5.0 out of 5 stars Great music player, with video too!
The iPod first appeared four years ago, and the features continue to grow, with each update.

Published on October 14, 2005 by Steve H

1.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to reset on PC
Beware of this product. If it happens that the first computer

you connect this to is a Mac, then it is impossible to ever get

it to work with a PC again - the software required to reset

factory settings does not work for this model! I do not understand

how Apple can sell such a product without any warnings. We are...
Published on October 15, 2006 by B. Faltings

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music player, with video too!, October 14, 2005
This review is from: Apple iPod 30 GB White (5th Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

The iPod with video playback was introduced on October 13, 2005. However, one should not necessarily consider this player a video player, but a great iPod music player, with video capabilities as a fantastic bonus. Nevertheless, the iPod with video playback is the most capable and feature-rich iPod ever produced by Apple.

Video Playback - The iPod plays back H264 and MPEG4 encoded video. The iPod's new display is larger than ever at 2.5 inches, giving it a resolution of 320x240. What video content can you play on your iPod? This area is limited, at least currently. You can buy music videos on iTunes at $1.99 per song, which will play beautifully on the iPod. Furthermore, Apple has made available select television shows, for download on iTunes. They cost $1.99 per episode, for titles including ABC's hits Lost and Desperate Housewives. You can also watch the episodes you purchase on your computer. If you want to put some of your own video, onto your iPod, you will need to use an application such as QuickTime Pro to convert the video to the specific requirements to play on the iPod. You can also find video podcasts, which will play on the new iPod. Even if you do not plan to view video on the new iPod, its primary purpose is to be used as the world's best music player. You can still benefit from the beautiful new display, for it will help you find your favorite music faster, and you can view the album art that accompanies your music.

Size of new iPod - Does the picture of the new iPod make it appear larger to you? Well, it did to me. The iPod looked wider, in the photos I saw. However, it is not. The height and width of the iPod are identical to the previous generation iPod with click wheel. The only change in dimensions is the depth. The new iPod is actually thinner than what came before it! Yes, this 30 gig iPod is thinner than the previous 20 gig photo model by 30 percent. What does all this mean? The iPod continues get smaller, making it even easier to carry.

Capacity - This 30 gig iPod has room, for a lot of entertainment. With storage, for up to 7,500 songs, 12,000 photos, or 75 hours of video. The great thing I love about my iPod is that my music, photos, and video only take up about 15 gigabytes. However, I use the additional space to backup data, from my computer. This is incredibly helpful, and could be a real saver, if something happened to your computer. See, the iPod functions as an external hard drive, so you can backup all sorts of data. The 60 gig version is available, for $100 more, so if you want to use it for lots of video, or you have an enormous music collection, you may want to consider that larger version, which also sports longer battery life.

New Software Features - Apple has added features, to the new iPod besides video support. First, they have a clock feature, which quickly allows you to view the time, in up to four different time zones simultaneously. Furthermore, there is a stop watch, and a screen lock, which you can enable to keep people from snooping on your calendar and/or contacts.

Battery - The battery life is one of the most important specifications that you, as an iPod user, are going to care about. This 30 gigabyte iPod sports a battery that will last up to 14 hours, when playing only music. Also note that repeatedly changing songs manually, and turning on the backlight will use up your battery considerably faster. Furthermore, the iPod's battery lasts a maximum of two hours, when playing back video. This version of the iPod no longer includes an adapter to charge the iPod, at an electrical outlet. You will have to buy that adapter separately, or always charge the iPod via USB 2.0. The charging works fine, from your computer's USB 2.0, but if you're traveling you might want the ability to charge, with the adapter. Also note that the iPod no longer supports syncing via firewire cable. You will have to use USB 2.0.

Mac or PC? This iPod works beautifully with either a Mac or PC. The iPod syncs your contacts, video, and music via the iTunes software.

Podcasting - The iPod continues to support podcasting. Podcasts are internet radio broadcasts, and there are thousands covering nearly every subject imaginable, and more are coming out every day. Podcasts are quickly becoming popular content on iPods around the world. Check them out, for this iPod supports Podcasts out of the box. There are also video podcasts, so with the new iPod, you will be able to watch video podcasts, on the iPod's display.

Appearance - The iPod is beautiful, but the back's chrome finish is prone to scratches, and the screen can become scratched as well. It is a very good idea to protect the back of the iPod and the screen in some way. There are many cases and protectors out there, and you will surely find something you like. The new iPod is available in a black or white finish. The black color is quickly becoming the most popular, but the white iPod is still the signature color. Do note that the black may show fingerprints and scratches more than the white iPod, much as a black car shows these blemishes more than a lighter colored car.

Audiobooks - I'm always using my iPod, to listen to audiobooks. You can store literally hundreds of audiobooks on here that you buy from iTunes, or Audible. The iPod even has a feature that can slow down or speed up the reading of the audiobook, so that you hear it at just the right pace.

Output - The iPod connects to your PC or Mac via the dock connector at the bottom of the unit. You will connect the included cable, to the computer via a USB 2.0 port. Furthermore, accessories are being made that will also connect to the bottom dock port, and you may purchase Apple's Universal iPod dock, for easy syncing to your computer. The dock (available separately) also includes s-video output, so you can show off slideshows and video, on a television. There are also iPod A/V cables available that allow composite video and audio output, for connecting your iPod to your television. This might interest you, not only to display slideshows on a television, but also to display TV shows or music videos on a television, which you purchased from iTunes.

Overall, this is another excellent product from Apple Computer. The design is elegant, simple, and intuitive. It will provide hours of entertainment and convenience. Enjoy your iPod experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars The COMPLETE need to know for your 5th Gen iPod (and why it costs over $500), November 28, 2005
Cap'n LateNite (Beach Haven, LBI USA) - See all my reviews
For those of you that are about to break down and get a MP3 player (like I did), let me share a couple things about the iPod 5th Generation with Video.

1) Best Value of all the players!!!

For the 300 bucks retail, you can't beat it. The iPod Nano goes for around 50 bucks less, and it only has 4 Gb. The shuffle is cheap, but has no screen. And the other brands like iRiver, HP and Creative have some nice features compared to the non-video iPods, but generally have less storage, and you still don't get the video of the 5th Gen.

2) Is 300 bucks really 300 bucks - No! (you'll want accessories)

Think of the iPod as being like a cell phone. You get the phone, go to use it, and realize that all you got was the phone. No car adapter, no hands-free for driving, and no case to protect the phone. Well the iPod is no different. If you're like me, you'll get into your iPod the moment you upload your first 100 songs into it. Let's break it down...

2a) You need a computer.

This may sound silly, but a friend of mine won an iPod last month, and couldn't use it because he didn't have a computer at home. Hopefully you have a computer at home, and if you're still using Windows 98 as your operating system, either you're getting a new computer, or the iPod will get dusty.

2b) Charging the iPod.

The iPod comes with a USB cable that allows you to charge the iPod while connected to your computer. Now think...how are you gonna charge your iPod after using it on the plane, or at the beach? No home computer = dead battery. Cost of a 120VAC wall outlet charger can run around 30 bucks.
TIP - go to TJMaxx or Marshalls, and look around the accessories area for a knock-off brand home charger that could be as cheap as $13).

2c) Using the iPod in the car requires hardware too.

There are two choices: I) Use a cassette tape adapter to connect into the headset port on your iPod, or II) Get an FM transmitter attachment. This allows you to tune your radio to an obscure station, like 87.9FM, set the attachment to the same frequency, and your iPod will play through the radio. The first option, the cassette one, is better, but how many cars after 2000 have cassette players in them. RECOMMENDATION - the Monster brand FM transmitter with car charger cable, which goes for around 80 bucks. Connect from the cigarette lighter socket into the data port on your iPod, and not only does it let you use the iPod in the car, but unlike the AirPlay2, the FM transmitter draws power from the car, instead of the iPod. Think of your road trip from NYC to Ft. Lauderdale, using the AirPlay2, and the iPod goes dead in South Carolina and all you have left is two kinds of music - Country & Western (Thank you Jake & Elwood :)

2d) Protective Cases are a must!!!

