on October 13, 2013
My daughter's iPad Mini fell from her arms and onto the concrete driveway. It landed on a corner, causing the entire screen to shatter.

The price to repair the unit at Apple would have been around $250, which is not far off from the cost of a brand new unit. I decided to try repairing the unit myself, and ordered this part.

I like that several things about this particular part (as opposed to some of the other items available on Amazon):
1. This is an actual Apple repair part, not a counterfeit part of dubious quality.
2. The glass has replacement adhesive already attached to the back of the screen.
3. The glass (digitizer) has the complete home button and control chipset attached to the screen, meaning that replacing the unit is as easy as unplugging two small ribbon cables and then plugging in the new part. No soldering needed. The cheaper versions of this part do NOT have the chip set attached.

The repair process was fairly easy (although required dealing with some very small parts), especially with step-by-steps (such as [...] available on-line. All told, it only took an hour or so to get things back up and running.

Based on my experience, I have two suggestions:
1. The instructions (online) talk about the heat-activated adhesive. But they don't mention that the adhesive on the glass part has a thin plastic cover that needs to be removed using a utility knife or other device to separate the plastic from the adhesive.
2. The blow to the device caused some damage to the underlying LCD unit. It doesn't render the screen unusable by any means, it's my daughters device after all, but it does create a small area where the colors are not quite correct. If you are going to the trouble to replace the glass screen, it's probably worth spending the extra $50 to get a new LCD screen.

I am very pleased with this part and would buy it again should another iPad get damaged.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 24, 2014
Verified Purchase
Glass replacement for an IPad mini is such a fussy job that Apple themselves won't do it. This one gives you the best chance of doing a nice neat job without going unduly crazy during the process.
If you are going to replace your glass there are things here that you need to know so read all of this.
This one inclused the digitizer and the button included and attached on it. It also has the sticky tape installed on it and coverd with a plastic sheet. This provides a nice clean job and lets you avoid soldering. This one has those terribly difficult things already done for you. I have experience repairing and restoring electronics and this is one tricky job even without the soldering. Do not attempt it unless you have experience at this sort of thing or experience at other intricate repairs or crafts.
You must get the suction cup made for I Pad glass removal or you will mess up the metal frame. It is worth the seven dollars.
You must have a set of tiny phillips screwdrivers and some sort of tweezer or forceps to handle the screws. You will get a new understanding of the term "tiny".
You will need safety glasses. Glass bits can fly.
There are no instructions with the kit. As with most repair parts it is assumed that you know what you are doing. Go to Utube and look at several. There are some good ones.
You need to turn the Ipad off completely bu holding down the button on the top edge. This is something that is rarely done. To restart you will need to press and hold the button again and then also press the button on the bottom glass. Many people don't fogure that out and wind up thinking the botched the repair and that it is broken.

I was able to do this. It came out very well. The glass is clear and looks like new. I spent two hours on it. Getting the tiny screws in place was the worst part. I did not have the suction cup and I really wish I had had one. There is some danger involved. It was not easy but it was doable and it saved my a** for sure. Since the alternative is buying a new one or paying $200 for an unauthorized repair why not try. The worst that can happen is that you buy a new one or pay someone to do an unauthorized repair.

Rob Sez: If you are going to fix your own then get this one. Make sure that you are comfortable doing it yourself first. If you have any doubts take it to some little shop where some unauthorized person will do it for $200 and be done with it.
on July 12, 2014
Verified Purchase
This screen does not work properly. It took me an hour to replace the glass without incident.

As previous reviewers had mentioned phantom activity, hypersensitivity, delayed action recognition, and so forth can be expected. It's like something is on the screen but nothing tangible and visible. It has to be a low quality digitizer and glass assembly.

The screen also doesn't feel as smooth as a typical ipad. More resistance.

I will be asking for a replacemt and if that does not work request a refund.

UPDATE: The reviews do not accurately reflect the opinions of the product. This particular iPad screen may be made by multiple manufacturers sold by different vendors under the same description. It may be some funky Amazon thing where vendors agree that they are selling items as described for some pre specified price. So while there may be some vendors that sell the "original" Apple screen, there may be others that do not. Thus the reason for the 5 and 1 stars. I got mine from DIY.. It came in a padded envelope bubble wrapped. No other brand identification was included. Looked very generic.

Amazon has this same screen fulfilled by them for $32. I purchased that one and requested a refund for the screen I purchased. For those that are interested in this product should try the one fulfilled by Amazon. I would request for those that give 5 stars provide the vendor that they purchased the screen from.

Amazon should fix the confusion that they are causing the customers by letting multiple vendors sell a generic product under one item sku/description.

UPDATE #2:
I purchased another replacement but the one fulfilled by Amazon sold by For-ever The People. This one came in a box and the screen was in a foam encasing versus my first one that did not have a box but just wrapped in bubble wrap. The screen also feels to be better made with the glass having the same smoothness as original. I give this one a 5 Star.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 8, 2014
First I was told by the store that fixed my screen that any screen replacement item on market that is not OEM (including this listing) lacks the proper chip that will automatically power down your iPad with a smart cover. This was from teh technician I went to see and did not verify so keep this in consideration if you plan to do your own repairs.

