafe 1, the size allowed for usb devices to accidentally get placed in the magsafe port. The thinner design prevents this.

Disadvantages:
- Doesn't work with older devices. You can't use this magsafe 2 power supply with any magsafe 1 laptops. You can pay $10 and use magsafe 1 power supplies with magsafe 2 laptops, but the reverse will not work.
- The T-design isn't flush. The magsafe 1 l-shape is, while thicker, a much more "sexy" looking connection. This unfortunately adds about half and inch of required space to the left side of your plugged in apple.

Overall:
Hopefully one day they'll make an l-shape magsafe 2 adapter. HOwever, there is nothing physically wrong with this device, it's just not as flush as I'd like. However, function beats form every time, and I haven't found a function that this design fails at, besides conserving space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Price for Genuine Apple Adapter is through Amazon, August 27, 2012
As you might be thinking too, I also looked around and considered buying from eBay or a used adapter as my spare for my MacBook Pro Retina 15"... So if you do your research you know that there are a lot of fakes out there and imitations that are sub-par in quality and could damage your $2500 laptop or worse, cause an electric fire and burn down your house... So I decided to get a genuine Apple one. Amazon right now has it cheaper than the Apple Store, at $73.99 (versus $79.99), so it's a no-brainer, being a Prime member, to order through Amazon for the 2-Day shipping and it came quickly. Sales tax in NY is unavoidable, and so my final cost was just a hair above $80 all told.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great on Macbook Air, September 28, 2012
B. Hagan (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Bought this as an extra adapter for home for my Macbook Air. Now I leave the original smaller adapter in my laptop bag and keep this one out on my desk. Bought the larger one since I don't take it anywhere and I can use use it if I get the Retina Macbook Pro.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meh... What can ya do? Great while it lasts I guess..., December 15, 2013
The cord is great while it lasts but I bought another one (3rd one) cause the last one broke and wire became shredded near the wire head that injects into the computer. This area is very sensitive and prone to breaking and dysfunction. Eventually the position/angle of the wire becomes so temperamental that it only charge in certain positions. I think it makes little sense to harp on here the problems with the Apple proprietary charger, won't do much good.
So I will suggest 2 things that may extend the life of your cable:
(1) Use the plastic clip that is attached to and traces along the cord. Make a loop near the neck of the wire head. Will help reduce shearing stress.
(2) Reduce the constant angular tension pull on the wire that occurs when the wire is dangling from a table/desk. I found something simple and clever on amazon that greatly helped with this problem. I bought "Quirky Cordies Desktop Cable Management for power cords" for $15 and I run my wires through it to keep them organized but mainly for my apple cord so it creates slack and isn't being tugged on constantly like usual.
(2b) So I keep my New/main cord stationary & plugged in at my desk and kept the base part of my old cord that works still and use that as my "Traveling" cord when I'm away from my desk. Thus I don't have to go desk diving to plug and unplug it all the time and just take the top portion with me when I need it along with my old base.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but shamelessly expensive., December 7, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic, November 27, 2013
This is an authentic apple product, It does exactly what it was built to do. save a few bucks and buy it here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for macbook pro 5,4, December 29, 2012
I thought it might work. Returned it. Came in original packaging. Got a refund.
I gave it 5 stars, my fault for ordering the wrong one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Major step backwards from the previous Magsafe, December 14, 2012
Over time this new power adapter has proven the most annoying thing about my MacBook Pro with Retina Display. It's such a step backwards. The previous version was so much more secure -- it still pulled out if you really tripped or yanked the cable but it didn't basically fall out with the slightest provocation like the original Magsafe and now this new one does. That's the whole reason they previously re-designed it in the first place -- becaise before it came out too easily. These are called LAPtops for a reason and I must have to re-plug this thing in 20 times a day as I use the computer on my lap and any movement causes it to shift up and disconnect. Or if I pick this up from sitting on a desk the cord always comes out even if it has caught on nothing. Why did Apple did fix what wasn't broken and break it again?

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, frays, but Magsafe is brilliant, July 4, 2014
Philip Edelbrock (Corvallis, OR United States) - See all my reviews
Ever since my 'toilet seat' iBook, I've had troubles with fraying of Apple laptop charger cords. I try to be careful but they always seem to fray near the laptop connector.

PROS:

- Magsafe connector! A magnetic connector seems like a no-brainer, but Apple championed it.
- Easy to see LED for charging status
- Tabs to wind the cord on the charger body
- Easily swapped wall-wart to extended cord design
- 85 Watt fast charging
- Attractive

CONS:

- Long history of fraying cords which could result in a fire hazard
- Charger body can get hot
- Expensive for what should otherwise be a simple AC to DC charger

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Great When It Works, May 19, 2014
The charger works great except that at the base of the charger the cord tears and wears out prematurely, I have had two previous chargers and both suffered from the same tears. Apple has yet to rectify this issue amongst the new Retina Mac book pro chargers a v

Rate and Discover Movies