The iPod has video, please protect your screen. When you buy it, it only comes with a soft leather sock. And the Apple stores and other retailers do not have the leather cases with screen protectors on hand yet. ADVICE - DO NOT REMOVE THE PLASTIC FROM YOUR IPOD UNTIL YOU HAVE A SCREEN PROTECTOR!!! Scratching the iPod's screen is not covered by the standard warrantee, and ruins any video you watch on it. From what I found as I searched for a case, the only cases Apple plans to offer are cotton tube-sock types, again, you can't see through these things, what good are they??? I recommend going to a 3rd party website like [...]. Cost of a iPod jacket can run upwards of 35 dollars, depending on your preference.

Bottom line - if you want the flexibility to use the iPod in the car, charge it without your PC and protect it with a case, expect to spend an additional 100+ bucks.

3) Do you want the extended warrantee? YES YOU DO!!!

Think about it, you're already dropping four bills on the iPod, the chargers, the FM transmitter and the protective case. For the extra 50+ bucks, you get the AppleCare plan for iPods. It's essentially unlimited coverage on your iPod for 2 years. And if you're getting this for your son/daughter, keep in mind - you're paying for it, not them, and they probably won't respect it for the amount you paid for it. Just do it for peace of mind. I was at a retailer over the Thanksgiving weekend, and a sales associate told me that countless 5th Gens were coming in for screen repairs, and most of the customers were less than happy when they found out they had to pay for the replacement, even if they only bought the thing a week prior. Get the warrantee.

4) iTunes and video uploads cost money too, even if you have the videos already.

I'm speaking of those "mpeg" commercial clips we all e-mail around for a 30 second laugh. I tried to upload them, and failed miserably. I found out that most mpeg files are "MUXED", or MULTIPLEXED. You'll know if your files are MUXED if they can't add to the iTunes library from your PC, or if you are lucky enough to get them into the iPod, the video plays without sound, or vice-versa. HOW TO FIX THIS - you need a couple of things. 1) You need QuickTime 7 Pro on your PC. Most of the PCs have QuickTime 7, but not the Pro version. Cost for the Pro version is $29.99. 2) This only enables conversion of video files to iVideo versions. You still need to fix your MUXED problem. This requires another software patch from Quicktime... Sorry, I forgot how much I paid when I wrote this.

Note - Quicktime is owned by Apple, what a surprise.

All in all, you could find yourself spending over five bills, like I did.

And if you ask me if it's worth it. I would say "yes" every day of the week and twice on Saturdays!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but accessories rip off customers, November 22, 2005
This is a great product (quality, design, functions..., are all great). However the battery charger is $30 (the battery charger is a necessary, if you share computer with someone else you can not charge the ipod anytime you want. How can you price a regular battery charger at $30?). The software for converting video for playing on Ipod is $30 (Ipod video only support H.264 and MPEG-4 format. Ipod video does not have video software with it, how can you rip off customers this way). A cover (to prevent scratch, Ipod is very easy to get scratch) is $30. A Universal dock is $40 (for transfer video to TV, you also need a cable to do that, $20...). I like Ipod, but I am not happy about the way they rip off customers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to reset on PC, October 15, 2006
Beware of this product. If it happens that the first computer

you connect this to is a Mac, then it is impossible to ever get

it to work with a PC again - the software required to reset

factory settings does not work for this model! I do not understand

how Apple can sell such a product without any warnings. We are

left with a gift that the recipient cannot use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, with some problems!!!!!!!!!!, May 4, 2006
First off, let me say that I have never owned an Apple Ipod before I received this 30 GB white video. Of course, Amazon's service was very satisfying, I received the Ipod in four days and it was great.

Now I am not an Apple hater, I like all of the systems but I have to say that I was highly disappointed with this item, with the exception of the first three weeks. I had just taken the Ipod out of my computer from charging to leave my house. When looking at the artists, I noticed that only about half of the artists that I had on my Ipod were being shown, I ignored it. Pretty soon when I played a song, no information from the song showed up, not the song title, album, artist, or the little picture. I called Apple and one of their people put me through a few steps and told me when I was done, everything should be okay, after I was done with what I was told to do, my computer did not even respond to the Ipod. I called Amazon and was sent a replacement using one day mail (very good service, loved it). I received the new Ipod and tried to turn it on, THE REPLACEMENT DID NOT WORK, I got this little exclamation point and the Ipod did not turn on, even after hours of charging, as I was suggested to do. I was not happy receiving a replacement for a defective $300 Ipod that turned out to be defective also. Called Amazon again and was told that they would refund me fully and I could order another one if I wished, at that point, with the quality of the Ipod, returning it and getting my money back sounded good. I then found out that the Apple Store will replace any defective Ipods, I took it there and they ran tests on the replacement and gave me a new Ipod (more quality service). This Ipod appears to be working.

The good- The sound of the Ipod is so clear, it is not even funny, I could shake it as hard as I could and it would still come out perfect. The videos, great, they come in just as clear as the music. The battery seems to be working well, I have not tested it but can tell I am getting 10 hours at the very least on a full charge. Overall, if this Ipod keeps working, I do not think that I will ever leave my Ipod behind, whether it is a 30 second walk to the bathroom or seven hour day at high school, it's great to have.

The bad- Beside what I said in the paragraph above with the replacement, there is not a lot of bad. It would be nice to be able to plug Ipod into the wall (adapter costs extra) but it is not to much of a hassle. I heard that the Ipod scratches easy, I did not take a chance, bought cases right away, the Ipod I had for three weeks, not a scratch on it, I would recommend Amazon's product Speck Products 30 GB iPod Video See-Thru Hard Case 3-Pack (Clear, Black, Red) for case protection.

Service from Apple Store and Amazon was superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars As an actual owner of this particular Ipod..., December 27, 2005
A Kid's Review
It not only plays music... not only holds pictures... it plays videos!

Pros:

-Space: As one who previously owned a 256mb mp3 player, a 30gb ipod is a MAJOR relief. It's very comforting to know that no matter how much of my music I place on it I will never exceed the (roughly) 7,500 song limit.

-Resolution: I only have few pictures on it so far, however those few that I have look absolutely wonderful! And believe it or not, the screen isn't a bit to small. It's not different than the screen on a Gameboy, and much better than a cell phone.

-Ipod 'Prestige': This means you can the great feeling of "Yes, I own and Ipod!" Isn't so important with adults as it is with the teenage crowd. The satisfaction of owning an Ipod (ooh ahhh!) is part of the package. Also, with the exception of the 40gb and 60gb models, this is basically the most up-to-date Ipod. It's like the nano, except with a bigger screen, seven times as much storage, and plays videos. Therefore, it will mostly likely take longer for this Ipod to become obsolete.

-Easy Scrolling: You can find a song by looking alphebetically through songs, artists, albums, even composers! Convinient if your looking for that one song but you don't have a clue what it's called.

-Harder to see scratches: As opposed to the black version. I've read reviews and many customers say that with a black ipod scratches are much easier to see.

Cons:

-Horror Stories: Because the Ipod is a very popular music storage system, there are no limit to horror stories about it on the market. Depleting battery life is one of the most common. Kind of makes me worried about my Ipod 24/7.

-Price (duh!): It takes alot to shell out $300+ for something you can fit in your hand (it takes alot to shell out $300 for anything).

-Itunes: I happen to have a 2000+ song collection in Windows Media Player. Imagine my dismay when I found that all 2000+ songs were going to have to be converted to AAC format. And with 20-35 seconds to convert each song... well... let's just say I don't have my whole collection on itunes.

-Earbuds: Yes I know, such a small con. But these are nasty little devils! After listening for twenty minutes with those things I had an earache that lasted an hour (and no, my music was NOT too loud).

-Accessories: And you thought paying $300 for the ipod itself was bad. Now you have to $30 for a case (heaven forbid a scratch or fingerprints got on it) and +$30 for a plug-in charger! This is a huge pet peeve I have. Apple dropped the price of ipods, then jacked up the price of accessories.

All in all, I love my Ipod to death. I realize I do have more cons than pros, but its easier to find negatives with anything than positives.