Despite losing the smart cover feature, this listing's product does not function properly with my version of the iPad mini Retina which I believe I have the latest model. Purchased it this past February/March (2014).

After following all the instructions off Youtube videos, I successfully replaced my cracked screen. That was until I turned on my iPad again. I tested the LCD screen as per video instruction prior to placing the replacement screen into the LCD screen and noticed a very faint background image (showing the clock). Figured it may be a low battery issue (bad logic on my behalf).

So I charged it and figured I complete installation by placing the adhesive backed screen on. What I forgot at this point was to put the magnets back in. Doh!

Turns out I could not see the background image at all going forward even after leaving ti charged for a few hours. I had on occasion, heard "Siri is not available, please connect to the internet" message playing out of the speakers. It was as though the

Time to suck it up and bring it to a professional my friends referred me to. The technician rebooted my iPad and it worked fine (Doh!) except on occasion, that darn siri message would play. It got me to think that my home button was stuck yet I can clearly press it on and off. It just comes on by itself and was advised by the technician that is was a bad chip on the screen. They fixed it and even returned this screen intact. I just lost the ability to power down when closing my smart cover. Guess it's not so smart now. :(

If anyone plans to bring it into a repair shop in NYC, use iPhoneExpertNYC in midtown. Costed me $125 (lower than the other shops I found online). He even returned my screen (the one I bought here) intact.

ps: If you plan to buy this and have a model of iPad mini that works (as per the reviews here), make sure to wear latex gloves and have an air canister ready (or a hair dryer with cold function). I learned the hard way and scractched my LCD screen a little. Doh!

Hopefully it works on your version of the iPad mini and you can give it five stars. The lister may want to update the product description accordingly so people like me don't make costly mistakes.
on October 18, 2014
the screen look very nice after replacement but I don't know what to do with it now because it keeping jumping around without touching the screen. very bad product, an friendly advise: don't buy.
on August 20, 2013
Verified Purchase
IC was presoldered on adn the adhesive was also already applied. Much easier than soldering the 40 points. Great product.
on September 16, 2014
Verified Purchase
Purchased this 7/13/14 and installed as soon as i got it. Now 2 months later (9/16/14) the top 1/4 of the screen does not respond to touches. Opened a drawing app and scribbled on the whole screen, there is a perfect horizontal line about an inch and a half from the top where it cannot draw. Buy something else. I am convinced this is not an "Apple Original" part as advertised. The home button also feels different than the original.
on January 22, 2014
Verified Purchase
Works perfectly and for the most part easy to install. It takes a lot of patience and has a lot of tiny screws. I used the Olympia Tools 88-670 iWork 15-Piece Smart Phone Repair Tool Kit, which has everything I needed to make this repair (I used a hair dryer as my heat source). When making the repair I tested the LCD and digitizer before I reassembled my ipad and my LCD was not working. I did a little research and learned that you need to unplug the battery before reconnecting the LCD and digitizer. I unplugged my battery. I then reconnected my digitizer, LCD and then my battery and tested it and everything was working(I hope this part of the review will save someone a little time and worry because I thought I was going to have to put even more money into my ipad by buying an lcd screen too). I reassembled my ipad mini and tested it once more and it was working perfectly. Then my ipad mini went straight into an Otterbox Defender case. It may add a little more bulk and weight to it but it beats making this repair again.

UPDATE:
I only had the digitizer for about a month and a half and out of the blue it just started going crazy. It opens apps all by itself and jumps around within the app without even picking up the ipad. Ex. It will open Facebook, take the status updates that show on the screen, like those status updates & if anybody else has liked or commented on those status updates it will go into that persons page even if I do not know them. There are many options here on amazon and this is the most expensive digitizer and an "original" apple part. I'm not so sure about it being "original" or I do not believe it would just go bonkers like this. I have done my research and many techs have received bad digitizer screens with these same issues. I contacted the seller about the warranty and they told me 30 days. That's crazy seeing as though I paid almost one hundred dollars! I also contacted amazon and they said because I did not contact the seller within 30 days(how could I when the screen didn't go crazy until 45 days) to tell them my issue that they could not help me either and I would have to contact the manufacturer("Apple"). I am really disappointed in this purchase and I DO NOT RECOMMEND this digitizer to anybody even if it does says apple original part.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 29, 2014
Verified Purchase
Purchased in June 2014. I finally got around to repairing my iPad mini. Everything went great. This is a great product from a great company. I recommend this replacement screen due to its quality and the connector is all ready to just plug and play. It takes about two hours of patience to complete this tedious repair.
on September 14, 2014
Verified Purchase
The soldering on the contact for the bottom ribbon was sloppy and the piece was coming off. The plastic where the camera hole is, was not alligned properly. The seller asked me to send it back without providing me a shipping label. You should probably look elsewhere for a replacement screen.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations