Is "Apple iPod classic 160 GB Black (7th Generation)" compatible with linux?? It says it is, just wanna be sure
asked by ca_arosemena on November 21, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 answers
A
ipod requires itunes to load music and itunes isn't compatible. I can't even run itunes reliably in a virtual machine and it is the first USB device in 10 years that has that honor. Apple apparently did something nasty in the usb driver to thwart it being too friendly a device.

I keep an old P4 around just to run itunes.
A. Felson answered on February 28, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
have you tried doing away with iTune and use WinAmp Pro instead? It's windows based and user friendly. iTunes sucks big time!
Bearlight answered on April 25, 2013
Comment (1) | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Agreed. I have tried 3rd party products, but am still hampered by the nasty apple usb driver which prevents use on linux. I've also tried some native linux products, but the database is very easily corrupted and I got tired of it spending 20 hours to download what should have taken 2 hours on any less user hostile product only to discover that the database was still empty. I tend to alternate between using winamp or itunes. I load the device less than twice a year due to the pain involved. I keep newer albums on my android phone.
A. Felson answered on April 25, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I am using gtkpod in Debian Wheezy to load/update my iPod Classic 160GB with no problem. Using ALAC files.
Bo answered on February 10, 2014
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›