However, if you are completely unconcerned with the Ipod Craze, than you might want to choose a music player that possesses the same qualities but a different brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is it. The best gadget of the century, December 23, 2005
HLN (Orlando, FL) - See all my reviews
I got this video iPod 30G a few weeks ago. Went ahead and put on invisibleShield on it right after openning the Apple box and I am glad to say that my beautiful iPod is well protected. Who wants to hide this awesome piece of art in a protective case. Back to the iPod. I give it a 5 stars because of the the audio quality, style and design. I am just so impressed with Apple. Everything about this iPod is well thought out. The video is extremely clear (even under invisibleShield). There will never be anything on the market that come close to the iPod. I was the same guy who thought that what is the big deal with iPod and made all the excuses not to buy it. I am here to tell you that I am fully converted and if you are reading this, go and get one. Believe me the audio quality will knock your socks off. I can't say enough on this. I will name my first child iPod 30G Nguyen and I am not kidding. This is the BMW of MP3 player.

4.0 out of 5 stars Music, video and more, November 17, 2006
Thomas E. Tweedel (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I recently purchased a 30G I-Pod Video and thought I would share some thoughts/discoveries. This little thing is turning out to be more than I thought it was

I've been lusting for an I-pod ever since they came out. But somethings always stopped me. The combination of the price/features/size/battery life/etc just put it out of reach. Apple not too long ago release a re-vamped I-pod Video, 30G. My entire music collection is under 6G so I wanted something that would hold it all and then some. I was going to go for new 8G nano but my wife kept pestering me to get the Video instead. It was a toss up mainly on the physical size issue. But I decided that the 30G was slim enough that could handle it.

I thought the video feature was a neat gimic. I mean why would I want to watch something on the really small screen vs the computer or my wifes bigger screen PDA. Well she's always got the PDA so that ruled that out. Ok, so I've got 30G's. I can always use it as a portable HD right? More music than I'll ever own and I can use it as a photo wallet.

The important thing is that this thing is small enough to fit comfortably in any pocket (the thinness really helps here). The music was a given. No mystery there. Are these MP3's and AAC's true CD quality? No, but after a while I really stop noticing. The hit in quality is well worth the portability. I could either NOT listen to the music where I was (even at home) because of noise/movement issues or I could have this thing wherever I went. Now your life has a soundtrack. Got that song in your head you want to hear, no problem, click away and its going. The "surprise" me feature is neat. Just fire it up in a menu and hit play, songs come at you at random. Its an interesting trip when you realize you haven't listened to that song in years, even more interesting when "where did this come from" and the even more interesting "was I drunk when I put that on" oh wait, I don't drink..

Of course the UI is really cool, the way it interfaces with Itunes works well. Main thing is it makes it really easy to create a list of songs for every occasion. Want some going to sleep music, pull 10 mellow tunes into a playlist. Workout music, same thing. Feeling life kind of sucks as you go to bed alone, make a list for that too full of I'm hurtin lyrics. Hit sync and pop, the lists are there and you can scroll through them, look at the list and pick your starting point. They'll run sequentally or randomly, your choice. The UI is what the Ipod is all about.

Ok, so I had music down. What about the photos. Well that was a little more frustrating. It really wants to use I-photo to manage them. You can manage them manually but it's a bit of a paid, way too much clicking. So fine, I'll bring some JPGS into Iphoto. Painless enough. Syncs them up pretty good and presto, each album is on there. Scroll through them at rapid speed or hit the slideshow and use a playlist for theme music. Its not a serious photo viewer, more of a wallet. Someone asks how are the kids or what did you do this weekend, don't just tell them, show them. Converted photos (320x240) don't take much space. So yea, the photo feature is kind of cool, has a few uses.

So that leaves me scratching my head on the video. Went digging around the net and found some software that would rip DVD's straight to Ipod video format. Poked around and finally got it to work. Slapped a couple of video's (don't take much space) and watched some stuff. Kind of neat, though hardly my preferred method. Quality does take a hit since the screen is so small. Sound is usually better though. I don't think I would use this for "first run" watching. But for "re-run" type watching its ok. I discovered another use was that you can take it with you anywhere in the house. Putting the baby to sleep, watch your video while your just laying there waiting for them to pass out. Kind of cool. Its also a great thing to have when your "in line". Was waiting at the govt office yesterday. I'm number D041 and they are on A012. Oh boy. So I pulled it out and rewatched some stuff. Cool.

