5.0 out of 5 stars The entry-level iPad is just terrific
I've had the full sized Apple iPad with Retina Display for about a year and a half and have found that both my wife and I use it so frequently that getting a second iPad made sense. Plus, I got a great deal at B*st B*y and that was all it took to convince me to purchase this iPad mini.

I selected the iPad mini version this time because I felt that the smaller...
Published 5 months ago by Phil in Magnolia

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY from "Direct Distributor" Used iPad!
Published 5 months ago by Stone Glasgow

5.0 out of 5 stars The entry-level iPad is just terrific, June 22, 2014
This review is from: Apple iPad mini 2 with Retina Display ME279LL/A (16GB, Wi-Fi, White with Silver) (Personal Computers)

I selected the iPad mini version this time because I felt that the smaller size would be nice, and with the retina display I knew that the display quality would be excellent. It is also quite a bit less expensive (than the full size iPad) and for an impulse buy, that helps.

Briefly stated this is a superb small tablet. If you are already invested in the Apple ecosystem then the apps you already own will load right up and it operates identically to your other devices. I'm not going to try to make the case for the Apple devices vs. Android tablets. I think they are both good, and both have their advantages and disadvantages. I've been using an iPhone for several years, as well as the larger iPad, so staying with Apple is a big advantage for me. That is what they want, of course, but it is also fine with me because I love the products.

Pros:

- The size and weight of this device is wonderful - this iPad mini is less than 50% of the weight of my full size iPad, which is a huge difference. The difference in weight is enough to make it much more comfortable to hold for any extended period.
- The display is still large enough to web surf and read documents comfortably. It has the same display resolution as my full size iPad (2048-by-1536), with a higher 326 pixels per inch pixel density than the larger model. In other words, the two displays will show the same identical content, the mini simply a smaller version. The display is just crystal clear and sharp.
- It comes with a charger and USB cable, which are all you need to get started.
- It's compatible with all other Apple iPhone, iPod, iPad apps, works seamlessly with my iMac computer, and is easy to set up right out of the box.

Cons:

- the smaller display is of course slightly less suitable, compared to the full size iPad, for doing some things such as watching video. The speakers are also smaller and do not project the same volume of sound as the larger iPad.
- as with all Apple products, not cheap

Comments:

- The 16GB size is the most affordable and is what I selected. It does mean that you are limited in what can be loaded on to the iPad. Many users, those who have large numbers of apps or keep many photos or music or video files on their device, will want the 32GB or even 64GB sizes. My needs are more modest. I use it more for streaming and web surfing, and other less memory intensive applications. The 16GB is therefore very sufficient for me, but it is at the low extreme for devices of this type today. I realize and accept that it may eventually limit me in what I can do with the device, that it means less ability to grow and for future needs.
- Physically, this iPad mini is just slightly larger than Amazon's Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display. The iPad display is somewhat larger than the 1920x1200 pixel Kindle display. The iPad is about half an inch taller, quarter of an inch wider, and is slightly thinner. They are just about the same weight. The iPad mini was just fifty dollars more expensive than the Kindle at the sale price I paid. The Kindle HDX would have been my alternate choice - I like Amazon's Kindle products, but again there is the issue of app compatibility with other iOS devices I already own. And the iPad works just fine in reading the books that I have in my Kindle library, using the Kindle app that I have installed.

This is the wi-fi only version. My needs are only for a device for use at home and I have no desire or need to use this away from wi-fi networks or on my phone data plan.

When the iPad mini was first introduced, my wife and I looked at one at the Apple store, and we had mixed feelings about whether or not we'd want the smaller size. And that was the original mini, before it had the retina display. Now that the mini has the retina display, and I have one myself and I've used it for several weeks, I'm not at all dissatisfied with the size. In fact, it has become the iPad that I use every day, while my wife continues to use the larger iPad (which she does prefer, but she also has not had much opportunity to use the mini because I've pretty much monopolized it). For a two-iPad family I think that having one of each size is a good way to go.

For my purposes this is perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for fun, mediocre for work., August 15, 2014
I rather like this device. It is purely for my apps. I really can't use it for much else, but if we are talking about entertaining myself, then this is perfect. I still have to have a laptop to do my work though. :)

iPad Mini Screen Protector 3 Pack Ultra Clear

Oh, and I got these screen protectors for my iPad Mini, and they were perfect! I recommend them to keep the kids dirty fingers from messing up the screen.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY from "Direct Distributor" Used iPad!, June 18, 2014
A check of the serial number shows that the warranty will expire in six months, making this a used iPad repacked and sold as if it were new. The cabling was haphazardly tied with a dirty bread-bag twist tie (Apple uses cellophane plastic). Bevel and backing appears to be refinished. Box is dented and dirty; appears to have been literally kicked around on the floor of a dirty office for months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior picture, sound and performance., January 27, 2014
Scrampbelled (All over the map) - See all my reviews
I originally thought that the mini was a pointless compromise between the iPod and the iPad. However, I bought one for my wife and have now found my own iPad to be over-sized and bulky. The iPad mini's screen is only a little too small, but the sound is better than my iPad's and the keyboard is so much easier to use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT purchase from Worldwide Distributors, April 24, 2014
I rarely write reviews but Worldwide Distributors tried to rip me off so I thought I would write one.
I ordered a WHITE IPAD MINI with Retina Display
They sent me a BLACK IPAD MINI (first gen).
There are many sellers - choose wisely.
This has never happened to me before in my many years of buying from Amazon.
Now I have to drive to the mall and go to an Apple Store.
This item was fulfilled at an Amazone warehouse so thanks to both of you guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally the mini is perfected, November 12, 2013
Great product, now even better, finally the mini is perfected with a retina display. A7 processor is very fast, same speed as iPhone 5s

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I loved about my iPad 3 in a smaller package, January 18, 2014
I loved my iPad 3, I used it for everything: music recording, as a teleprompter, word processor etc. I am obsessed with portability and design so I wanted the iPad mini but waited on purchasing because it didn't have a retina display in the first installment. So when the second version came out with a crisp screen I jumped at the chance and there are no regrets.

The form factor is perfect on this version, it fits great in your hand, it weighs much less than the iPad (I can't speak for the iPad Air since I have never owned one), and it has the same great screen. Yeah I know its not as sharp or colorful as the Kindle and some other tablets, but the difference is slight and nothing beats the feel and functionality of an apple.

I'm really enjoying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Reading Books With Kindle App !!!, March 6, 2014
There are a lot of good things to say about the iPad mini with retina display. I'm not going to list them all because other reviewers have listed most of them already. I do have to say if you are looking for a tablet because you are planning on buying and reading books, I would highly recommend this. In my opinion the kindle app on this tablet is perfect for reading books. For me, reading on this really feels like reading a book and doesn't feel like reading on a tablet. When I set the color to sepia and turn the brightness low, the screen does not burn my eyes at all.

Most people might already know this but I wanted to mention that the kindle app is slightly different on other tablets. I don't know why but the kindle app for the ipad mini gives you more options than the Samsung galaxy tablets. Apple's kindle app lets you change the font and lets you highlight text in 4 colors. You can't change the font with Samsung's kindle app and you can only highlight with 1 color instead of 4. I also want to mention the color sepia is also different in other devices. I personally prefer apples version of the color sepia because it doesn't burn my eyes when I'm reading books.

If you are planning on buying this to play games, I would highly recommend getting 32gb or more. 16gb is really not a lot of space if you are downloading a lot of games. Apple actually has a lot of great games so trust me will download more games than you expected...

The only thing I don't like about the iPad Mini with retina display is that a lot of the free games have way too much adds and commercials. Other than that I can't think of anything else I don't like about this device. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone reading this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first iPad EVA!!!!, August 3, 2014
I have the iMac & iPhone 5 so I felt it was time to add to the family so i decided to purchase the iPad Mini w/ Retina. I am very happy with my purchase. The iPad Mini with it's blazing fast processor and crystal clear graphics makes it hard for me to put this device down. I tend to use this more than my iMac at times. The battery life is incredible, it can go days without a charge. The iPad Mini proves that extraordinary things STILL come in small packages! I hope this review helps with your purchase decision.
-itech360

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than my iPad 2, May 5, 2014
aeljas (Phoenix, AZ) - See all my reviews
I had my iPad 2 for several years before switching to the new iPad mini with retina display. The retina is pretty but to me its unnecessary; i thought the resolution on my iPad 2 looked just fine. The newer processer in the mini with retina is what really impresses me. I didn't realize that i had gotten accustomed to waiting a few seconds for apps to open and again while switching between them. This new iPad mini doesn't have any of that "lag" i experienced with the iPad 2. It switches between apps seamlessly and quickly. It also has impressive battery life, i can start the week with it fully charged, watch netflix on my breaks and lunches at work and i will usually run out of juice about the end of the day thursday. And i use it throughout the day to check emails, online banking, send iMessages etc. Also, despite some reservations i had at first about the smaller screen size, the clarity more than makes up for it and it is the perfect size for holding in one hand. I'll never go back to a full sized iPad.

$399.00 $300.00