1,961 Reviews
 (1,139)

1,011 of 1,089 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Near-Perfect Ultra-Portable Music Player
The latest iPod Nano is an update to the current state of the art in ultra-compact music players and it represents incremental but important improvements over its predecessors with only a few minor trade-offs. I'm convinced it represents a substantial functional upgrade for most users.

Its major advantage, in my opinion, is actually its slightly-larger size in...
Published 18 months ago by Glenn Carpenter

892 of 1,051 people found the following review helpful
Published 18 months ago by Xplrr13

1,011 of 1,089 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Near-Perfect Ultra-Portable Music Player, October 14, 2012

Its major advantage, in my opinion, is actually its slightly-larger size in comparison to the 5th generation. Although the smaller form factor of the previous Nano was remarkable for its extreme compactness, it actually made the device somewhat cumbersome to use. Its touch-screen was too susceptible to unintended inputs and it couldn't be easily held in one hand while manipulating its controls. Attempts to control it via screen-input while clipped onto one's clothing tended to be futile: you'd need to un-clip the device, then hold it in one hand and manipulate its touch-screen with the other. While the tiny size and convenient clip made it practically disappear while in use, it could be an ergonomic nightmare to actually interact with.

The new Nano is still tiny but much better for one-handed use. My index finger comfortably sits on the three-way volume/play/pause button (itself a major improvement) while my thumb has easy access to the sleep/wake button, the home button and the improved, larger, multi-touch-enabled screen. This easy one-handed control has the significant practical advantage of not requiring the interruption of my activities to switch, for example, between podcasts, music playlists and FM radio.

Other improvements follow logically from the Nano's new shape. The screen's larger proportions allow all the main "apps" to show up on a single home screen, so less fiddling is typically required for switching. Videos and photos become practical on a screen of these proportions, so it's perfectly reasonable to load some viewable content in addition to the audio content that will no doubt remain the Nano's main reason for existence. With few pixels, photos take up very little memory. The screen has neither the stunning colors nor the retina resolution of the premium iDevices, but photos still show up crisply and become the modern equivalent of the now-obsolete "wallet"-sized photos people used to carry. Video content is surprisingly usable as long as you can set the Nano in a viewable position - for example, on a cardio machine at the gym. The Nano supports rotation, so displaying the beautiful panos you've made with your new iPhone is simply a matter of rotating the device to the horizontal and then looking very, very closely. Maybe bring a magnifying glass.

More important for most people, the new Nano is an improved device for playing music. The "Home" button is a good antidote to the common experience of getting lost in the old Nano's sometimes-inscrutable layers of touch screens, bringing you immediately back to the home screen without interfering with playback. An even bigger practical improvement is the addition of the play/pause button on the volume control, a feature lifted from the (now unfortunately absent) remote-equipped earphones of many previous iPods. It's worth a few minutes' time to familiarize yourself with this button's very clever functions: click to play or to pause, double-click for next track, triple-click for previous track (even when in shuffle mode), double-click-and-hold for cueing (great for skipping forward in podcasts), and so on. Most routine playback functions are accessible through this simple and very welcome interface and can be accomplished while diverting little attention from whatever you're otherwise engaged in.

The list of major upgrades doesn't end there. The inclusion of Bluetooth will make the Nano usable, for the first time, with many car audio systems and also with wireless Bluetooth headsets and remote Bluetooth speaker systems. The FM radio is much better than I would have imagined if I hadn't used the previous Nano, with legitimately excellent reception and a very nice interface that lets you select unlimited numbers of "presets." I've used small portable radios in the past, and maybe there are some other good ones out there, but the ones I've experienced have been terrible. I'm personally still attached to FM, and this level of FM quality would make the Nano a terrific device even if it did nothing else.

In general I find the new Nano to be a beautiful, nearly-flawless little piece of practical technology that can do things which, not that long ago, I would not have expected to be possible within my lifetime. While it's not inexpensive, it has real life-improving potential for people who love music or who want to remain portably connected to a world of podcasted information. Being smaller than a credit card in two of three dimensions, it fits easily into the smallest pocket. While jaded consumers of technology can claim it's a mere incremental improvement over its predecessors, I prefer to see it as an instance of exceptional, practical, functional design in a world full of cheap junk that too often disappoints or fails to function altogether. While I have a few nitpicks (below), none of them significantly diminish its overall excellence. It earns every star.

Notes:

- There are a few disappointments and drawbacks:

--- The Ear Pods that come with the device sound good overall but don't have the remote function included with many iDevice earphones in recent years. While the new Nano has a hardware button that mimics that function, the corded remote is often more accessible, making pause/play and track-change functions instantly available even if the device is buried in a pocket. A decent set of Apple-compatible remote-equipped earphones would be a nice addition.

--- This latest Nano eliminates the useful integrated clip featured by the last (6th generation) Nano, making it more a pocket device. Its thin-ness and Bluetooth support compensates for this: the old Nano's clip made it slightly cumbersome in a pocket, as it could catch on things and added significantly to the device's thickness. Nevertheless the previous generation remains the ultimate for portability and, while thicker and slightly wider, weighs around 1/3 less than the latest model.

--- The white screen-surround on the colored Nanos doesn't look all that great in my opinion. It does give the Nanos a clean, friendly look, but to my eyes black would be a better choice and would contrast sharply with the bright colors and icons. I chose the boring but still attractive "slate" (black) model, which does have a black screen-surround.

--- I would like more flexibility in some of the settings: for example, the ability to keep the screen "on" longer, even indefinitely, before it sleeps. As it is, the screen goes dark so quickly I'm often still in the middle of fiddling with whatever I'm working on and have to re-wake the screen to continue. The previous-generation Nano was similar.

--- The previous 6th-gen Nano enjoyed an unintended popularity as a watch, mainly with kids, who seemed to love using it for this purpose. It had lots of clock faces to choose from and could be set to default to the clock when waked from sleep (as can the current model). The new Nano gives up the prospect of practical wrist-wearability. It also features fewer clock faces and only a few background options, all color-matched to the device, none of which is customizable. Perhaps this helps contribute to a lean OS and optimize the device's storage space. Whatever the case, the new Nano is not a watch, nor a clock, although it will accurately show you the time and it still has a useful stopwatch and countdown-timer.

- The Lightning connector is functionally far better than competing connector types such as Micro-USB and a clear improvement over the old style. The previous-generation Nano was nearly dwarfed by its connector, and it's easy to see that retaining that oversized monstrosity (as it will seem to have been, within a year or two) would have precluded the current positioning of the Home button on the new device, among other drawbacks.

- The Nano is still not an iOS device: internet connectivity and wireless- or Cloud-syncing remain in the future. This makes sense: a Nano is likely to be away from a wifi signal much of the time it's used, and cellular capability hardly seems reasonable. If you're looking for a do-it-all device, a smart phone remains a much more versatile (but cumbersome) alternative. The Nano is fundamentally optimized to function as a stand-alone audio player. Pandora will have to wait.

- Why not simply use a smart phone for music playback and podcasts? Well, you could - but the Nano has some significant advantages. Its size makes it much easier to carry while active, or while working around the house or in the garage. Its dedicated intelligent play/pause button makes interfacing with audio playback much simpler. And at least among Apple devices it is the only one to offer FM radio, which it does very well. These tend to be very important differences in day-to-day use and can easily justify its purchase price as a separate device.

4.0 out of 5 stars A runner's pros and cons review of Nike Fitness and Bluetooth, October 23, 2012
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 16GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL (Electronics)
Other reviews did a good job describing other features which work super well, so I will only cover the Nike Fitness and Bluetooth to avoid redundancy.

Pros: This nano has all required Nike Fitness components in one unit. No more need for pods on or in your shoes. Yes it even works on a treadmill and tracks Very accurately. Starting out the Nike Fitness, You can select a run by distance, time, or calorie count. During your run, it pauses the music and with a sweet sounding easily understood friendly female voice, gives you a quick update on your distance, then continues to play your playlist. This I found very cool. If you press the top sleep button while running with Nike fitness, it gives you the time, distance and current pace. I tracked this feature and compared it with my Garmin GPS watch and they tracked fairly well out of the box and only improved with multiple calibrations after I completed my run. The more you calibrate it, the more it learns and gets closer to accurate.