Unexpected use was as a pacifier. It can (sometimes) be used as a tool to settle the kid down. I've ripped a few of his favorite shows on it but he's real keen on the photo slideshow of his antics.

So last night I was on Itunes poking around. You can buy Movies and TV shows, its about 2/3 the price of a DVD for the same material. Not enough to make me bite, I'd rather buy the DVD and then rip it. But they have these little things called podcasts. I've known about podcasts for years but never really paid them much mind. Put now that I had an Ipod...

Podcasts can be very cool. They now can be both audio and video. So they are little clips of something. National Geo has some cool stuff. A 15 minute video of the adventures of a seal with a camera attached to it as he swims around. From the discovery Channel I've got a 20 minute audio program on why Europe hates America. Should be interesting. But something that was really cool was the language lessons. Kind of like the usual language on CD, except you don't have 10 CD's to fiddle with, its all one unit. But as really nifty feature on the better ones is that the text of the lesson is there as well. With each of these files (audio or video) you can have text associated with it. So while your listening to the lesson you flick over to that and read along. Its like having the booklet with you. That is really cool when it comes to learning.

There are a LOT of podcasts out there. Nova, NPR, BBC and many others put out some programs focused on specific interests. For example "Today in Medicine..."

kind of stuff. Wow. Theres more than you can listen to and with the Itunes UI its easy enough to get and keep track of. If I spent a lot of time on the road I'd seriously consider the car adaptor and keeping up with the latest in something. Really neat.

So if your thinking about an I-pod its really become more than a expensive MP3 player. I think buying music at Itunes is cheap and easy. If it's a lot of music I'll just spring for the CD. But I don't feel like paying $18 for one good song I hear on the radio and 12 tracks of crap.

I'm sure you could do a lot of this with other MP3 players. Having the screen to keep all your info in context is a very nice plus. The UI is brilliant and that video thing is getting to be more than a gimmick.

There are a few minor cons-

First is no sleep timer. Shut off after X minutes. Accidentally hit play and not realize it until you go to listen again and your battery is dead.

I'm still unsure on battery life. I've not timed it but for the 30G its not forever. You can watch a full length movie, probably somewhere between 2.5-3 hours off of a full charge. Mixed use of 4-5 hours seems to take it down to half life, but then the battery life indicator seems to go a little wild at times. I'm guessing a full charge will get you 10-12 hours of audio if you just listen and to spend too much time diving the menus.

You've GOT to get some form of scratch protection. You breath on the thing and it scratches. I got the Invisible shield which is a plastic film stick on type protection. You can still use the pod in all the chargers and docks and whatnot. But in the 2 weeks before I got it I managed to get the back scratched a little bit. So make your protection part of your purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful device, but poor battery and video is a chore., January 1, 2006
I could bore you with technical aspects, or I could offer a more personal review of the iPod 30GB white (with video). Considering the majority of purchasers, I'm sure, aren't incredibly tech-savvy, I will go with the latter. I will offer this: I am using a PC. ;P

The device is great, but it isn't as user-friendly as it lets on. The BIGGEST problem I have with Apple is that they never keep their older generation iPods on the shelves (thereby lessening the price), but instead upgrade with peripheral features such as photo, video, album covers, and other unnecessary acoutrements to keep consistent $300 and $400 price tags.

If you want the iPod as a strict mp3 player, it's great. Sound is clear, and iTunes makes the organizing of files an absolute breeze. Insert CD, copy files, drag files over, and voila. The iPod click-wheel interface is a dream to use, and the screen is bright, vibrant, and full of color. Thin, easy to carry, and with lots of curb appeal, it's a wonderful .mp3 device.

-----

But THIS iPOD WILL SCRATCH! I kept the initial plastic stick-layer on my iPod, and immediately put it into a work-out sleeve so I haven't had any front-side scratches, but the back side has a few. My cousin received the black 30GB video iPod for Christmas, and she made the mistake of peeling off that plastic. 3 days out, her iPod is already noticably scratched. So watch it! Keeping it in a work-out sleeve may not be as cool as showing off your sleek iPod, but it's worth it. Caveat emptor.

