5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny
Published on December 10, 2009 by Charles M. Evans

2.0 out of 5 stars If you buy, the e-book, be prepared to beg for the DVD
After reading some reviews for Logic Express 9 tutorials, it turns out that David's book is the go-to treatise on the subject. I bought the PDF as a straight download from Safari, and after reading a bit, found that the reviews were right-- nicely written. Good examples, good ideas. Everything a book on a complex product like Logic should be.

Pity the...
Published on July 23, 2012 by EDoxtator

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, December 10, 2009
This review is from: Apple Pro Training Series: Logic Pro 9 and Logic Express 9 (Paperback)
I highly recommend that anybody who buys logic pro 9 buys this book concurrently. I got the book months after getting logic, and figured out how to do the basics from the manual, youtube vids and forums. When i received the book, i was expecting to be able to flip through it and cherry pick little tidbits i wanted to bone up on. After a few minutes with the book, i decided to just go through the chapters as intended - what could it hurt?

Well, i am supremely glad i did. The accompanying media is great for getting your hands dirty, the methodology is perfect, and it is an entertaining process and very rewarding. Just by going through the exercises, commands have become second nature. A task that took me an hour now takes me 10 minutes. I was exposed to plenty of stuff i didnt know i wanted to know, and now i cant stop boldy experimenting with these new concepts, which is just plain fun.

I cant recommend this book highly enough. Upon completion of this book, you will absolutely be comfortable using Logic 9.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, really..., November 22, 2009
fff3k (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
am a long-time logic user, but needed to go back to basics (plus hey, there's a lot i don't really know).
waited a while for this to come out, got it 2 days ago, and...perfect.
detailed, clear, concise; everything such a book should be.
and the audiofiles included make this a true hands-on experience (for me, better than just reading stuff).

recommended to anyone using logic 9.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, December 9, 2009
Nahmani guides you step by step so you learn using Logic almost efortlessly.

The main reason why I think this book is great is a decent collection of examps provided by Nahmani.
Even if you consider yourself familiar with Logic this book is useful because you can always learn a nifty tip, shortcut or a feature you didn' know before.

Anyway, it was a no-brainer for me, since I haven't used Logic Pro before.
Nahmani helped me immensly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just another GREAT Apple training book..., December 19, 2009
J. Lockridge "jllx" (Birmingham, AL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've been a Logic User since "the beginning" on my Atari ST, and I've reviewed the various iterations of this book over time since Apple bought the company from Emagic, Logic's initial German developer. As I've seen authorship of this book change with the version changes of the program, I've seen absolutely no drop off in the quality that initially led me to give Sitter's version of the training program (for version 6 or 7..can't remember which I reviewed off the top of my head) a glowing 5 star review. I make it a point to go through each page and every tutorial for each and every review I write, and while there are a few more typographical errors than I've seen before, and some differences in some keystrokes/menu choices later in the book that must've changed later in the "shipping version" of Logic 9, there is little to complain about here, except to wish for more! Each and every chapter gives one a VERY practical lesson in Logic's use that can benefit one's music production immediately. The book does a great job accenting the new features of Logic 9 while still covering all of the basic navigation (although I missed seeing chapters on setting up the workspace, environment, and setting up screensets---these were in the older books) and properties of the "core" program.

And, DON'T skip out on this even if you're an experienced Logic user. Logic 9 is different enough and comes with enough new features to warrant spending a few hours with this book. While online video lessons seem to be all the rage (and I do find them useful on occasion), I still learn much better and more actively with book in hand and using interactive files. This format simply is the best method there is, and this goes for all of Apple's "official" certification series books. There is simply no better method for self-teaching these programs.

OK, I'm ANXIOUSLY awaiting the "Advanced" version now to see how good it can be! HURRY UP with that, please! Would like to see some coverage of Mainstage in one of the books, as that part of Logic is a VALUABLE resource, for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Understand!, January 30, 2010
This book made using Logic Pro 9 a breeze. It was clear in its directions and provided pictured examples. I would recommend this book to anyone using Logic Pro 9!

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish all textbooks were written like this one, February 10, 2010
I recently switched to Mac and started using Logic Pro 9 as my primary DAW. I had many frustrating moments trying to achieve the effective workflows I was used to from before. This book was my savior.

For a good overview of the contents, I recommend using the 'Look Inside' feature (click on the product image), the table of contents (beginning on page vi) is quite descriptive.

I would love it if every text book were as clearly structured as this one. Each lesson begins with an overview of which project files (included on a CD with the book) you will be using, how long the lesson will approximately take, and what skills you will learn. Then there's a short introduction giving you some background info and showing why the skills you are about to learn are important (this last point is crucial to preparing your brain to take in the information that follows). The chapters go on with step by step instructions. Here, as well, the author first explains what you will achieve, then takes you through it. This helps you put everything into context, or, if you're confident enough, you can skip the individual steps and see if you can achieve the goal by yourself. At the end of every chapter are test questions reviewing the most important aspects of each lesson.
There's an abundance of screenshots (in color!) that help you make sure you're doing the correct things. I just finished the book, and I was never ever lost in its course.
This guy knows his didactics!

