1,829 Reviews
 (1,439)

1,300 of 1,353 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great Multipurpose Tablet
Published 20 months ago by Student

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning Defective iPad!
I love apple products, just like most of the world does!

I sold my ipad3 to get the new ipad4 due to the HD front facing camera and the blazing fast A6 chip compared to the A5 I had in my ipad3.

Long story short, Biggest mistake ever! The ipad4th generation has an issue with Wi-Fi, if you don't believe me or if you are skeptical just Google it and it...
Published 18 months ago by Besh

4.0 out of 5 stars Well designed, lack of Chrome default w/o jailbreaking, no Google Maps, only 1GB memory, false WIFI claims, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Apple iPad with Retina Display MD513LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, White) 4th Generation (Personal Computers)
As much as I didn't want to buy another iPad for my new tablet, Apple makes great hardware and has a nice, simple, stable operating system. If they just stuck with that I'd never leave them. Unfortunately I love my Google also and Apple is pulling an AOL by trying to make its customers be stuck with their apps. We'll see how that works out for them, but they lost me as an iPhone customer because of it.

That's my Apple rant :) Moving on to the review, the 'new' new IPad, aka iPad 4, is nice and quick! Had the original iPad and it became obsolete pretty quickly due to the small 256MB of memory - great for a game of freecell, but it couldn't hold more than a few web pages without having to do constant refreshes when you switch tabs, very annoying, hardly ever used it eventually. Bought an iPad 3 for my girlfriend, she didn't like it and we returned it to buy $100 necklace which she loved. Almost bought an iPad mini, cute size, then found out Apple only put in 512MB of memory - it can't handle many web pages without doing the annoying refresh thing either - already obsolete when it hit the shelves. So iPad 4 had the nice high res screen and 1 gig of memory, still only half the 2 gigs that comparable Android tablets have, but that's why we'll all have to buy another tablet in a year or two rather than 3-4 years for any other electronic device - planned obsolescence, slightly annoying also. I would do a Nexus 7 over the mini, but since I have an Android phone with a nice large screen (which I love compared to my iPhones), a Nexus 7 is too similar.

So long story short, I like and use my iPad 4 a lot more than I thought I would, it's still currently the best tablet as of February 2013. The higher res screen, although not a big difference in the store, is actually really nice once you get used to it. My MacBook Air looks old now in comparison and I'll have to upgrade that when Apple adds the Retina display on the next generation. Web pages look great, HD apps are more available now and I even use my iPad to read with the Kindle app ... although I suspect Apple will take that away from you at some point also, ha! Greedy, oh well. Best of all the iPad is very quick and has great battery life so far, using mostly for web browsing and not gaming.

WIFI claim of double the speed - FALSE. One of my big factors of getting the iPad was its claim of double the WIFI speeds as I want quick internet browsing. No one at Apple Store knows how or why it will give you this or whether it will do it without special equipment like a new router. So here is the deal - the new iPad gets HALF, not double, the WIFI speed of my three year old 2010 MacBook Air on the same (standard 2.4mhz) high speed cable modem WIFI router. I get about 66Mbps (speedtest.net) on my 2010 MacBook Air and only about 32Mbps on the new iPad. Tested it every way possible and the results only get worse if you adjust your router settings. Long story short, you need to get a new dual band (2.4mhz & 5 mhz) router if you want to get the higher claimed speed, but the claimed speed is only in comparison to prior iPads. Essentially buying a new router and going though the pain of setting that up with your ISP is the only way to get back to the wireless speeds Apple could do three years ago on a standard 2.4mhz WIFI router. Browsing is fairly quick and will obviously depend on your broadband connection, but to claim double and then not even equal three year old speeds is a little annoying.

In conclusion, with all the little issues that Apple makes me not like them as a company, they still do make great hardware and they have a stable operating platform. If you are looking for a quick, smooth, full size tablet, the new iPad is hard to beat. We'll see what the rest of 2013 has to bring. As Android apps convert to full size tablet and HD over time, I think next year Apple will see a lot more competition. All I want is my Google apps on my iPad, is that too much to ask for to keep me an Apple customer in the future? Will have to go through the hassle of jailbreaking this to be able to make Chrome my default browser and then Apple will not allow updates, slightly annoying. But, yes, it's a really nice tablet otherwise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many issues, January 28, 2013
Let me start by saying that the mediocre rating on this product had nothing to do with the seller I went through. I had several issues with the product when I first received the iPad, starting with a small issue of the home screen button not functioning properly. This was then compounded into a larger issue by the Apple "genius" not being such of a genius and replacing my iPad with a new ones and not swapping my SIM card (this was after a 3 hour wait at the Apple store). After several more hours on the phone with both Apple and Verizon, I was finally able to get them to over-night me a new SIM card and thought everything should be fine... wrong.