-----

Anyhoot. I have had no qualms with the player as far as mp3s so far, but this device is fairly cumbersome in the following areas (most of them are the marketing/flash-n-pop areas). I have worked around them so far (excepting battery life), but for many users I'll see some roadblocks:

- Battery Life. It is abysmal. 2.5 hours of music play on shuffle drained about 1/3 of my iPod battery. Worse, this iPod does not come with a wall-charger! Luckily I am not an iPod addict, and am content to leave it connected to my computer when I am home for play purposes -- this way it can (slowly) replenish through the USB connection.

- Album cover art. All of the iPod promo show that you can display the album cover art next to the songs when you're playing. You sure can -- with a bit of work! If you want this feature, you need to manually input the album art (copy/paste from somewhere online) to the tracks once they're in the iTunes library (and BEFORE you put them on the iPod!). They do not automatically download, like when you put a CD in the computer and play it on Windows Media Player. Blah. What a chore.

- Video conversion. Quicktime/iTunes Music Store is the biggest scam on the planet. You cannot save quicktime files, so bye-bye favorite movies. And because of the necessary .mp4 video format, most movies will not play on the iPod. You need a video converter. Now you can pay $30USD for QuicktimePro, or download a shareware, non-Apple program to convert. Either way, it takes a lot of legwork. If you want to take advantage of iPod video (aside from select films with iPod-ready downloadable movie trailers through Apple's web site), it will take more effort.

- Lack of hardware accessories. No wall-charger, no (real) protective sleeve, and the manual is online. Nothing notifies a novice straight out-of-the-box that you need to manually disconnect the iPod like a piece of hardware. If you don't, it might cause some problems.

Overall, this is a great .mp3 player, and once I got the necessary kinks out (mostly re: video), I have taken advantage of the additional features. But it will take a lot of extra work that some users and households may not be prepared for. Video is nice, but a major battery drain and not worth the price.

Apple should honestly keep out their older "generations" so that consumers can purchase a more affordable, strict .mp3 player from Apple, rather than throw ill-prepared flash features at an unexpected audience.

Overall:

+ 4 stars for the mp3 player, design, ease of navigation and access.

- 1 star for lack of accessories (charger!), and very unclear instructions regarding the video/photo/album cover features that are so heavily marketed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A functional work of art! What a great business expense..., January 11, 2006
Alan "Choklat Luvr" (Sanford, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I have only come to the world of iPod recently and, I admit, somewhat reluctantly. I started with a Nano which I have been very happy with. Recently it occured to me that an iPod 5G could serve very nicely as an external backup drive so I immediately ordered one (can you spell "Business Expense"?)

Here is what I love about my iPod:

1) Beauty
2) Clear, crisp, large display for videos
3) Got to love that click wheel interface
4) iTunes, the best software bundled with an MP3 player that I've seen.
5) Great battery life... this thing will last through a full day of travel.
6) 30GB is enough to back up just about everything on my laptop!
7) The ear buds that come with this iPod are actually very nice, comfortable, stay in my ears (thats the big one!) and have good sound.
8) Equalizer, I got my rock and roll sound goin on!
9) I love the clock feature, I setup all the time zones that I could want with a separate clock; from Hawaii thru Florida.
10) I downloaded my calendar and contacts from Outlook so now my reminders show up on the iPod, how cool is that!
11) I love rating my songs as I listen to them on the iPod; lets face it I'm a ratings-aholic!

Now you may be wondering, why didn't I give this baby 5 stars?

1) Where are the accessories? you might as well tack on an extra $100 to the price of this for the accessories you will need to buy: AC adapter ($30), case ($30), etc...
2) I get frustrated with the fact that I have to plug this thing into a computer to do anything with it. At the very least I would like to be able to delete songs. And why can't I modify playlist settings and stuff like that?
3) You better just buy a case for this before you even take it out of the box, and even with my case on it I see it is getting scratched.
4) I'm a little miffed with Apple that they sabotaged my favorite player (MusicMatch) so it won't work with the iPod :( At least my Rhapsody can talk to it...

You've been warned, now get on out there and buy yourself one of these puppies. I vote the iPod Video my favorite business expense of the year!

Rate and Discover Movies