What really made this book fun is this: Many lessons are based on project files of high quality songs (e.g. Mitral Valve Prolapse by Joe Hedges). And these lessons let you do something important within the arrangement of these songs. This means you're constantly listenting to something that's entertaining you, and you're making it even better! What could be cooler?
Throughout the lessons you get to know a wide variety of musical styles, electronic music, r&b, pop, rock... This way you also get an initial feel for what's important in different genres.

If you want to set a really firm grounding for your Logic Pro 9 or Logic Express 9 skills, I highly recommend this gem of a book!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Foundation, April 27, 2011
Omar Kaya (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
All of the other 5 Star reviewers are correct. This book has it all, from a technical standpoint. If you are new to Logic, it is an absolute must. I'm VERY impressed at how quickly and succinctly the author teaches the fundamentals of using Logic. And the fundamentals are vast. Over 450 pages including a ton of information on MIDI recording, editing, programming, and hardware configuration. Well worth the price, even though I'm so used to getting books for cheap, cheap, cheap on Amazon, I actually hesitated for a minute to spend the $35 or so. Looking back, however, this is an absolute no brainer. A drop in the bucket compared to the immediate and overwhelming value of content made available here.

Also, just a word to my fellow newbie, it turns out that the help tutorials in Logic are also VERY helpful. Probably not as helpful as this book, but definitely a great source for high level context. For instance, all I knew was that Logic was very robust and could likely "do it all," but was confused as to what that really meant. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos where guys are using synthesizers, bass synthesizers, MIDI sequencers, drum machines and more to create amazing music.

Turns out, Logic contains its own digital version of each of the aforementioned components and more. So, all I really need to get started is a MIDI controller (or I can just use my computer keyboard), and then, in the event that I do buy a MIDI controller (which I will) or that I want to add guitars, vocals, etc., an audio interface. But I wouldn't have really known that without reading through the Help content in Logic.

And I've only really scratched the surface. Yet, I was able to immediately surmise what I wanted to know about all the hardware components - and their digital manifestations in Logic - as well as some really awesome additional topics like History of the Synthesizer, and The Nature of Sound, etc.

So, to recap, buy this book. But also, don't forget the inherent documentation in the software itself. Really worthwhile, both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Buy---Great Book!, January 7, 2011
If you're buying Logic 9, you need this book. Really. It's well worth the price.

When I bought Logic, I had been recording at a hobbyist level using Garageband for 6 months or so. I thought I had a fairly good base understanding of the recording process, and as a Computer Science major I'm very familiar with computers and software. However, Logic was like a foreign language to me. I eventually got to the point where I could do basic functions with it, but everything was difficult and took longer than it should.

Fortunately, I had purchased this book along with the program. I went back and forth about it, and wasn't sure it'd be worth the money. However, it was worth every penny. The book consists of several simple lessons which lead you through common recording and mixing tasks. It doesn't take paragraphs to explain something--it just has you do it and in that process you learn all of the necessary key shortcuts and the basic work flow of Logic.

In a very short time (one weekend) it took me from being a complete novice at the program to confidently doing most basic tasks. And now that I've started using Logic for my regular recording sessions, the book provides a great reference for when I do forget key commands or how to use certain tools.

So in short--this is one of the best instructional books I've ever purchased. You won't regret the money spent or the time spent going through the lessons contained inside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Training Method, November 7, 2010
I'll start by saying that I'm not a book learner. I can never make sense of manuals, I generally like to learn visually or by doing. I bought this book based on user's reviews. Folks let me tell you if you'd like to learn Logic you'll need this. I had learned a decent amount experimenting and trial/error, but this book makes thing much simpler. I'm currently at page 229 and I'm truly enjoying. The material is easy to follow and since you're constantly working on exercises, what you read and learned about is assimilated a lot quicker.

I've used MacProVideo in the past. They're great tutorials but what one really needs to work with projects him/herself in order to develop a real feel for what's involved. Look no further folks, you won't be disappointed. I'll definitely be buying Apple Pro Training Series: Logic Pro 9 Advanced Music Production.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Of Magic, February 17, 2010
Well I just finished chapter 1 and i just moved from garage band to a world of professionalists (is that even a word? lol) but chapter one showed me the basic pictures, the main ideas, and a whole lot of shortcuts that will save you the composer time! Now everyones got to start somewhere Youtubing how to this and how to that isnt going to get you far well just frankly you cant ask them questions or just didnt meet the answer you were looking for... This book is my music bible right now and yess i hate reading but its exciting when you experience and thats exactly what this book does it makes it exciting and covers all fields, now if i could just figure out how to get my m-audio fast track pro on logic id be HELLA satisfied haha im a musician not a audio engineer but after this book i think ill be able to project my ideas further into the sea than i thought id be able to... This book is great 5 stars easy walk throughs, barney steps 1,2,3 and pictures lots and lots of pictures its great for hands on learners... 5 stars

Apple Pro Training Series: Logic Pro 9 and Logic Express 9
Apple Pro Training Series: Logic Pro 9 and Logic Express 9 by David Nahmani (Paperback - November 16, 2009)
$59.99 $41.54