The big issue I am now having is a "No SIM card" error, which I clearly do have as evidenced by the SIM card in my iPad. I have done some Google searching and have noticed that many others are having the same issue. My iPad will work great for some time and then give me that error and no longer let me connect to the internet through my Verizon service.

All in all, when the iPad is working, its amazing, however when you pay >$700 for an item you expect it to work perfectly without having to lose hours of your time at the Apple store and on the phone. The customer service Apple has provided to me during this time is also making me rethink my switch to Apple products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple iPad 4th Gen, October 21, 2013
I was given this iPad as a graduation gift to use during medical school. At first, I wasn't sure if it would be useful at all; rather, I thought it might be a distraction from my studying. After about two months in school, I absolutely LOVE this thing! The iPad is extremely useful and portable for studying anywhere, anytime. It offers several different apps that allow you to store PDF documents, highlight, and annotate.

A helpful tip for people interested in using this for school. I subscribed for a free membership at Acrobat.com -- an Adobe product. This was a 100% free program. You download the Acrobat app to your iPad, and it will allow you to view, highlight, and annotate. The beauty of Acrobat is that they give you 5GB of free online storage. (5GB is almost unheard of to get for free... Drop Box only offers 2GB for free.) Once you have your Acrobat.com account set up, log on to the website from your desktop/laptop (wherever you have your PDF documents stored). From there, you upload your PDFs to Acrobat.com, and you can access them anywhere and anytime by logging on to the website. Your website login info will be saved in the Acrobat app on your iPad, and you can study and annotate your PDFs from there. Once you are done studying, Acrobat automatically saves your modifications to those PDFs, so you can view your latest modified document ANYWHERE. If you forget your iPad one day, you can log in on any computer and view/modify your documents from Acrobat.com. **By using Acrobat.com you will not use up any of your iPads hard drive space, so the 16GB was more than enough for me.

^^ Sorry about that tangent, but I found this extremely helpful, and I wanted to share it with everyone! Overall, I am extremely happy with the iPad. It is EXTREMELY user friendly. It is also versatile and can be used for almost any purpose. Definitely consider the iPad if you are looking to use it for games, study, internet browsing, etc...

1.0 out of 5 stars Ipad known issue - fix is $300, July 15, 2013
I purchased an iPad3 on launch day - waited in line and everything. This was our 3rd iOS device and was my children's iPad. Basically from day 1 they loaded up the iPad with apps of all sort, so much so that there was not enough space to get updates. They have periodically come to me to complain about lack of wifi connectivity, I usually restarted the device and most of the time it would connect (for a time at least). I assumed this was some sort of a software issue that would be corrected when I upgraded. So I finally wiped off the iPad and upgraded and have only had a greyed out wifi on switch. We live in the great midwest nowhere close to an apple store. I finally made a trip to Des Moines IA to take to the apple store there for service. It is a wifi ant problem (a known issue) and the fix involved $300 to upgrade. It is certainly my fault for not believing my kids or investigating the issue sooner. The apple store is so well advertised as the place to go to get apple products fixed I wrongly assumed this was my only option.

If this were any other sort of problem (bluetooth issue, cracked screen etc) I would expect that to be a reasonable option for an out of warranty issue - but with a known problem? Microsoft generated so much goodwill by fixing their known hardware issue no matter when purchased, why can' apple at least match the customer service of MSFT? I am just asking for my kid's ipad to be fixed so they can continue to use and purchase apps.

Don't make me call the tech guy to complain - THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE, I am just asking for Apple to take their billions of dollars and not stick it to a Dad trying to get his kids an iPad - does that seem unreasonable?

Jason Demuth
jasondemuth@hotmail.com

1.0 out of 5 stars Ipad is hanging and not acceptable Return policy, June 7, 2014
Hi Guys

I had a very bad experience with purchasing an Apple iPad with Retina Display MD514LL/A (32GB, Wi-Fi, White) 4th Gen. from Amazon (Seller -->Word Wide distributor).

I had complained on second day of the item received date .I used device for few hours and it started hanging and i need to restart device 2-3 times.So i decided to return this defective product however i got below response from seller and denied to accept return of device which is disgusting and not acceptable :(

"this seller's returns policy states: Drones, Computers, Video Cameras, Camera, MP3 Players, iPods, iPads, Tablets, Ear phones, Headphones, PC Hardware, Navigation, Point Cards, Software & Projectors- We will not accept any returns if the unit has been open and the factory seal is broken."

