4.0 out of 5 stars Works, But Takes Longer than Advertised
Published 23 months ago by Mathasula

3.0 out of 5 stars Useless Project Files...or so I thought
I had to amend my earlier review. For anyone having trouble with the DVD project files. Shut everything down on your Mac. Re-start. Make sure you have no programs running. And, then copy the APTS FCP X.sparseimage file to your desktop-ONLY. Then, it should work. At least it worked for me.
Published on January 23, 2012 by cdshadetree76

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, But Takes Longer than Advertised, July 23, 2012
This review is from: Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Pro X (Paperback)
As someone who used the "old" Final Cut Pro for almost 9 years, I had reservations about even putting in the effort to learn Final Cut Pro X. Especially after all the negative reviews. But I figured I should at least give it a try. So I got this book. The lessons work. Although some things are similar to the "old" FCP, you really do need a book like this to figure out how the new FCP works. It is radically different. But the book is clear and explains things well. I only found myself saying, "Huh???" about 5 or 6 times during the whole book, and in every case it was because I read something wrong and it was quickly cleared up.

My only complaint is the estimate of how long the lessons will take, which is listed at the beginning of each chapter. I think those estimates are wildly unrealistic. I mean, we're talking 35-40 page chapters where you have to read closely and then do things as they're described. And it will say the lesson will take "about 70 minutes." NO WAY!! I mean, sure, if you're just going as fast as you possibly go and skipping paragraphs here and there, 70 minutes might be possible. Even a bit less. But none of it will sink in. I would say to allot at least twice the amount of time they estimate. In my case, because I make notes for future reference and make sure I understand what's happening as I go along, it's probably closer to 3 times the estimate.

But you WILL learn it. As far as FCP-X itself, the jury is still out. It does indeed have some cool, unique features, and I can see that once you got proficient with it, it's very fast. I'm going to give it a year, then decide whether I want to stick with it or go to something like Premiere or Avid.

BTW, for the record, I've been editing video since the late 70s & 3/4-inch Umatic tape. Started doing non-linear in 1997. So I'm no novice at this. I'm considered very technically sharp and pick things up fast. So when I say the estimate on the time the lessons will take is unrealistic, I think most who got the book would agree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Here's how to fix the problem with the media files, January 5, 2012
Some people - me included - downloaded the Final Cut Pro X work files from the Peachpit website but get the following error when trying to use them: "The document "CurrentVersion.fcpproject" could not be opened. The file isn't in the correct format." or "The file might be corrupted, truncated, or in an unexpected format."

This is because the file is so large - over 5Gb - that your browser isn't actually downloading all of it; it's giving up ("timing out") part way through.

Fortunately, it's very simple to fix - in fact, there are instructions printed on the very page file from - they're just not obvious. Rather than clicking the single "APTS FCP X.sparseimage" file link, you should actually click the "Download all" link in the top left of the page, under the Peachpit logo. This forces your browser to use Peachpit's downloader, and the whole file will be downloaded - and it will then work. I've been able to successfully use the files, and found the book very useful in learning how to use the application.

As with other Apple Pro Training titles I've used, the training is well structured and nicely paced. It doesn't go into detail in some areas I was hoping for, but I see there's an "Advanced Editing" book coming out in Feb 2012. I'm hoping that this means they'll be able to do the topics covered in that book justice, since they haven't crammed them in to this one.

Overall I'm very happy with this book (once I opened my eyes and actually read the instructions!) - and hopefully this review will help other people who had the same problem!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning structure, February 15, 2012
I'm a professional editor and finally decided to make the transition from FCP 7 to X. I've used peachpit's books to learn all the professional apps I use and have always been happy with the way they structure their lessons and allow you opportunities to practice. As well as introducing different key functionalities throughout. This is the first set of ebooks I've purchased. I'm reading the material on my iPad which makes it easier and downloaded all lesson files as instructed. Very happy with this book and the new process.

As for other reviewers' complaints about not finding the download links, I'm not sure if something has been upgraded since the previous reviews. But for me it was very straight forward and the ebook provided me with a specific link to download the files.

Update: After 2 months of studying with this book, making my own notes, and working on FCP X for my last few corporate projects, I've come to the conclusion that most if not all FCP X haters haven't taken the time to really learn this product. Yes at first glance it looks like iMovie pro. But thanks to peachpit's training methods, I now am able to do so many things faster than I used to with FCP 7. Now onto advanced training.

5.0 out of 5 stars This will teach you how to use the product! It is worth the time you put in to it!, January 30, 2013
This review is from: Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Pro X (Paperback)
I own a small online retail business and I want to create several short videos for it. I majored in Broadcast Communications in college, so I have some idea what I'm doing . But college was 30 years ago. I haven't done any "film-making" in a VERY long time, and I have actually NEVER done it on a computer. That's right, I have never used iMovie or anything like it, believe it or not. So when faced with the task of trying to save money and make some short videos by myself, I decided to go with Final Cut Pro X, because it was highly recommended. I installed the trial version, took one look at it, and thought, "oh boy, what have I gotten myself into?" I immediately bought two books: this one and the Learn by Video "Introducing Final Cut Pro X."

I started out with the Learn By Video, because I thought it would give me a good visual jumpstart, and I was right. It gives an excellent overview of what the product is, and basically how to use it. I will review that product separately. I liked it a lot and highly recommend it.

After completing the Learn By Video book (I didn't do the exercises, I just watched the lessons), I fooled around with the product and created a rough cut of a little video for my business (I had already recorded the footage and taken some photos, etc).

