5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Training for iWork

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Training for iWork, May 14, 2009
sandy desert "solo1" (Tempe, AZ, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Training Series: iWork 09 (Paperback)
I'm finding these PeachPit Press Apple Training Series books to be a great resource for learning the Apple Pro and Consumer software products. I've always looked at another product previously for more information on Apple software. Since learning Aperture 2 with Harrington's book, I decided to try iWork as well. I'm a newcomer to iWork and bought iWork for the first time. So, I needed instruction to bring me up to speed. This tutorial/project based resource was just the ticket for me. This book covers the basics very handily and goes into a few specific and outstanding features for each of the 3 programs. With Keynote, I was most impressed with one of the actions that animated a motorcycle to appear to 'drive' off the slide. What is amazing, is how simple this is implemented in Keynote. Pages had a few hidden features that Harrington's book pointed out. One was autoflowing text between text boxes and another connected objects with a connector line. Again, Apple's software engineers use elegant solutions to implement. Numbers is different from Excel in that while both use sheets, tabs are accessed from a sidebar rather than at the bottom of the page. Numbers spreadsheets are designed to offer richer formatting options and content than you would find in Excel. I think the most outstanding features in Numbers would be the unique way of categorizing columns and the exceptional way that address book integrates with tables. Just remarkable the way this all comes together especially if you've been building on OS X for years as I have. I recommend this book and while it doesn't cover every detail in the iWork suite, it does encourage you to explore and create on your own. It covers integration with other Apple software. It gives examples of how to share your work with others via email, websites(i.e. iWork.com beta), pdf's and printouts. It also explains how Apple can play nice with Microsoft. Clearly, not every transition in Keynote will translate to Powerpoint, but Keynote does a pretty good job of cleaning up a Powerpoint presentation ( with some editing tools). This book will explain some of the pitfalls that can befall a user without being armed with the knowledge contained in these pages, so it pays to take your time and follow all the examples to a 'T.' The organization, writing and illustration in the book are all well done making it less likely you will get lost along the way. Harrington takes you through each program's interface, associated inspectors, format bar and Apple predefined templates. He takes you through menu items and shows you many keyboard shortcuts explaining many ways to accomplish the same task. It is easily worth investing time to complete this book because I will guarantee you will learn something you never knew about the iWork software. Some of these tips in their aggregate are worth more than the price of admission. Pick up a copy today and see how iWork can bring greater productivity to your life or just have fun learning iWork. Warning: After learning iWork you may become addicted to formating and creating spreadsheets, presentations and newsletters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but rates best for Keynote not as good for most users, August 29, 2009
Hartley J. Jackson (Lyndonville, VT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Training Series: iWork 09 (Paperback)
The first 40% of Apple Training Series iWork '09 contains a wonderful set of tutorials and advice about creating great presentations. Richard Harrington, the author, is the owner of an award winning visual communications company. The result is reflected in the quality and content of the tutorials. The Apple Training Series is the official curriculum for the Apple Training and Certification Program. The subject of the tutorials and the accuracy of their presentation is as high as you would expect from Apple in their official training.

Each of the 16 lessons in Apple Training Series iWork '09 ends with open ended questions and their answers which provide valuable feedback about how well we have learned what was in that lesson, and a summary of some key information.

iWork is a well integrated program. Once you have learned to use Keynote you have learned much of what you will be using in Pages and in Numbers.

For those most interested in learning Keynote, Apple Training Series iWork '09 deserves five stars.

I guess that the number of Macintosh users who will ever give or create a Keynote presentation is somewhere between one 20 and one in a 100. For the rest of us, trying to learn iWork through beginning with Keynote makes learning more difficult. It is easier to learn if you begin with something you already know, and learning is best if it is something you are really interested in. Practically everyone is interested in creating some kinds of documents on paper.

The readers who are not interested in Keynote are expected to recognize, pay special attention to, and remember the parts that we will need to know later when we begin to study how to create those wonderful documents.

The tutorials on Pages: Publishing Made Easy, and Numbers, Working With Spreadsheets are just as outstanding, but they sometimes take longer to complete when you need to use some detail that was covered earlier when you may not have been as interested in the subject.

"The rule of thumb is: Think first, design second, and then present." Lesson 1, Creating a Presentation, page 16. I believe the first thing you should think about is: Who is your audience?"

This is a very good book, but it could have been much better if it had been organized to fit a larger share of its potential audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comes with a DVD-ROM with lesson and media files attached, June 16, 2009
This review is from: Apple Training Series: iWork 09 (Paperback)
This Apple-certified training guide packs in details on the iWork suite of tools, pairing real-world project examples with keys on how to design presentations, add animated charts and custom backgrounds, and publish on the Web using the iWork tools. Both business and computer libraries will relish a training workbook that comes with a DVD-ROM with lesson and media files attached, and tells how to use iWork to create professional, polished results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich Lefko's MyMac.com Review, November 4, 2009
Tim E Robertson "Publisher MyMac" (Battle Creek, Mi United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Apple Training Series: iWork 09 (Paperback)
Are you using iWork? I use Keynote and Pages quite a bit and I am still getting familiar with Numbers. I find that I like them much better than the MS Office Apps. Remarkably, they don't crash like the MS apps do.

I use Keynote for training presentations where I work. I have had attendees tell me I have "raised the bar" with regard to presentations. I find Keynote much more flexible than PowerPoint, easier to use, with better transitions. I use Pages for all of my word processing, and it is a great tool for page layouts, with many predefined templates. I have just begun working with Numbers, and I feel confident I will move over from Excel down the road.

If you use the iWork suite of software, or would like to use it more, the iWork '09 Apple Training Series book is a great tool that will help you learn how to use the various programs, or if you are familiar with iWork, help you to use them better.

