Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 37 questions
vote
Start using Apple Lossless and get Uncompressed Music....that will blow away any MP3 file! Bummer of it is it will take up more room. 120 GB will still fit more than 6000 songs in Apple Lossless Quality is always better than Quantity Magoo
Oct 21, 2008 by Larry Megugorac
vote
okay, so hopefully, this is somewhat helpful, to the questions here. sorry it's so long, brevity is not my strong suit. i have a 30GB fifth gen iPod like your daughter has and an 80GB iPod classic--and they made a lot of changes when they released the iPod classic (6th gen) and those changes continue into the current 120GB iPod classic model. a lot of your accessories will no longer work with ANY iPod classic (80, 160, or 120GB.) the dock pin arrangement (i believe it is 30 pin) remains the same...so i am fairly confident that the stereo dock and alarm clock will still work. (i have an luna alarm clock, which is kind of like an iHome and other devices, and with the proper dock connector, both my 30GB and iPod classic work). the car accessory kit very likely will not work, but i'm not sure which particular one you have. one particularly annoying change if you hooked your iPod up to the tv to watch videos, is that the a/v cable that works with the 30GB (and similar 5th gen iPods) that cost a mere $19 will no longer work. with any iPod classic (or iPod touch, etc.--post-classic models) you need the new a/v cable which connects via the dock connector and costs $49-$59. a good rule of thumb is that if the accessory in question goes through the headphone jack, as was fairly common for accessories in all models previous to the iPod classic, it is very likely to no longer work. (if it is straight up just transferring audio like the wires available to connect it to external speakers, that will work however.) if it involves the dock pin connector (like docking it in an alarm clock) it probably will work. and some old accessories can be used if you buy their apple dock, and then connect it via that, but many accessories will still not work. it kind of sucks that apple did this, to put it mildly. i called apple specifically to ask if any changes had been to the pin arrangement (which would basically mean dock connected items would no longer be compatible) and they said it remains the same for the current 120GB iPod classic as the previous iPod classic (80/160GB), which in turn is the same as the 30/60GB and 40/80GB iPod video models. here's where it gets tricky--and this is to s.m. walsh as well. the 80GB and 120GB and the 30GB that your daughter and i have are essentially the same dimensions (it may be lighter, but for example, i use the exact same "hard polycarbonate form fitting case" for my 30GB as my 80GB, and cases now being sold are advertised generally as working for 80GB and 120GB, so i'm assuming the basic dimensions remain the same.) (i haven't looked at the exact tech specs.) the 160GB iPod classic is a two plate hard drive system, instead of a one plate system like the 30/80/120GB. so, it is heavier and the dimensions (thickness, etc.) are different. so while the dock pin arrangement remains the same (it will connect to the same a/v cables for example) if you have something that is fitted to particular dimensions, the 160GB being thicker and slightly larger you may have issues. MOST dockable devices though are adjustable to accomodate the difference in size of various iPods, and usually all you need is the right dock connector...but if it is something more restrictive, you may have a problem. i hope this has been helpful. again, my information comes from calling apple and from being an a bit of a tech geek. ***i have been under the impression that the two plate versus one plate hard drive system, made the two plate different dimensions and heavier. i had actually read, i believe it was mac world, that was one speculated reason (of many) why apple discontinued the option for a larger capacity HD with the iPod classic was their constant quest for lighter, thinner iPods. however, i just read someone's post on another forum that said they own the 80GB and 160GB and that they are the same dimensions. so i'm not so sure now who to believe, so i suggest you look at the tech specs. i'd like to be super helpful and go do that for you, but i've been sitting at the computer too long typing up this original post.***
Dec 6, 2008 by Christina Ovalle
votes
We have an ipod nano 2gb model, and also the ipod classic 80 gb model. We have loaded audio books on both. The 80 gb works best because it can hold more. We subscribe to audible.com and download our books from them. They download and transfer right into itunes, easy as can be. Our Ipod classic has over 100 books, plus some music, on it and there's still lots of room left. Audible.com has ten of thousands of books including bestsellers, non-fiction, radio shows, and podcasts. I've subscribed for over 5 years I think, and I've never been disappointed.
Dec 16, 2008 by Debbie Winn
votes
I had the same question, so today I contacted Amazon. They directed me to Apple iPod Support, where I was assured by a Rep named "Ivy", that Amazon is an approved Dealer and there IS a one year warranty. ALSO...during that first year you can also purchase an additional 2 year warranty from Apple for around $60.00 on this item. Hope that helps. Let me know.
Apr 13, 2009 by Tina V.
votes
I have a 60 GB too, it holds everything - audiobooks, podcasts, entire music collection, etc. I listen to my podcasts through the car dock, and I use playlists at work (I teach yoga, and would never listen to that kind of music just for fun, lol). But, it really is too big and heavy to work out with - hanging from my waistband, I was afraid it would either pull my pants down or fall off and break! So, my hubby got me an iPod Shuffle for Christmas 2007, and it's the world's most perfect workout buddy. I keep it loaded with all my pumped-up fun tunes and I actually look forward to working out. Plus it clips right to my shirt and weighs like an ounce, so it's perfect. I'd never give up either one of them!
Jan 23, 2009 by J. Peplinski
votes
The same thing happened to me, and the only way I found to successfully transfer all the files from the iPod (not just the purchases, which transfer as a default) was to download The Aiseesoft iPod to computer transfer software at: http://www.topshareware.com/Aiseesoft-iPod-to-Computer-Transfer-download-65289.htm It says there's a "free trial", but the free version only lets you transfer about 30 songs before you have to pay for it. For full usage, the software is $19.00. I found it well worth-it, however, as the dowload was REALLY quick and easy to use. You just open up the program and connect your iPod, and in about a minute every music file will pop up in the window that's on your iPod. They then have the option to "transfer files to desktop", which basically then creates a new folder that you can import into your iTunes library. The only issue I had was that it doesn't preserve your playlist data, so I had to re-make mine. It also only detects music files, so if you had downloaded movies that weren't bought off iTunes, they won't come up. Photos aren't detected, but they are somehow saved anyway - I didn't lose mine. And if you've already transferred your purchases, doing this can create doubles in your library (since the software re-adds the purchases to the library, along with everything else). This isn't a big deal, as you can individually select the files you want to transfer (instead of one-click transfer which just does everything), and also just delete the duplicates in the library if you do choose to do the one-click transfer. I'm not sure if there's any free software available (it'd make me mad if there is, as I've already spent the money), but I guarantee you that this will work - and it's easy. To me, the money's worth it if it saves me from spending forever trying to find another option. After you transfer everything to the library and plug your iPod back in, you'll probably get a little pop-up message that asks if you want to replace your iPod's contents with the new library. I did this just to re-sync everything, and just so nothing on my iPod wasn't on my iTunes (like YouTube videos I had downloaded and placed on there). It took a little while for it to delete and then replace the files, but it made me feel like I had really started over and had everything re-synced. But only do this if you are sure everything you want has been transferred to your library! Otherwise, you can lose things you might still want. I know this was long, but hopefully it helped!
Mar 5, 2009 by Rachel Lynch
votes
The nano's are more reliable than the Classic versions. My old 60GB failed 3 times over the course of 4yrs while my 2nd gen Nano has never failed and I've had it for 3yrs. I have this 120GB Classic now though and it's been going strong for 6 months.
Feb 19, 2009 by The Gifted One
votes
No it does not
3 days ago by labobo93
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers