NOTE
I bought this from Amazon and not through one of their third party merchants. It seems Amazon has stopped selling the genuine Apple adapter as of 9/29/2011. Use caution if buying form an unauthorized Apple reseller instead of Amazon.

INTRO
Published on January 7, 2011 by E. Kim

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the old style, if you can find one.
Published on March 20, 2011 by Joe Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on my pre-unibody 2008 MacBook Pro 15"! (Purchased from Amazon and not from a merchant), January 7, 2011
This review is from: Apple 85Watt Magsafe Power Adapter Mc556ll/a W/extention Cable for Macbook Pro (Personal Computers)
NOTE

INTRO
I needed a spare MagSafe charger for my pre-unibody 2008 MacBook Pro 15" and discovered that Apple no longer sells the model A1222 MagSafe 85W charger that came with my MBP. I was concerned that purchasing the newer replacement model MagSafe 85W Apple charger would not be compatible with my older generation MBP because of the complaints found online regarding incompatibility. This incompatibility was supposedly fixed with a firmware update to the older MBP but there were still online reports of this firmware update not allowing this newer MagSafe charger to work.

I was relieved to find that this newer model MagSafe charger does work well with my older MBP! I have not had any charging issues at all.

PROS
1. Works on my older pre-unibody MacBook Pro!
2. Same interchangeable parts and design as the A1222 MagSafe (except the "L" shaped connector at the very end that connects to the MacBook Pro)
3. Includes the longer extension power cord
4. Looks nicer than the older in-line "T" connector of the A1222 model

CONS
1. I have a Speck brand case over my MBP which adds thickness of about 1 mm which is enough to cause the MagSafe connector to not be seated completely. The connector still has just enough of a deep seat to allow charging, but the connection is not snug and can more easily be disconnected than when using the more in-line "T" connector.
2. Expensive

TIPS
You can still find online the older model A1222 85 Watt Apple MagSafe charger if you prefer the more in-line "T" connection, especially if you have a case like mine which causes the connector to not fit completely (although it is still functional).

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the old style, if you can find one., March 20, 2011
There is only so much you can say about a power adapter, as long as it supplies power there should be no problems. However, I have a serious problem with the connector of the new style MagSafe Power Adapter. I received the new design from Apple as a warranty replacement for my old one, so I didn't have a choice, but I suggest buying the old style if you can find one new-in-box. Here's why:

The new design still has the same great magnetic connection, but it connects to the laptop at a right angle, rather than straight out like the old design. This is great if you only use your laptop on a desk and you want the power cord to lay neatly out of the way, directly to the rear of your computer. However, I use my laptop while sitting on the couch, in coffee shops, and a variety of other places with power outlets in random locations. This frequently causes the power cord at the laptop connection to be awkwardly flexed in random directions, putting undue stress on the cord where it attaches to the connector. I can foresee this causing a break in the internal wires and possibly a bad connection in the future.

Secondly, because it is at a right angle, if you want to use the USB port on the left side of the computer (pre-unibody MacBook Pro), you can only position it with the cord oriented to the rear, otherwise it will block the USB port and the microphone/line-in port.

Lastly, because the new connector is very slim, it is difficult to grasp, forcing you to remove it from the laptop by pulling the cord itself, again placing undue stress on the cord.

I will caveat these statements by saying I'm using the new connector style with a pre-unibody/early-2008 MacBook Pro and not a newer model that these connectors may have been primarily designed to work with. However, judging from the photos on Apple's web site, you will have the same problems of awkward orientation and blocked ports on the current MacBook Pros as well.

