5.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the others...this is factory original Apple
Okay. So a number of people have written negative reviews about the Magsafe power supply for a MacBook Pro. I just received mine. My daughter needed a replacement because of the classic. "my dog ate it". Really, we have a 13 week old puppy and he chewed the connector off of the old one.
There are only 3 reasons someone would suggest that this is not Apple...
Published 22 months ago by T Rex

1.0 out of 5 stars Really, Apple?
These cords are so fragile and so expensive that it's ridiculous. None of these are safe for travel. I pack them in every way that every "expert" (or genius) has recommended I pack them and I've still gone through THREE of these things in 5 years. At $75 a piece, this is a ripoff.

I'm almost at that point where I'm done with Apple.
Published 13 months ago by Loren V. Burrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the others...this is factory original Apple, January 26, 2013
This review is from: Apple 85W Magsafe Portable Power Adapter for MacBook Pro - Retail Package (MC556LL/B) (Personal Computers)
There are only 3 reasons someone would suggest that this is not Apple original:

1) they wrote their review by mistakenly bringing up the wrong link on Amazon
2) Amazon mistakenly sent them the wrong item ( highly unlikely given their track record and the gazzilions they have spent getting their supply chain inorder)
3) they re smoking whacky tobacky

This item is factory original. It is the correct wattage for a MacBook Pro (85W MagSafe) and you best get the wattage right. It is not that the cheaper 60 watts won't charge your MacBook Pro, but it will degrade your battery over time. If you have had a previous MacBook and you try using the old charger you got with that one, it will work.....for a time. Don't be fooled by the fact that it will charge your new one. If you have a newer MacBook Pro, with anything larger than a 15" screen, you must get the 85 Watt one or you will significantly degrade your battery life. I have been in the technology industry and have friends at Apple. I called them before buyiing my daughters replacement charger. They know their stuff and I am sharing with you so that you make "good choices".

1.0 out of 5 stars Really, Apple?, October 15, 2013

I'm almost at that point where I'm done with Apple.

1.0 out of 5 stars Flimsiest cord ever!, February 27, 2014
I've been through three Apple 85W Magsafe portable power adapter in the 4yrs that I have had my Macbook Pro. The damage is always the same. The cord encasing breaks at one of the "necks" attached to the magnetic plug and the power supply. I had to wrap electrical tape to prevent any damage to the exposed wire. Apple should really make better cords.

1.0 out of 5 stars Probably the Worst Thing Apple Has Ever Made, February 25, 2014
I own a 2009 macbook pro. I cannot tell you how many of the stupid chargers I have purchased. They are expensive and ridiculously flimsy. I replaced mine (which also happened to be a replacement of a replacement of a replacement) in November. It has recently overheated and burned my hand. This isn't a knockoff charger, I bought this one from the mac store. If I coud I would buy something else but there really isn't any other option.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Product :-(, November 19, 2013
XD (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This product is a licensed apple product for those who are wondering about it. However, it is still getting a 1 star rating from me. The one that came with my computer broke so I ended up buying this as a replacement. It has been 10 months since then and this one is now broken. If this was a $20 product it wouldn't be so bad but for something around $75 I expect it to last longer. I use many cables ranging from $5-$100+ and this products life span is on par with the $5-$10 range.

The product looks great and comes with the high quality packaging we have come to expect from apple. It just doesn't have a good life span, it is over priced, and unfortunately it's the only real option you have to charge your computer.

All in all, If you are wondering whether or not to buy this product, the answer is yes. You need this to charge your laptop, which is why they can charge you over $70 for it. The reality is if you are buying a different one for less it is either a knockoff that will break even faster than this one or it is used. This one is brand new, from apple, and comes sealed in the apple packaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product., February 27, 2012
I was hesitant to purchase this product based on other customer feedback, but I went on and purchased it in order to try to save about $20. Also, the reviews of the "authentic" version on the Apple website are very bad. I'm glad I made the purchase. It arrived on time and as described. Other users mentioned there was no AC cord. The seller seems to have resolved this issue because mine arrived with the AC cord. It appears to be an authentic Apple product to me. It charges my MacBook Pro.

I fully expect to have to purchase another one, though, in 6-12 months. The Apple power cord design is extremely flawed. Until Apple resolves this issue, there will continue to be a market for high-priced replacement cords. Might as well go with this one and save a little cash!

1.0 out of 5 stars Apple, Please Fix These Chargers, April 12, 2014
I have been a Mac user for 20+ years. The poor quality of this charger is unfortunate for me, but fortunate for Apple retail sales.

Who really wants to spend $80 for a new charger every six months? This will be the third one. There is no other way to charge my MacBook Pro. I have no choice.

But for future technology products, I do have choice. I loved you Apple, but I want to break up. For the cost of these chargers I could have purchased an iPad or iPod Touch by now.

Buyers, I called Apple store and the warranty on this charger is ONLY one year. Keep your receipt!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy Another one....this is the ORIGINAL!, February 17, 2014
If you are wondering of this will work with your smaller MacBook pro (13'' and 15'') the answer is YES, the power adapter will run cooler, and your MacBook pro will have some room for those "peaks" in energy consumption.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works great, is an apple product like from the apple store., September 19, 2012
I bought this from amazon as the seller, and its working great with my 2010 Macbook Pro. I seem to go through power supplies every 3-6 months and the high cost is making me consider not buying another Apple because this has been a problem with the laptops since 2003, and probably before. Anyway my last cable died and I couldn't charge my computer and needed it for school to take a test the next day online that was due, being a student who's out of state and going online, I couldn't goto my schools computer lab, and I had this next day delivery. Anyway it got here just in time and its been working great the last month. It came in packaging that looks right from the Apple store, so im pretty sure that this is an Apple product and not a knock off, its just as expensive to.

My ratings:
5 - Stars when the product is new
1 - star on price (because I have to keep buying them)
2 - stars on how it keeps breaking every few months
5 - stars on the design and looks
So, I ended up with 3 stars.

UPDATE 1/30/2013
Downgrade to two stars - Bad design.

The power adapter is finally coming apart again. This has happened with every single power adapter I've owned thats come with an apple laptop since 2004. the cable is pulling apart at the end where it plugs into the silver part. Pretty soon I am going to have to replace this one, again.

I can say I also have an ACER Laptop thats power supply is still good after 5 years and its just a normal plug. Pretty disappointing that I have to spend $80 every 6 months to just use my mac. This issue is causing me to consider going with another laptop brand (All though I love mac os, I hate having to replace this stupid power cable all the time and the price premium of a new mac computer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, July 11, 2014
My second one in two years is on the verge of breaking. This adapter is the worst part about owning a MacBook Pro. The Titanic had fewer design flaws than this.