How any one can check the product whether it is working fine or not before open the item from box.I would suggest others to BUY electronic items from bestbuy or any other well known electronic shops so that buyer's money is safe and they do not need to regret on the purchase that i had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool for Education, August 8, 2013
Ignorance is bliss. I work at BestBuy and people always ask me "APPLE or ANDROID." Of course it depends on the user and most people who come in the store weren't technologically savvy. So, the majority of people wanted something easy to pick up and learn. Therefore, the majority of my recomendations were the iPad. I am in college and I have an internship. Both of these roles I use the iPad in. I am even using my iPad right now. I have a Macintosh computer and I found myself using my iPad for the majority of my computing needs. The iPad has also paid itself off by the cost of Text Books alone. Every book I get on my iPad saves me on average about $100. E text books are much cheaper than buying books on campus. I also have a keyboard case which they sell on Amazon for less $50.00. I use an app called Pages, which is an Apple developed app, that allows me to edit, import and export Word Documents. Not to mention its movie and music capabilities. I also invest heavily and the iPad has made my life so much easier when it comes to managing my investments and banking. Overall, the iPad has been a life saver for me and my family. Also, another great product that is a must have is a Zagg Invisible shield. They are a little difficult to put on but they have instructional videos on how to do it. Thanks for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Multipurpose Tablet, December 13, 2012
This product is amazing. It's not perfect, but considering that I'll have it for at least 2 years and I've used it every day so far, I certainly get my $.40 worth each day! It's very sturdy and I know it will hold up well, as my other Apple products have. I have friends who still use their original iPads (they work just fine, but many applications don't run on the operating system). I have a Kindle (an old version), and still love my Kindle as a reader. It's the only way I can read in the sunlight and it's SO lightweight. Eventually, I'll upgrade to a new Kindle reader, but I see them as having different purposes. The iPad is a mini computer, and the non-Fire Kindle is the equivalent of carrying around a book (or a thousand).

iPad 3 vs. iPad 4:
I purchased the version right before this one--the iPad 3--several weeks before the announcement of this version. I called Apple a few days after the announcement, and they immediately set me up with a way to return the iPad 3 to repurchase the newest version. I realize that some people were angry about the announcement, but there has to be a cut off date for new technology at some point, and I thought that Apple treated me as well or better than I've seen from any other technology company.

Yes, both the iPad 3 and 4 have very crisp, clear screens (which are stunning for video quality compared to my Macbook from 2010). However, the increased speed of the iPad 4 makes the video quality seem clearer. It's difficult to explain, but movies definitely got a bit crisper. Also, the increased speed really is incredible when opening apps and running a lot at once. I'd say the time it takes to open large applications is cut in half. But, I was so impressed with the iPad 3 when it came, and if I hadn't been able to exchange it, I would still give it a 5-star review--it's definitely not "obsolete."