THEN, I dove into this book by Diana Weynand. Wow, I love this book. First of all, it is a training course; it is not a reference manual (although you could sorta use it as a reference manual after you finish the book). You need to start at Chapter 1 and go through to Chapter 12. It will teach you many of the finer points of using the product, such as placing markers, the Precision Editor, etc. It takes time to go through it all, but it will be worth your time and effort. Allow yourself about 90 minutes per lesson. Even the lessons that say "60 minutes" have exercises at the end that take extra time. But it's all good! It's creative! You take the footage that Diana provides and you play with it, using the skills you just learned and have built upon, to reinforce everything. And doing it is fun, IMO.

I already know some things about how to do storytelling with video from my college training. I find this book interesting because it not only explains how to use Final Cut Pro X, but it teaches you something about the film making process. I find that very enjoyable. If you don't know much about video storytelling, check out Lynda.com, because they have some really good courses you can take about video production.

The author, Diana Weynand, is not just a technical writer. She is professional editor and director and has worked in film and TV. So she brings a lot of practical industry experience to this book, which I really appreciate. The book is not just one long slog of "click this and do that." It actually is rather interesting, IMO.

As I write this review, I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book. If you do one chapter per day, you'll know this product very well within 2 weeks. I highly recommend it. With a combination of the Learn By Video book and this one, you won't be looking at Final Cut Pro X , wincing, and reaching for the Tylenol. You will know what to do. The combination of this book and the Learn By Video will give you the skills and confidence to get started. You just need to be patient. It will take a few weeks to get up to speed. If you need to know the product instantly and have no experience with products like this, you will just be frustrated. You need to give yourself a few weeks to learn and understand it properly first.

Soon I'll be done with that first video that I've created and plan to upload it to YouTube and put it on my retail website. So far, I'm pleased with how things are going. And I'm happy that I didn't have spend a lot of money on in-person training. After this, I may also buy Apple Motion, because I understand that it has a lot of additional titles and effects. And if I do, I will probably do a similar training course for that.

So in conclusion: I give this book 5 stars and highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to learn, July 24, 2012
This review is from: Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Pro X (Paperback)
I bought this book, because I am new to FCPX and wanted to have a relatively fast intro. I used the CD and copied everything on my hard-drive without any problems. First of all the film material used is professional stuff. The book builds up the knowledge until the video is exported. In every lesson certain command explanations or procedures were also repeated, which saved time, because I did not have to go back always to older lessons to look them up. This trained me remembering all procedures much better. I was also positively surprised about the hints given, how a video/movie can be professionally improved apart from just learning the program. I knew Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and had a book explaining the program. However, this book had less pages to study but allowed to learn the program in a much shorter time and additionally learn about professionalism in video editing. Also thanks to the book I could see some important advantages of FCPX (version 10.05) over Premiere. I congratulate the author to such a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Structured Lesson-Based Training, November 4, 2011
This review is from: Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Pro X (Paperback)
I've come to Final Cut Pro X after doing a few projects in iMovie, and bought this book to get more knowledge of the deeper features in FCPX. After working through most it I'm impressed with the style and content of the book.

It's lesson based, taking you from the basics of screen navigation, importing and organising, and then moving into the fun stuff of editing and preparing a video. It initially seemed that I was spending a lot of time on the basics, compared to, say the Logic Pro book from the same series, where the first lesson ran through an overview of producing a full song end to end. However now moving through the rest of the book I can see the benefits of this approach, as the solid foundation provides the basis for the further lessons.

I particularly like the inclusion of the "Take Two" and "Editor's Cut" scenarios than tease you to explore further what's being conveyed in lessons. It provides a nice 'real world' context. The overall pacing of the lessons is good as well.

The accompanying DVD of lesson content is excellent in quality and breadth using real world projects. I had no trouble at all with the loading process; copy the sparseimage file to the hard drive; double-click to mount it into Finder, and then firing up FCPX and it found and loaded all the lesson files into the Event & Project Libraries.

Coming from iMovie I had an OK grounding in some of the operational concepts for FCPX, and Diana Weynand's book has given me the substantial push in knowledge for editing in Final Cut Pro X.

4.0 out of 5 stars Found a fix for messed up DVD files., February 11, 2013
This review is from: Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Pro X (Paperback)
First off, excellent book.. I have learned a lot with this book and my editing skills and speed have improved immensely.

but I was running into problems loading the sample projects for the lessons. after much poking around and many many swear words later I realized that the file names on the projects were off... for instance in all the projects that loaded properly they were called
'CurrentVersion.fcpproject'
and the ones that did not load they were named something like 'Zero to Hero.fcpproject' so I renamed all the project files with different names to

CurrentVersion.fcpproject

and when I started FCPX it brought up the update files dialog and the loaded the files.

I would have given the book 5 stars except for that problem (which it seems many people are having) and peachpit offers no solution on their website.
my version of FCP is 10.0.7

1.0 out of 5 stars WATCH OUT!, December 13, 2012
This book was released 15 months ago on Sept 2011. It's so old and un-updated that it is just useless. To download the 6GB of associated work files and the train wreck of these files I recommend to stay away from this. I have wasted hours upon end trying to download the files only to find it is so old. It is not supported with new updates, Peachpit is the PITS! Somebody wake them up, and me too for not noticing how old it was. Why is this even offered? How can there be good current reviews, with such lameness? The current interface is so different from the book, and no updates? Peachpit. this is my very last book from you nogs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useless Project Files...or so I thought, January 23, 2012

2.0 out of 5 stars FCP X Training Manual, September 17, 2012
I downloaded the book to my Mac Book Pro which is fine. However, the training program that is included which contains footage with lesson plans was a train wreck. I tried several times to download the media but the files were so large that it choked everything. I suggest that if one decides to buy this order the book in print version which includes the DVDs.

Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Pro X
Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Pro X by Diana Weynand (Paperback - October 8, 2011)
Used & New from: $5.00