Bottom line, I recommend buying a MagSafe Power Adapter with the old, "straight-out" design if you can find one. Otherwise, the new design works but takes some getting used to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good but one little annoyance, December 4, 2010
Flat out, I love the Magsafe power cords. They have prevented certain disaster many a time when my mac was on a table top and someone somehow tripped over the cord. If I still had my old Dell, I'm pretty sure the entire laptop would have been pulled off the table. But I digress. Upon losing my power cord to my MacBook Pro (late 2008) during a move, I promptly ordered a replacement.
I was well aware that this Magsafe power adapter appeared to be a little different, specifically the Magsafe head that actually plugs into your computer, but I figured the price was right and I didn't have any reservations. Upon receiving the item, however, I realized that there is one little annoyance. The old style Magsafe adapters could be plugged in in any orientation with no problem. This new style, however, if plugged in in a certain orientation will block your Ethernet port necessitating you to plug it in a different orientation (at least it does on the MBP late 2008 models - I'm not sure if the new MBP models have their recharging port located in a different location). No, its not a big infraction and I know I'm nitpicking but still...how did this get past the Apple guys?

Overall, its a minor issue which I feel doesn't detract enough from the item to warrant it 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Critique, April 14, 2011
I was a college student who had the charger for my 17'' MacBook Pro stolen at my university's Library and needed another one as soon as possible since all my work was on my Mac. I checked the Apple price and knew I couldn't afford it. I checked the amazon site but was a little worried if I would get a defective charger and waste my money. I ordered from the BetaMacs and prayed that I would get it as soon as possible in working condition. I was floored!!! I received the charger the first day I was to expect it in the mail and it was wrapped so well that it was spotless. I plugged it in and it works like a charm. I was worried that this would be a rip off, but I couldn't believe how wonderful the charger came in and I got it for almost half of what it was worth at the Apple site. I trust MacBooks for all of my emergency electronic needs. They are a top notch team.

5.0 out of 5 stars What is there to say, September 26, 2010
It works well. I have this for travel so I do not have to move the charger from my home to my briefcase. I do like that this one connects on a 90 degree angle which directs the cord to the back of the computer rather than sticking directly out of the side and being in the way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, February 23, 2011
W. Lewis (Davis, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I've been through 5 power adapters in the 2.5 years or so I've had my MacBook pro, the most recent I got yesterday (thank you AppleCare!). Apple seems to be utterly incapable of making a reliable power adapter. At least with my old iBook and Powerbook G4, I was able to get third party adaptors that were actually durable. Since Apple has patented MagSafe and refuses to license it, we're stuck dealing with Apple's adapters that put aesthetics over reliability.

These things die so frequently, you should consider them to be a consumable, like the battery. After a year, you're going to need a new one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not genuine, and works poorly, February 7, 2013
I bought this adapter quite some time ago, and it has plagued me ever since. I wish I had returned it as soon as I got it but it was a busy time and I just let it go.

First of all, this is not a genuine Apple Adapter. If you look at the label it is slightly different than what you see on a genuine product. That would not inherently bother me if the thing actually worked. However, the magnetic head of the cable seems to have a design flaw where it will not charge unless you push it hard into the computer and just the right angle. Move the computer and you'll lose the charge. There's really nothing to do about this asides adjust it every time you move your laptop or return the thing. I hate paying the outrageous prices for genuine apple adapters, but I will in the future, now that I've seen how these cheap knockoffs perform. Don't waste your money on this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Probably not genuine, July 6, 2012
Product cable was kinky (not like the one that came with my new Macbook Pro) and had spots of soiling on it. Rubber ferrule on cable going into charge block was split. Did not work first time tried. Second time I tried it the jack going into the computer got so hot I could have burned my fingers... some kind of short I think. I have no way of being sure if this unit was not genuine as it "looked like" a genuine charger, but if I was ever on a game show called "Pick the Knockoff", this would be the one I would choose. Luckily my expensive macbook seems to have survived without damage.

1.0 out of 5 stars Baaad quality, September 1, 2013
Cord died in one week, so this is just a cheap chinese stuff. No need to buy, spent more for a good quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Needed!, June 25, 2012
My old charger died and I needed a new one ASAP. After reading the reviews, I decided to purchase one from here. I couldn't have asked for a better price or a better product. The charger came within 3 business days of order and was factory sealed from Apple.