Cons:
1)There is one Huge Fail however. The manual suggests placing it at your waist to use the Nike Fitness. Most runners are waiting for a quality workable armband which I believe would compromise this feature based on the how it works. I will test it on my next run. It seems that the Apple engineers aren't runners. This I believe may be a fail for this feature since it is geared toward runners and runners infrequently wear their ipod at their waist, especially because this Nano lacks a clip. I, however, placed my iPod in my Spi-belt which is a small flexible runner's pouch wrapping around the waist. It is a tiny fanny pack for keys, ipods and such. Remember though, it needs to be at your waist, so finding that button while running when it is enclosed in a pocket proves challenging as well.
2)My other concern is that Bluetooth connected to a stereo headset wouldn't work when it is at the waist. Most reviewers and user manuals of higher end sport stereo Bluetooth headphones state that they were required to place their Bluetooth player on their sleeve in order to get uninterrupted playback. My question to the engineers is-since the iPod cannot be at the waist and sleeve simultaneously will i be able to wear a stereo Bluetooth headset and use Nike Fitness at the same time? I would love to get into the minds of the engineers on this one.

I was also successful with Bluetooth connection with my car. It works, but some features are lost compared to when I sync it directly to the radio via USB. With Bluetooth, I no longer can use my voice activated song or artist request which Ford vehicle SYNC systems have. I would instead have to search on my iPod for my favorite song while driving. That isn't a safe option, therefore not making Bluetooth syncing with my car stereo desirable for me. Also, tag information isn't displayed on my car's stereo while using Bluetooth. Perhaps, a car other than Ford has these features.

I am curious about the Bluetooth connectivity with stereo headsets while running. If anyone has success with this feature and where you placed their iPod to maintain connectivity, and quality of sound reply to this thread.

892 of 1,051 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars I wish Apple would listen to its customers and back-track a bit.., October 13, 2012
Xplrr13 (Augusta, ME USA) - See all my reviews
My new nano arrived with FedEx yesterday after a long grueling trip from China. This is my first new nano since my 2nd Generation unit -- which has a lot of miles on it and which still works great. The reason I purchased this one was because I know the clock's ticking on "old reliable". Candidly, I checked out generation numbers 3 through 6 as they were released and dismissed them all for a variety of reasons. I had hopes that this one would make the necessary change fairly painless. I've only had it for a day so, for the most part, the jury's still out. First, though, let me say that I use my nano mostly for working out. It would seem that Apple has finally admitted that most nanos are bought exactly for that specific purpose. Let the iPod Touch have all the bells and whistles for those who want them. Keep the nano task-oriented!

So far, I'm most impressed with the new earphones. They fit very well and I suspect I'll have no problem jogging with them in place. I'm concerned, however, that they're going to let in a lot of ambient gym noise as they don't fit snuggly. I do like the sound quality though.

The radio also impresses me. It works well and my favorite stations come in clear as a bell.

The new nano also supports videos. I can't address that feature because I know I'm unlikely to use it. (Who wants to watch a video on a 2.25" screen?)

The unit is light (perhaps too light), thin and attractive. It's surprisingly "slippery" to hold, however.

My biggest issue: There's almost nothing you can do with it that doesn't require both hands. Hence, the title to my review. Note to Apple: Go back to the 2nd generation unit, enhance its storage capacity, and give us back our click wheel. High quality, one-handed music is what this niche market really wants!

4.0 out of 5 stars What I was looking for., December 28, 2012
I combed through thousands of reviews good, bad, and nasty before I bought this.

Pros
-light weight but not super fragile.
-built in FM radio
-16GB big enough for most my music library
- smart bottoms for when I'm using gloves or to lazy to manually change settings
-colour inversion and mono settings
-easy to use and navigate
-Nike+
-clock/timer/ stop watch

Cons
-headphones don't stay put (nice sound though)
-only two colour choices of wallpaper (the purple has a fairly unattractive pink so I stick with gray)
-cant delete song directly from my iPod.
-so doesn't play for 30hrs- I have to charge every night even though I'm only averaging six hours of play time
-shake to shuffle doesn't work

Some Complaints that I ran into while researching and my take on them.

