5.0 out of 5 stars useful for connecting FW800 or FW400 devices
This adapter plugs into the Thunderbolt port on your computer, and provides a female FW800 port, for connecting to a FireWire cable.

Using this adapter plus a standard FW800 cable I can connect to my FW800 based external hard drives.
Using this adapter plus a 9-pin to 6-pin (FW800 to FW400) cable I can connect to my FW400 based external hard drives...
Published 23 months ago by C. Stephens

Published 15 months ago by K. L. Carriker II

5.0 out of 5 stars useful for connecting FW800 or FW400 devices, September 12, 2012
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)

Works flawlessly - no problems running SuperDuper! or TimeMachine to my external hard drives via this adapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works., October 12, 2012
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
I'm admittedly an Apple fanboy, but it's pretty frustrating that I have to keep buying adapters for adapters... literally. With my new retina MacBook Pro, there are no FireWire ports. That's okay with me since the computer is thinner than the port itself, but I feel like the computer should come with a few adapters for FireWire and Ethernet. In any case, this connects the Thunderbolt port directly to FireWire 800 devices, but if you have a FireWire 400 device, you have to get a FireWire 800 to 400 adapter or cable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Let's you connect a FW drive, but forget about daisy-chaining, May 17, 2013
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
I do a lot of video editing and have three FireWire external drives that I use for scratch disks and file storage. I can connect them one at a time via the Thunderbolt adapter, but if I try to daisy chain two of them, my iMac disconnects from both drives. So, yeah, it lets me use a FireWire hard drive, but I can't move files between them. I have to copy them to my iMac and then over to the other disk, doubling the amount of time it takes to transfer files. When you're talking about many gigabytes of video files, that's a lot of wasted time. Apple claims FireWire devices plugged into the Thunderbolt adapter can be daisy chained, but I can't get it to happen. Maybe I'll just buy a second adapter; I have two Thunderbolt ports and the other one is just sitting there not doing anything. I shouldn't have to work around "improved" technology, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! But doesn't power more than one hard drive., February 12, 2013
Arthur I. (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
This adapter does exactly what it's supposed to, i.e. allows you to connect Firewire hard drives to a Mac computer that has a Thunderbolt port. Be aware, however, that this adapter will only supply enough power to run ONE external drive at a time. If you want to daisy-chain multiple Firewire drives together through this one adapter, each hard drive beyond the first one will have to be powered by its own AC adapter. If you try to connect two hard drives that aren't AC-powered, the Mac operating system will freak out and instantly eject all the drives connected through the adapter.

I use this adapter with three drives attached at the same time and it works fine: two AC-powered drives and a bus-powered drive.

The Apple website states that this adapter provides up to 7W of bus power, so daisy chaining bus-powered devices is theoretically possible if you stay under the 7W limit - but I don't think you can find two hard drives that would consume less than 7W of power.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but Doesn't Daisy-Chain, January 5, 2013
James (LONG BEACH, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
While this adapter works with FireWire 800 portable drives, it doesn't seem to support daisy-chaining even 2 mobile drives together, which really limits the usefulness of this adapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supports Target Disk Mode over Firewire, February 25, 2013
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
Just in case anyone else was curious about this, this adapter will let you do target disk mode between a firewire-containing mac and a mac with thunderbolt and no firewire (notably all of the Macbook Airs).

When traveling I frequently clone my primary machine whole to my Air, before this adapter I had to go through a complex and lengthy processes of cloning through intermediate drives. Now I can just mount the Air as an external drive and clone SSD -> SSD. Awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!, September 27, 2012
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
This product allows me to use FireWire 800 devices on my MacBook Pro Retina through the Thunderbolt port. It is pricey but its the only option if you want FireWire on the new MacBook Pro Retina or other Macs with Thunderbolt ports instead of FireWire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Works great, October 10, 2012
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
I use this for my 2011 MacBook Pro. Although there already is a firewire800 port, its nice to have two. Once for transferring files in and the other for going to an external hard drive. After running my tests, it runs exactly the same as the firewire 800, not any faster or slower.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus G750JH Laptop running Windows 8.1 connecting to Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 Mixer, January 20, 2014
Gary Jorgenson (Westerville, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
I have an Asus G750JH laptop running Windows 8.1 with a a Thunderbolt connector. I also have a Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 Mixer which can be interfaced to a laptop via Firewire. I previously interfaced the mixer using a Mac laptop which has a firewire port. I prefer the Windows OS over Mac but very few Windows based laptops have Firewire. I ordered this adapter hoping that it would work with my Presonus mixer and can report that that it works perfectly. My only complaint is that it's white, but that's not really a complaint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Old DV Cam Hook up for Imovie, January 13, 2014
This review is from: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (Personal Computers)
This was perfect to transfer my old family videos into Imovie on my mac! this and a Firewire and you are well on your way, plug into your mac and open imovie software it will see your old dv casette cam.

Work as detailed and now all our memories are digital and organized.

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter