Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Apple 85W Magsafe Portable Power Adapter
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 12, 2014
I have been a Mac user for 20+ years. The poor quality of this charger is unfortunate for me, but fortunate for Apple retail sales.

Who really wants to spend $80 for a new charger every six months? This will be the third one. There is no other way to charge my MacBook Pro. I have no choice.

But for future technology products, I do have choice. I loved you Apple, but I want to break up. For the cost of these chargers I could have purchased an iPad or iPod Touch by now.

Buyers, I called Apple store and the warranty on this charger is ONLY one year. Keep your receipt!
55 comments|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2013
These cords are so fragile and so expensive that it's ridiculous. None of these are safe for travel. I pack them in every way that every "expert" (or genius) has recommended I pack them and I've still gone through THREE of these things in 5 years. At $75 a piece, this is a ripoff.

I'm almost at that point where I'm done with Apple.
1212 comments|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2013
Okay. So a number of people have written negative reviews about the Magsafe power supply for a MacBook Pro. I just received mine. My daughter needed a replacement because of the classic. "my dog ate it". Really, we have a 13 week old puppy and he chewed the connector off of the old one.
There are only 3 reasons someone would suggest that this is not Apple original:

1) they wrote their review by mistakenly bringing up the wrong link on Amazon
2) Amazon mistakenly sent them the wrong item ( highly unlikely given their track record and the gazzilions they have spent getting their supply chain inorder)
3) they re smoking whacky tobacky

This item is factory original. It is the correct wattage for a MacBook Pro (85W MagSafe) and you best get the wattage right. It is not that the cheaper 60 watts won't charge your MacBook Pro, but it will degrade your battery over time. If you have had a previous MacBook and you try using the old charger you got with that one, it will work.....for a time. Don't be fooled by the fact that it will charge your new one. If you have a newer MacBook Pro, with anything larger than a 15" screen, you must get the 85 Watt one or you will significantly degrade your battery life. I have been in the technology industry and have friends at Apple. I called them before buyiing my daughters replacement charger. They know their stuff and I am sharing with you so that you make "good choices".
1010 comments|272 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2014
I've been through three Apple 85W Magsafe portable power adapter in the 4yrs that I have had my Macbook Pro. The damage is always the same. The cord encasing breaks at one of the "necks" attached to the magnetic plug and the power supply. I had to wrap electrical tape to prevent any damage to the exposed wire. Apple should really make better cords.
33 comments|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2014
The only reason I can think for the failure of Apple to came up with a decent power adapter is greed.
To sell a fairly good laptop with an adapter designed to last less then one year (if you are lucky) who cost $80 is a clever way to add several hundreds of $s to the cost of the computer.
on February 25, 2014
I own a 2009 macbook pro. I cannot tell you how many of the stupid chargers I have purchased. They are expensive and ridiculously flimsy. I replaced mine (which also happened to be a replacement of a replacement of a replacement) in November. It has recently overheated and burned my hand. This isn't a knockoff charger, I bought this one from the mac store. If I coud I would buy something else but there really isn't any other option.
on November 19, 2013
This product is a licensed apple product for those who are wondering about it. However, it is still getting a 1 star rating from me. The one that came with my computer broke so I ended up buying this as a replacement. It has been 10 months since then and this one is now broken. If this was a $20 product it wouldn't be so bad but for something around $75 I expect it to last longer. I use many cables ranging from $5-$100+ and this products life span is on par with the $5-$10 range.

The product looks great and comes with the high quality packaging we have come to expect from apple. It just doesn't have a good life span, it is over priced, and unfortunately it's the only real option you have to charge your computer.

All in all, If you are wondering whether or not to buy this product, the answer is yes. You need this to charge your laptop, which is why they can charge you over $70 for it. The reality is if you are buying a different one for less it is either a knockoff that will break even faster than this one or it is used. This one is brand new, from apple, and comes sealed in the apple packaging.
11 comment|89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2014
My second one in two years is on the verge of breaking. This adapter is the worst part about owning a MacBook Pro. The Titanic had fewer design flaws than this.
on November 13, 2013
It was the original Apple 85w charger and the ac power adapter. It was the same box/ packaging like the one sold at best buy and the apple store.
review image review image review image review image
on February 3, 2015
As advertised. It charges my MBP and does all the wonderful things that a power cord does. You know... Charges the battery and turns my laptop into a desktop. Although, for the price they charge for these things, I was at least expecting a kiss on the cheek and some cab fare in the morning when I woke up... Alas, just a fully charged laptop and that" walk of shame" feeling I get when I look at my bank statement.