-shake to shuffle doesn't work- no it doesn't but with smart buttons on the sides it's just as good as I don't actually have to remove my iPod from my running shorts to change just double click while moving. This is a con for me but they do at least have another way to use it with having to manually change it.
-that there isn't a clip- the clip was only on the 6th nano because of the size and wouldn't last for any period of time on a bigger model - buy a case, the 6 g nano or a shuffle if this bothers you but frankly you knew this before you bought it so don't complain. It's tiny and most running shorts contain a 'key' pocket which it fits nicely into.
-no video camera- are people seriously complaining that there music player doesn't shoot video? Is a music play not a camera, not a video camera, not a phone get over it or buy the ITouch 4g or 5g
-audiobooks and not being able to skip around easily-I found that if you tap the book while its playing a progress bar shows up and you just need to slide the pointer to skip around. I don't listen to them often but most reviews give a thumbs up for audiobooks.
-radio doesn't have a great signal-my iPod has great signal but I live in a metroplex and there are towers everywhere so I always have a signal but try pulling the cord straight to get a better signal.
-headphones don't have an attracted mic and controls - only one of my iPods came with these headphones and I'm assuming they are only sent with device which have voice controls which my itouch 2g and this nano do not have.
-the headphones don't stay put, no they really don't they are to smooth to really stay put but they give out better sound then there older counterpart. I have pretty small ears and that may be my problem.

All in all its exactly what I wanted. I wanted something for just music for while I run or study. I have a phone, an ipad, and two itouches but they are very distracting when I'm trying to study and not very practical for running because or size, weight, or battery life (phone). This is great for music without the distraction or weight when running or studying.

I defiantly recommend it for anyone who doesn't need every bell and whistle under the sun that frankly doesn't get used and just wants music/audiobook you know what the iPod was designed for?

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Nano Yet, October 13, 2012
Just picked up the new 7th Generation Nano last night and I am impressed by the engineering and design that went into it. Upon unboxing I noted that the unit was exceptionally thin with a nice feel to it. The user interface is Apple easy (as is usually the case with Apple) and I was able to get it up and running in a few minutes. I did note that no charger is included with the Nano but the Lightning connector does have a USB plug which works fine in my existing charger blocks. The unit came with the new earbuds which fit a bit better than the older style but they still won't likely fit snug enough to jog around the neighborhood without falling out. The color screen is larger than my pervious 5th Generation Nano and does a good job of displaying the pictures and movies I have stored on it. Moving through screens is simple once you understand that it uses the same swipe and pinch technique as my iPhone - the volume, on/off and sleep functions are similar to the iPhone as well and will make the learning curve on this new Nano fairly quick. The FM radio is much improved in sensitivity than my older Nano and does a good job of pulling in weaker stations and the sound is quite good. All in all, a nice addition to the Apply family of portable music players.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, October 18, 2012
I was surprised after reading the reviews that there were a lot of people that are giving this ipod 1 star! After reading those reviews, and getting my nano, I feel like they are all a bunch of complainers. They are comparing it to things that they love too much and got attached to.
It works perfect for me. The earphones are perfect fit for my ears and I love them. I know that they got a new charger, but it is smaller and I am sure they are in the process of converting all the apple chargers to this new one. Remember when they did that for phones and now they are all charged on the same charger? It is process. But it is worth it in the end. Stop complaining. This is an awesome product. Sleek. Small. Great sound. Great product. :)

1.0 out of 5 stars No Lock Button? stupid stupid stupid, June 3, 2013
The fact that this product is small and can hold a lot of music, you would think would make a great product that is easy to use. Here is the catch, the lack of any lock button muting all the outer buttons makes this product a real hassle to use. I LOVE working out, and having my music shut off mid song or have the volume increase to ear busting. It's is a real pain in the arse. TO remove something that has been on EVERY other apple product I've used, is a major oversight and borderline stupid. To remove something that is essential to use and helps deter theft is stupid. I would strongly recommend you skip this one.

It's my bad I bought the product and ASSumed that is would have the all the features the past versions of the product had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great and not so good. Well, all great after a phone call, October 23, 2012
Rosiel (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This is my first iPod. I used a Creative Zen for years, but it wore out, the plug was going, buttons not responding any more. Looking at the reviews, and seeing that the 7G was coming out, and cost a good bit less than other models, I decided to give it a try. I listen to books while knitting, also sleeping, a great help when I wake up in the night also at the gym, although I am no athelete. So using and iPod is a brand new experience.

Good things: This thing is tiny. It weighs nothing. It's like using a set of earbuds to listen, with nothing else. The new earphones work very well. I can sleep in them with no problem. The sound quality is excellent, really good. I can even get good radio reception, and we live in an area where that is not a given. The touch screen is intuitive and easy to use. I love the fact that if you buy it from Apple you can get it engraved. I bought pink, which is a great color. The cord is expensive, probably because it is new, but it will fit into a cheap adapter for the wall or the car to charge. The volume goes much lower and much higher, which is very convenient. Not all recordings are low enough for sleeping comfortably, as I'm very conscious of the need to preserve your hearing. On the other hand, hooking it up to my car's speakers, I need the volume all the way up. If you are listening to a book, you can slow the speed down by half, in case you get someone speaking too quickly to understand. A great advantage if listening to books in a foreign language. I like that the light goes out after a while, conserving battery power. IPod 7G seems to charge quickly, too. If all I did was begin to listen to something on my iPod and stopped listening to it when I was finished with my workout, the 7G would get 5 stars.

Problems: While it has nothing to do with the iPod itself, dealing with iTunes is not an easy thing to do, and the instructions are not complete. It is reasonable to include iTunes here, as it is also made by Apple. I have to transfer my considerable collection of ripped CD's into a format acceptable to the iPod. In doing so, I notice that the files do not end up in order in the iTunes library. This can get to be a nuisance when you're trying to get all the folders onto the iPod. If I go to anything else, like listen to the radio, I cannot go back to where I was listening automatically by looking for Now Playing. I like that feature in Zen, and cannot seem to get it here. While the feature for books at half speed is great, there is no way to transfer something labelled as music into something labelled a book, and the half speed feature is only for books. Once my considerable collection of books is also in the iTunes library, syncing several books may be difficult because the list will be so big.

The verdict is not in. Both Zen and iPod 7G have qualities that are better and worse than the other.

After writing the above, I called iTunes, very helpful and friendly, a real person who can speak American English, and if, after the folder is in iTunes music you right click, then go to get info and change the type from music to audiobook, it will do virtually everything I want to. iTunes, which is integral to the iPod, has a lot more features, and it is worthwhile to explore it fully, clearly. So I have changed the rating to 5 stars, as this does everything I want, and does it elegantly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battery Life?, November 3, 2012
I have had this 7th generation for a few days. I previously owned the 6th & 5th Gens. This one had a few features my previous nano did not, primarily bluetooth. I have speakers & headphones that run bluetooth so I was looking forward to wireless..however after only 90 minutes of listening without turning the display on, I was down to 50% battery even though it had a full charge. Even with wired headphones, I seriously doubt you can get anywhere new 30 hours of battery unless you like listening to music at 10% volume. My 6th Gen. got me at least 10 hrs in between charges, so I'm going to wait a few weeks and see if this is a global problem that will be fixed with an update, or just some bad lithium batteries going around. I may boost my rating to 4 stars if I can get 10 hrs out of a full charge, but I doubt using the bluetooth feature will get me that. On the plus side, I like the bigger screen and home button, the square 6th Gen was just too small to try and control and the clip feature wasn't much of a loss since I usually just kept it in my pocket. The new headphones are by far the biggest improvement over the years of crappy headphones you used to get (they would usually stay in the box) These new ones are not even broken in yet and the audio quality is quite good! On par with some I paid $40 for...

UPDATE: Nov. 9th 2012

In all fairness to Apple I wanted to update this review as the battery life does seem to be better than I realized and may be more of a software issue with the battery indicator level. As I mentioned earlier the battery indicator was down to 50% after only 90 minutes or so. I decided the best thing to do was drain the level down until it stopped playing and give it a full charge. Well, to my surprise it took over 8 hrs to drain the other 50% giving me the feeling that the indicator is the problem , not the battery itself. It should be noted that I ran the player on wired headphones (bluetooth off), volume at around 70% and equalizer turned off. Now, with a full charge and listening with the included headphones the battery indicator is moving much slower towards empty and I am assuming I will get somewhere between 10-15 hrs under these conditions. So I am bumping up my review to 5 stars as the rest of the player & upgraded re-engineered headphones are well worth the the bucks.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Returns!, February 8, 2013
Great product. Great features, especially the FM radio which works very well. Everything ended however when it went dark after 3 weeks of light use. I presume it had a bad lithium battery since it will not turn on and will not charge. Amazon allows for no returns on this product so I am off to the manufacturer. In the future I will buy these products only from a brick and mortar. The Amazon savings are just not worth the cost!

ARRAY(0x92b062c4)