Finally, what makes the iPad special? First, no one *needs* one. But now that I have one, it's sure useful and I wouldn't want to go back to life before I got one. Here's why:
* I sit at school or at work in front of a computer all day. I am always typing or reading on the screen. Coming come to something different is nice--it's refreshing. I'd rather watch a tv show on a 10" iPad than any other non-TV device (laptop, tablet, phone, etc.). The picture quality is great for movies and browsing, and the 10" screen is big enough to share if a friend and I want to watch something together. A 7" isn't enough for that or big enough to basically serve as a TV replacement.
* It is functional enough to REPLACE a computer. Don't get me wrong, I still need my computer for editing files, serious typing, spreadsheets, etc. But right after I got the ipad, I went on a 10-day trip. No computer, no problem. I could take care of all of my emails from work and school, keep in touch, keep up with my finances, etc. It was anything I'd need for a non-work trip. Web browsing works just as well as a laptop for 95% of sites, and there's an app for many that even improves the browsing experience.
* Given the first two points, I think owning an iPad will greatly extend the life of my laptop. I probably use my laptop 50% less now that I have an iPad, so I'll probably get an extra year of life out of my laptop as a result. That, in itself, makes the purchase of an iPad worth it in my eyes.
* Integration with other Mac devices. This doesn't apply to everyone, but if you're a Mac user for a laptop or an iPhone, I'd highly recommend the iPad over alternatives, even if it's more expensive. If you're hooked on Windows products or Google products, I'd consider those devices.
* The number of apps. I know that apps are everywhere these days, but, it seems at least, that there are still the most applications for Apple devices. The difference is especially noticeable in non-retail applications. For example, I've tried dozens of "to do" and organizer apps, and my favorite, Errands, is only available on iOS. Another of my favorites, Fotopedia Heritage (a gorgeous display of UNESCO World Heritage photography), is only on iPad. So far (and this may change), a lot of companies also choose to release new iOS versions of applications first. This edge will decrease with time, but for now it is still a significant "plus" for an iPad over other tablets for those who are into applications. Also, I can run most iPhone apps on the iPad, and there's an easy way to tell the difference (e.g. you can search just for iPad apps or for iPhone/iPad/iPod apps). Not sure if you can do this on other tablets, but I've found it useful (e.g. my bank only has an iphone app, but I can still run it on my iPad). Finally, though, just to be clear, this is NOT just a device for running applications. I could do almost everything I choose to do through applications just by using a web browser.
* The number of accessories. Many won't care about this, but some will. If you like to have cases to protect your electronics, the sheer number for iPad is a draw (not a huge one, but the sprinkles on the cake). Everything's out there, from cheap plastic covers to the smart cover (the one that folds as a stand) to professional-looking leather folios to designer soft zip cases. It can be a fashion statement, but it's more likely just a way to make sure to keep your device safe.
* Finally, and this may be petty, but it's the most professional device. In the field I know (law), partners at law firms and federal judges use iPads, not other devices to read briefs, send emails, etc. I've never seen anyone doing work on a Kindle device and I've never even seen another tablet in a professional setting. Part of this may be that it's a well-established product, and part may be that the 10-inch screen is nice for reading, even if it's bulkier. Being able to feel comfortable that you can carry your device in a professional environment may matter for some, and the iPad definitely delivers above other devices there.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best By Far, February 19, 2013
I had been thinking about buying and Ipad for about a year, and finally purchased this one about two months ago. I'm so glad I did! Some of my friends have various tablets (Kindle Fire HD, Samsung, etc), and they just don't stand up to the Ipad. The touch-sensitivity response is so smooth and immediate, and the operating system is the most stable and easist to use. I can't get over the clarity of the Retina Display, and I easilty get 10 hours of use on each charge. I have noticed that it is a bit heavier than previous versions and other tablets, but honestly, I like the sturdy feel of metal and glass vs plastic. Wi-fi is very fast, and the selection of apps is incredible. If you're in the market for a tablet, this is the one!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my favorite toy!, May 24, 2013
I previously had the IPad 1 and liked it so much that I wanted to upgrade to this Ipad 4....... I'm so glad I did! This has the cameras and the capability of talking live while seeing who I'm talking to plus instant messaging. I also have a printer that is compatible with this Ipad 4. Being wireless I can carry it all over my house but I mostly use it while lying in my bed as I'm handicapped. I just love my new toy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Comes with a number of iAnnoyances, June 18, 2013
D. Rodrigues "I'd rather be cycling" (Silver Spring, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
On the plus side the IPad has a fast charge time, long battery life, good Wi-Fi, a robust cpu, and an excellent display. That said, it's not without some flaws and annoyances. Foremost, there's no consistent method to back navigate. Perhaps, this was one of those cases where design overrules function; in order to keep the device looking elegant they sacrificed functionality. The result is confusion and inconsistency. In some cases you find yourself navigating back via the app itself; however sometimes you need to use the home function or start swiping. For example, at one point I opened a PDF that was attached to an email but then I could not easily find a way to close the PDF to return to the inbox. There's no consistency as to where the back function is to be found or what it may be called. Often you are forced to make reaches across the screen whereas if there was one consistent placement for a back function you always know where it is. The same is true for getting a list of apps running in the background. You are forced to use a awkward four finger up motion. Why not just give us a consistent button for a list of running apps? I found the need to use 4 finger swipes annoying.. Another missing function is the cancel key. If you accidentally start to download a huge file and want to abort - where's the key to stop the download? The app store is annoying as you can't search for apps in ways of your choosing. Why not offer advanced search that would give you some options to sort and filter? Another issue I have with the device is its dependence on iTunes. Certain files cannot be removed from the device unless you are on iTunes, really? Why? I should be able to delete files off my device. I'm assuming there's an app for doing that but really - why not just make that part of the OS? Speaking of what's not included - why not include a free calculator? Do I really need to shop for a basic calculator? The native Maps app is a work in progress with many roads or local features not labeled correctly. If you want to hook this device to a camera you need to purchase a special adapter but check the reviews for the adapter as many users are reporting it no longer works after the latest OS update. There's no easy way to manage your cookies in safari. In advanced setting you can either delete all cookie data or none. It has a very nice display however I refuse to adopt Apple marketing speak and call it "retina" display. Don't bother thinking you'll be able to send anything to your printer unless of course you have a specific "air" printer that will work with the Apple iOS. I could go on but hopefully you get the point that this device has both strong and weak points.

Rate and Discover Movies