The book itself is set up as a series of "Lessons." Lessons 1 through 7 revolve around Keynote, 8 through 12, Pages and lessons 13 through 16 are dedicated to Numbers. This book includes a DVD-ROM which contains all of the files you'll need to complete the lessons. In addition, you can sign up with Peachpit Press and gain searchable access to the book online for 45 days. I think this is a wonderful benefit, but I feel you should have access forever.

You can either work through the lessons or use the book as a reference tool. The included Keynote lessons help you understand how to choose themes, and explain how to work with master slides, and adding pictures and movies, to name just a few. Did you know you can even do a little photo enhancement within Keynote? The book also includes some great information about Keynote output. Keynote can output to a variety of formats including PowerPoint and even a QuickTime movie. Detailed instructions are included.

In the "Pages: Publishing Made Easy" section you will learn how to use Pages as a Word processor, or a page layout program. iWork '09 walks you through the various formatting options, how to add graphics and links, as well as how to use the templates included in the program. The lessons walk you through a page layout project.

Finally, you get to spend some time with Numbers. I'm new to Numbers and I found the walkthroughs and lessons very helpful. In no time I was up and running with some charting projects I want to use on my weather website. Like the rest of the book, the lessons are very helpful and take away a problem I always have, which is where do I start? The lessons help you use pictures (take that, Excel!) within your spreadsheet, how to apply the various formulas, and using the great looking charts.

iWork '09 - Keynote, Pages, and Numbers, is a great book for beginners and old dogs like me who have been using the MS Office suite so long, we've almost forgotten how to be creative with a word processor or spreadsheet.

If you use iWork, or would like to, you must have this book.

MyMac Rating: 9 out of 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for training, May 5, 2009
This review is from: Apple Training Series: iWork 09 (Paperback)
I do training for middle school teachers. I redesigned the book's well structured lessons for our staff. The lessons have good examples and accent the essentials of each applications. It saved me a lot of time preparing the training. I can't thank the writers enough.

One of the problems with the iWork applications is that they require a different mind set, but I believe that anyone working through these helpful lessons will, in a few hours, become proficient and wonder why the applications seemed so difficult at first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute best guide on iWork 09 training, December 6, 2009
This review is from: Apple Training Series: iWork 09 (Paperback)
The Apple Training Series is designed to replace the classroom environment for learning a particular Apple program and it rarely disappoints. iWork '09 is no exception to this trend. This is not a manual on how to do certain functions within the program, but rather a comprehensive training program complete with a DVD full of sample content. Not only does this book walk you through real world examples of using Keynote, Pages, and Numbers, but this edition of the book focuses heavily on integration of iWork components with each other as well as with the Macintosh Operating System. Complex functions such as mail merges with Pages and Numbers are included. The book does not cover every esoteric aspect of the programs but rather focuses on the functions the average user would need.

This book relies heavily on brilliant full color examples of the concepts being taught. The reader is easily able to compare what is in the book to what is on their Mac's screen. "Teacher, did I do it right?" is easily answered by looking inside this book. Additionally, a review quiz is included at the end of each chapter to make sure you understand the current lesson before moving on.

While instructor-lead programs allow the student to ask questions and interact, the Apple Training Series is about the closest thing you can come to an instructor-lead program without having to leave your home, office, or coffee shop. I always love how the Apple Training Series includes a suggested time frame it takes to do the particular chapter so you can plan your schedule accordingly.

Pros: Excellent real world examples and clear instructions and output specifications
Cons: Absolutely none

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, September 12, 2009
Steve Rowles (Hampton Cove, Al USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Training Series: iWork 09 (Paperback)
I have been watching Richard on a Twit video podcast and like how clear he is in explaining things. His book is also very clear and easy to follow with plenty of examples. I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Keynote, March 6, 2011
This review is from: Apple Training Series: iWork 09 (Paperback)
I like the practical approach to learning rather than the presentation of theory and ideas. However, having stated that it is my opinion there are some steps in completing the exercise that the author pre-supposes the reader has more than fundamental knowledge of the subject. The answer is there but the search for it is occasionally frustrating limiting my evaluation to 3 stars. I have only just completed Keynote and can't as yet comment on Pages or Numbers. I will say that I'm really very impressed with the professional presentations you can create as your proficiency improves. One other fact you should consider prior to purchasing the components of iWork at the App Store. iWork 11 is rumored to be released shortly and I'm not certain whether or not Apple will offer customers who recently purchase the application a discounted price.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Resource Book on iWork 09, December 12, 2009
This review is from: Apple Training Series: iWork 09 (Paperback)
Richard Harrington is a thorough teacher in this great Apple training series text. After completing the Keynote lessons, for example (about half the book is dedicated to this fabulous program), I decided to make a presentation of my own to bring to a job interview for a training position. I used his lessons as my reference when reminding myself of certain techniques he taught. It worked out just great... I included animation, video, photos of course, music, and dialogue. He even helped me in putting it to DVD. I may post it to the [...] site that he introduced me to.

Really, with this book, you need not buy any another - it works well as a reference after completing it especially since iWork's Help menu is so helpful.

I'm hoping the author will write a follow up book with even more projects... I feel like I took a real class with him ... does he ever take a vacation? His book is so thorough and I hear his others are just a great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Efficiency, December 6, 2009
This review is from: Apple Training Series: iWork 09 (Paperback)
I have Office from Microsoft. But recently it started for no apparent reasons to quit while I was doing something important. So I shifted to iWork. But how to get quickly acquainted with all the specifics of a new soft. ATS iWork 09 is doing it at my own pace in a very efficient manner. I recommend it strongly as a starter. Likely i'll have to go more detailed info later on.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Apple Training Series: iWork 09
Apple Training Series: iWork 09 by Richard Harrington (Paperback - April 5, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01